Who on BR has bought a 'cheap' Chinese carbon frame?

Comments

• gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    yaya
    I've searched through some of the eBay shops and saw that almost none comes with a braze-on front mech bracket, saving const and meaning that you have to use a band-on mech...I wonder if the frame comes with instructions on how much torque can be applied when fitting it? That's One area where Carbon can easily fail if not handled properly...

If anyone is retarded enough to think that they need to wrench up a FD clamp so tight it breaks the frame then they need to think about giving it to someone with a brain to build it for them.
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Garnett...I think you're right, you won't get many people coming out saying their bikes are a pile of crud unless something breaks etc. I'm also going to guess that the majority of people buying these Chinese frames and wheels do not have experience of the high end gear everyone likes to compare them to. So feedback is likely to be less balanced and useful and more hysterical or just "looks great!". I'm not saying the frames and wheels or good or bad btw. Just how many people buying the carbon wheels have ridden a pair of boras for eg?

I did read some comments from a guy on ww who had some of these frames and also high end gear. His opinion was the china stuff was ok but nowhere near on par with a cervelo/colnago or whatever when pushed, he was particularly down on the stiffness of the forks if I remember.

Im def interested in trying the 38 or 50 mm rims.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    Garnett wrote:

...Not many people are big enough to say, "You know what, I made a big mistake"....

I wouldn't say it was a big mistake but I've had a moan about my RB002 frame from Carbonzone (FM0028 Frame elsewhere) a while back which I bought.

The bottle cage bosses are loose in the frame, and after many many emails toing and froing Carbonzone wanted me to send back at my expense even though it's their poor manuafacturing. It would cost me around £120 to post back, then I would be without a bike for god knows how long. I knew returns would be a problem, but thought it would be worth a punt for the price.

However, I was also going to buy a TT frame from him but I don't think I'll bother now.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Chaoswill wrote:
    Just finished my Chinarello for a smidge over £1K and can't be happier.

6008344781_d9b95b6032_b.jpg

One can only imagine the amount of make-up your missus wears if that monstrosity brings you joy ...

What if you end up having a skirmish with a car and then their insurance asks about the reliability of your bike ... Mind you, you could paint the wheelchair to look like a Porsche ...
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    One can only imagine the amount of make-up your missus wears if that monstrosity brings you joy ...

What if you end up having a skirmish with a car and then their insurance asks about the reliability of your bike ... Mind you, you could paint the wheelchair to look like a Porsche ...

Jesus, get over it. The Cannondale marketing department made a playground of your ass, these things happen. No-one likes bitterness - look at what happened to NapD FFS.
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    gaddster wrote:
    yaya
    I've searched through some of the eBay shops and saw that almost none comes with a braze-on front mech bracket, saving const and meaning that you have to use a band-on mech...I wonder if the frame comes with instructions on how much torque can be applied when fitting it? That's One area where Carbon can easily fail if not handled properly...

If anyone is retarded enough to think that they need to wrench up a FD clamp so tight it breaks the frame then they need to think about giving it to someone with a brain to build it for them.

How much is "so tight"?

One of the reasons for using braze-on brackets is that they do not create a pressure point on the seat-tube and this is true not only for Carbon frames
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    it just needs a nip and not so you're standing on it to tighten. 4nm max I'd say
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • Crankbrother
    P_Tucker wrote:

Jesus, get over it. The Cannondale marketing department made a playground of your ass, these things happen. No-one likes bitterness - look at what happened to NapD FFS.

What's Cannondale got to do with anything? I just don't like people showing off their fake 'lifestyle' products ... Buy what you can afford, not fake what you can't ...
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker wrote:

What's Cannondale got to do with anything? I just don't like people showing off their fake 'lifestyle' products ... Buy what you can afford, not fake what you can't ...

Why don't you like it? What difference does it make to you?
  • Crankbrother
    I think the real question is what does it matter to you ...

All that money, all that effort, for something that, deep down, you know is worth absolutely nothing more than the groupset and cables ...

Think of it this way, why not trade the missus (or mister) in for a blow up doll ... The hair might be blonder, the irritation more bearable, the experience ... Well, you decide on the rest ...
  • P_Tucker

All that money, all that effort, for something that, deep down, you know is worth absolutely nothing more than the groupset and cables ...

Its a bike. A real Pinarello is a bike. It goes 99.9999999% of the speed of a real Pinarello, but it cost 10% as much. It was probably made in the same factory in the far east. It looks great at the cafe - when you're as sh!t at cycling as me, this is crucial.

Explain to me what, exactly, I'm getting for the extra 3 grand? Other than the feeling of owning "the real thing" (which I personally value at about £1.34) and some vague concerns that my fork might disintegrate at high speed (which can happen on any bike). Oh, and the very real threat of a police occifer knocking down my garage door and confiscating my Chinarello?

Regardless, it seems to bother you no end, which I confess amuses me greatly.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    P_Tucker wrote:

Its a bike. A real Pinarello is a bike. It goes 99.9999999% of the speed of a real Pinarello, but it cost 10% as much. It was probably made in the same factory in the far east. It looks great at the cafe - when you're as sh!t at cycling as me, this is crucial.

Explain to me what, exactly, I'm getting for the extra 3 grand? Other than the feeling of owning "the real thing" (which I personally value at about £1.34) and some vague concerns that my fork might disintegrate at high speed (which can happen on any bike). Oh, and the very real threat of a police occifer knocking down my garage door and confiscating my Chinarello?

Regardless, it seems to bother you no end, which I confess amuses me greatly.

So you're basically all fur coat and no knickers?
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • garnett
    garnett Posts: 196
    Hmmm. Percy Vera, thanks for the honest appraisal. Personally the two big incentives for me are a good quality frame at a very good price, and the opportunity to have something in my colour design not massively branded.

Everyone's diifferent, and each to his own, but I have absolutely no interest in trying to make a bike and slap on lots of lairy stickers to brand it like a bike costing a lot more.

I think I'll leave alone.

I suppose all this should mean costs come down generally... Or just that we get a more honest breakdown of costs - ie, this is for the frame, this is for the warranty, this is for the indemnity insurance!
  • Can some of the doogooders who read this thread tell me the authenticity of these and if a crime is being committed?

http://bit.ly/pcwNpP
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    Without a shadow of a doubt,

Chinese frame

Chinese wheels

All branded up to be something else, i am going to watch these two listings with interest

Evilbay, absolutley shocking!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Can't see from the details of the pics whether these are genuine or not - I'd be more suspicious of the Pinarello as I haven't seen anyone try to fake an EPS (yet!). The EPS frame is too small for the rider - stack of spacers plus flipped stem looks wrong.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    Wouldn't be surprised if fake components too but agree obvious fakes
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • Evil Laugh
    The EPS is def being faked. They're available in matt black and pr99/White.
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    EPS down tube is way too thin, head tube lug is too small/not tapered, EPS need braze-on front mechs, forks don't fit correctly, paint scheme is wrong . . .

Don't know much about Pina's but the obvious bit for me is the external cable routing
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Can't see from the details of the pics whether these are genuine or not - I'd be more suspicious of the Pinarello as I haven't seen anyone try to fake an EPS (yet!). The EPS frame is too small for the rider - stack of spacers plus flipped stem looks wrong.

Here is the EPS as advertised on Alibaba,http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/806051/210942093-436040721/wholesale-Free-shipping-2011-COLNAGO-EPS-carbon-road-bike-frame-and-fork-52Medium-520MM-BLACK-EPS.html
    Also available is bar/stem and seatpin from Colnago. Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ademort wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

Here is the EPS as advertised on Alibaba,http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/806051/210942093-436040721/wholesale-Free-shipping-2011-COLNAGO-EPS-carbon-road-bike-frame-and-fork-52Medium-520MM-BLACK-EPS.html
    Also available is bar/stem and seatpin from Colnago. Ademort

Presumably that is a monocoque masquerading as a lugged frame bike. Quite funny really! (in a way)

Most Colnagos would be pretty hard to fake I'd have thought - no one can match Colnago for tacky colour schemes!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    That's just disgusting....

The Dogma is sold as "new" with old mechs/ shifters, a round seat tube/ post (?) and an SLK chainset with SRAM stickers...

This is just some lowlife trying to make a few £££ on flogging fake DIY bikes, he's probably got the Colnago from here:

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/806051/210942093-436041121/wholesale-Free-shipping-2011-COLNAGO-EPS-carbon-road-bike-frame-and-fork-45-Small-515MM-WHITE.html

Check his feedback and see how many purchases he's done with e.g. carbonzone and

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/e_baygoods/
  • Bloody hell, someone has bid on the Colnago....Pinarello removed from sale though
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    The EPS has Ergo Shiters! Are they fake Ergo Shifters? :D
  • Evil Laugh
    Can I suggest someone reports the eps as fake on eBay before this poor sod gets ripped off?

I reported both bikes as fake, prob why the dogma got removed. I pointed out the derailleur fitting and cable routing as signs but maybe more could be highlighted. The eps should have a colnago sig on the non driveside of top tube and I'm sure the wc stripes on the logo on the downtube should be symmetrical, ie at the bb end of the panel on both sides.
  • Evil Laugh
    Might be wrong about the symmetry bit.
  • You could always bid up to a ridiculous amount and refuse to pay :wink:
  • Chaoswill wrote:
    Just finished my Chinarello for a smidge over £1K and can't be happier.

6008344781_d9b95b6032_b.jpg

What exactly is ugly about this bike? It looks stunning and he's done it for a fraction of the cost? Only he knows that it's a fake when he's out on it, and if he is ok with that, what is the problem?

Regardless, there's no need to get personal about it is there?
  • P_Tucker
    Yeah, I quite liked it too - needs a white seat clamp and a black pump (or better still no pump) though. Also, pedals MUST match cranks. But these are minor points, I'll give it 9/10. No, wait - 8/10 - needs to cut steerer tube down.

Certainly looks better than any Cannondale
  • Crankbrother
    One just assumes that cheap is the watchword in all walks of life ...