Who on BR has bought a 'cheap' Chinese carbon frame?

Comments

• gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    My FM015 is 90% cobbled together now, will start adjusting the bars, saddle, cables etc now

Fm015shimano105.jpg
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • cabbage1879
    cabbage1879 Posts: 113
    Nice wallpaper. :?
  • Hurrah, my FM015 arrived yesterday!
    On first inspection it looks very well finished and the paintjob, although not complex, has been done well, and certainly a bargain at $60.

Just need to decide whether to 'brand' it or keep it clean.

Apologies for poor phone pic...

Photo%20Jul%2021%2C%2020%2003%2035.jpg

Looks good, could have some fun with branding :twisted:
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • campagone
    campagone Posts: 270
    Came across this frame on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Light-C ... =RTM687476

Does anyone know if its a branded frame in disguise?
    Has internal gear cable routing and all.
    If anything it looks a nicer frame than my FM028
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    gb155 wrote:
    My FM015 is 90% cobbled together now, will start adjusting the bars, saddle, cables etc now

Fm015shimano105.jpg

So you get a frame with 'aggressive' geometry and then put a stem like that on it :?
    More problems but still living....
  • mcrdave
    mcrdave Posts: 501
    campagone wrote:
    Came across this frame on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Light-C ... =RTM687476

Does anyone know if its a branded frame in disguise?
    Has internal gear cable routing and all.
    If anything it looks a nicer frame than my FM028

thats a new one, not seen that before, wonder how heavy it is in 57cm, have asked for geometry. cheers for the heads up on that
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    amaferanga wrote:
    So you get a frame with 'aggressive' geometry and then put a stem like that on it :?

I agree. Cue excuses and spacers. Ultimately it doesn't matter to us, whether the guy will like his bike as much with a gert spacer stack or find it uncomfortable without one is where it does matter. There were enough spacers on the knock off 'trek'....

My advice is never buy a bike that doesn't fit you.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Finally got my Chinarello built up looks ok to me, what do you think.e[img][/img]afbeelding.jpg
    By ademort at 2011-07-24
    afbeelding181.jpg
    By ademort at 2011-07-24

Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • ademort wrote:
    Finally got my Chinarello built up looks ok to me, what do you think

Wow :), I love it
    exercise.png
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    ademort wrote:
    Finally got my Chinarello built up looks ok to me, what do you think.

Ademort

Finally! :roll: Looks lovely. Fake parts look good as well. Ride report soon?
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • ademort
    Aggieboy wrote:
    ademort wrote:
    Finally got my Chinarello built up looks ok to me, what do you think.

Ademort

Finally! :roll: Looks lovely. Fake parts look good as well. Ride report soon?

Be patient Aggieboy, ride report tomorrow, big ride planned. Would have gone out today but was busy with the kids as they come first.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • cabbage1879
    Looking good ademort. Any chance you can put up the email addy you used?
  • ademort wrote:
    Finally got my Chinarello built up looks ok to me, what do you think.e[img][/img]afbeelding.jpg
    By ademort at 2011-07-24
    afbeelding181.jpg
    By ademort at 2011-07-24

Ademort

Slightly understated, but maybe some red bartape? :wink:
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Understated is not the word, but it looks pretty sweet.

I had my first ride on mine this evening it felt light, responsive and very fast. I'll post some finished pics with a full ride report when I get a chance. So far I've been impressed throughout the build and first ride.
  • ademort
    Bought the frame from here http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/900790 $630 including postage money well spent if you ask me.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • ademort
    First ride out today, Wow, it really is amazing, great accelaration on the flat it absorbs the bumps in the road really well. For the money i am delighted, if you can get a better bargain for the price then i have yet to see it.The only minor problems with the frame when it arrived were paint in the bosses, down tube and seattube but that,s easy to sort out. There was also paint in the small hole under the BB where the front mech cable goes through the frame but again thats easy to sort out. I also felt a little rough patch inside the seattube area which prevented me from fitting the seatpin but a few minutes of sanding and that problem was sorted out too.The frame is well finished as you can see in the pictures and i would def buy one again.
    Just some info for anyone wanting to buy a chinarello, firstly they do not come with bottle cage screws or the downtube derailleur adjusters so you will need to buy these yourself. Also as i found out you may need to buy extra long nuts to secure the brake calipers to the frame depending on what make of calipers you have. BB is English thread, seatpin is 31.6mm and you need a band on front mech. If you now have a braze on front mech you can buy an adaptor size 35mm and you also need a seat clamp size 34.9mm.. Hope i have been of some help with the extra info.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    ademort wrote:
    First ride out today, Wow, it really is amazing, great accelaration on the flat it absorbs the bumps in the road really well.

I've written an outline for a review for mine which I'm willing to sell to CyclingPlus for a reasonable fee:

- I can really feel the power being transferred to the road - its so light and responsive.
    - The curved seat-stays really absorb the road vibration making me less fatigued at the end of a long ride.
    - the slightly relaxed geometry made those long rides far more comfortable
    - It corners like its on rails.
    - E-ev-ven o-o-ver cob-b-bles the asy-y-met-t-tric sta-ays ma-ake it fee-eel li-ike you-ou're ri-id-ing on-n a-a tr-ra-raaack
    - the asymetric design means that the force I apply to the bike will be balanced evenly across the entire frame, resulting in less force dispersion, greater efficiency and, of course, more speed for me!
    - We did a quick calculation and worked out that the frame achieved 110% efficiency by channelling cross winds through the frame and into the pedal stroke, whilst at the same time maintaining uni-lateral stiffness throughout the main triangle

I'm definitely going to get a silver standard time on my favourite sportive next year.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    ademort wrote:
    By ademort at 2011-07-24
    afbeelding181.jpg
    By ademort at 2011-07-24

Ademort
    You've put the tyres on upside down for a start.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • ptr_
    ptr_ Posts: 126
    Herbsman wrote:
    Agreed.

The valve should be between the W and A of Schwalbe, but thats just jealously talking - looks gorgeous! :D
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    The decals are also in the wrong place ... £3-4k to the left would be better ...
  • cabbage1879
    ademort wrote:
    Bought the frame from here http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/900790 $630 including postage money well spent if you ask me.
    Ademort

Cheers mate, i've sent them a few emails in the last 2 weeks but haven't heard anything back at all.

:?
  • ademort
    ptr_ wrote:
    Herbsman wrote:
    Agreed.

The valve should be between the W and A of Schwalbe, but thats just jealously talking - looks gorgeous! :D

I am gonna have to change the tyres or i,m not gonna sleep at night. :D:D
    Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • petemadoc
    Here's mine pretty much finished, I'll post a full build list in the "your rides" section

madog.jpg

Brought through carbonzone, custom decals from spincollective.co.uk

Need to buy a new saddle, I put a new Arione on to begin with but didn't suit so it's got my tatty old one on for now.

A guy off road bike review gave me the illustrator file for this and I thought it was pretty cool.

toray.jpg
  • P_Tucker
    ademort wrote:
    ptr_ wrote:
    Herbsman wrote:
    Agreed.

I am gonna have to change the tyres or i,m not gonna sleep at night. :D:D
    Ademort

The red of the tyres doesn't match the red of the frame. This disgusts me.
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    Pete I really wasn't sure about your design at all but I'm glad to say I was wrong as the graphics and full build have come out looking great. Good Job!
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    ademort wrote:
    Ademort

Cheers mate, i've sent them a few emails in the last 2 weeks but haven't heard anything back at all.

:?

Beware of scammers on Alibaba website....just google "Alibaba scam" and you'll have a good afternoon worth of reading

Maybe it is just me but I find that buying "branded" products that are not manufactured by or licensed from the actual brand a bit odd, not to mention illegal...

By selling these knock-offs cheap these companies show us that the manufacturing costs are not that high anymore (although I would still argue that higher manufacturing costs = higher quality, in general), so why cant they spend a few more dollars on making their own designs and brands????

If there was a factory that was making Porsche Knock-offs, branded as Porsche, at 30% of the real Porsche price, would you buy from that factory? Assuming that the answer is no, why would you buy a fake Pinarello then?
  • P_Tucker
    yaya wrote:
    If there was a factory that was making Porsche Knock-offs, branded as Porsche, at 30% of the real Porsche price, would you buy from that factory? Assuming that the answer is no, why would you buy a fake Pinarello then?

Yes. Do you have contact details?
  • P_Tucker
    Anyway, my Chinarello shortly before I christened it in Mid Wales somewhere. As you can see, my choice of seatpost/bottles is beyond reproach.

2ntzozt.jpg
  • petemadoc
    kfinlay wrote:
    Pete I really wasn't sure about your design at all but I'm glad to say I was wrong as the graphics and full build have come out looking great. Good Job!

Thanks Kev. Still needs a nicer saddle and different cages and definitely some nice wheels when I can afford them. Have to admit it feels a bit weird, almost embarrassing riding a frame you've designed yourself. Might put some more stickers on it, some Belgian flag wraps or something, don't want to overdo things though.
  • petemadoc
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Anyway, my Chinarello shortly before I christened it in Mid Wales somewhere. As you can see, my choice of seatpost/bottles is beyond reproach.

2ntzozt.jpg

special K? You trying to drop a dress size.

Bike looks 5hit hot