Who on BR has bought a 'cheap' Chinese carbon frame?

GoingCarbon
GoingCarbon Posts: 99
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm aware there are forum posts asking questions about the quality of the Chinese carbon frames. Other posts speculate about who makes what frame and for whom. And there are those that refer to the many posts on the RoadBikeReview site.

But is there any one here in the UK that posts on BikeRadar that has bought one of these 'cheap' frames that thinks it was a simple process that landed them a bargain?

I've posted before that I'm looking to get my first carbon frame. I currently have an Alu Klein Quantum and an Alu Cervelo Soloist.

Comments

• i have, have posted on here about it
  • thx chalford. Equal in quality to which model Dolan?
  • welll ive a mythos and a aria, i think there is a lot of scare mongerin about products from china and im afraid its just not true, the stuff ive got has been solid and reliable
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I have, I've got a Planet X
  • mcrdave
    mcrdave Posts: 501
    I have, from ebay, no probs so far.

IMG_0012.jpg
  • mcrdave wrote:
    I have, from ebay, no probs so far.

IMG_0012.jpg

Thats nice....

I agree, everyone bangs on about chinese frame, taiwanese frame etc etc. but where do the majority of the big name frames come frome???? oh yeah that would the the shame china as the the cheap frames unless im mistaken and there actually is another china in the world. lol :roll:
  • mcrdave....... that is a fine looking frame (bike). :o

What model frames is it and from which company did you buy it?
  • mcrdave
    It's an FM015 made my own graphics. Bought from ebay seller Carbonzone. Can't reccommend them highly enough, the delivery was super fast and paint finish spot on.
  • 9jan11
    9jan11 Posts: 67
    but where do the majority of the big name frames come frome

Exactly, that's why the pros <insert your bike of choice here> is not out of the same mode as these.

Chinese women also look nice and are as flexible as hell :wink:
  • geebee2
    geebee2 Posts: 248
    I have one - an FM015 (not integrated seat-post) see link in my sig below.

• Chinese women also look nice and are as flexible as hell :wink:

The one in my local Chinese weighs about 14 stone and struggles to pick up anything from the floor (unless its edible) ;)

On to the serious stuff...............there are more than a few imported Chinese cheap carbon frames being used here in Spain,both road and mtb and some i have spoken to are well happy and have had no problems.
  • mcrdave/geebee2....... can you give me a ballpark for the cost of the frame/forks/seatpost & delivery. And can I get it to arrived painted?

Not asking because I want to get a cheap 'cheap Chinese' frame. Before I started looking into this I was prepared to spend £1,000ish on a frame from a UK reseller.
  • mcrdave
    I think it was around £350-400 ish painted matt black by them and delivered. Think it took a few days extra for matt rather than gloss but it was still pretty darn fast.

Defintely no more than that.
  • geebee2
    mcrdave/geebee2....... can you give me a ballpark for the cost of the frame/forks/seatpost & delivery. And can I get it to arrived painted?

Cost was £414.63, that included frame, fork, seatpost, stem, handlebars and a bottle cage plus shipping, details below

Price Weight Description
    $400.00 1150 Frame FM015 58cm (price includes fork,weight includes frame fittings)
    379 Fork FK007 (35g trimmed)
    $15.00 82 Headset Neco 1 x top 1-1/8,down 1-1/2 (weight w/o 42g top cap + plug)
    $38.00 208 Seatpost SP003 (includes seat bracket)
    $25.00 158 Stem "Road alloy+carbon stem" 100mm
    $60.00 276 Handlebar HB003 440mm
    $13.50 30 Bottle Cage FD010
    $90.00 Shipping from China (EMS)
    £414.63 2283 Total from hongfu-bikes.com = $641.50

Painting was available at reasonable cost, but I prefer plain.
    Very happy indeed with it, but my only other bike is 20 years old, so hard to compare.
  • mcrdave/geebee2...... thx for swift response. Sounds like you've got an absolute bargain.....I'm almost tempted to use a swear word but won't :oops:

Must say I'm very tempted. Have you experienced any snobbery from other cyclist or club members. I suspect some of my club might not be impressed if I got a non branded frame :roll:
  • do you care!
  • geebee2
    Must say I'm very tempted. Have you experienced any snobbery from other cyclist or club members. I suspect some of my club might not be impressed if I got a non branded frame

Umm.. I get plenty of friendly enquiries about what brand the bike is, I then explain what I did, and say it was cheap without being specific.

Not much snobbery in my club I think. One good rider rides a battered rusty fixed gear in winter - that's pretty cool ( but I would struggle, I'm not that good ).
  • mcrdave
    Not had any snobbery, in fact one of my club mates came up with the name for my 'brand'. Nostrum = an unproven remedy for problems, a placebo, an unknown quantity. About right for the frame and fits how I feel about cycling.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Just been round at a friends house examining his frame+forks from Carbonzone (Ribble Stealth / DeRosa 838) - $500 & here in 10 days. Well packaged complete with headset and BB30 adaptor. No problems in terms of the fit or finishing of any parts - yet to be fully built so don't know how it handles. BB30 installation was no problem and the fork/headset is tidily finished - looking to get one for myself for racing this year as don't want to throw my Colnago down the road like last year!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    This is like saying on a driving forum 'has anybody tried those cheap 'Lada' motors from Russia; a real bargain?'

C'mon now, would you expect the same experience as buying a BMW?

You pay your money and you take your choice.
  • I've bought a road frame and forks 2 years ago and was so impressed I bought a MTB frame last year which is just as good.

Graham%27s%20Bike%20030.JPG

Graham%27s%20Bike%20022.JPG

At the moment just wondering wether or not to get some carbon wheels for both bikes.
  • vs wrote:
    This is like saying on a driving forum 'has anybody tried those cheap 'Lada' motors from Russia; a real bargain?'

It doesn't seem that long ago that people were saying don't be silly those cars from Japan aren't as good as the one we build here in Blighty.

Now were are all those great British car makers and who now makes the most reliable/quality controlled cars? The Japanese.
  • mcrdave
    That's what I'm using mine for, racing. Although it is my best bike so it might get treated to bling deep section wheels when I'm training.

One thing that was a bit of an issue now I remember, the headset was a pig to fit, the LBS said it took ages and lots of brute force, just thought I'd let you know.
  • tx14
    tx14 Posts: 244
    vs wrote:

bicycles are about as high tech as a kettle, despite all the jargon made up by manufacturers. so it's not the same thing.
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    As they are from outside the EU are they not subject to VAT or import duty? 8)
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • geebee2
    As they are from outside the EU are they not subject to VAT or import duty?

In theory, possibly yes. In practice, probably no. The amount is too small to be worth collecting, docs will probable say sample with value < £100 ... whatever, and no one will bother.
  • vs
    bicycles are about as high tech as a kettle

If they come out of a far eastern mould I'd agree but try having a little discussion with Mr Storck about this and see if you come away with the same opinion!
  • vs
    In theory, possibly yes. In practice, probably no. The amount is too small to be worth collecting, docs will probable say sample with value < £100 ... whatever, and no one will bother.

I just got canned for £20 on a £40 pair of trainers from California so I wouldn't be so sure about that.
  • 9jan11
    9jan11 Posts: 67
    Italy = passion, legend, tradition
    Germany = precision engineering
    China = noodles
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    For those that are full of disparaging comments - would they like to clarify where there bikes came from and why they feel they get such 'good value' from an expensive paintjob / set of stickers? You probably can't buy a European or US made carbon frame for less that £2k. OK, you get no warranty or support - but if you check other threads on here, sometimes they're worthless too.

In terms of Vat and duty - your are liable, and they total to about 30% of the consignment cost (including shipping) - depends on how the shiping agent / freight forwarder handles it too e.g. Royal Mail charge £8/consignment. Some are better than others at declaring the value too :wink:
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..