The Fury Upgraded (new forks with PICS, finally!!!)

Comments

• getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    I cba to get a new set of tyres. This'll do for moment. I've got another speedking and sportcontact to use though. So I'll wear them out and then get something else. It does look a bit weird, it works though.
  • Fair enough then.

What are the speed kings like in deep mud?

Well, in Swindon it's more like clay when it rains.
    Big guy; small air!
  • getonyourbike
    Avoid speedkings for mtbing, they're great except 90% of british weather, rain and mud. They're only good in the dry. If you want tyres that you can leave on for 99% of riding conditions then get something else. But if you choose tyres to match conditions for each ride, the they'll be fine, but the blackchilli compound would be better.
  • Ok, thanks.
    Big guy; small air!
  • buff
    buff Posts: 139
    Hi could you tell me what size hope seat clamp I would need please I want one in red thanks
    carrera fury
  • buff wrote:
    Hi could you tell me what size hope seat clamp I would need please I want one in red thanks

It will say it on the seatclamp that is currently on there.
  • getonyourbike
    34.9mm
  • jakeeeeeee
    jakeeeeeee Posts: 270
    that is one well used bike ! :) still looks beaut though :lol: 8) i hope your road rash gets better aswell :wink:
  • getonyourbike
    the road rash has sorted itself a while ago. Thanks anyway. Well used, that it is. In 2-3 months I've clocked up about 800 miles at least.
  • If you're washing out on slicks then its not the tyres...id look at riding position and style if i were you!
  • getonyourbike
    nomako man wrote:
    If you're washing out on slicks then its not the tyres...id look at riding position and style if i were you!
    unofrtunately, I'm not the only person to experience this problem with these tyres.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Revi ... elID=18829
  • getonyourbike
    It's now sporting a Fizik Gobi saddle and I got some new gloves while I was at the LBS. We'll see how this one goes. The guy in the shop said that bigger guys seem to prefer the spoon, while lighter ones like me (8 stone) prefer the Gobi.
  • getonyourbike
    I'll get some up to date pics tomorrow with proper tyres on as I'm going mtbing after hockey training.
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    You weigh half what I do :lol:
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • getonyourbike
    kaytronika wrote:
    :lol: still got lots and lots of growing to do yet, I'm only 14.
  • jakeeeeeee
    kaytronika wrote:
    :lol: still got lots and lots of growing to do yet, I'm only 14.
    same lol :lol:
  • getonyourbike
    Since the last photos the bars have been raised so that it a bit more confidence inspiring on the downs, the new Gobi saddle is on there and there's proper rubber on there too. Having an extra 20mm of travel, wider bars and slightly slacker angles compared to other entry level bikes proved their worth today as we hit the kinver downhill course running. What a good day, some good crashes were had too.

Mine and a mate's rides at the top of the kinver Downhill Course
    P3130004.jpg
    Mine on its own:
    P3130005.jpg

The Spoon will be for sale soon :wink:

EDIT- The saddle has also been dropped ready dor the descent.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    What about the angle?!
  • getonyourbike
    It's changed since then, I adjusted it while we were out.
  • jakeeeeeee
    it looks better with knobblies on it !! :lol::wink:
  • getonyourbike
    jakeeeeeee wrote:
    it looks better with knobblies on it !! :lol::wink:
    I thought that to, it made me realise how god damn ugly it looked with that slick on the back.
  • ll_sharpy
    ll_sharpy Posts: 40
    What happened to the Shukur kid?

I just want to point out I'm from up north in Yorkshire and normal people do not act like that.
    He's got council estate yardie written all over him - and a fear of snapping frames.

Glad you ditched that slick, it just wasn't right. Tyre choice is horrible, especially if you use the bike as a daily.

I've got 4 different pairs of tyres (and a set of Conti Barons on back order) used over 2 different wheelsets but it's never enough.

If I had to choose one pair for everything I'd go with my Conti Verticals.
    My other tyres are better in their own right, but my Verticals just don't seem to wear out.
    (Crazy as they're the cheapest rubber I own!)
    "If in doubt....close your eyes"

One One 456 Carbon
  • beanfield
    beanfield Posts: 26
    i run a racing ralph on the back rocket ron up front with a no tubes kit and i race on them all year round, there super fast and super light too :wink:
  • getonyourbike
    I stuck the slick and the worn down speedking on as I do 17 road miles a day and appreciate the weight and rolling resistance difference. I don't mind swapping tyres at the weekend for mtbing. I choose the maxxis' because they're tough, grip well in most conditions and the weight isn't terrible.
  • beanfield
    beanfield Posts: 26
    i use a road bike as well that has slicks, for road riding slicks are the only way to go
  • getonyourbike
    I appreciate that but the front keeps washing out on mildy damp roads. I still want to arrive in on piece. I'll get a hack eventually and stick some marathon plus' on it.
  • getonyourbike
    I've just done some of the things in the article as I've been getting back pain. I didn't realise how much too high I had my seatpost.(over 2cm, quite a lot when you think about it) :O I've also turned the bars round a touch. While I was doing it I realised that the monkeys at halfrauds hadn't even tightened up the stem faceplate bolts tighten enough. They were finger loose ffs! Well 2 were anyway. So I've effectively been riding around for 3 months with only 2 bolts done up properly. It's all sorted now though, with a bit of grease on the bolts and some Rock N Roll Super Coat on the contact area between the stem and bars. We'll see how it goes tomorrow!

article on bike fit:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/artic ... -fit-29498
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Awww man, can't believe I missed that Shukur nonsense. Bet he doesn't have the mental capacity to operate a playground swing, following on from the stupid cow who knocked me off yesterday, he's the sort of person I'd jab with the needle instead of euthanasing their dog.

Anyway bike looks good, really loving the white, it looks really good with the little bits of blue. Planning an orange 5 build and toying with the idea of white and blue/green but then I'd love a red one to go with the hardtail...

Any more plans for upgrades?
  • getonyourbike
    pimpy wheelset is planned, some blue hope pro evos with white stans arch rims. After that a new brakeset, but this is october, we're talking.
  • getonyourbike
    All the light brackets are off now and the rear mudguard is off as the weather's better at the moment. I'll grab some photos this weekend.