The Fury Upgraded (new forks with PICS, finally!!!)

getonyourbike
getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
edited October 2011 in Your mountain bikes
As it's changed so much from standard now, I decided to just edit the original post. I think it's done for a while now and all I have to do is shred. :D

Frame: Carrera Fury 2009 18" 7005 T6 Heat treated aluminium (current model)
Fork: 2012 Rockshox Reba RLT White 120mm with 15mm Maxle Lite
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT M770
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9 Medium Cage
Shifters: SRAM X9
Chain Device: Blackspire Stinger BB Mount Blue
Cables: Jagwire Ripcord Sealed Cables Blue
Chainset: Shimano SLX triple 175mm gone double and bash
Bash Ring: Straitline Bash Ring Serrated 36T Blue
Chainrings:TA Specialites Chinook 36/24T
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Hollowtech II SLX
Cassette: Shimano XT 11-34
Chain: KMC X9 Silver
Pedals: Superstar Nano Thru Pin Lightning Blue
Front Brake: Formula Oro K18 White with 180mm rotor (Superstar Kevlar pads for summer and Sintered for Winter)
Rear Brake: Formula Oro K18 White with 160mm rotor (Superstar Kevlar pads for summer and Sintered for Winter)
Brake Levers: Formula Oro K18
Hydraulic Hoses: Superstar in Blue
Stem: Superstar Zephir 70mm with Blue Faceplate
Handlebars: Sunline V1 745mm 19mm Rise Blue, cut down to 720mm
Headset: Superstar Integrato Blue
Spacers: Hope Blue
Grips: Superstar Supagrippa Blue with White Lockrings and Bar Ends
Rim: Mavic XM317 Disc Black
Front Hub: 15mm Axle Cartridge Bearing
Rear Hub: Shimano Deore
Front Tyre: Maxxis Minion DHF Single Ply 2.35 60A Folding
Rear Tyre: Maxxis High Roller 2.35 60A Folding

Saddle: SDG Bel Air RL Ti Rails
Seatpost: Nuke Proof Warhead Layback Black 31.6mm (cut down 1.5inches so I can drop the saddle lower
Seat Clamp: Hope QR Blue

Everything in green is changed from stock and black is standard.
It's riding far better than it did from new and it's a little ripper on the DH now with wide bars and a shorter stem. The X9 stuff feels sweet and the TA chainrings and Straitline bash are top quality bits of kit. I've gto some of my Urge stickers on there too :P

DSC00067.jpg

DSC00068.jpg

P7310273.jpgI've now got full X9 and XT shifting which is all great. The X9 rear mech feels far better than the X7

P7310272.jpgThe quality of the TA Specialites chainrings and Straitline bash ring is awesome. Very, very impressive. The Blackspire Stinger is a nice bit of kit too

P7310276.jpgNew grippier front tyre in the form of a Minion DHF. It's actually thinner and isn't as high as the Advantage 2.25 though which is a shame but it is a beast grip wise.

P7310274.jpgNuke Proof Warhead seatpost and SGD Bel Air RL saddle with Ti rails. They're both really nice and some quality there. I've cut the seatpost down 1.5 inches so that I can drop it lower for more fun at the BMX track and DH course.

P7310277.jpgMaxxis Advantage 2.25 rear tyre. Really nice tyres but not quite aggressive enough for the front for what I use them for. They're still great, though with lots of grip, little rolling resistance and make a great braking, climbing tyre.

P7310275.jpgA front view, Neoguard on the front which has been great and I love those little eyes :D The bars have been superb and also the stem too

P7310278.jpgSRAM X9 shifters and Formula brakes nom nom nom

P7310279.jpgThe biggest Urge sticker I had on the sticker sheet :P

P7310281.jpgHope QR seat clamp. Better is available like Chromag but I only found that out after I bought it. It's been fine for me though, but I'm only light.

P7310280.jpgHope spacers and Supestar Integrato headset

P7310282.jpgMy favourite little Formula, top notch brakes and it's very clever IMO having the calliper bleed port being on the banjo fitting as shown.

P7310283.jpgThere you are from the non drivesidewith that monster Urge sticker :D I'm definitely an Urge fanboy now. Really great lids.

Comments

• I forgot to say that after christmas when I've got a bit of money again, I'm going all tarty with lots of blue bits. Top of the list are Superstar Grips, blue with white lockrings, some better pedals, and a blue hope quick release. It's annoying that the seat clamp isn't quick release so when you go and stop off at the jumps on the way through you can't lower the saddle quickly.

EDIT - I also forgot to say that it really is barely used as just after a couple of hours todayof quite hard riding tbh the gear cables have stretched. If it had been used a lot I wouldn't be having any of that. So I regard it as basically a new bike. :D

PS The gumtree gamble paid off in the end, thank god :D
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Very nice, although 2 things.... Gear cables don't stretch, or at least not so you'd ever notice, as the factory has a big stretchy machine that takes far more of the slack out than a rider ever could. The outers probably weren't seated right in the first place, so you should check them when you redo the gearing. Also, you have bar ends, a rear mudguard and refectors on your wheels. Whats that all about? :wink:

All in all looks like a good deal!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • I've found on previous bikes that the gears need to bed in, this could be that. But they aren't how they were when i first rode it.

Unfortunately, I've got to keep the reflectors due to having to do some road riding to get to the singletrack. :D I'll make no apologies for the bar ends, try them before you knock them, they help loads when climbing and they give you an alternate hand position for long rides. The rear mudguard stops the crap going up your back.

If I only had to use the bike for off road and trail centres and the like I wouldn't have the mudguards or reflectors but it also has to be used for utilitarian purposes so they stay on.
  • very nice.

My dad has one of these and i've taken it out a few times... they're good bikes!
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    Very nice, although 2 things.... Gear cables don't stretch, or at least not so you'd ever notice, as the factory has a big stretchy machine that takes far more of the slack out than a rider ever could. The outers probably weren't seated right in the first place, so you should check them when you redo the gearing. Also, you have bar ends, a rear mudguard and refectors on your wheels. Whats that all about?

benpinnick:- Gear cables do stretch, that is why at work when we build a new bike and set it up for a customer you have to do it with the barrel asjusters screwed right in. This means when the cable stretchs the customer can adjust the cable tension. More often than not when the customer brings the bike back for its first free service the cables have stretched, it is normally more noticeable on a front mech though.

Apart from that it looks like you have a good deal on your bike mate.

Happy riding.[/quote]
  • ramemtbers wrote:
    Very nice, although 2 things.... Gear cables don't stretch, or at least not so you'd ever notice, as the factory has a big stretchy machine that takes far more of the slack out than a rider ever could. The outers probably weren't seated right in the first place, so you should check them when you redo the gearing. Also, you have bar ends, a rear mudguard and refectors on your wheels. Whats that all about?

benpinnick:- Gear cables do stretch, that is why at work when we build a new bike and set it up for a customer you have to do it with the barrel asjusters screwed right in. This means when the cable stretchs the customer can adjust the cable tension. More often than not when the customer brings the bike back for its first free service the cables have stretched, it is normally more noticeable on a front mech though.

Apart from that it looks like you have a good deal on your bike mate.

Happy riding.
    [/quote]i thought I was right, thanks for setting that straight.
  • Not too shabby, looking quite nice!
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    getonyourbike:- just a suggestion but it may be worth running yourfront brake hose around the inside of your fork leg so it cannot snag on anything. :) By the way where did you get you bender-fender from? Saw them advertised in what mtb a little while back. Pretty good idea i think. :)
  • The bender fender was from Mucky Nutz, the manufacturer.

http://www.muckynutz.com/index.php?rout ... ry&path=24

Thanks, ramentbers, I'll sort that now. I didn't really think about it tbh but but you're right, it could snag.
  • dot1
    dot1 Posts: 538
    Just to let you know, just because the seat isn't quick release now, doesn't mean you can't get a quick release clamp for it and swap them over!
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Boardman Pro Singlespeed - Sold
    viewtopic.php?t=12752297&highlight=

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • I've sorted the brake hose and ran it inside the forks now.

dot1 - I'm going to get a new quick release anyway as I want some blingy blue bits. Planning on blue hope spacers, blue hope qr seatclamp, blue superstar pedals and possibly some blue gear and brake cables.
  • dot1
    dot1 Posts: 538
    I'm getting one of these (just with a Boardman frame) and am still undecided on whether to go for red, blue or orange anodised bits. Orange looks awesome, but bits are rarer and more expensive. I think a bit of photoshop work might have to be done!
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Boardman Pro Singlespeed - Sold
    viewtopic.php?t=12752297&highlight=

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • it was a hard decision for me between blue and red and possible gold. The other colours are just so much more expensive and rarer.
  • Gibzy
    Gibzy Posts: 22
    Very nice, i do have a soft spot for the Carrera, i have the Vulcan. Light and durable without breaking the bank, but fully customizable to roll with the big guns. Nice purchase, Even nicer bike !!!!!
    Visit my biking blog
    *JUST UPDATED*

WWW.VALLEYSMTB.BLOGSPOT.COM
  • I'm thinking a new wheelset possibly, some nice X9 sram stuff when the current X5 wears out, some nice light finishing kit and possibly new brakes. I'll have a highly respectable bike, that'll take anything I can throw at it. The forks are really nice, I'm not even thinking about them upgrading because I won't have much of an upgrade for my money.

I forgot to say that I'm one of those lucky people with parts better than the spec list, th hubs are meant to be no-name offerings but i've got some Shimano hubs, a service every 3 months and they'll last ages.
  • I've been big pimpin, so here it is in it's new guise, ready to go out on a ride.
    Changes:
    Maxxis Advantage 2.25
    Superstar Lock ons Blue with White lock rings
    Superstar Nano flats Electric Blue
    Hope Spacer Blue
    Hope Quick Release Seat Clamp Blue
    Charge Spoon Limited Edition Surface SaddleBlack and Blue underside
    Topeak Aero Wedge Medium
    A couple of Camelbak Podium Bottles on there too
    I've also taken off the reflectors

PC310050.jpg
    PC310051.jpg
    PC310052.jpg
    PC310053.jpg
    PC310054.jpg
    PC310055.jpg
    PC310056.jpg

I'm off out now to test out the new bits, particularly the tyres.

Hope you like it

Pete
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    The seat looks good and I'm still waiting on mine to be delivered. The blue bits just add to the bike nicely finishing the look off.
    If you're still looking for wheels I can do you a pair of XT hubs (15mm front) with Mavic XM719 rims.
  • No thanks mate, I'm pretty skint now, after adding those bits on. I might just add some blue bolts though and then the pimping will be pretty much done but then the spec changes begin once I've got some more money. I'm think blue Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs on white Stans Flows rims.
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    Just a passing comment - do you not use a rucksack or a camelback to to carry your pump, spares and water etc? There's no reason why you should, just thought I'd ask.
  • CraigXXL
    They would look nice with the white rims. A blue headset will look nice too once yours has packed in.
  • I haven't got a decent hydration pack yet so I just use the saddlebag, water bottles and pump and fix them all to the bike. I'm looking forward to when i get some more money to shed some weight to make up for the accessories added. I must have added at least 1 pound, probably more, it rides nicer and is more practical now though.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    edited January 2011
    That's coming along nicely.

.................but if you don't mind me saying your bike would handle, feel much more nimble if you were to pack the water bottles and pump, tools etc into a bag.

You can pick one up for 20 quid, think of it it as a performance upgrade.

2 * 500ml water alone = 2.2lbs(1kg) and then you've got your pump + seatbag + tools +spare tube, thats quite a bit of extra weight to be hanging off the bike, must be close to 4lbs.

You would have to spend several hundred pounds in order to lose that amount of weight off your bike.

Where do you you keep your sandwiches?
  • Dan Dare
    Dan Dare Posts: 367
    The Fury is a great bike but it's a little overloaded for me, less is more IMO.
  • Dirtydog11 wrote:
    Where do you you keep your sandwiches?
    I don't but I managed to fit a decent lump of pork pie in the saddlebag.

This is food for thought (get it), I might use the current set up fo short rides, but I might get something like this for riding longer distances like yesterday and I need a large capacity rucksack anyway to commute to school, 18 miles.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=51017
  • CraigXXL
    Merlin are doing some goods deals on Camelbaks at the moment.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You don't need a Camelbak, one bottle on bike, other one in jersey pocket (or leave it on bike, not gonna make much difference!), other stuff in pockets, never really got why people feel the need to carry their house in a rucksack with them!

Well done for ditching the reflectors though!
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    depends how much fluid and food you need and how long you're out for. I can do 20 miles and use half a litre, if it's sunny, the full litre. If I'm out for 5+ hours doing proper hill work then it's backpack time with a 2/3 litre bladder and food.

I've been caught short too many times burning up fuel and not carrying enough with me, it's no fun hitting a wall with 10 miles left to get home and bugger all inside you.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Ramemtbers - gear cables have been prestretched to an inch of their cabley lives for many years now. A far greater amount of slackening comes from the bedding in of the outers and ferrules than stretching of the inners. The amount of stretch you could put in a cable for a first service is negligible, actually, I suspect the among of stretch you could put in a cable over it's lifetime is probably tiny in real terms. Bike shops have been perpetuating that myth for years now. Fair enough the effect of outer settling is the same as the inner stretching, but it doesn't mean they're stretching.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • On my rides the last couple of days I've been drinking all of both bottles, 1.5litres and when summer comes round I'll need even more. I also want to be able fit in more food than a bit of pork pie and if i take a jacket and it gets too warm, I've got nowhere to put it. I'll need a large capacity rucksack for cimmuting to school anyway, so I might as well get it now.

The camelbaks are unfortunately too small. The oakley one is the only one suitable with enough space, as when going to school I'll be taking books, sports kit and school clothes, so it needs to be pretty big.
  • its looks sweeet now you've pimped it .but it wud be a good idea to put some stuff in your back pocket rather than several bags on your bike :wink: