Bhima.....

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Yep. Serious. Swear down. We were mithering the hell out of him on the bikeradar spring fling ride to get racing. He was spinning along in zone 2 up the hills whilst most other people were on the rivet, and he had a 4 Pinter of milk in his musette!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • So he has a powertap? He got any data available?
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • napoleond
    SRM. He quite often posts files on Facebook.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • napoleond
    I was riding up the cat and fiddle a couple of weeks ago at tempo. He rode past me like I was standing still. He must have been going around 10mph faster than me...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    5.5-6W/kg is quite a range. 5.5W/kg not nearly as impressive as 6W/kg.

Still why this guy is p*ssing around riding up the same hill several times a day with no intention of racing seriously when he could possibly even make a (modest) living from cycling is a mystery. A bit of race craft and race fitness and there's probably no reason why he couldn't make 1st Cat this season.
    More problems but still living....
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    amaferanga wrote:

Didn't he mean 5.5 to 5.6 ? And yes there are pro-tour riders with that FTP - but of course those will have very good numbers in other areas to make up for it. But it's not good enough (in isolation) to be awesome, so maybe he's happy doing what he's doing. It's hardly a great job being a UK domestic pro!
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • napoleond
    amaferanga wrote:

Still why this guy is p*ssing around riding up the same hill several times a day with no intention of racing seriously when he could possibly even make a (modest) living from cycling is a mystery. A bit of race craft and race fitness and there's probably no reason why he couldn't make 1st Cat this season.

That's what we were mithering him about.

At the moment he's more like 5.5ish but he's 7kg heavier than he was last year, but in the process of losing it. And to me 5.5 is very effing impressive!
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Would I be able to add him to FB if you're in contact with him?
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • napoleond
    Just search for bhima bowdon on FB and do a friend request! Be prepared for lots of facts and figures about the cat and fiddle and muesli and milk consumption though.

Whether he'll add you or not is another thing, as he doesn't know you!
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Would I be able to add him to FB if you're in contact with him?

https://www.facebook.com/50kph

For all his peculiarities, he's a really nice guy once you get to know him just a little. Yes, he's obsessed with the Cat and Fiddle - and he has some dubious training methods and diet - but he lives at the base of the hill and he's more of a climber than a speedster so he plays to his strengths. Which is hill climbs and hilly events.

He rode TTs last year and did really well, considering it was on a road bike with clip on aero extensions. He trains HARD every day and never seems to work so not sure that money is an issue for him!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    P.S> I used to be one of his biggest doubters but seeing him on a regular basis I can see he's for real.

Not that I have any sort of massive power, but I tried to hold his wheel up the Cat last week and failed after the first mile. And he hadn't even broken a sweat (and was on his 5th time up!)
  • napoleond
    Pokerface wrote:
    P.S> I used to be one of his biggest doubters but seeing him on a regular basis I can see he's for real.

Me too.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    Every area has it's own 'local fastman' who 'doesn't race' but still kicks everyone's arrse. When they eventually do line up for a race, the result is usually a huge disappointment and embarrassing for everyone concerned...
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Pseudonym wrote:
    Every area has it's own 'local fastman' who 'doesn't race' but still kicks everyone's arrse. When they eventually do line up for a race, the result is usually a huge disappointment and embarrassing for everyone concerned...

Don't worry, you had a go! :wink:

Talking of fast, was sent this tonight, awesome video that gives a really great view of a team time trial. Watch out for the left hand turn, :shock:

Enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BybU3V2NCkU
  • napoleond
    Pseudonym wrote:

The more you post the more you sound like Thick Tester.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Pseudonym
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Pseudonym wrote:

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. Either way, for all Bhima's 'awesomeness' there's every likelihood that his racing debut will be a huge disappointment. Alternatively, it might go very well. I communicated that viewpoint using a well-worn analogy. If that is the kind of thing that 'thick tester' would do, then I guess me n him are obviously thinking along the same lines....
  • Even if it was in jest, I think Bhima has taken more than his fair share of stick over the years on these forums. Glad to hear things are going well for him. If you're reading this Bhima, good for you mate :)
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • napoleond
    Pseudonym wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Pseudonym wrote:

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. Either way, for all Bhima's 'awesomeness' there's every likelihood that his racing debut will be a huge disappointment. Alternatively, it might go very well. I communicated that viewpoint using a well-worn analogy. If that is the kind of thing that 'thick tester' would do, then I guess me n him are obviously thinking along the same lines....

Implies they know everything about racing in a smug, sanctimonious, patronising and faintly hostile manner whilst hiding behind a, well, pseudonym, to hide their very average real life ability.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    I dont know Bhima from Adam, (Like wise Nap D and Poker Face) but being fortunate enough to ride the Cat and Fiddle and other noted climbs in the peak on a not regualr enough basis I was interested to see what the man was all about.

I put in a friends request on FB with nothing more than a msg stating that I occasionally rode the Cat and Fiddle and he accepted in seconds (needless to say I m not even close to his times)

He doesnt strike me as some d*ck Waver , just a very capable cyclist, admitedly I ve only seen his Cat and Fiddle data and how this would compare in a Cat 1 RR I ve no idea.

But come on Guys , PokerFace is one of the few who can wear Rainbow Stripes legit and I ve seen picture of Nap D stood next to Chris Hoy in Lycra and his quads didnt let him down, so if they rate him thats good enough for me.

I m now a Bhima fan and hope he does (Tongue in cheek im sure) as he states win said race.

Cycling especially Road Racing needs more characters.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    I missed this thread first time round. So glad its had a new lease of life. Bhima sounds like a hero, and yes ive seen his Cat and Fiddle data. Id probably just be getting through my first pedal stroke by the time he's reached the summit. :oops:
  • Pseudonym
    edited March 2012
    NapoleonD wrote:

Implies they know everything about racing in a smug, sanctimonious, patronising and faintly hostile manner whilst hiding behind a, well, pseudonym, to hide their very average real life ability.

still bitter then..? All of a sudden, the thread is about you again, which is when you're happiest, I guess..?

Bhima's numbers are what they are - but racing debuts don't always go to plan - that's all I was implying. I would have thought you'd have realised that by now. If that comes across to you as smug, patronising, etc, then the problem is in your perception. On the other hand - maintaining an air of purest pig-ignorance quite suits you....

Incidentally - unless 'NapoleonD' is your real name, that'll be a pseudonym too...
  • napoleond
    I was talking in general, not just that particular post. I've yet to see one post from you that actually adds something positive to this forum.

Yes I am still bitter about the way/reason you (re?)joined this forum.

I'll never let it lie, I was in a bad place mentally and like the person you are you took advantage for your own amusement.

I stand by my initial assessment of you that got me in trouble in the first place.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • I'm sorry to keep this diverging from the original topic, but look at what you're writing, Pseudonym! I'm not a big poster, but I read a lot of the forum. Enough to know that if I see your tag next to a post, it's likely to be unpleasant in tone or content. I really don't get it.

I'm genuinely interested whether you interact with people like this in real life, or you feel a bit safer doing it because of the anonymity of the internet, or whether you think different rules apply when you're behind a keyboard. You surely wouldn't make a personal little dig to NapD if he was standing right next to you. So why here?

Either way, it doesn't reflect well upon you, and it's insidious- it lowers the standard for everybody.
  • Pseudonym
    edited March 2012
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I was talking in general, not just that particular post. I've yet to see one post from you that actually adds something positive to this forum.

Some people only see what they want to. You should do some research.
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Yes I am still bitter about the way/reason you (re?)joined this forum.

Not sure what you mean - I went through the registration process, same as everyone else. Ironically, the only one of us that has 're-joined' the forum is you.
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I'll never let it lie, I was in a bad place mentally and like the person you are you took advantage for your own amusement.

Sorry, I hadn't realised that fawning platitudes and feigned sympathy were the only acceptable responses on that thread. As I recall, you were demanding a BC review of race safety, because you fell off and hurt yourself. I have never seen another rider do that in 20 years. Do you really want to dig all this up again..?
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I stand by my initial assessment of you that got me in trouble in the first place.

Think you'll find that was you, old chap. You need to take a bit of responsibility yourself - but it's easier just to blame others, isn't it..?
  • Pseudonym
    I'm sorry to keep this diverging from the original topic, but look at what you're writing, Pseudonym! I'm not a big poster, but I read a lot of the forum. Enough to know that if I see your tag next to a post, it's likely to be unpleasant in tone or content. I really don't get it.

I'm genuinely interested whether you interact with people like this in real life, or you feel a bit safer doing it because of the anonymity of the internet, or whether you think different rules apply when you're behind a keyboard. You surely wouldn't make a personal little dig to NapD if he was standing right next to you. So why here?

Either way, it doesn't reflect well upon you, and it's insidious- it lowers the standard for everybody.

My initial observation on this thread took the form of a completely innocuous anecdote. The other fella decided to respond in a rather abusive manner. Did you miss that bit..?
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    Pseudonym wrote:
    I'm sorry to keep this diverging from the original topic, but look at what you're writing, Pseudonym! I'm not a big poster, but I read a lot of the forum. Enough to know that if I see your tag next to a post, it's likely to be unpleasant in tone or content. I really don't get it.

My initial observation on this thread took the form of a completely innocuous anecdote. The other fella decided to respond in a rather abusive manner. Did you miss that bit..?

You really just are a bit of a c0ck ain't you. Every time you post it's normally to wind someone up or say how you're right and everyone is wrong. I have formed my opinion of you and it isn't a good one. I don't think I have ever seen you post a useful post.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    This is sad, so really sad.
    I'm not going to add anything personal here. It just makes my heart sink reading the last 2 pages of this thread.
    Peter
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    DF33 wrote:
    This is sad, so really sad.
    I'm not going to add anything personal here. It just makes my heart sink reading the last 2 pages of this thread.
    +1. Pack it in lads, this isn't helping anyone. Personally I think the mods should lock this thread before it becomes a flame war.
  • Pseudonym
    edited March 2012
    rozzer32 wrote:
    You really just are a bit of a c0ck ain't you.

Nope - but you genuinely do sound like a proper one. Anyway, I'm conscious that people would rather return to the topic in hand - which is, incidentally, what I originally responded to.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Lets get back on Topic gents. If I take nothing else from this thread than a new FB friend and a proper definition for my version of Supplesse " Glass Cranking" then thanks to BHIMA I ve come away a better man. :D