Bhima.....

Comments

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    At the end of the day, when someone who has earned the right to wear a WC jersey and has ridden with the guy says they are a good cyclist, I'm far more inclined to listen to them than someone piping up about "local fastmen".

From what I gather, he's a very able cyclist, with some dubious ideas on nutrition, training and style! He might not trounce the field in a 3/4 cat race, but it doesn't sound like he's going to be dropped either. As far as I'm concerned, good luck to him, the more people racing, and enjoying the sport, the better.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Graeme Obree was once ridiculed for being a bit different....

Good luck to you Bhima, you sound like Walter Mitty but a more than capable cyclist nontheless. All the best to you!
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    My favourite ever cycling anecdote is the one about Beryl Burton in the 12 hour TT national cycling past her closest (Male she blitzed the field) rival and offering him a boiled sweet without a hint of Irony.

I can just picture BHIMA on national HC passing the field swigging from a 4 litre milk carton whilst handing out bananas.

Admittedly I dont even know the guy but I like the Image :lol:
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    ^^^^^ :-)
    Peter
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I would have been going out with him this morning but MrsNapD was on nights last night so I'm on kid duty. He suggested we put the baby in his bag, as there's plenty milk for her...

Colin Pokerface was coming out to play to but he has to wait in for his new Rainbow skinsuit to arrive. He's like a kid waiting for Christmas...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I would have been going out with him this morning but MrsNapD was on nights last night so I'm on kid duty. He suggested we put the baby in his bag, as there's plenty milk for her...

Colin Pokerface was coming out to play to but he has to wait in for his new Rainbow skinsuit to arrive. He's like a kid waiting for Christmas...
    LOL - I was gob smacked when he got that bottle of milk out of his bag on the Spring Fling, especially after seeing him ride up those hills. There certainly was plenty for everyone, not just your baby!

If I ride with Colin Pokerface again he's going to have to wear a parachute so that I can keep up with him, not a skin suit. :D
  • DF33
    All this talk of hill speed etc. Just did my second ride in 4 months yesterday, coming back from injury. 50 miles and jeez, don't you loose the fitness quickly (and the tough bum).
    So I can see I need a 4 pinter of semi skimmed in the middle shirt pocket next time. I'll be on it.
    Peter
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    Jez mon wrote:
    At the end of the day, when someone who has earned the right to wear a WC jersey and has ridden with the guy says they are a good cyclist, I'm far more inclined to listen to them than someone piping up about "local fastmen".

I wasn't actually disagreeing with Pokerface's assessment of him. I gather Bhima is 'local' to the C&F and he appears to be 'fast' - not sure why calling him a local fastman is so contentious, because it seems to be accurate, not to mention being completely incidental. I'm not dissing the guy at all. I was simply saying that in most cases like this, the higher the anticipation of good performance, the bigger the potential disappointment.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Pseudonym wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

I wasn't actually disagreeing with Pokerface's assessment of him. I gather Bhima is 'local' to the C&F and he appears to be 'fast' - not sure why calling him a local fastman is so contentious, because it seems to be accurate, not to mention being completely incidental. I'm not dissing the guy at all. I was simply saying that in most cases like this, the higher the anticipation of good performance, the bigger the potential disappointment.

Fair enough, the use of quotation marks does seem to imply a slightly different meaning though.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Me as a World Champ, etc, etc shouldn't add any weight to the discussion.

I'm just saying' - I used to scoff at the stories, then I got to know him a little and have seen him in action. The Cat and Fiddle isn't your average 'hill climb' (I think of these as 3-4 minute jobbies). He goes up it fast and not just once, but 5 times a day. He goes up it faster on his 5th time up than most people could when fresh.

I've seen him TT. He does that with proficiency also. I suspect if you put him on an actual TT bike he'd easily do a sub-21.

So now he's (finally) going to do some road racing also. I suspect he'll find it harder than these other types of riding. I have NO idea what he's like in a bunch. But he's got power to spare and if he can handle accelerations and doesn't bring down everyone, I suspect he'll be good at that as well.

He's not just a local fast man. He's a national celebrity! ;)

I shall report back after his first official road race.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    After all this, even I know who he is... and I'm in Scotland, with no racing affiliation whatsoever!!!
  • DF33
    Bhima, Bhima, Bhima

Rumour has it he's the new Cav!
    Peter
  • nweststeyn
    I heard he can heal children with every repeat of the Cat & Fiddle he rides.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I really am intrigued by this...

willy-wonka-wilder.jpg?w=470

"please tell me more about how fast Bhima rides up the Cat and Fiddle"

but all jokes aside.. it took me 3 pages of thread to realise they were all posts from 2010.. its been a worthwhile read though.
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    Does Bhima put any of his times up the cat on Strava ? cant see his name on the two segments for it, unless he goes under another name, surely he would be a good bet for a KOM up there.
  • napoleond
    He doesn't have GPS, he has an SRM computer.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    It's a given he'd be KOM on Strava for the Cat and Fiddle.

He is powerful but I'd be surprised if he wins this road race.

I decided to go up the cat and fiddle one day as I needed to get some form for hills (Doing the Buxton 33 mile TT), and I was catching him up on my 1.5 go of the cat and fiddle, he must have being tired, and he was training at some lower level apparently so was not even pushing hard. So he has got power.

I think I'm 6th for the cat at the moment, the segment thing really does push competitiveness, I wanna try KOM on the cat but rarely ever go to the cat.

Bhima is ok, I was chatting to him up the cat and fiddle for almost an hour the other week or so, certainly a bit eccentric.
  • napoleond
    One of the lads in the club hill climb did it recently in a long 20 mins, there are no fast (as in hill climb TT) times listed on Strava for the cat yet. It has been done in under 19 by Mark Lovatt.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • willhub
    Yeah I know.

I'd probably get faster if I trained with faster people. Do you know any fast groups that'd welcome me on a ride?

I'm on J2/1 tomorrow tweaking TT position :( but I wanna go in hills on Sunday.
  • napoleond
    Thursday night Macc Wheelers Chaingang starts again soon, but you'd need to be in a club (I assume you're still in Manc Wheelers?)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • willhub
    Yes still in Manchester Wheelers.
  • What's his strava name? Seems a little arrogant at times, and don't know if his diet of tesco value muesli is particularly healthy!

Hope he puts some data up soon. If he lived a bit closer if ask him to head over for some testing in the lab.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    NapoleonD wrote:

Therefore, no Strava.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    NapoleonD wrote:

Therefore, no Strava.
    Strava on android/iphone/blackberry?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ^ Extra weight!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • napoleond
    This is quite amusing. People going through the same 'doubting' phase that Pokerface and I went through...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • nweststeyn
    [conspiracy]

To be honest NapD, I'm still not convinced you've ever even ridden a bike!

[/conspiracy]
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    This is quite amusing. People going through the same 'doubting' phase that Pokerface and I went through...

It sounds like some sort of religious conversion :lol:

I was around when Bhima first came about and his claims were ridiculous. If he's now backing them up that's great, but I think most people would be sceptical without him posting race results or data.

I'm in third year of my Applied Sports Science degree and should start testing for my dissy in the coming weeks. If he was closer I'd ask him to attend.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    I'm in third year of my Applied Sports Science degree and should start testing for my dissy in the coming weeks. If he was closer I'd ask him to attend.

Ask him anyway...the worst he could say is no!
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    H e d only agree to be tested after at least 3 ascents of the Cat and Fiddle and then having biked to Middlesbourgh across the pennines.

I dont think hes got a lactate threshold hes found a cunning ploy using lactose from milk to inhibit its onset.