Bhima.....

191011121315»

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    I guess that depends on what you define as a hill!
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    schweiz wrote:
    I guess that depends on what you define as a hill!

17% - 40%

The UK may not have really long hills, but it does have a crap load of easily accessible steep buggers.
  • schweiz
    ....but no 10 mile hills! Maybe 100m if you're lucky!
  • willhub
    schweiz wrote:

You don't need 10 mile hills to be good at hills.
  • schweiz
    willhub wrote:
    schweiz wrote:

You don't need 10 mile hills to be good at hills.

Having ridden the Pennines through my teens/twenties and in the Alps every weekend now, I can say with some reasonable authority that there is a world of difference.

Not least the psychological effects of riding at 8-16% non stop for 1-2 hours. Pushing yourself over/through a 40% climb for 50-100 m is completely different.
  • willhub
    Are you trying to say if I attempted one of these hills I'd end up falling off my bike and jumping around banging my feet?
  • schweiz
    No. Unless that's what you normally do when cycling!
  • willhub
    What time do you think you could do up the Cat and Fiddle, do you rekon you could average 25mph?
  • schweiz
    25 mph? No way

That's 40 km/h

With an average of 3.2%, I reckon I could hold 25 km/h over that distance though. As mentioned earlier though, with Strava the times don't take into account what you've done prior to the segment or what you intend to do after.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Well I think you are BOTH great, willhub and schweiz.
  • schweiz
    I'm not great! I'm overweight, get dropped regularly on climbs but yet I'm astounded how one bloke riding up what is in the grand scheme of thing, a fairly short and not overly steep climb can generate so much interest on the forum.
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    From his posts on fb, he seems to have a tonne of excuses as to why his race results don't pan out. The last one I saw, despite his amazing numbers, was that he got stuck behind a fat guy who couldn't bridge a gap. Never mind the fact that his numbers should suggest that he GO ROUND said fatty and bridge it himself.....
  • willhub
    schweiz wrote:
    25 mph? No way

That's 40 km/h

With an average of 3.2%, I reckon I could hold 25 km/h over that distance though. As mentioned earlier though, with Strava the times don't take into account what you've done prior to the segment or what you intend to do after.

Well if you ever happen to ride up the cat, you'd get to the top and you'd likely say it was much harder than you thought.

I'd guess a pro rider on his own pushing up the cat could average about 22mph up it.
  • schweiz
    willhub wrote:
    I'd guess a pro rider on his own pushing up the cat could average about 22mph up it.

I guess they could, you only had to watch the world renowed climber Mark Cavendish on the 'fearsome' Box Hill climb to give you an idea how a pro rider rides a UK hill!
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Lolz
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    schweiz wrote:
    I'm not great! I'm overweight, get dropped regularly on climbs but yet I'm astounded how one bloke riding up what is in the grand scheme of thing, a fairly short and not overly steep climb can generate so much interest on the forum.

Because people get sucked in to arguments... :?:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    I think Bhima is finding out that all riding up the cat does is makes you better at riding up the cat.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    a_n_t wrote:
    riding up the cat makes you better at riding up the cat.

thats my claire baldings catchphrase
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.