Tour de France Stage 11 *spoiler*

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    FFS Dean was intent on pushing Renshaw off his line, Renshaw stood his ground in the safest way possible. His worse offence was putting Farrar into the barrier, normally that would have earned relegation to last place and a fine. Dean should also be sanctioned. Looks like the Tour organisers have a grudge against HTC
  • FFF trolling

Not at all, I'm not the one posting flippant remarks am I?
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    FFF is upset enough as it is about a vicious attack with 200g of polystyrene

Next time you're down your club ask someone to do the same, please tell me if it's painful?

If someone were to bump me on my side with their helmeted head as we were riding side by side, I would not find it in the least painful.

Hence why your outrage rings hollow to me.
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142

Next time you're down your club ask someone to do the same, please tell me if it's painful?

If someone were to bump me on my side with their helmeted head as we were riding side by side, I would not find it in the least painful.

+1
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    To be honest the debate seems to be happening only here, in the Spanish websites people are ok with the ban, there is no debate. Its probable that its because it affects Cav.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • AidanR wrote:

+1

Surely there's a difference between a "bump" and a headbutt?
    I'm outraged that the general consensus appears to be "it was just a headbutt" Why shouldn't I feel that it was wrong, because actually it is. It's not acceptable in society and it shouldn't happen in sport.

Yes it happens in other sports, but we still shouldn't condone it? People are spending more time debating what could have happened and not denouncing the act

As for trolling this thread, as for someone who hardly spends time in the forums, why would I suddenly make a conscious decision to make extraneous comments. Look at the comments directed at me, certainly more inflammatory than mine?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    RichN95 wrote:
    [quote=Look. In the winter almost every Saturday somebody hits somewhere on my body, sometimes deliberately, with a wooden stick.
    To you this is assault and a serious matter worthy of police attention, but to me, as a hockey goalkeeper padded-up like Michelin man, it's just part of the game.

You play the game knowing this and, to a degree, expect it to happen hence all the padding. So are you implying that pro cyclists expect to be headbutted?

Is the helmet used as protection against crashes or used as protection against fellow competitors?

Well the padding is there so I can save the ball without ending up in hospital. But I'm not here to talk about hockey.

But the sprinters do expect this - any old pro will revel in stories about such encounters.

Here's what Kenny van Hummel - decent sprinter, awful climber, said on twitter:

"Wel een spannend einde toch?? Dit gebeurt wel vaker, maar dit is de #TDF en hier zijn overal camera's.", which translates as:

"A thrilling end anyway? This happens often, but this is the # TDF and there are cameras everywhere."

I'm not condoning what Renshaw did. But a DQ was too harsh IMO. Dean went looking for a fight and he got one.

On the other hand you're calling it assault, which is blowing it out of all proportion.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Not really I think a po'd Cav will win to prove a point. Conversely I doubt the Spaniards care less about sprinting full stop. :wink:

FFF lucky the cops don't visit the velodrome where such serious assaults happen at every meeting!
  • RichN95.
    gabriel959 wrote:
    To be honest the debate seems to be happening only here, in the Spanish websites people are ok with the ban, there is no debate. Its probable that its because it affects Cav.

Sure, because it's Cav, there will be more debate. The Spanish don't really like sprinting anyway (Freire having spent his whole career abroad).

The same way as in the World Cup, Lampard's 'goal' was probably talked about a lot more in England than Spain.
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    Not really I think a po'd Cav will win to prove a point. Conversely I doubt the Spaniards care less about sprinting full stop. :wink:

FFF lucky the cops don't visit the velodrome where such serious assaults happen at every meeting!

Anyone who thought that was a proper head-but or assault hasn't been in Newport town centre at kicking out time. I saw some sights back in the late 90s.
  • Cakegirl
    Cakegirl Posts: 66
    I agree with Pross. Renshaw had to ride assertively to prevent the much larger Dean pushing him against the barriers and was entitled to hold his line. The baulking of Farrar after was regrettable but not dangerous.

Cav now needs to - well, initially, keep his mouth shut - but more importantly, win on the Champs Elysees, then call Renshaw up on the podium with him.

And next year, ride the Giro and Vuelta instead of the Tour. What with the over-reaction sanction on the Hushovd barrier incident last year, when Cav was going straight; it's clear that Cav's face doesn't fit the TDF sensibilities. As such the team is more subject to 'over-sanctionning'

BTW I'm not the world's biggest Cav fan either.

And I might be slightly over-reacting because I swear if I see the 'I'm Tyler Farrar, Sprinter with Team Garmin Transitions' ad break one more time ...... is he just about to ride into that girl on the crossing at the end of the ad?
    If everything's under control, you're obviously not going fast enough.
  • Pross
    Wasn't there a Spanish rider involved in the 'fight' a few days back? Did the Spanish people feel he should be dq'd?

I'm glad I don't race against FFF he sounds like the sort who would want to sue someone if there was a crash
  • Pross
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Anyone who thought that was a proper head-but or assault hasn't been in Newport town centre at kicking out time. I saw some sights back in the late 90s.

Too right, maybe that's why we have a different perspective on this lol
  • Pross wrote:
    Wasn't there a Spanish rider involved in the 'fight' a few days back? Did the Spanish people feel he should be dq'd?

I'm glad I don't race against FFF he sounds like the sort who would want to sue someone if there was a crash

And I get accused of trolling!
  • Pross
    Not by me you haven't been, you just seem very naiive if you think that was anassault.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Well, at least he's toned it down from comparing it to Raul Moat...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Pross wrote:

I don't know as I didn't follow that stage due to real life commitments.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Its probable that its because it affects Cav.
    In my case it's an outrage that I will never forget.
    1997 TDF - Stage 11(again) Serguei Outschakov holds the barrier to win and is relegated because the Frenchman (Laurent Desbiens) following his wheel then decides to raise his hand saying he wanted to pass on the barrier side.
    Doh you dipstick there is no room. - Head Commissaire was Dutch but the ASO made the decision and Serguei was placed third for allegedly not holding his line in a flat out sprint.

This has nothing to do with Cavendish who is not British but from the Isle of Man and I am English but expect Fair Play.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    Pross wrote:

Just whack him with a wheel next time ... apparently that's acceptable !
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2010
    Pross wrote:

And I get accused of trolling!

No-one's accusing you of trolling, this isn't CyclingNews. They're just accusing you of being wrong.

On this forum we all have opinions and debate them in a fairly intelligent and civilized manner
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    albertocontador Other stage finish in TDF and tomorrow important stage with final in Mende (cima Jalabert)

anyone know what "cima Jalabert" means?
    cartoon.jpg
  • Pross wrote:
    Not by me you haven't been, you just seem very naiive if you think that was anassault.

To clarify, I said that if I had headbutted someone it could be deemed as an assault. I did not state that any persons actually assaulted anyone.
    Several comments directed at me give the impression that I stated that the headbutt was an assault, this is incorrect.

This is my last post on the matter.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Just watched "the final" on Eurosport. Do we actually know what Renshaw was DQed for? Was it the headbutt or cutting across Farrar?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • RichN95.
    Doobz wrote:
    albertocontador Other stage finish in TDF and tomorrow important stage with final in Mende (cima Jalabert)

Yeah. A few years back Jalabert won a stage up the same end climb (maybe the first time the Tour had used it), so they named it after him.

Others, like cyclopedia afx, will be able to put meat on my bones.
  • RichN95.
    DaveyL wrote:
    Just watched "the final" on Eurosport. Do we actually know what Renshaw was DQed for? Was it the headbutt or cutting across Farrar?

According to the commisaire, both. With one maybe he would have been OK
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Doobz wrote:

The climb at Mende is also known as the Montee Jalabert coz he won it the first time it was in the tour.

Edit: Rich beat me to it
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Seems weird to name a climb after a bloke who's not dead though, I must say.
  • RichN95.
    afx237vi wrote:
    Seems weird to name a climb after a bloke who's not dead though, I must say.

You may want to make the 'Chris Hoy Veledrome' being built in Glasgow sensible while you still can. He's big mind, so you may want to recruit Andy Schleck - he can punch out a bear.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Cakegirl wrote:

And I might be slightly over-reacting because I swear if I see the 'I'm Tyler Farrar, Sprinter with Team Garmin Transitions' ad break one more time ......

Heheh. I used to quite like Tyler Farrar, but that ad has to be the most annoying thing on tv at the moment...this month...this year.

"Like Tyler Farrar wear Transitions adaptive lenses and enjoy the race in all f*cking light conditions" - Nooooo!

I swear I'm going to start dreaming about adaptive lenses soon :lol:
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    So, it's okay to attack a fellow rider with a wheel, you just get a teeny wee fine, but battling it out in the final of a sprint gets you disqualified. Something's not right. Relegated, fined, ok, but the first actual disqualification in 13 years?

But what is concerning me more is watching Cav react on YouTube.

Clearly, he's been sedated.