Tour de France Stage 11 *spoiler*

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I guess the speed at least points to a cleaner peloton.

Tuesday climb had many rolling their eyes.

It's really hot, they're taking it easy. Fair enough. It is bloody boring though.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Indeed - but the favourites will have to attack at some stage, even if the weather continues.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Selling the Tour de Pologne like a Hollywood film doesn't guarantee it will BE like a Hollywood film
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Boonen crashed in Cali (someone elses fault) and injured his knee.

He was coming back to form but after Mr Cavendish took him out in Suisse he has had bad problems.

He was targetting the Green Jersey but was unable to compete.

He has now had an operation and is off the bike for a month.

Pretty annoyed.

WTF, a bit random?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Talking about La Grande Porte as in the quote I posted the other day. I came across this quote from Hinault. Brilliant stuff.

If Lance Armstrong does not win, will he have left by the big door or the little door? I don’t see what it is that brings him back again. Maybe there are ulterior political motives. He’s an American.

You have likely seen the article back in April but reading it now it is quite interesting:
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/3945/ ... -Tour.aspx
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Didn't know Romminger was his manager. I guess not riding on the rest day contributed to Cadel's defaillance.

“Speaking with my manager Tony Rominger last night he said that the Madeleine was the hardest climb in the world for him so that made me feel a little better about everything yesterday,” Evans explained.

Evans also revealed that while he lost the Tour on the climb of the Madeleine, the descents of stage nine did not help his cause.

“The thing that was difficult yesterday [due to the fractured elbow] was the descents and on the rest day, I couldn’t go training because we were staying up in the mountains and we could only ride downhill."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    All of Sean's "funny animal anecdotes" seem to involve dogs being horribly injured :shock:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    If Lance Armstrong does not win, will he have left by the big door or the little door? I don’t see what it is that brings him back again. Maybe there are ulterior political motives. He’s an American.

Got to have something to do after racing. Hey, what the heck, Arnold is a Governor and probably would try for the Presidency if he had been born here.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Kléber wrote:
    I'm not doubting that it's hot, but these readings are a little false, as they're sat in a group of riders who are sweating and giving off heat so it will obviously be warm.
    It's the direct sunshine as well as the tarmac being hot, there are not "in the shade" readings.

Yep, forecasts etc are the temp in the shade.
    My computer maxed at 50C on Sunday going up Ramaz and average of 35C for 9 hours.
    exercise.png
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Didn't know Romminger was his manager. I guess not riding on the rest day contributed to Cadel's defaillance.

“Speaking with my manager Tony Rominger last night he said that the Madeleine was the hardest climb in the world for him so that made me feel a little better about everything yesterday,” Evans explained.

Evans also revealed that while he lost the Tour on the climb of the Madeleine, the descents of stage nine did not help his cause.

“The thing that was difficult yesterday [due to the fractured elbow] was the descents and on the rest day, I couldn’t go training because we were staying up in the mountains and we could only ride downhill."

That's odd, I'm sure I saw pictures of Cadel training on the rest day? He was staying towards the bottom of Avoriaz anyway, so he could have cycled up and got the lift down - excuses excuses...
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    Didn't know Romminger was his manager. "

I was told something about him a few years ago, but I'll wait for the right doping thread before I tell.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Rominger's introduced various riders to Ferrari and I think one court room testimony suggested he was on commission, that the deal between a rider and the coach also included payments to Rominger.

That element of his past aside he's also a legit manager these days, he was managed by IMG and upon retirement, joined them as a staff member.

Worth adding is that Evans works with Aldo Sassi, a coach who is pretty outspoken on doping these days, a million miles from Ferrari.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    dennisn wrote:

Got to have something to do after racing. Hey, what the heck, Arnold is a Governor and probably would try for the Presidency if he had been born here.

Is he too old for the coke and hookers thing now?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    and on the rest day, I couldn’t go training because we were staying up in the mountains and we could only ride downhill.

What kind of excuse is that? Even if he couldn't ride downhill because of his elbow, then surely the team car could have driven him down to Morzine and he could have ridden back up, from what I remember it is a really smooth road anyway (admittedly i rode it on a FS mtb).

They should have taken the day out to do a few runs of the Pleney downhill track into Morzine, awesome fun that.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Kléber wrote:
    Rominger's introduced various riders to Ferrari and I think one court room testimony suggested he was on commission, that the deal between a rider and the coach also included payments to Rominger.

That element of his past aside he's also a legit manager these days, he was managed by IMG and upon retirement, joined them as a staff member.

Worth adding is that Evans works with Aldo Sassi, a coach who is pretty outspoken on doping these days, a million miles from Ferrari.

Evan's agent/manager at the moment is Rominger. He said so in cyclingnews the other day. Virenque found Ferrari too pricey according to Voet or it came out at the Festina trial.
  • frenchfighter
    Green jersey as of this morning

1 Thor Hushovd (Nor) Cervelo Test Team 138 pts
    2 Alessandro Petacchi (Ita) Lampre-Farnese Vini 131
    3 Robbie McEwen (Aus) Team Katusha 116
    4 Jose Joaquin Rojas Gil (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 98
    5 Mark Cavendish (GBr) Team HTC - Columbia 97
    6 Sébastien Turgot (Fra) Bbox Bouygues Telecom 86
    7 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Sky Professional Cycling Team 82
    8 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Sky Professional Cycling Team 74
    9 Gerald Ciolek (Ger) Team Milram 71
    10 Sylvain Chavanel (Fra) Quick Step 69
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    Breakaway and peloton playing a fascinating game of "who can pedal slowest". Fun fun fun.
  • Kléber
    Was that the case or was it that the team doctor was called "Dr Punto" as a joke because he was cheaper than Ferrari?
  • Kléber
    Getting lively now with the crosswinds
  • afx237vi
    Kléber wrote:
    Getting lively now with the crosswinds

Bert and Schleck both right up front though.
  • afx237vi
    Chavanel and Popo attack, but it's pretty futile. HTC have had an easy day until now.
  • takethehighroad
    Farrar got blocked there by Renshaw
  • afx237vi
    Cav wins with a very long sprint. Some mega headbutt action from Renshaw... reminiscent of McEwen v O'Grady. Wasn't McEwen penalised for that?
  • Kléber
    Renshaw was being driven into the barriers, he tried to headbutt his way out. Then once his effort was done he rode across Farrar's path.
  • takethehighroad
    Cav won because Renshaw was blocking. Cav can't be penalised but Renshaw will get a wrap on the knuckles
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Great riding from Cavendish and Renshaw.
  • afx237vi
    But I suppose that even if Renshaw gets penalised, doesn't make any difference to Cav's win.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    afx237vi wrote:
    Cav wins with a very long sprint. Some mega headbutt action from Renshaw... reminiscent of McEwen v O'Grady. Wasn't McEwen penalised for that?

Dean was trying to get Renshaws bit of road, didnt succeed!
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    edited July 2010
    Dirty dirty dirty, Chav's leadout man deserves 2 x fines for the headbutts and then the swerving. He was not being driven into the barriers, nothing of the sort, overhead proves it.

Not like Farrar would've come back but that's not the point. That was some poor un-sportsman-like defending by Renshaw (if it was him). Really poor.

Overshadows a great sprint by Cav, although this time Petacchi was close, but again he wasn't going to come back - no matter where the finish line was - good win.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Yeah Dean started it by being a plonker and Renshaw finished it in style!
    Mañana