south wales Rides?

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Stanners79 wrote:
    christ, if you're slow then what does that make me!

anyone got any links for tips/pointers for going down the trails? I just seemed very slow in comparison to some people yesterday. Maybe just a confidence thing?

I reckon its more about getting out and the miles in the saddle than anything!

The more you ride, them more you get to know your bike and your own capabilities!

If you fall off, you know you've done it wrong
    :lol:

this, i must have ridden cwmcarn a hundred times and still fall off, i had a rather spectacular one in front of ben (northern monkey) a while back, but all he saw was me dragging my bike out of the big bush i was in :lol:

i have definately got faster and fitter since rding with this lot but i still have a long way to go :D
  • Ahh man that was funny.... it was one of those " why's he going over there" moments before I realised you were having a crash :lol:
  • Pr][nCe
    Pr][nCe Posts: 626
    Will be up for a run or two on the DH track once i get my knee/shin and elbow guards for sure, see how the bike handles, as i used every mm of my fork/shock travel on the weekend doing the xc and freeride, but it was nice and fast.

vids tho were not up to much had alot of vibration think the chest mount strap needed tightening :oops: will get around to upload asap anyways.

Stan just get out more on the bike, relax, look ahead and track your line. the speed will come just don't force it.

What who when where this weekend peeps ? 8)
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s195 ... =slideshow
    Santacruz Chameleon - 2005
    Cannondale F400 - 2003
  • Stanners79 wrote:
    christ, if you're slow then what does that make me!

anyone got any links for tips/pointers for going down the trails? I just seemed very slow in comparison to some people yesterday. Maybe just a confidence thing?

I have been riding about a year and technically i am a bit if a biff,
    Luckily I have got a good natural fitness level to smash up the climbs,

I try watching the guys going downhill and copy their lines and i am getting a little quicker (we still have regular backmarkers to make sure I haven't come off).

My advice is just enjoy it, their are no egos on these rides and with people like Kev and Ian and the some of the Blackwood boys there is a bags of experience and plenty of advice.
  • I've had my bike for a couple of years but haven't really ridden that regularly to ride too quickly on the trails. riding some more is the answer as you've suggested I think

On the climb I thought I was doing quite well as I used to push an awful lot so was quite happy on saturday until my little lie down! Need to pace myself a bit better or get a heart rate monitor as my legs didn't feel tired or felt out of breath. bit odd really.

I can't do this weekend but certainly up for something in the coming weeks.

anorak mode on - Also found out why my camera didn't record, looks like I've bought a fake memory card off ebay - reports as 16GB on the card on windows but won't actually write more than 2GB to it! /anorak mode off
    Orange P7 2007
    MOTM on first appearance 10/4/11
  • Stanners79 wrote:
    I've had my bike for a couple of years but haven't really ridden that regularly to ride too quickly on the trails. riding some more is the answer as you've suggested I think

On the climb I thought I was doing quite well as I used to push an awful lot so was quite happy on saturday until my little lie down! Need to pace myself a bit better or get a heart rate monitor as my legs didn't feel tired or felt out of breath. bit odd really.

I can't do this weekend but certainly up for something in the coming weeks.

anorak mode on - Also found out why my camera didn't record, looks like I've bought a fake memory card off ebay - reports as 16GB on the card on windows but won't actually write more than 2GB to it! /anorak mode off

I forgot about your lie down gutted i missed that sounded awesome. :)
    A few months ago i was on a comeback ride after a nasty injury and I thought i was having a full blown asthma attack on that technical bit of climbing after the bridge.
    It was a false alarm i was just Knackered. :oops: :oops: :oops:
  • famous after one ride, giggidy.

could let this fame go to my head....... I'll get my coat.
    Orange P7 2007
    MOTM on first appearance 10/4/11
  • :lol::lol:

Don't worry about climbing fast... i'm always at the back :D
  • welshkev
    stan : even if you find a short route by your house that you do on your own, there's a route by me that's only about 4 miles long but it has 2 quite big climbs in it and takes me about half an hour, just doing that when i have a bit of spare time has boosted my fitness andgot me handling the bike better 8)

and sladey i think stan blacking out beats your broken ribs :wink:
  • welshkev
    bloody hell daz you were flying down the last descent before that guy held you up :shock: :lol:
  • Pr][nCe
    I was not happy wounder you cant hear me swear mumbeling lol gggrrr :twisted:
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    Cannondale F400 - 2003
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Lol that guy aint moving nowhere! You're whistling away to yourself haha
  • herbman7
    herbman7 Posts: 6
    Hi All,

I actually live near London but my parents live in the Mumbles.
    I've recently build a dh/fr bike but ive got nowhere to use it here! just looking to find some good rides near my parents for when i visit

is there anything scheduled that I could join, as and when im in Wales?

thanks
    Ollie
    Giant Anthem X4
    Commencal Furious
    DirtyJo Singlespd DJ
    Old school orange race bike
  • Itsari
    Itsari Posts: 346
    At least the first one pulled over for ya :roll:
  • herbman7
    Just keep an eye out on this thread fella.

We usually ride every Sunday (or there is always at least some of us out!)
  • welshkev
    herbman7 wrote:
    Hi All,

I actually live near London but my parents live in the Mumbles.
    I've recently build a dh/fr bike but ive got nowhere to use it here! just looking to find some good rides near my parents for when i visit

is there anything scheduled that I could join, as and when im in Wales?

thanks
    Ollie

stop at cwmcarn on your way there/back, it's only 10 mins from junction 28 of the m4 and like northern monkey said keep an eye on here if you fancy some company 8)
  • Is it still light outside atm?

I'm considering a ride one night after work now its nicer out :D
  • welshkev
    yep still light up here ben, it ws lightish at 10 to 9 last night :D

i'm gutted i was supposed to be going riding with greth , ian etc tonight but i didn't finish work til late :cry:

if they go on thursday you should go with them, it's probably only 10 mins from your office :D
  • Ahh no can do on thurdsday :(

I'm in Birmingham for a meeting, then somwhere else in the midlands for another after that! Still, I get free bacon and lunch, don't have to drive, and probably won't do or say anything :lol:

i would have gone though! Going to make a point of getting out at least 1 night after work if I can... the weather is lush atm!
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    Just dropping a post in here to say cheers for them vids - been wanting to tackle Cwmcarn once I've got my fitness to a reasonable level as it's fairly local, but wasn't sure what the route itself was like and if I was up to it skill wise.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces
  • itsmygame
    itsmygame Posts: 277
    clamps81
    Just dropping a post in here to say cheers for them vids - been wanting to tackle Cwmcarn once I've got my fitness to a reasonable level as it's fairly local, but wasn't sure what the route itself was like and if I was up to it skill wise.

welcome, more the merrier mate.

herbman7
    hi mate, like kev said join in when you can.welshkev
    i'm gutted i was supposed to be going riding with greth , ian etc tonight but i didn't finish work til late Crying or Very sad

mate you missed a good one.awesome route :D:D:D:D:D
    RockHopper Expert ---- (the bike not me)
  • welshkev
    cheers mate, rub it in :lol:

glad you had a good ride, i wasn't as late home as i thought i would be but i still would've missed the start of the ride :(

i did go for a little ride on monday evening though so not all's bad
    :D

CLAMPS81:

feel free to tag along anytime mate :D
  • clamps81
    Will deffo tag along once I've got myself fit enough. Right now I'm dying just trying to ride up Twm Barlwm.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

• welshkev
    clamps81 wrote:
    Will deffo tag along once I've got myself fit enough. Right now I'm dying just trying to ride up Twm Barlwm.

where you from then mate? twm barlem is steep as hell anyway :lol:
  • clamps81
    My rents live in Ty Sign, so using that as a base and riding out from there at the moment- just trying to slog my way up the mountain road to where it joins with the scenic drive. Figure once I can get up there without dying I can tackle the last section of the Twrch and then I should be good to go.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

• welshkev
    there's some of us (me included) who are slow climbers so if you fancied some company just come along for a ride when you feel ready :D
  • Pr][nCe
    clamps81 wrote:

No probs, if it helps alls good, not to good quality this time more on youtube search for princeuker.

hope to go to afan with the mrs l8r if the weather stays ok.

well peeps we halfway through the week already and still no mention of this weekends ride any :idea:
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    Cannondale F400 - 2003
  • welshkev
    i'm trying to get a pass to go further afield but i'll see.

my builder finishes in the nursery on monday so i need to make sure everything is done by then so i may be working down there :?

what's everyone else thinking?
  • ianm59
    ianm59 Posts: 168
    If the weather is Ok does anyone fancy Manmaoel(near Blackwood). Well tidy natural ride. Nothing silly, just some good natural trails. Climbs are not too bad :roll: