south wales Rides?

1126127128129130132»

Comments

• jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    Avid Elixir 3's on at the moment, worth changing do you think?
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    jndb72 wrote:

I would say yes, I had Juicy 3's on my old hard tail and I could never get rid of the squeal, also the stopping power was not so good, I upgraded to XT's and never had an issue, my current Elixir 7's also have no issue, having said that though my mate has 2011 AM 6 and I am sure that has Elixr3's and he does not have the issue.......bikes can always use an upgrade though.......having been through this myself I would not throw money a my LBS to fix it, I would use that money to upgrade brakes and sell my old ones on ebay to recoup some of the outlay.

Simply put, if you can afford to blow some money on new brakes you are probably not going to be disappointed with XT's
  • jndb72
    Cheers for the info.
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0

• EC cycles sorted the brakes on my Canyon for about £8 :)
  • jndb72
    EC cycles sorted the brakes on my Canyon for about £8 :)

Were they Avid Elixir brakes and were they squealing by any chance??? Done a bit of Googling this evening and it seems to be a common problem with these brakes.

Cheers
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0

• jndb72
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    jndb72 wrote:

I would say yes, I had Juicy 3's on my old hard tail and I could never get rid of the squeal, also the stopping power was not so good, I upgraded to XT's and never had an issue, my current Elixir 7's also have no issue, having said that though my mate has 2011 AM 6 and I am sure that has Elixr3's and he does not have the issue.......bikes can always use an upgrade though.......having been through this myself I would not throw money a my LBS to fix it, I would use that money to upgrade brakes and sell my old ones on ebay to recoup some of the outlay.

Simply put, if you can afford to blow some money on new brakes you are probably not going to be disappointed with XT's

Out of curiosity where did you pick up the XT's from?

Cheers
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i have elixr 5's and have never had a problem :?
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Squealing brakes is down to contaminants on the face of the disc/pads. both will need keying and cleaning. This is recommended to be done with brake cleaner and fine sandpaper.

Nothing to do with brand of brakes..

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesd ... -2011.html
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • Welsh_Tom
    Welsh_Tom Posts: 571
    o look another canyon... its like anyone can buy one of them theses days :lol:
  • Mojo_666
    Squealing brakes is down to contaminants on the face of the disc/pads. both will need keying and cleaning. This is recommended to be done with brake cleaner and fine sandpaper.

You are right, it is nothing to do with brand, more to do with where in a given brands product line the brakes sit (except shimano and all other none avid brakes seemingly) the juicy 3 and elixir 3 are great brakes for the dosh, but they are cheap and that causes issues no matter how much effort, cleaning, re-adjusting and buying of new parts you do, none of that will get over a cheap product. I quite literally went around the block 4 times on the my juicy 3's and nothing would get rid of that howling (not the occasional wet weather squeal most brakes even my xt's and elixir 7's make but the permanent, screaming, ride stopping howl that actually puts you off braking or riding your bike which only owners of avid x3 brakes can understand.
  • Mojo_666
    Welsh_Tom wrote:
    o look another canyon... its like anyone can buy one of them theses days :lol:

How is life up top of that trend setting pedestal Tom? :lol:
  • jndb72
    Mojo_666 wrote:

You are right, it is nothing to do with brand, more to do with where in a given brands product line the brakes sit (except shimano and all other none avid brakes seemingly) the juicy 3 and elixir 3 are great brakes for the dosh, but they are cheap and that causes issues no matter how much effort, cleaning, re-adjusting and buying of new parts you do, none of that will get over a cheap product. I quite literally went around the block 4 times on the my juicy 3's and nothing would get rid of that howling (not the occasional wet weather squeal most brakes even my xt's and elixir 7's make but the permanent, screaming, ride stopping howl that actually puts you off braking or riding your bike which only owners of avid x3 brakes can understand.

Couldn't agree more. The squealing really does put you off going out.

Anyway, dropped the bike to a local(ish) LBS yesterday, expecting it back today. Would have really liked to have sorted the problem myself, but frustration got the better of me in the end.

Cheers
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0

• Pr][nCe
    Pr][nCe Posts: 626
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s195 ... =slideshow
    Santacruz Chameleon - 2005
    Cannondale F400 - 2003
  • Nice vid,

There will still be snow on that mountain in May :wink: