south wales Rides?

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I
    You out then this weekend Kev, where we fancying? Cwmcarn Sunday 9:30 for ease or... ?

yep i should be out, 9.30 at cwm sounds good to me 8)
  • Sambini
    Sambini Posts: 66
    Hi All

I managed to do a loop of cwmcarn on sunday morning. On my lonesome so thought id have a go against the clock. Started out thinking ill just go at a good pace and try for a just over an hour. Wheni finally got to the end puffing and panting in 1 hour 20 after thinking id been flying it ( didnt look at the watch on the way around!) I realised id been dreaming thinking about around in an hour. Anyway something to aim for. Fealt even better today when the chap in PS cycles said that the new corse record was 38mins!!!!!! Wow. Still im sure i get to enjoy the scenery more!.

Definatley up for the weekend like the idea of adding on the longer route again.
    Also good idea to look at riding up over wyllie next week, it give me chance to learn some trails on my dorstep.

well keep in touch
  • Pr][nCe
    Pr][nCe Posts: 626
    Stanners79 wrote:
    just took delivery of my Contour HD so quite eager to give it a try out this weekend! Afan anyone?

Looks like we off to cwm carn mukka you fancy it, more than welcome to meet up at mine (parents house "Tonyrefail" safe parking for u car) and jump in with me more the merrier :)

So its cwm carn Sunday usual 9:30 lads?
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s195 ... =slideshow
    Santacruz Chameleon - 2005
    Cannondale F400 - 2003
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Looks like, although I'm now getting bike envy but can't get a new bike until I get married :x

Sambini

1:20 is still a great time, don't beat yourself up about that or there's no hope for .... me... :lol:

Looking forward to it guys.
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • I think I'd be looking at more than double that these days!!!
    Cube Acid 2011
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Fair enough I'm a grumpy old man.

but we did check all was ok and he was being half carried half walked, I just lose patience i've seen so many messy bloody knee injuries in my time, I just feel it's really silly to not wear simple protection over the main impact area's. And so did the ambulance crew as we walked by.

Seen friends off work for 2 months after 5 MPH crashes just because he forgot his pads.

But i guess it's peoples own choice if they want to take risks with themselves.
  • "Pr wrote:
    [nCe"]
    Stanners79 wrote:
    just took delivery of my Contour HD so quite eager to give it a try out this weekend! Afan anyone?

Looks like we off to cwm carn mukka you fancy it, more than welcome to meet up at mine (parents house "Tonyrefail" safe parking for u car) and jump in with me more the merrier :)

Might be easier for me to get straight to Cwmcarn than come up through the Rhondda.

Going to have to MTFU and go up the climb or is there an alternative that I've read you talking about?
    Orange P7 2007
    MOTM on first appearance 10/4/11
  • welshkev
    Stanners79 wrote:
    "Pr wrote:
    [nCe"]
    Stanners79 wrote:

Might be easier for me to get straight to Cwmcarn than come up through the Rhondda.

Going to have to MTFU and go up the climb or is there an alternative that I've read you talking about?

there's a fireroad that i usually take - i hate that climb :lol: but if we add on the natural bit of riding i think we go up the fireroad anyway so it's a win :D
  • Pr][nCe
    no wories will cya in the carpark then?

I hope we are doing the alternative route up we did with ian, only prob ian's doing the DH, how goods your memory lol, i think i got the just of the route.

all we need now is the weather :twisted:
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    Cannondale F400 - 2003
  • welshkev
    i didn't do it with you last time but it's my stomping ground so i should be able to guess my way :lol:

but gareths coming aswell isn't he? so he'll know the way 8)
  • Thewaylander
    Not gonna do Cwm this weekend, getting more mid weeks in now :)

But trying to figure where i fancy hitting with my weekend days, any suggestions for local area other than the trails up machen?
  • welshkev
    wentwood was pretty good when we did the enduro. but i guess you have to know your way around or be prepared to explore a bit :D

or a mate of mine rides at llantrisant quite a lot
  • Thewaylander
    Heard there is some good riding up there, will have to go for an explore some time now the fitness is coming back on, get a couple of longer days doing 30-40k on trails i know then the explore legs should be ready :)
  • I'll come to the carpark for 9.30 then.

I have a blue focus and an P7 bike.

all I've ever heard is that the climb is horrendous - how does it compare to say the fireroad at Penhydd or the Whites level climb?
    Orange P7 2007
  • Thewaylander
    much more demanding than either.

both of the climbs you mentioned are relatively easy, Whites is just a bit longish so can tire if your not used to it. But Cwm is steeper and a bit more technical.

my veiw though if you can get cwm good and ride up smoothly you can ride up pretty much anywhere :)
  • welshkev
    Stanners79 wrote:
    I'll come to the carpark for 9.30 then.

I have a blue focus and an P7 bike.

all I've ever heard is that the climb is horrendous - how does it compare to say the fireroad at Penhydd or the Whites level climb?

similar to the whites level climb but steeper!!!!

the fireroad is steep but if i can ride it quite easily anyone can :lol: the fireroad is not the 'easy' option but it is easier than the proper climb :lol: and you get 99% of the climbing out of the way at the start so you can enjoy the downs after 8)

there's a few fit guys in the group but everyone waits at regular intervals and me and james will be propping up the back no fear :lol:
  • Pr][nCe
    edited April 2011
    much more demanding than either.

both of the climbs you mentioned are relatively easy, Whites is just a bit longish so can tire if your not used to it. But Cwm is steeper and a bit more technical.

my veiw though if you can get cwm good and ride up smoothly you can ride up pretty much anywhere :)

+1

cya in carpark.
    do hope we do the alternative natural route up tho.
    Red 04 Clio with that bike on it.
    |
    |
    |
    V
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    Cannondale F400 - 2003
  • just to check too, it's the twrch trail you're doing?
    Orange P7 2007
  • Thewaylander
    hey Kev you know they have been up with some mud and a shovel on Whites climb now.. they have made it super smooth :( no fun anymore
  • Pr][nCe
    yea twrch trial Stanners.

im looking forward to doing the W2 run in the very neer future peeps, never done it myself, more new trails the better i think :)
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    Cannondale F400 - 2003
  • Please call me Stan, should've thought a bit better about my forum name!

I'll be up for doing a W2 at some point too, at least I know what to expect up there.

I can get around most climbs fine, I just may need to take a breather every so often. I started cycling to work last year and it's helped with my fitness no end. I used to have to push on quite a lot of climbs before and I never used to ride that frequently to get used to it.
    Orange P7 2007
  • welshkev
    hey Kev you know they have been up with some mud and a shovel on Whites climb now.. they have made it super smooth :( no fun anymore

no i haven't ridden whites since sometime last year, don't really like it and it's always busy :?
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    welshkev wrote:
    me and james will be propping up the back no fear :lol:

NO FEAR :lol:
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • ianm59 wrote:
    I am doing the DH on Sunday, got a uplift booked :D
    Next weekend though, does anyonee fancy doing either the postponed Manmoel ride or a little jaunt from Bryn Meadows golf club (Pontllanfraith), taking in some of Cwmboyos video ride. That involves a bit of everything.

Manmoel ride sounds great
  • Thewaylander
    welshkev wrote:

no i haven't ridden whites since sometime last year, don't really like it and it's always busy :?

yarp i got the climb when i do shortened skyline at the mo ( cos i'm still a little fat) But been really disapointed the only biits that make you think are gone, totally smooth all the way up now.

Cwm is the only climb with a few technical bits left in for trail centers in wales :( and it's slowly getting smoothed over :( ok sulking now lol
  • Silversladey
    Silversladey Posts: 450
    edited April 2011
    Fair enough I'm a grumpy old man.

but we did check all was ok and he was being half carried half walked, I just lose patience i've seen so many messy bloody knee injuries in my time, I just feel it's really silly to not wear simple protection over the main impact area's. And so did the ambulance crew as we walked by.

Seen friends off work for 2 months after 5 MPH crashes just because he forgot his pads.

But i guess it's peoples own choice if they want to take risks with themselves.

I am looking at getting a set of Pads (elbow and Knee) anybody got any suggestions, need to be comfy for epic long day rides
  • Thewaylander
    I find 66 one Kyle straights very comfortable knee pads for all day riding,

Elbo not so sure, haven't worn some in years, Will ask my friend Rob what he uses on the arms, but he has a tendancy to only put the elbow ones on for down as he gets a bit warm in what he has :s
  • welshkev
    i use 661 earth knee pads, £32 and are really comfy, but i very rarely wear them :oops:

i'm gonna fall off on the weekend now i've said that :lol: :?
  • Thewaylander
    wear them, if i find out my trail is blocked by an abulance man cos you have scraped your damn knee Lol
  • Pr][nCe
    Hi Stan :lol: myself aka Darren 8)

i went with the new fox launch supose to be nice comfy fit and take a good knock, fox ballistic sound superb but to me look like tights lol, but then had to cancel no stock untill mid may so still looking elseware for a set
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    Cannondale F400 - 2003