south wales Rides?

Comments

• Pr][nCe
    Pr][nCe Posts: 626
    hope to see you guys mountainside one day soon :(
    will be there Sunday for 9:30, got to get some miles in ready for this enduro, and to shake down the bike again after afan yeasterday, puncture, chain chatter, gears outsink after changing from 11-32 to 11-34, rearwheel bearings need changing.

Name is Darren.
    Gimme shout! will hang around for 15-20 minutes if i don't see anyone or tag on to another group, have a good un peeps.

04 Red Clio, roofrack,
    that bike
    |
    |
    |
    |
    V
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s195 ... =slideshow
    Santacruz Chameleon - 2005
    Cannondale F400 - 2003
  • jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    where abouts are you? i use tredz in cardiff cos i work right next door. PS cycles in abercarn are supoosed to be good aswell :D

Deepest, Darkest valleys, mate Aberdare. Been to Tredz in both Swansea and Cardiff a few times and they seem OK.

Cheers
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • jndb72
    "Pr wrote:
    [nCe"]hope to see you guys mountainside one day soon :(
    will be there Sunday for 9:30, got to get some miles in ready for this enduro, and to shake down the bike again after afan yeasterday, puncture, chain chatter, gears outsink after changing from 11-32 to 11-34, rearwheel bearings need changing.

Name is Darren.
    Gimme shout! will hang around for 15-20 minutes if i don't see anyone or tag on to another group, have a good un peeps.

04 Red Clio, roofrack,
    that bike
    |
    |
    |
    |
    V

Where in the Rhondda do ytou ride mate?
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0

• welshkev wrote:
    I know what you mean Kev!

I won't be out with you guys next weekend either :( i'm going to be riding on Friday morning next week if anyone is interested?

I have family over that weekend so can't get out :(

Think I might ride 26th and 27th the week after to get more miles in. I have a feeling this 25k might eb a bit of a shock to the system!

is that the 19th? what you got planned? i could do with a day off :lol:

friday is the 18th :wink:

Just a ride round Cwm, general ride to keep the legs moving!

would be fairly early... 9:30 ish... as i've gotta get home to tidy the flat and meet the relatives in the afternoon!
  • hi
    will be there at 9.30 (grey pug 407 06) see you then.
    del
    dale prophet sl
    dale f4
    boardman urban
  • jndb72 wrote:
    Afternoon guys,

Slightly off topic, but seening as we're all pretty much local, can any of you reccommend a good local LBS that can give my bike a quick service, and more importantly sort out by bloody gears. I took it to an LBS near me a while back and since it's come back the gears, both front and rear, are slipping all over the place. The front got stuck on the big ring today when I was out on a ride, and I couldn't get them to change down again. I've tried adjusting things, but not being mechanically minded, I've probally made things a whole lot worse.

Alternatively, if any of you lot are mechanically minded and want to earn a few quick quid.......I'd rather line your pockets with my hard earned cash than give it to a shop.

Still hoping to get out with you all soon, just putting the finishing touches to a house I'm renovating and then I should have some free time.

Cheers

J

I use a guy called Andy lives about 200 metres from Cwmcarn Twrch Trail, he is a nice honest guy and really good at fixing bikes, also builds wheels if you want his numbrer PM me
  • Pr][nCe
    jndb72 wrote:

Mostly as im from Porth, just up trehafod forest, ride the odd one over to smilog forest, some times do a large one, Porth over trehafod forest to Tonyrefail, then upto the top Gilfach, up and over to Tonypandy, then make my way back to Porth.

Driving again now, and living in the middle just about of Cwn carn and Afan, so just going wherever.

yourself?
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    Cannondale F400 - 2003
  • Pr][nCe
    dandel36 wrote:
    hi
    will be there at 9.30 (grey pug 407 06) see you then.
    del

Will lookout for you Del.
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    Cannondale F400 - 2003
  • jndb72
    "Pr wrote:
    [nCe"]
    jndb72 wrote:

Mostly as im from Porth, just up trehafod forest, ride the odd one over to smilog forest, some times do a large one, Porth over trehafod forest to Tonyrefail, then upto the top Gilfach, up and over to Tonypandy, then make my way back to Porth.

Driving again now, and living in the middle just about of Cwn carn and Afan, so just going wherever.

yourself?

Usually the forestry tracks between Llanwono, Maerdy and Rhigos at the mo.

Cheers
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    my mate lee will be there again in a blue 04 golf riding the white felt. he was with us last week so he said he'd keep an eye out for you all again.

have a good one :D
  • Pr][nCe
    jndb72 wrote:

Cheers

Never been up that far ferndale when out with the GF thats about it, whats it like?

trehafod forest is mostly forest road with a mad last section down like a 4 tier coal face.

smilog/llantrisant forest is more fast flowing/borderline freeride, if you hit the rite trails, as there are many, and a good few peeps in and around the forest.

but now im driving i plan to get out to afan, cwm carn etc.

where you from?
    welshkev wrote:
    my mate lee will be there again in a blue 04 golf riding the white felt. he was with us last week so he said he'd keep an eye out for you all again.

Will keep an eye out :)
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    Cannondale F400 - 2003
  • jndb72
    "Pr wrote:
    [nCe"]
    jndb72 wrote:

Cheers

Never been up that far ferndale when out with the GF thats about it, whats it like?

trehafod forest is mostly forest road with a mad last section down like a 4 tier coal face.

smilog/llantrisant forest is more fast flowing/borderline freeride, if you hit the rite trails, as there are many, and a good few peeps in and around the forest.

but now im driving i plan to get out to afan, cwm carn etc.

where you from?

Currently in Aberdare, originally from Ferndale (with a 12 year stint in Bridgend in between)

It's mostly all fireroad, with a few hair raising downhills thrown in. I've ridden wither Cwmcarn or Afan, but will hopefully have a crack at them in the next few months.

Cheers
    welshkev wrote:

Will keep an eye out :)
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0

• welshkev
    who braved the weather in the end then?
  • Pr][nCe
    Del and i was there, was worse than last weekend lol,
    but just as much fun :)
    Nice to meet you Del, cya next time mukka :)
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    Cannondale F400 - 2003
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    I rode yesterday, went on my tod as I was drinking last night and glad I did seeing the weather today.

Just out the car park park I met up with Darren (I'm pretty sure it was Darren - crap with names!) thewaylanders buddy. Really nice guy and he humoured me all the around by very kindly stopping and waiting for me to drag my carcass up the climbs etc. Was great to have a riding partner. All was well until I had quite a big off just after the switch back on the last sweeping DH section. One of two things happened

Scenario a

I got a front puncture which caused me to have quite a big off

scenario b

I had quite a big off which caused me to get a puncture

I'm going with scenario a for obvious reasons :lol:

It's a surprisingly long walk down that last section :?

Hopefully see all you guys soon. Afans calling[/code]
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • Pr][nCe
    edited February 2011
    Crash of the day for me :)

http://www.vimeo.com/19907338

thinking of going to Afan with a m8 on Thursday around 9:30 ish, could be up for it Sunday also.
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    Cannondale F400 - 2003
  • ianm59
    ianm59 Posts: 168
    On Friday. I didn't see on here anyone going . So 4 of us set off from Pontllanfraith, over Machen mtn to Cwmcarn, gave up at Twn Barlwm(wet, cold and exhausted), rode back to Blackwood. Looking back it was a good ride but a bit too ambitious in those conditions. Maybe we can all catch up in the near future.
  • welshkev
    ianm59 wrote:
    On Friday. I didn't see on here anyone going . So 4 of us set off from Pontllanfraith, over Machen mtn to Cwmcarn, gave up at Twn Barlwm(wet, cold and exhausted), rode back to Blackwood. Looking back it was a good ride but a bit too ambitious in those conditions. Maybe we can all catch up in the near future.

i really want to ride machen mountain, we'll have to all ride there soon.

next sunday is the crudcatcher ride at FOD, i've been given a pass by the GF so is anyone else up for it? :D
  • Next Sunday as in this Sunday or a week on Sunday? Lol.

Kev, you up for Friday morning?
  • welshkev
    this sunday, as in the 20th.

i do have a day off on friday but i have an appointment to try and change my mortgage at 10am so i'll have to pass sorry mate. i'm off on monday aswell though if you're around?
  • Ahh poo, can't do Sunday :( Hense riding on Friday!

I'll see if I can get a pass for Monday, work owe me :lol:
  • Pr][nCe
    Can't do Afan Thursday.
    May be going in the morning instead :)
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    Cannondale F400 - 2003
  • ianm59
    ianm59 Posts: 168
    "i really want to ride machen mountain, we'll have to all ride there soon.

next sunday is the crudcatcher ride at FOD, i've been given a pass by the GF so is anyone else up for it?"
    We ride this regular. More Wyllie / Ynysddu side. We start at Bryn Meadows Golf Club at Pontllanfraith. Whe (or if) the weather changes we could arrange a long ride from there. Know some really good singletrack there.
    What this Crudcatcher stuff. Could be interested in that.
  • welshkev
    ianm59 wrote:
    "i really want to ride machen mountain, we'll have to all ride there soon.

next sunday is the crudcatcher ride at FOD, i've been given a pass by the GF so is anyone else up for it?"
    We ride this regular. More Wyllie / Ynysddu side. We start at Bryn Meadows Golf Club at Pontllanfraith. Whe (or if) the weather changes we could arrange a long ride from there. Know some really good singletrack there.
    What this Crudcatcher stuff. Could be interested in that.

there's a section on here called the crudcatcher, basically a place where people can post stuff not to do with biking and generally feck around. some of the guys are meeting at FOD on sunday at 10.30.

i'm in 2 minds now looking at the weather, it gets very muddy up there and if it carries on peeing it down it'll be a slog :? and also it's the mini downhill race there so it'll be busy, but it might be worth a trip to ride a bit and take some pics of the DH :D
  • welshkev
    yeah, weather is crap at the mo! I really hope its nicer for the enduro!

Going to change to a normal seatpost for this friday!
  • Squarepants
    FOD = Forest of Dean I assume Kev.

Hmm what to do :?

I used to start at Bryn Meadows GC myself and ride up Wylie Mountain, would end up right at the top with all that black shale stuff, then down through the lanes to Caerphilly and back to Pengam through the Brad etc. Bit of a mission but good, no scrap that, a killer nonetheless.

Kev how you planning on getting there Sunday, some sort of car i'd imagine :lol: :roll:
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • welshkev
    FOD = Forest of Dean I assume Kev.

Hmm what to do :?

Kev how you planning on getting there Sunday, some sort of car i'd imagine :lol: :roll:

FOD = Forest of Dean, Yes :D

i thought i might get there by riding via birmingham like before :wink::lol:

yeah i'll take my car, if i go i'll have a space for a bike on the roof if you fancy it?
  • Squarepants
    welshkev wrote:
    i thought i might get there by riding via birmingham like before :wink::lol:

:lol: don't confuse me now
    welshkev wrote:
    yeah i'll take my car, if i go i'll have a space for a bike on the roof if you fancy it?

Pleasure cheers for the offer. What sort of timings do you think the day will take. When would be the ET of return?
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • welshkev
    i think the plan was to meet at 10.30, probably a couple of hours riding and maybe check out a bit of the DH race so i'd say back by about 3ish

but i'm leaning towards binning off FOD and going to afan :? i just think FOD will be really muddy and soggy and not much fun at all. 24km of the wall will let me know if i'm in good shape for the enduro :D
  • Squarepants
    That sounds like a plan actually Kev, I'm up for that definately
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR