Transfers and contracts thread

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    Are people really surprised? Leferve has hardly been a beacon of hope in the fight against doping after all. For those with short memories, he did sign Virenque when he came back from a doping ban.

As for Ricco, whilst he might not be the most likeable characters, I don't see why he gets singled out as the poster boy for doping. He's served his time and is ellligible to return, and in that respect is no different from Vinokourov, Basso or Kashechkin.
  • True... the 3 you mention above were hardly noted for their acceptance of the punishment or remorse.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Basso has tried to make amends and get a fresh start. Ricco instead has just been boasting and seems to rub people up the wrong way. Anyway, the Dutch media are reporting he's going to Vacansoleil.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Kléber wrote:
    Basso has tried to make amends and get a fresh start. Ricco instead has just been boasting and seems to rub people up the wrong way. Anyway, the Dutch media are reporting he's going to Vacansoleil.

They just want more airtime with Tankink boasting about how he punched Ricco on a decent.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    the problem with Ricco is that he realised at a young age doping was the key to the sport and even boasted as a junior he was doping !

I can't see him changing his ways just finding new ways to stay one step ahead of the testers
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Some football fans, in regard to transfer rumours, say 'I'll believe it when I see him standing next to the manager wearing the shirt".

So here you are

Ricco_03.jpg

Ricco - Vacansoleil, done deal.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited August 2010
    Nice find Rich. Why on earth is he saying he has signed with QS then...unless he had then was turned down due to opposition from existing QS riders, or he was misquoted.

Disappointing that he is with VS as it doesn't guarantee GTs, although I think they are a good squad and definitely trying to up their game for 2011.

Edit: VS applying for PT status so GTs for Ricco may not be an issue:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/14-team ... our-places

Thor on Sastre, no love lost!

"He has not really done crap the last two years."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Ricco info:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ricco-s ... acansoleil

Good quotes from both sides
    Contador is the Greatest
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759

Crikey! Although again it shows the problems of being a Grand Tour GC-only type of guy in the Contador era. That and getting old, of course...
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    RichN95 wrote:
    Some football fans, in regard to transfer rumours, say 'I'll believe it when I see him standing next to the manager wearing the shirt".

So here you are

Ricco_03.jpg

Ricco - Vacansoleil, done deal.

Didn't see that coming :shock:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    :roll:

So much for all that written about Levefre and Ricco eh?

Myself included
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    There was some issue to do with Ricco's shoe sponsor (Vittoria) vs Quick-Step (Sidi?) but I think we all know Ricco is just dodging the bullet and he'll get caught again.
    M.Rushton
  • andyp

He's won as many GT stages as Hushovd in the past two years. He also meant CTT got an invite to the Tour last year.

Some people have short memories.
  • sherer
    greeny12 wrote:

Crikey! Although again it shows the problems of being a Grand Tour GC-only type of guy in the Contador era. That and getting old, of course...

Although Sastre is a very good rider I remember during the giro it said he only had 10 career victories. Ok one of them is the TdF but I did expect him to have much more than that
  • andyp
    sherer wrote:
    Although Sastre is a very good rider I remember during the giro it said he only had 10 career victories. Ok one of them is the TdF but I did expect him to have much more than that

He's a climber with no sprint who is also a threat on GC so his chances of winning a race are very limited. How many mountain top finishes are there in a season, 10 or so? Compare that to the number of bunch finishes and you're not comparing like with like.
  • sherer
    andyp wrote:
    sherer wrote:

He's a climber with no sprint who is also a threat on GC so his chances of winning a race are very limited. How many mountain top finishes are there in a season, 10 or so? Compare that to the number of bunch finishes and you're not comparing like with like.

He also doesn't seem to have many overall wins in stage races either. Yes he has the TdF but then no Paris-Nice, Pais Vasco or anything like that. Apart from the TdF the only stage race he has won is a two stage event in Barcelona.

He does of course have a very good top 10 for each of the GCs but actual overall wins are very few
  • frenchfighter
    Kreuziger
    “Vinokourov makes a great impression on me,” he said. “He has a feel for what is important for the team. Vino is a wonderful man, always a great competitor. I'm glad that I can work with him in the same team. His words have great weight in Astana, followed by the solution of many issues. Even taking into account that next year he still races, it is 99 percent sure that he will become the new team manager [after that].”

“I have been here [with Liquigas] for five wonderful years, from which I gained much,” he explained. “But last year I felt that changes were needed, otherwise stagnation. I think I’m moving at the right time.”

“Contador went to Saxo Bank with a few Spaniards, but Tiralongo and Grivko, who also proved to be excellent in the Tour, are likely to remain. From Liquigas, Kiserlovsky will also come along with me, and the team are chasing [new signatures from] Stangelj and Gasparotto.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    andyp wrote:

He's won as many GT stages as Hushovd in the past two years. He also meant CTT got an invite to the Tour last year.

Some people have short memories.

That's pretty disrespectful in my view - his two stage wins in the 09 Giro weren't to be sniffed at. Sure, he's underperformed at the Tour in terms of GC, but the only reason they even got an invite was becuase Sastre was the team leader.
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    Menchov to Geox... surprises me...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I am disappointed to read that Visconti is staying with ISD–Neri–Giambenini. Early on in this thread it said he was going to Liquigas.

It seems there was a reason behind Visconti staying at ISD. They're merging with Lampre.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lampre-and-isd-to-join-forces-in-2011
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    bipedal wrote:
    Menchov to Geox... surprises me...
    Yes completely agree on that, very surprised!!
  • frenchfighter
    RichN95 wrote:
    I am disappointed to read that Visconti is staying with ISD–Neri–Giambenini. Early on in this thread it said he was going to Liquigas.

It seems there was a reason behind Visconti staying at ISD. They're merging with Lampre.

Interesting development - good stuff.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Blimey, Geox seeing more unveilings than the gates of a French school...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL
    Pro Cycling (the VeloNation Twitter feed) reporting that Alex Dowsett has signed for Sky.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • sherer
    RichN95 wrote:

so will they be on Wilier or MCippolini bikes ? I would guess Wilier
  • frenchfighter
    Menchov signs with Geox for two years.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Liguigas:

Riders with contracts extended through 2012:
    Daniel Oss (Italy), Jacopo Guarnieri (Italy), Valerio Agnoli (Italy), Davide Cimolai (Italy), Fabio Sabatini (Italy), Alessandro Vanotti (Italy), Elia Viviani (Italy), Kristjan Koren (Slovenia), Maciej Bodnar (Poland) and Sylwester Szmyd (Poland)

Riders with contracts extended through 2011:
    Mauro Finetto (Italy), Francesco Bellotti (Italy), Tiziano Dall’Antonia (Italy) and Maciej Paterski (Poland)

Euskatel
    Amets Txurruka for two more years, and Gorka Verdugo for one
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    DaveyL wrote:
    Pro Cycling (the VeloNation Twitter feed) reporting that Alex Dowsett has signed for Sky.

This is pretty cool. The guy is pretty unreal. Winning at Hog Hill, won some BikeRadar flying lap or something and was leading the Tour of Utah after coming 2nd in the prologue to Phinney and keeping 24 secs ahead of the bunch on the first stage (came 2nd on the stage). He is well back after 2nd stage as it was a summit finish. 9m TT today.

utah10st01-dow.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DaveyL
    He also won the European U-23 TT champs

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ships.html
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • frenchfighter
    Nice. Him and Phinney are going to provide some nice duels in the TTs for the years to come.
    Contador is the Greatest