Transfers and contracts thread

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited January 2011 in Pro race
It nears Tour time so contract circus begins.

Szymd renews contract with Liquigas

Greg van Avermaet to BMC

Taylor Phinney to Radioshack.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Are these official or rumoured?

Would be very disappointed if Phinney went to RS, but I suppose it would lower their average age by a fair bit...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Phinney's going to RadioShack, that's fo sho. No contract signed but he's almost certain to sign one. Unless the team blows up...
  • El Imbatido
    El Imbatido Posts: 144
    This is total speculation but after Johann Tschopp's good performance at the Giro he would probably be in line for a contract to Phonak v2 ie. BMC since he is swiss and rode for the original phonak....
    Do you have any Therapeutic Use Exemptions?
    No. Never have.
    Never? What about the cortisone?
    Well, obviously there was the cortisone
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    This is total speculation but after Johann Tschopp's good performance at the Giro he would probably be in line for a contract to Phonak v2 ie. BMC since he is swiss and rode for the original phonak....

Not wishing to derail the thread too much, but I read some grumblings about Tschopp's "antics" earlier on in the stage that he won - anyone know what was he doing?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • El Imbatido
    Also John Gadret will probably be looking for a pay rise.......don't know his contract situation but if i was him i would want some more $$$.

Wasn't Cancellara rumored to be going to BMC???

If BMC are smart and since they supposably have a massive budget, they should start trying to pick off Caisse and Saxo riders since those teams are struggling for sponsors for next season
    No. Never have.
  • Kléber
    He outsprinted Simoni on the Gavia to take the "Cima Coppi" prize. Some said he should have gifted Simoni the prize, as it was Gibo's last race. But Tschopp said something like "I'm not here to hand out gifts" and if Gibo wants to enter cycling legend, being gifted things was not the way to earn it.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Re Taylor - he said he would go to the highest bidder so RS would have to up their offer.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Cancellara's moving to Yamaha

Seriously though. I read that Cunego is talking to Garmin and another team (can't remember right now).

Also, Matt Lloyd was linked to Sky a while back and Quick Step seem keen on Greipel.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,796
    DaveyL wrote:

Not wishing to derail the thread too much, but I read some grumblings about Tschopp's "antics" earlier on in the stage that he won - anyone know what was he doing?

from what i saw it was the other way round and he got p1ssed off with it all and rode off...

hard to judge seeing as we missed loads of the stage due to cloud cover..

Tschopp also didn't gift Gibo the cima coppi which may be a factor
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • frenchfighter
    The other team interested in Cunego is supposedly Cervelo.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DaveyL wrote:

There's some interesting background on Tschopp here - sounds like my type of rider!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tschopp ... -stage-win
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Its kinda old news, but haven't seen anything about it posted on here. Pat's got a new gig:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sinkewi ... h-isd-neri
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • frenchfighter
    There's some interesting background on Tschopp here - sounds like my type of rider!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tschopp ... -stage-win

Thanks, that was a good read. Hopefully he gets a good look for next season - Cadel could certainly use some mountain help.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Kléber
    It's worth nothing the following teams are still hunting for sponsors for 2011

Astana (no confirmation of renewal yet but likely to continue)
    Saxo
    Bbox
    Caisse d'Epargne
    Milram

So plenty of pickings for the other teams.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    I thought Bbox (or Bouygues Telecom) had renewed for at least another year?
  • El Imbatido
    RichN95 wrote:
    Also, Matt Lloyd was linked to Sky a while back and Quick Step seem keen on Greipel.

Harmon said during one of the Giro stages that Cadel has asked his management to try and get Lloyd IIRC

Also i thought it was Omega Pharma-Lotto that was after Greipel. At Quickstep it would just end up with Greipel being in the same position as he is now when it comes to riding the TdF
    No. Never have.
  • iainf72
    Harmon said during one of the Giro stages that Cadel has asked his management to try and get Lloyd IIRC

And Sean made the comment about getting Gadret.

BMC are supposed to be offering a lot of money so I'm sure they'll beef up their line up a lot next year.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    I thought SunGard were going to step up as main sponsor at Saxo?
  • Kléber
    ju5t1n wrote:
    I thought SunGard were going to step up as main sponsor at Saxo?
    Rumour only
    andyp wrote:
    I thought Bbox (or Bouygues Telecom) had renewed for at least another year?
    No, Cofidis have signed on but Bbox are still waiting for news.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Isn't Taylor Phinney going to be riding for RS as a stagiare for the latter half of this season?
  • frenchfighter
    Belgian Super Team was mentioned by Lefevere:
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4347/ ... -team.aspx

Greg Van Avermaet had an offer from BMC:
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4395/ ... m-BMC.aspx

Surely Devolder has got to be on his last legs.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Kléber
    Devolder is a "character", nothing wrong with that but he is near impossible to manage. So very strong but hard to include in a team.

As for one big Belgian team, I can't see it. Lefevere is slowly being exposed as a busted flush. Yes he won a lot of races but that was because he could wave a chequebook without asking questions about whether his star riders were coached by Ferrari, Cecchini, Conconi or Saiz.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Is using the Rabo model really a good idea. They've not exactly been a roaring success recently. Outside of Freire and Vienna Denis, I can't think of anyone who has delivered a result of note for years.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • iainf72
    Friere has renewed with Rabo for 2011

Rujano has quit Footen and is moving to Gobernación del Zulia on a years contract.

Did anyone else hear that owl?
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630

Popovych mk II...

Speaking of which, I read that Popo's best bud Volodomir Bileka might sign with Amore e Vita.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    afx237vi wrote:

Popovych mk II...

Run it by me again how Popo won his monuments ?
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Moray Gub wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Popovych mk II...

Same way Devloder finished on the podium of a Grand Tour
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Moray Gub wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Popovych mk II...

Same way Devloder finished on the podium of a Grand Tour

Are you seriously equating winning two Flanders with a 3rd in the Giro ?
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !