• fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    cant believe some of the whoppers on here who think this is fact! :shock:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • amd-sco
    amd-sco Posts: 94
    Hey it's going mainstream

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... pring.html

Like others here I can't believe why people are giving this credence.

Is it possible - Yes

Did Fab do it - No, he didn't need it before when he won P-R, & all else & is top form this year.
    ‘There is No Try. There is only Do. Or do not.’
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    amd-sco wrote:
    Hey it's going mainstream

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... pring.html

Like others here I can't believe why people are giving this credence.

Is it possible - Yes

Did Fab do it - No, he didn't need it before when he won P-R, & all else & is top form this year.

Cut and paste journalism at its finest.

I have a totally wacky idea. Why doesn't someone just ask Cassani who the bike belongs to - or is that just too easy?!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    afx237vi wrote:

I have a totally wacky idea. Why doesn't someone just ask Cassani who the bike belongs to - or is that just too easy?!

My guess it belongs to either (a) the RAI props department or (b) Gruber Assist people who have got a huge amount of publicity out of this.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • plectrum
    plectrum Posts: 225
    afx237vi wrote:

The bike came in a box from Denmark, it is clearly Michael Rasmussen pulling a prank on Cassani for ruining his career!
  • From previous Telegraph article :-

'Pat McQuaid, UCI president, has said he is “studying the situation” and has contacted Cassani.'

If this is true, his position and credibility on the UCI really does have to be questioned!!
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    If you look closely at said bike you’ll notice that throughout the whole race FC does not use the water bottle. This got me thinking, could this have been a fuel source? To be sure I decided to carryout some basic mathematical and physics type testing. I could stuff quite a few torch batteries in there but they did rattle around a lot and the lid kept falling off. The other option, and the more likely one is that I could fit a quantity of two stoke oil in the bottle. To confirm this I took my water bottle to kwik Fit to speak to one of the expert mechanics and they confirmed that yes indeed the bottle could hold two stoke oil. I’ve also noticed that the two stroke oil did not make a lot of sound like the torch batteries. As for the smoke from the engine you’ll remember that P-R was very dusty that day! Very clever Mr FC.
    I shall forward my findings to Mr McQuaid who clearly has his finger on the button.(On the button.. did you get it..see what i said..ah fcuk it i'll get my coat)
  • KentS
    KentS Posts: 240
    Homer J wrote:
    If you look closely at said bike you’ll notice that throughout the whole race FC does not use the water bottle. This got me thinking, could this have been a fuel source? To be sure I decided to carryout some basic mathematical and physics type testing. I could stuff quite a few torch batteries in there but they did rattle around a lot and the lid kept falling off. The other option, and the more likely one is that I could fit a quantity of two stoke oil in the bottle. To confirm this I took my water bottle to kwik Fit to speak to one of the expert mechanics and they confirmed that yes indeed the bottle could hold two stoke oil. I’ve also noticed that the two stroke oil did not make a lot of sound like the torch batteries. As for the smoke from the engine you’ll remember that P-R was very dusty that day! Very clever Mr FC.
    I shall forward my findings to Mr McQuaid who clearly has his finger on the button.(On the button.. did you get it..see what i said..ah fcuk it i'll get my coat)
    I sure hope he used a particle filter! :D
  • ProBiker
    ProBiker Posts: 74
    " The UCI are reportedly investigating Cancellara’s whereabouts in the months leading up to the Spring Classics. The Swiss champion made several trips to China and specifically the Shensuken factory in the Sichuan provence. The factory specializes in building tiny motors for use in children’s toys......"

“Shensuken has a joint partnership with a Swiss company the designs high end designer wrist watches. It’s possible this was a secret project to develop a miniaturized motor,” said the UCI’s Pierre Rigoler. “We’re not making allegations, we’re simply checking leads.....”
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    ProBiker wrote:
    who is the picture of that accompanies that story?
  • ProBiker
    ProBiker Posts: 74
    ProBiker wrote:
    who is the picture of that accompanies that story?

Not sure, it ain't cancellara..... Could be Maarten Tjallingii or Lars boom?
  • andyxm
    andyxm Posts: 132
    ProBiker wrote:

That story is pretty bad, even for the Telegraph, wrong picture, dodgy spelling and wtf are these batteries that I can slip into my saddlebag that will help me get to the top of a hill. Unbelievable.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    you gotta admit, at 3 minutes 35 that is one hell of a kick he puts in while in the saddle. I had a few critics for calling that 50km into question...wonder if it was?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0NXGTKn ... re=related
  • dave_1
    can they not go to that road and measure from the camera the power spike in those 50 yards...he looks like he's on a motorcycle now no?
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    ProBiker wrote:
    " The UCI are reportedly investigating Cancellara’s whereabouts in the months leading up to the Spring Classics. The Swiss champion made several trips to China and specifically the Shensuken factory in the Sichuan provence. The factory specializes in building tiny motors for use in children’s toys......"

“Shensuken has a joint partnership with a Swiss company the designs high end designer wrist watches. It’s possible this was a secret project to develop a miniaturized motor,” said the UCI’s Pierre Rigoler. “We’re not making allegations, we’re simply checking leads.....”

Where is this quote from?
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Dave_1 wrote:
    can they not go to that road and measure from the camera the power spike in those 50 yards...he looks like he's on a motorcycle now no?

Already been done

http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2010/05 ... power.html

Strava is not Zen.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    csp wrote:
    ProBiker wrote:

Where is this quote from?

It's from the Twisted Spoke blog. (i.e. a spoof news website).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Surely this has all got a bit silly?

If the UCI commit to investigating all 'theoretically possible' technologies, they'll have a big job on their hands. Scram jets, anti-matter and the exploitation of black holes and collapsed stars to gain an unfair advantage in a bike race are just round the corner...

I still can't beleive this story still has legs.
    I like a laugh as much as the next guy, but still..........
  • dave_1
    calvjones wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Already been done

cheers,...its a helluva kick...Cav level stuff
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,229
    inseine wrote:
    I just can't see that they'd risk cheating like this. If you got caught there's no way to deny it or say it was just the rider, or a spiked bidon or whatever. On the otherhand I think it's completely plausible that the technology exists despite all the rubbish on here about the size of the battery or the noise etc. Shame they can't track down 'that' bike.

+1 to that. Irrespective of whether it can or can't be done there would be no wriggle room for anyone caught using it. What would happen in a crash if the tubes broke? The easy solution would be to ban anyone associated with cheating in this way (rider, mechanics, DS) from cycling for life as there would be no defence or any cause for reasonable doubt.
  • dave_1
    Pross wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    I just can't see that they'd risk cheating like this. If you got caught there's no way to deny it or say it was just the rider, or a spiked bidon or whatever. On the otherhand I think it's completely plausible that the technology exists despite all the rubbish on here about the size of the battery or the noise etc. Shame they can't track down 'that' bike.

+1 to that. Irrespective of whether it can or can't be done there would be no wriggle room for anyone caught using it. What would happen in a crash if the tubes broke? The easy solution would be to ban anyone associated with cheating in this way (rider, mechanics, DS) from cycling for life as there would be no defence or any cause for reasonable doubt.

I can totally see how they'd do it...nobody would check.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    But where's the button to start and stop it? is it tied into Di2.

The day someone shows up with a Di2 battery the size of a pint glass might get the UCI scratching their heads.

Great rules we have in cycling: you can micro dose on EPO and blood boosting with impunitiy and hide a motor in your downtube, but never, ever, get someone else to work the bellows for you. That'll cost you the tour.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    The bike in the Cassani vid was a Cervelo as far as I could see (apols if this is old news in the thread).
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    I find it VERY hard to believe that a tiny motor like that can actually propell a 150+ lb rider (and a bike) forward at anywhere near even 20km/hr.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    ProBiker wrote:

If you are going to quote sensational statements like this - at least acknowledge the source is from a spoof website - or people will believe you.

Full and obviously spoof article here : http://www.atwistedspoke.com/2010/06/01 ... ecialized/
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Dave_1 wrote:
    calvjones wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Already been done

cheers,...its a helluva kick...Cav level stuff

No it's not.

And I think they've overestimated the acceleration in that cozybeehive blog as it's clear the front four riders are decelerating. That's what makes it look impressive - the Boonen group feeding and the front four soft-pedalling as they watch (and let) Cancellara speed into the distance.
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    How is this still going?
    Roll on Spartacus!
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    From previous Telegraph article :-

'Pat McQuaid, UCI president, has said he is “studying the situation” and has contacted Cassani.'

If this is true, his position and credibility on the UCI really does have to be questioned!!

Think that McQuaid should really seriously consider doing something else now. Why is he suddenly so keen to study this when he wouldn't even consider the Landis statement initially?