Cancellara Caught??

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Cancellara speaks:

“It is so crazy that I don’t have words for it,” he told Het Nieuwsblad. “I don’t want to speak too much about this and dwell on a story that’s so stupid. I have never had batteries on my bike. [Besides,] that must produce noise?”

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4387/ ... issue.aspx
    Contador is the Greatest
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    Cancellara speaks:

“It is so crazy that I don’t have words for it,” he told Het Nieuwsblad. “I don’t want to speak too much about this and dwell on a story that’s so stupid. I have never had batteries on my bike. [Besides,] that must produce noise?”

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4387/ ... issue.aspx

see! hes admitted it!!
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Langman
    Langman Posts: 178
    I thought this whole thing was a joke when I first heard about it and I still think it is - but the video is pretty convicing and cyclists and teams will do anything to win....... anew way of cheating that's all cycling needs!
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Cyclismag have compared various riders times up the steepest part of the Muur - they estimate Cancellara about 5" quicker than his nearest rival. Does that suggest motodoping? http://www.cyclismag.com/article.php?sid=5844#ancre1
  • ProBiker
    ProBiker Posts: 74
    I just noticed when I saw a replay of 'the bike change'

When cancellara gives the mechanic the bike he grabs the crank arm stright away and then awkwardly picks the bike up by the crank (when he sees that he is being filmed.)

Making sure the cranks don't start turning by themselves??

http://velorunner.blogspot.com/2010/04/ ... hange.html
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited June 2010
    ProBiker wrote:

When cancellara gives the mechanic the bike he grabs the crank arm stright away and then awkwardly picks the bike up by the crank (when he sees that he is being filmed.)

For a start, the person he first gives the bike to is a Rabobank soigneur, not his mechanic. Then the second person (presumably a Saxo mechanic) doesn't grab the crank at all. No cranks are turning except the ones powering your imagination.

Besides, isn't it meant to be the second bike with the motor, not the first?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,819
    ProBiker wrote:

4660767757_a641a836f4.jpg[/img]
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    RichN95 wrote:
    ProBiker wrote:

For a start, the person he first gives the bike to is a Rabobank soigneur, not his mechanic. Then the second person (presumably a Saxo mechanic) doesn't grab the crank at all. No cranks are turning except the ones powering your imagination.

Wasn't it Donald Rumsfeld who said "When you're in a hole, stop digging" ?

:D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • RichN95.
    I've just flicked thorough the TV channels. On Bravo +1

10.00 Bizarre Sports Science
    11.00 Spartacus: Blood and Sand

(really)

It's a sign! I'm convinced now.
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    ProBiker wrote:

happy0071.gif
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 560
    DaveyL wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    ProBiker wrote:

Wasn't it Donald Rumsfeld who said "When you're in a hole, stop digging" ?

:D

Nope, He said " there are known knowns and unknown knowns. Whatsort of known is this - who knows
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    RichN95 wrote:
    ProBiker wrote:

Also wouldn't it be hard to stop this powerful motor just by holding the cranks if it was capable of what you're suggesting?
  • ProBiker
    ProBiker Posts: 74
    MrChuck wrote:
    Also wouldn't it be hard to stop this powerful motor just by holding the cranks if it was capable of what you're suggesting?

I don't think so because the motor has a freewheel mechanism built into it so when you stop pedalling the motor wouldn't drag your feet around. Without a rider it would pedal by itself because of the small inertia/resistance in the freewheel so you would need your hand just to stop it going round.
  • Nicoppi
    Nicoppi Posts: 11
    Not exactly a scientific test and it would have been better to match Pro v Pro to see what the motor could achieve. Also can't really tell how noisy it is with the irritating music, fun though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHU7qBZSsfk
  • msw
    msw Posts: 313

Magnificent!. "You gotta think like the UCI does..."
    "We're not holding up traffic. We are traffic."
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,819
    msw wrote:

Magnificent!. "You gotta think like the UCI does..."

one of the three Hobos is Pat McQuaid
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    mididoctors, that is true class.
  • sampurnell
    sampurnell Posts: 126
    Im completely on the fence with this.
    on the hill he clearly destroys a weaker rider, there is no doubt in my mind that belgie was faultering and sparticus opened the taps.

but no matter how many times i watch that acceleration on the flat i cant see any cadence change at all, whether quicker in a small accelerating gear, or slower to signify a big jump in gear.
    when he is clear i have no doubt he is strong enough to stay away because of his tt ability, but that acceleration is amazing.

does anyone know if his HRM data would be published like Garmin did in the TDF last year? that would settle it for me - even a rider as good as he is would show a change for that kind of effort...
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    I just can't see that they'd risk cheating like this. If you got caught there's no way to deny it or say it was just the rider, or a spiked bidon or whatever. On the otherhand I think it's completely plausible that the technology exists despite all the rubbish on here about the size of the battery or the noise etc. Shame they can't track down 'that' bike.
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    sampurnell wrote:
    but no matter how many times i watch that acceleration on the flat i cant see any cadence change at all, whether quicker in a small accelerating gear, or slower to signify a big jump in gear.
    when he is clear i have no doubt he is strong enough to stay away because of his tt ability, but that acceleration is amazing.

What makes the attack so strange looking is that it's done in the saddle in an effortlesslooking manner, but that's Cancellara for you. And his cadence does increase.

Here's a great analysis:-

http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2010/06 ... ttack.html

Pretty funny that this has run for so long....
  • msw
    msw Posts: 313
    sampurnell wrote:

Gnah! This cadence thing is a complete red herring. EVEN IF THERE WAS A MOTOR (which there isn't) the cadence would increase when he accelerated, because the rear wheel's still driven by the chain. All the hypothetical implementations of this hypothetical thing deliver power to the bottom bracket, not to the rear hub, so there's no way the motor can accelerate the bike without turning the cranks faster.

[EDIT: ...unless the rider changes gear, obviously]
    "We're not holding up traffic. We are traffic."
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 560
    I know they dont xray bikes but do the uci not weight bikes at the start? The batteries and kit to perform this form of cheating would be quite heavy and very noticable.
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • stokepa31 wrote:
    I know they don't xray bikes but do the uci not weight bikes at the start? The batteries and kit to perform this form of cheating would be quite heavy and very noticeable.

Two issues:

1) They're looking for underweight bikes; ones over the weight limit might arouse suspicion but aren't illegal
    2) A lot of bikes have to be ballasted to bring them up to 6.8kg - if you look at the Cervelo R5Ca article there is a bit about how they needed to put two chains & a weight down the seat tube to bring it up to 6.8kg; also Astana (among others) have custom weights that go in the hollow crank axle.

If the ballast is omitted, I don't think the bike would necessarily be that overweight.

Andy
  • inseine
    Surely it's not a matter of 'could they' because i'm sure they could, but rather 'would they' because no matter how rife doping is in the sport I just can't imagine anyone would take such a risk to cheat in this way
  • petejuk
    petejuk Posts: 235
    inseine wrote:
    Surely it's not a matter of 'could they' because i'm sure they could, but rather 'would they' because no matter how rife doping is in the sport I just can't imagine anyone would take such a risk to cheat in this way

Why? Some riders put themselves at a considerable health risk by blood doping. Early unexplained deaths of some pros could be down to doping..... Tom Simpson?
    I would say that, if this is possible and advantageous then bike doping is far more beneficial and less risky.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    rdt wrote:
    Here's a great analysis:-

http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2010/06 ... ttack.html

Pretty funny that this has run for so long....

That is pretty damn impressive. That guy, once gain, shows intellectual ability and originality.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    inseine wrote:

LOL - now THAT is a good one...

Yeah far more likely to stick with the safe methods like turning your blood into syrup with so many red blood cells and having to set the alarm thru the night so you wake up and exercise to keep it moving. I prefer that.
  • inseine
    I would say that, if this is possible and advantageous then bike doping is far more beneficial and less risky.

I just think that it's easy to convince yourself that everyone is up to it so a few pills (in Simpsons case) doesn't really make you a cheat, plus you don't need an army of people in the know to dope whereas this really needs to be a team effort and if you get caught there's no way you could wriggle out it. Might be completely wrong of course.
  • RichN95.
    cougie wrote:
    inseine wrote:

LOL - now THAT is a good one...

Yeah far more likely to stick with the safe methods like turning your blood into syrup with so many red blood cells and having to set the alarm thru the night so you wake up and exercise to keep it moving. I prefer that.

Different types of risk. I think he means risk as in risk of being caught, not risk to health. No-one can tell if you're doping just by looking at you and holding you, but you can easily tell if a bike is motorized that way.
  • inseine
    Different types of risk. I think he means risk as in risk of being caught, not risk to health. No-one can tell if you're doping just by looking at you and holding you, but you can easily tell if a bike is motorized that way.

Yeah, that's what i meant. There are plenty of athletes out there willing ot risk their health for success. Hell, riding a 3 week Tour is hardly good for your long term wellbeing.
    I just like to think these guys have some morals.................. :roll: