Cancellara Caught??

ProBiker
ProBiker Posts: 74
edited June 2010 in Pro race

Comments

• timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    In Roubaix it was a gear change and guy behind him flatted.

This stuff cracks me up. Did you hear the noise the model made? How could anyone hide that.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • ProBiker
    Timoid. wrote:
    Did you hear the noise the model made? How could anyone hide that.

No mate, that one is the standard version. Very noisy and you need a huge battery pack behind the seatpost.

The pro (Cancellara's) version is almost silent and the batteries are placed in the seat tube!!

Makes you think.......
  • andyxm
    andyxm Posts: 132
    Seems like bs to me, on both occasions he appears to change gear before accelerating, as you would. The other thing is that the motor and battery are clearly fairly small and lightweight, would they realistically add sufficient power to the system given all the inefficiencies?
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    edited May 2010
    What's more depressing?
    Every cyclist is a cheat (apparently), or England losing to Japan?
    I'm taking up cricket, well at least until the Ashes
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    that proves it, he should be banned for life.

it would be interesting to see what, if any, scrutiny bikes are put under immediately after races
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ProBiker
    andyxm wrote:
    Seems like bs to me, on both occasions he appears to change gear before accelerating, as you would. The other thing is that the motor and battery are clearly fairly small and lightweight, would they realistically add sufficient power to the system given all the inefficiencies?

Definately Andy, it's supposed to give you an extra 100W (for 30-45mins) which is a huge amount at the end of a 160 mile race.

The UCI tech chiefs are apparently taking it really seriously .....

" Marco Bognetti, a previous member of the material commissions and consultant to Jean Wauthier, the current head of the materials unit at the UCI, spoke with a little more urgency.

"It's all true, there’s a suspicion that there are teams and riders who used a 'pedal-assisted' bike,” he told L'Avvenire. “We were first told about it last July, during the Tour de France. We first heard about it from the USA and it set alarm bells ringing."

He elaborated on this to Il Giornale. "We've discovered that it could save a rider between 60 and 100 watts, which is an enormous advantage in the finale of a race. Checks are under way, others are planned. Our technicians are working on a special scanner that will discover the hidden motors inside the frames. All the bikes at the major races will soon be checked."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-den ... sed-doping
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    ProBiker wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    Did you hear the noise the model made? How could anyone hide that.

No mate, that one is the standard version. Very noisy and you need a huge battery pack behind the seatpost.

The pro (Cancellara's) version is almost silent and the batteries are placed in the seat tube!!

Makes you think.......

of course the skunk workx model none of us have ever seen...makes sense now
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Good god! Are there still people who believe this nonsense?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    rjh299 wrote:
    What's more depressing?
    Every cyclist is a cheat (apparently), or England losing to Japan?
    I'm taking up cricket, well at least until the Ashes

Depends whether you're English or not.

Plus what Rich said.
  • BenWatson89
    BenWatson89 Posts: 83
    Just a few points to add here,

There were gear changes in both attacks. He is also a much better climber than Boonen as well as being one of the best flatland riders in the world and the worlds best time trialist so 50kms out in Roubaix is totally doable when no body got together and organised to chase. Boonens position was rubbish in Roubaix, he was at the back of the group having a drink of coke (make your own jokes here but I am on about the soft drink..) and so had no chance to react.

Why do people want to see problems in something that was hugely impressive! Its BS.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570

There were gear changes in both attacks. He is also a much better climber than Boonen as well as being one of the best flatland riders in the world and the worlds best time trialist so 50kms out in Roubaix is totally doable when no body got together and organised to chase. Boonens position was rubbish in Roubaix, he was at the back of the group having a drink of coke (make your own jokes here but I am on about the soft drink..) and so had no chance to react.

Why do people want to see problems in something that was hugely impressive! Its BS.

ok fabian we believe you
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    There were gear changes in both attacks.

Now I'm open minded here, but why if there were gear changes in both attacks, did the cadence not change at all as he changed gear?
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Is his current bike a rebadged one of these ?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • RichN95.
    gsk82 wrote:

ok fabian we believe you

OK, seeing as you seem to believe in this nonsense, three questions for you about that video (the Italian TV segment).

1. Pause the video at 0.57. What's going on with those 'bidons'? Why have they got electrical connectors on them and wires coming out of them? Could they be the invisible battery packs?

2. We can here the whirring of the wheel going round. How is this possible when there is no microphone?

3. Why do they never show us the whole bike, just close ups?
  • sods_law
    sods_law Posts: 161
    RichN95 wrote:
    Good god! Are there still people who believe this nonsense?

+1. Seems a little bit too far fetched to me. I will wait to be proved wrong.

Really isnt very hard to sit in the saddle and push your speed up quickly. Cancellara has legs the size of trees, so really cant see where the issue is?
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    It's probably BS in this case but when you think what people are willing to do to dope to win races then why wouldn't you use one of these ? They've definitely got to take it seriously because it looks like the technology is good enough for this to work - and I know if I was a rider looking to cheat I'd rather stick a motor on my bike than inject epo on a regular basis.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • RichN95.
    It's probably BS in this case but when you think what people are willing to do to dope to win races then why wouldn't you use one of these ? They've definitely got to take it seriously because it looks like the technology is good enough for this to work - and I know if I was a rider looking to cheat I'd rather stick a motor on my bike than inject epo on a regular basis.

But the technology isn't there. The motors are noisy and the batteries are too big to hide.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    RichN95 wrote:

But the technology isn't there. The motors are noisy and the batteries are too big to hide.

And Cassani and the other fella are about to burst out laughing when the camera cuts away.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I'm in two minds about this!

It sounds completely ridiculous, most electric bikes I have seen have been, loud, noisy, heavy and have had stupid looking battery packs on them.

However, those bikes aren't (generally) designed to provide shorts bursts of power, but rather, a way for lazy fat people to get "exercise", furthermore, they are generally cheap.

Furthermore, a pro peleton isn't exactly quiet, what with the helicopter above, the amount of cheering, plus the motorbikes.

So, an expensive quieter motor, with enough electrical energy stores to be used for about a minute overall (enough to get a bit of help breaking away) is perhaps more feasible than the whole mechanical doping seems at first.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • andyxm
    andyxm Posts: 132
    Fab's performances in Paris Roubaix and the Ronde weren't exactly out of the ordinary for him either, he rode away from a TdF bunch to claim a win a few years ago, rode away from the peleton to win Milan San Remo, is reigning TT world and Olympic champion. If he is using a motor, his performances suggest he's had it for a good few years already.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Aren't we all missing the point here. Where can I get one?
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    RichN95 wrote:

The technology is there - maybe not quiet enough to use it in an amateur race but in the finale of Flanders or Paris Roubaix that noise wouldn't be heard - and the batteries are not too big to hide you can see that by spending 5 minutes on google.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • RichN95.

The technology is there - maybe not quiet enough to use it in an amateur race but in the finale of Flanders or Paris Roubaix that noise wouldn't be heard - and the batteries are not too big to hide you can see that by spending 5 minutes on google.

Go on then. Show me an example of one of these batteries.

If the technology existed, there would be patents for it. But there aren't any.
  • ProBiker
    RichN95 wrote:

Go on then. Show me an example of one of these batteries.

If the technology existed, there would be patents for it. But there aren't any.

Here you go........

http://www.gruberassist.com/
  • ProBiker
    Also, Why it so impossible to make a battery long and thin to slide down a 31mm seat tube??

It's a very easy adaption to make and you could easily insulate the motor for excess noise......
  • RichN95.
    edited May 2010
    ProBiker wrote:

Here you go........

...which is really noisy (it's shown in the middle section of the video at the beginning of this thread) had has a big battery in a saddle bag. Patent no EP1878650 if you want to read more.

If making the motor quiet and hiding the battery is easily done - why has no-one actually done it.

PS Magic beans - want to buy some? Davide Cassani will vouch for them, while barely suppressing a smirk.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Aren't we all missing the point here. Where can I get one?

I'll only tell you if you promise not to use it at any race I'm taking part in :wink:
  • ProBiker
    RichN95 wrote:
    ProBiker wrote:

Here you go........

...which is really noisy (it's shown in the middle section of the video at the beginning of this thread) had has a big battery in a saddle bag. Patent no EP1878650 if you want to read more.

If it's making the motor quiet and hiding the battery is easily done - why has no-one actually done it.

PS Magic beans - want to buy some?

Thats the whole point, somebody has :roll:

It serves no commercial purpose to adapt the battery and make simple noise insulation to the motor because it isn't specifically designed for cheating.

But with a little knowhow and a decent drill..........
  • italiafirenze
    italiafirenze Posts: 132
    I must have missed the enormous saddlebag Spartacus was using at Paris-Roubaix and Flanders.
  • RichN95.
    ProBiker wrote:

Thats the whole point, somebody has :roll:

It serves no commercial purpose to adapt the battery and make simple noise insulation to the motor because it isn't specifically designed for cheating.

But with a little knowhow and a decent drill..........

No they haven't. There are no patents. And if you think there is no commercial purpose in a quieter and more aesthetic bike, then you're beyond reasoning with.