TFL Cycle Challenge - Team SCR??

Comments

• stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    WTF is wrong with you all only 1st place will do, have you learnt nothing from the SCR stats???

You have holiday right? well June would be a good time to take it, perhaps a LEJOG or London to Paris and back :roll:

I'm off to Regent's park ... to er enjoy the sunshine :roll:

I'm sure we'll improve once we're not carrying nearly 20 people

Just cause I went out at lunch to do 17 miles doesn't mean you can slack off

I'm a mere 25th out of 49...I'm not going to let it stay that way. At least another 70 or so miles this week, for one thing.......
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    kelsen wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    just upped my stats for the day, sorry lads i let you down. only the 57 miles :(

Nothing to be sorry about. That's 57 more than some.
    yeah but i promised 60
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    spasypaddy wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    just upped my stats for the day, sorry lads i let you down. only the 57 miles :(

yeah but i promised 60

Then MTFU! Get your arse outside right now and cycle round the block a few times! :wink:
  • spasypaddy
    kelsen wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

yeah but i promised 60

Then MTFU! Get your arse outside right now and cycle round the block a few times! :wink:
    :lol:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Bassjunkieuk

When, not if, we win the team prize for our membership number how are we going to split the prize money?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I had an idea earlier about having team scr jerseys done, no idea if it's a good one or not. Just to rub peoples faces in it when we are out and about on our bikes...
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Paul E wrote:
    I had an idea earlier about having team scr jerseys done, no idea if it's a good one or not. Just to rub peoples faces in it when we are out and about on our bikes...

Something for the prize money perhaps?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Paul E
    redvee wrote:
    Paul E wrote:

Something for the prize money perhaps?

Even if it just covers the printing of the team name on, I would be up for that...
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    redvee wrote:
    Bassjunkieuk

When, not if, we win the team prize for our membership number how are we going to split the prize money?

The prize itself it listed as a £150 Leisure Experience. Not quite sure what this could be used for but if/when we win I guess that can be looked into and a group decision made. As we have quite a few members now and not all of them strictly from London I would hope to include as many people as possible as at the end of the day it is a team effort.

Off the top of my head if we are going for something cycling centric maybe hiring a velodrome for a day or something as simple as money behind a bar somewhere :-)

Also I'm assuming from some of the comments that the link for the stats worked? If so I'll add that to the first post to make it easier to find?
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I have to say I think any expectations of winning should be dispelled immediately. Large corporations use this as a form of marketing and have a vested interest in winning. I'm not going to use a certain word beginning with c, but I'm led to believe it's widespread.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    BBC team stats... Not likely to beat that.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Rich158 wrote:
    I have to say I think any expectations of winning should be dispelled immediately. Large corporations use this as a form of marketing and have a vested interest in winning. I'm not going to use a certain word beginning with c, but I'm led to believe it's widespread.

I'm sat in the offices of the team that's currently 'winning'. They couldn't organise a pish up in a brewery, nevermind a convincing attempt to cheat. They just want to beat Sky.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Bassjunkieuk
    BBC team stats... Not likely to beat that.

Granted yes but they are in the 100+ team members which puts them with at least twice as many members as us, if we could scrap together another 51 members contributing the same mileage as we have at present we'd be in with a fighting chance as they do have approx twice our mileage :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • asprilla
    Twice the mileage but nearly seven times the members, and we are still carrying some.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Rich158 wrote:

I think fraud is more the word commonly used these days and paid for so to speak...

Personally I think any cash won should go behind the bar at the summer drinks. That or if there's one thing I think a royal rumble would be the fairest way to decide.

My legs are toast, but I want that elite badge before monday
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • BBC team stats... Not likely to beat that.

Granted yes but they are in the 100+ team members which puts them with at least twice as many members as us, if we could scrap together another 51 members contributing the same mileage as we have at present we'd be in with a fighting chance as they do have approx twice our mileage :-)

The BBC have 329 members. I cannot see SCR competing with that. Best we can do is have the highest number of Elite badges, best average, etc
  • spasypaddy
    that elite badge is it for the whole month or is it done off the weekly stats?

if its off the whole month i cant see any reason why the majority of our riders wont have it
  • Bassjunkieuk
    spasypaddy wrote:
    that elite badge is it for the whole month or is it done off the weekly stats?

if its off the whole month i cant see any reason why the majority of our riders wont have it

Guess we'll have to see come next week, but as you say 250 miles over the course of a month isn't exactly difficult for a cycle commuter :-)

Maybe TFL didn't realize how much mileage some people do or they could introduce a cycling GOD badge for 500+ miles

**Edit**

Stats link now on my first post for this thread :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Rich158
    Asprilla wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:

I'm sat in the offices of the team that's currently 'winning'. They couldn't organise a pish up in a brewery, nevermind a convincing attempt to cheat. They just want to beat Sky.

Don't underestmate the power of corporate marketing. Those corporations who stand to gain most from promoting themselves as cycling or TFL friendly will always win. F*** the little man who's just doing it for a bit of fun when there's money to be made!!!!!
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • asprilla
    Rich158 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:

Don't underestmate the power of corporate marketing. Those corporations who stand to gain most from promoting themselves as cycling or TFL friendly will always win. F*** the little man who's just doing it for a bit of fun when there's money to be made!!!!!

Don't over estimate it either. There isn't any money to be made for the BBC and it's been organised by the Cycle Shed forum on their intranet, which oddly enough is used by cyclists at the BBC to campaign for better facilities and treatment from the corporation.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Rich158 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:

Are you suggesting there is some electronic doping going on? :shock:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Rich158
    Asprilla wrote:
    Don't over estimate it either. There isn't any money to be made for the BBC and it's been organised by the Cycle Shed forum on their intranet, which oddly enough is used by cyclists at the BBC to campaign for better facilities and treatment from the corporation.

Maybe I'm just being cynical. It isn't about money but the exposure and the publicity to be gained from portraying their organisation to be cycle friendly and sustainable. It's the sort of thing that makes great reading in newsletters etc that gets sent to clients, and can then be included in bid documents to back up any claims made.

We're getting a huge amount of publicity through this in my place, photo's, interviews etc with the local council run rag as the only organisation in Greenwich taking part. It's being used to back up our rather tenuous claims of being a very sustainable organisation. No ones noticed that the University of Greenwich has a much larger team, or questioned that only two of the team registered actually commute by bike on a regular basis.

Revised FCN - 2
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Guess we'll have to see come next week, but as you say 250 miles over the course of a month isn't exactly difficult for a cycle commuter :-)

Maybe TFL didn't realize how much mileage some people do or they could introduce a cycling GOD badge for 500+ miles
    They should have. On last year's challenge I clocked 700 miles and I only had the 6th highest total in our team. (slacking this year though, currently only done 85 this week).
    Rich158 wrote:
    We're getting a huge amount of publicity through this in my place, photo's, interviews etc with the local council run rag as the only organisation in Greenwich taking part. It's being used to back up our rather tenuous claims of being a very sustainable organisation.
    Really? Good for you making the most of it. We won the challenge in our category in 2007 but nobody seemed to bat an eyelid, didn't even make the company newsletter. We all treated it as a load of fun and sillyness. Having said that, the certificates are still proudly displayed in the reception of our head office.
    Rich158 wrote:
    No ones noticed that the University of Greenwich has a much larger team, or questioned that only two of the team registered actually commute by bike on a regular basis.
    I'm all for the event getting new people out on bikes. I used it to convince another person in our office to try riding in and he added his 3 miles a day to our total but he kept on riding after the challenge finished until the weather started turning nasty.
    If you think there's something fishy going on then email the organisers. They removed the 1000000 miles that some clown logged the other day for his team, if you're going to cheat at least be discreet about it :roll:
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Rock on! 2612 miles :-)

YACF is about 800 miles behind but a new kid on the block from John Lewis head office has rocked up the table with 1.5K miles.......

The LSE seem to have been sleeping, will be difficult for them to "keep an eye on us" from that far behind :twisted:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • OldSkoolKona
    OldSkoolKona Posts: 655
    Ok, we're live - caught up with this week's miles - a few long ones planned :-)

(shame it hadn't been over May though :-()
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    19.82 miles rounding up to 20.
  • Paul E
    Just added my 33 for today, more than my normal commute as I was off so decided to go see a mate and happened to use my bike.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I'll be wading in soon, 146 miles this week, 26+ tomorrow, 85 per week commute from monday. Every little helps!
  • spasypaddy
    a paltry 25miles today. next week i shall be lapping regents park in the evenings to get my mileage in for this
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    I've only done 55 miles so far. I'll get some mileage in over the weekend, past the ton....n+1 hopefully up and running Wednesday, another ton or so next week. And the following week, on leave, despite a midweek break in Warsaw (and no, I'm not biking while I'm there! :D) going to aim for 200.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011