Coaching - Now I have no excuse!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Crikey!

MrsNapD asked me if I have been taking steroids today.

That must be a good testament to my improvements! :o

Or my knob and balls have shrunk. :cry:
  • Anonymous
    Shocked myself tonight.

Raced last night, got shelled after 15 miles.

Thought I was going to be shite in the Club 10 TT tonight.

Result - Power almost 30watts better than my last previous best! Another 20s off my PB and beat a couple of lads who I've never beaten before...

24.12, soon be under 24 :D

Nutrition is helping recovery loads, training plan obviously working...

Average Power was 297watts (302 Normalised) for the TT, previous best was last week at 270...
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    Looks like you're going from strength to strength at the moment (literally!)

just shows that money can be better spent on training than bike bling! I've also seen better progress since starting my coaching plan 3 weeks ago than the previous 5 months.....just need to sort the nutrition out now :)
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    sagalout wrote:
    Looks like you're going from strength to strength at the moment (literally!)

just shows that money can be better spent on training than bike bling! I've also seen better progress since starting my coaching plan 3 weeks ago than the previous 5 months.....just need to sort the nutrition out now :)

+1 :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I'm not doubting your power improvements (very impressive BTW) but you will get better at TTs just from riding more and pacing yourself and i think you'll make the breakthrough in roads races soon aswell.
    Many (many!) years ago I got stuck doing 24s and it was suggested I try riding fixed and in my first event, on the same course, I managed a 22 and after that I was always doing that sort of time, like I broken through a mental as much as physical barrier.
    With your power you should soon being much faster still, so good luck.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Is that on the TT bike Nap, or the road bike?
  • Anonymous
    SBezza wrote:
    Is that on the TT bike Nap, or the road bike?

TT bike.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Get a faster course and you will probably get in the 22 min mark. Might have to try your local course when I am in Crewe next.

What course is it?
  • Anonymous
    inseine wrote:
    I'm not doubting your power improvements (very impressive BTW) but you will get better at TTs just from riding more and pacing yourself and i think you'll make the breakthrough in roads races soon aswell.
    Many (many!) years ago I got stuck doing 24s and it was suggested I try riding fixed and in my first event, on the same course, I managed a 22 and after that I was always doing that sort of time, like I broken through a mental as much as physical barrier.
    With your power you should soon being much faster still, so good luck.

Pacing is an interesting one as I was pacing myself off power, however last night my cadence was about 10rpm less than last week. Looking at the two graphs (smoothed slightly) shows less variability, lower peaks but shallower troughs when going up/downhill.

This may well be due to to the fact that using a bigger gear last night, I was still able to put power down on the downhills and I grind over the ups... More steady...

It was a slower night last night too, I went faster than several people who normally beat my by quite a bit.

See!

Red is HR, yellow power
    The red dotted line is my threshold HR of 170.

Last week (avg 270watts cadence 90) Temp 21 deg C. Dry.

TT190510.jpg

Yesterday (avg 297watts cadence 80) Temp 12 deg C. Wet. (Greasy too!)

TT260510.jpg
  • Anonymous
    SBezza wrote:
    Get a faster course and you will probably get in the 22 min mark. Might have to try your local course when I am in Crewe next.

What course is it?

JC/5

TTCourse.jpg

Would be great to see you in action again!

I have no other experiences of other 10 courses, some suggest this is fairly slow, others that it is fast due to a downhill start that you don't climb again. I find it hard to get into a rhythm though.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Your ride last night was far less "spikey" in power terms than the week before (ie better paced)
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    NapoleonD wrote:
    JC/5

TTCourse.jpg

Would be great to see you in action again!

I have no other experiences of other 10 courses, some suggest this is fairly slow, others that it is fast due to a downhill start that you don't climb again. I find it hard to get into a rhythm though.

Blimey, they ride that as a TT course? I've driven it loads of times as I have friends in Macc, but never ridden on it. Seems like a bit of a racetrack for cars, but I guess the lanes are pretty wide, mostly.

Every time I ride up there I confine myself to a loop up the Cat & Fiddle, down into Buxton, up Long Hill, down into Whaley Bridge and back via the Rainow Road. That's plenty for me :D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Anonymous
    Bronzie wrote:
    Your ride last night was far less "spikey" in power terms than the week before (ie better paced)

It was (I did say that myself!).
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Sorry, just read the Landis thread and currently seeing double
  • DaveyL
    NapoleonD, have you got the Variability Index for both rides?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Anonymous
    I'll post them when I get home from work Davey, a fair bit higher on the first just by looking at it...
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    I find all this scientific analysis more of a hindrance to training than a help.Takes up too much time and would make my brain hurt.

I do believe Alf Engers had a coach of some sort though.

Apparently he advised him to :

Eat less of these :

1798909588_9ec943e4db.jpg

And do more of this:

time-trials15.jpg

Apparently the advice worked.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    sturmey wrote:
    I find all this scientific analysis more of a hindrance to training than a help.Takes up too much time and would make my brain hurt.

I do believe Alf Engers had a coach of some sort though.

Apparently he advised him to :

Eat less of these :

1798909588_9ec943e4db.jpg

And do more of this:

time-trials15.jpg

Apparently the advice worked.

And you must drill out everything that can be drilled. Is it my imagination or did he drill out the brake hoods? THAT I have NEVER seen before.
  • sturmey
    Think he did yeah.
    Notice how his seatpost is lightened too.
    It's actually a corn on the cob he's just eaten.
    Much lighter than the Campag offerings of the day.
  • Anonymous
    DaveyL

1st VI - 1.025
    2nd VI - 1.02

Not much difference at all really!
  • DaveyL
    Not bad!

I did one TT last August and the VI was 1.02. It wasn't pan flat, more rolling, so I was quite pleased with the pacing. The PM does really cut the learning curve down a bit....
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Anonymous
    I find it a real struggle to get a rhythm on this course, here is the profile.

TTProfile.jpg
  • DaveyL
    Yeah, it's certainly not a flat road.

Are there any problems with traffic at that time of day? Is it quite busy?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Anonymous
    DaveyL wrote:
    Yeah, it's certainly not a flat road.

Are there any problems with traffic at that time of day? Is it quite busy?

No, it's not too bad at all tbh. Hope there are more lorries going my way next week, that'll help get the time down!
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    sounds great that nap! i would get a coach for myself if i could afford it and i knew one which was local too me!
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    sturmey wrote:
    Think he did yeah.
    Notice how his seatpost is lightened too.
    It's actually a corn on the cob he's just eaten.
    Much lighter than the Campag offerings of the day.

What's with that seat post? Can't make out what has been done to it or not done to it.
  • sturmey
    What's with that seat post? Can't make out what has been done to it or not done to it.

Looks a bit like one of these:

LN4235.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Some before and after pics now on my blog... :shock:

(Before was from before I started cycling in 2007.

I've lost over 4 stone!
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    Nap that is seriously impressive, well done.

I wish i had the motivation to do this i need to lose 15-20 Kg but really suffer with lack of motivation. Think i might try your nutritionist out and see if i can get a decent training plan for the winter ready for next years club TT's. This year just aiming for a 30 min 10, still got 4 mins to shave of.

Well done again mate.
  • Anonymous
    Cheers mate.

I was almost laughing climbing a particular hill a couple of days ago as I was so much faster than I was even 8 weeks ago at a set heart rate.

It'll come, you get really fast results with Barry's plan (I bl00dy well have anyway!)...

May be worth having a word with Adrian Timmis at www.cadencesport.co.uk as winter approaches, he does a 12 week plan for a set price that would be ideal.