Coaching - Now I have no excuse!

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Hi Jeff. I think my position is pretty decent for a relative beginner, don't have any pics though. I am very big though, 194 cm (6 ft 4.5) and was about 114 kg when that TT took place. Having a PM really shows the effect of weight, as you see your power go shooting up on even the slightest of inclines. If I could get down to about even 100 kg I'd be fairly decent.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    114kg is going to slow you down, yes. I'm sure you're well aware of the numbers but getting to 100kg would take you from 2.9W/kg -> 3.3W/kg. Big difference! It's worth it.

A regular training partner of mine raced a lot of last season between 87-93kg, same height as me (6'0) and a bit more power, but pretty aero for his size. On hilly courses I had a 20kg advantage on him so would put several minutes into him. In a flat 10 it'd be more like seconds.

This year he's down to 83kg, is putting out more power, is naturally more aero and has leapfrogged a lot of people, even on hillyish courses (he'd do me on the flat I'm sure). It's a huge turnaround but he's worked hard for it.

So for all the bigger riders on this thread, there's hope :)
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • DaveyL
    Yep, it's gonna take some time though!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    I've done 21'12 on our flat but slow (dead roads) club course on 335W (normalised), which worked out as 4.85W/kg. Another 13W got me a 19'45 on the V718 (supposedly an average day, but a very fast course).

4.7W/kg got me 24:52 on P881 on my road bike with no aero gear. Taking my P3 SL out on P613 next saturday so hoping to get down to somewhere near those numbers, but I really doubt It'll get me as fast as those times! Your position is still pretty good I believe Jeff.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    Jeff Jones wrote:

Position is important. Anyone (NapD, DaveyL, nmcgann, Bueller?) got any racing pics of themselves they could post/link to?

go on - I'm game for a bit of postion tweaking. Photo taken 2 weeks ago on second lap of a hilly 23. The meteor helmet is new this season, I must see about getting it closer to my back - looks unaero to me, though could just have been head position at the time. I think it needs to rotate back a bit.

Anyhow - position has not been tweaked for a while and in terms of standard distance saw me get a 21'12 in a 10 last season (levens) and a 56'26 25 (M2510). Last season was first at tt'ing though have road raced for a few years). I usually finish between 6th and 10th in most Open north eastern events.
    FTP on my road bike is 290.

Oh - weight is around 73kg, 5'9 tall

Fill yer boots with constructive positional advice - especially Jeff who is a bit brisk himself.

p4pb4866286.jpg
  • Jeff Jones
    jibberjim wrote:
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    I've done 21'12 on our flat but slow (dead roads) club course on 335W (normalised), which worked out as 4.85W/kg. Another 13W got me a 19'45 on the V718 (supposedly an average day, but a very fast course).

4.7W/kg got me 24:52 on P881 on my road bike with no aero gear. Taking my P3 SL out on P613 next saturday so hoping to get down to somewhere near those numbers, but I really doubt It'll get me as fast as those times! Your position is still pretty good I believe Jeff.
    Hmm, isn't the P881 pretty quick? (national 10 a couple of years ago?). Good luck on Saturday, be interested to see the difference in your times.

The best I've done on a road bike with no aero stuff on my club course was 23'20, I'm guessing also around 4.85W/kg but I didn't have a power meter at the time.

Oh well, I'll count my blessings that I'm thin!
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    Hmm, isn't the P881 pretty quick? (national 10 a couple of years ago?). Good luck on Saturday, be interested to see the difference in your times.

The best I've done on a road bike with no aero stuff on my club course was 23'20, I'm guessing also around 4.85W/kg but I didn't have a power meter at the time.

Oh well, I'll count my blessings that I'm thin!

I'm actually quite narrow shouldered too, so I should be able to get pretty good. P881 is quick, although it wasn't a super quick day, with the same kit and power I did 25:07 or so on G42/10 which is a much slower course. My CdA on the RS is only around 0.39 or so, which is the big problem. Hopefully I can get down to 0.25 or less on the TT bike, I'll be spending some time with aerolab sometime this year.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Jeff Jones
    New topic started for TT position: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... p=16084965

JibberJim: 0.39 CdA does explain it!
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    How tall are you Neil? That sounds high to just average 25mph (assume you're on a TT bike on a reasonably good course)

Just over 6ft 1in, 11st-ish. My avatar on a thread on the TT board has a pic of me racing http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/ind ... =44329&hl=

I don't look particularly un-aero, but I am. I've narrowed my elbows a bit over the winter, I don't know if that has helped yet.
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    freehub wrote:
    284W average for a 26min? Seems abit high? I did a 25:36, or 25:46 can't remember which one and I bet I only averaged like 250 odd maybe less, judging by my efforts on the computrainer.

get out to the club 10 on thursday :wink:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    a_n_t wrote:

get out to the club 10 on thursday :wink:

Agreed....

Time to put all these magical numbers into practice and see what you can do ;)
  • I don't have access to a power meter, but this is a fascinating thread - I'm intrigued as to what approximate gains I might expect from weight loss: I'm 6ft1 big build, currently just over 15st. PB is a 24:17 on a D/C course, and around 25:50 on a rolling club course. I'm not that aero because of the residual tummy bulge and general lack of time really looking at it, but if I simply lost a stone which is achievable then for the same power output what iomprovement would I see on a rolling course? few sconds, a minute?
  • DaveyL
    Difficult to say when it is just described as "rolling". I think the thing that kills you are the "surges" or spikes in power you need to maintain your speed when the road goes up (and if you ease off then your speed drops - there's a trade-off there obviously). Too many surges and you eventually blow, it is not ideal from a pacing perspective and it means you can't put out as much power on the flat.

You could always add weight in a camelbak to see how much that slows you down! :D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    I don't have access to a power meter, but this is a fascinating thread - I'm intrigued as to what approximate gains I might expect from weight loss: I'm 6ft1 big build, currently just over 15st. PB is a 24:17 on a D/C course, and around 25:50 on a rolling club course. I'm not that aero because of the residual tummy bulge and general lack of time really looking at it, but if I simply lost a stone which is achievable then for the same power output what iomprovement would I see on a rolling course? few sconds, a minute?
    It's a lot more than a stone you need to be looking at if you're really serious about improving, Steve. If, proportionally, I was going to increase my weight until I had the same BMI as you, I would have to increase my weight by 33%, or add 18 bags of sugar. So let me imagine strapping 18 bags of sugar to my TT bike before setting off to ride a 10. Apart from having to carry all that weight being a terrible thought, my guess is that it would slow me down by a couple of minutes. Yet you're doing that all the time. :shock:

Ruth

ps. scaled up for you the additional weight is 24 bags of sugar. It wouldn't fit in a camelbak but perhaps you should put that in a rucksack and see if it slows you down much? :lol:
  • nmcgann
    I don't have access to a power meter, but this is a fascinating thread - I'm intrigued as to what approximate gains I might expect from weight loss: I'm 6ft1 big build, currently just over 15st. PB is a 24:17 on a D/C course, and around 25:50 on a rolling club course. I'm not that aero because of the residual tummy bulge and general lack of time really looking at it, but if I simply lost a stone which is achievable then for the same power output what iomprovement would I see on a rolling course? few sconds, a minute?

To follow on from Ruth's comments - if you really are serious you need to get shot of a load of weight. I started at 6ft 1in and 14.5st and now I'm 11st4lb. Took about 6 months of sweating on the turbo and being a little bit hungry all the time. That has made a huge difference to my general cycling ability - even without specific training.
    --
  • BeaconRuth wrote:
    It's a lot more than a stone you need to be looking at if you're really serious about improving, Steve. If, proportionally, I was going to increase my weight until I had the same BMI as you, I would have to increase my weight by 33%, or add 18 bags of sugar. So let me imagine strapping 18 bags of sugar to my TT bike before setting off to ride a 10. Apart from having to carry all that weight being a terrible thought, my guess is that it would slow me down by a couple of minutes. Yet you're doing that all the time. :shock:

Ruth

ps. scaled up for you the additional weight is 24 bags of sugar. It wouldn't fit in a camelbak but perhaps you should put that in a rucksack and see if it slows you down much? :lol:

Thanks Ruth!

I have an issue with the conventional BMI calc (as you may recall from a similar theme a year or so back) when i was in my mid 20s i was as slim as I could sensibly get (30" waist) with little noticeable body fat on me, yet I still weighed 13st 8 / 9 ish. I got down to 14st last year accidentally and I did a PB on a 16 mile hilly in June havoing eased right off from the April onwards, so I know how important weight is to TT times, even on a 'flat' course which of course is never really flat. At 44 I can't see that I could realistically get below 14st unless I had a lot more time to exercise which I don't and won't have for a while until my kids have grown up.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My FTP test the other day puts me at 255ish. I am 90kg. This is shocking :oops: :x :oops:

Well, I certainly have the means now! - Coach, Powertap, Enthusiasm...
  • nmcgann
    NapoleonD wrote:

No excuses now, you've got all the tools :wink:
    --
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    My FTP test the other day puts me at 255ish. I am 90kg. This is shocking :oops: :x :oops:

From a gymn ergocycle thing, I estimate mine to be around 270W - welcome to the sh*te power/weight ratio club!

So, now I have seen a direction that could have tangible results and takes no extra time that I don't have I only had a childs portion of pasta for tea. I have a week off work coming up, and will spend 4 days just cycling, I'm going to try to spend as much time each day riding as close to bonking as I can, that should help with a bit of fat reduction.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    NapoleonD wrote:

Wine, garlic bread, cakes, more wine....

:oops:
  • Pokerface wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Wine, garlic bread, cakes, more wine....

:oops:

Are you considering coaching Pokerface? I like your regime much better :lol:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I personally subscribe to the Haribo (Tangfastics) and M&M Peanut school of training.
  • Anonymous
    Hmmm...

Trounced my PB in the club 10 by 34 seconds tonight whilst feeling weak as a baby...

Feel rather happy now!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Nice work NapD 8) - onwards and upwards!
  • Jeff Jones
    Bronzie wrote:
    Nice work NapD 8) - onwards and upwards!
    +1! Training works :)
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Anonymous
    Cheers!

Just wish I had power figures from it.

Got the Powertap back today though, all SL+'d up now! 2 day turnaround is bloody good!

Also got the Aero Jacket covers on monday to go on for my next TT too...

Race on Saturday so see how I go.

I've just filled in a rather in depth questionaire for the nutritionist I'm going to see upon recommendation of Adrian.

This time next year Rodney...
  • spanielsson
    spanielsson Posts: 776
    edited April 2010
    Well, the hard work seems to be paying off. A 10 mile TT PB broken this week, and now the big fella has picked up his first BC points!

NapD finished 8th today at Salt Ayre. Here are a few pics:

DSC_0024-3.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0139.jpg

DSC_0140.jpg

DSC_0141.jpg
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    He's not going to want to spend time with us now!! :lol:

Well done
  • tonyw43
    tonyw43 Posts: 249
    WTG Nap, good riding.
  • Anonymous
    Cheers!

:shock: I need to lose weight!

Thanks to top soigneur Spanielsson for help today!

Awesome wheel change upon puncture...

I am rather enthused again...