Coaching - Now I have no excuse!

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
I've been umming and aahing over coaching for a while now as I seem to be making very slow and intermittent progress with my training.

I posted on another thread that I had a fit from a guy called Adrian Timmis at www.cadencesport.co.uk and the improvement it made to my cycling astounded me. I was a lot more comfortable on the bike and it got rid of all my knee and shoulder twinges. A lot of this was accomplished through the use of footbeds and cleat shims (provided in the cost of the fit.)

Adrian is an ex-pro who rode at the very highest level and has a ridiculous amount of experience.

Having looked at all the coaching options out there I and my experience talking to him with my bike fit I decided to have him as my coach.

I went back yesterday for a TT bike fitting (again, instead of me sprawling all over it like a very uncomfortable octopus, and having to sit up every 5 minutes I am now very comfy on there, and aero too!). I also had my initial consultation for coaching.

I will be documenting my experiences on here so people can see what, if any, benefit it brings me and may help people decide whether it's for them. Although I may start doing it on my blog that hasn't been updated for almost 12 months instead...

One of the big things that Adrian has impressed on me was the importance of nutrition. I will be seeing a nutritionist he recommends in due course.

Current stats -
Weight 92kg, quite high body fat %
Functional Threshold Power (FTP) - 271 (2.94watts per kilogram)
Peak 5 min power - 363
Peak 1 min power - 516
Max (Quad) power - 1109 this season. (Before I broke my leg it was approx 1200)

Races - 3, did crap in them all!
Club 10 mile TT best - 26.14

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Also thinking of coaching, because at the moment I'm kind of guessing a lot in regards to training and it clearly ain't working! I peaked in the middle of January and it's been downhill ever since! Same race experiences and results as yourself. PB of 25'23" in the Club TT (My only attempt though, on a conventional bike with no tri-bars).

My only concern is, is it still worth doing if you don't own a powermeter?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Look forward to reading how you get on.

Adrian Timmis was recently recommended to me by a close friend although I'm still putting off going down the coached route as I'm a stubborn old mule and like to plough my own furrow. Probably wasted the best cycling years of my life with this approach though.
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    I'm very interested to see how this goes. That Zone 3 coaching is a bit tempting already!

Good luck with it.
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    Have to say coaching/physiological testing at Uni has really helped me this year. Just helps you focus and takes away the willpower required sometimes to get the session done. I've improved from mid 24s to low 22s (hoping to crack the 21 soon) and done really well in crits so far this year.

Hope you see some benefit too.
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Be interesting to see how you get on Nap.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • What sort of money does the coaching cost if you don't mind me asking?
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    What sort of money does the coaching cost if you don't mind me asking?

It's all on his website
  • Anonymous
    Had to do a max 5 min test on tuesday and 2 x 10 min tests today, both on the TT bike.

Learnt that I am 10-20% less powerful on the TT bike!

The problem I had was starting the max intervals at my best previous 5 and 10 min outputs and then failing miserably.

I have learnt, I promise.

I will start Saturday's 20 min FTP test at 20% off what I have my FTP set at...
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    Adrian coaches a guy I know who rides for Rapha. He really rates him.

Hope it works out.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    edited April 2010
    What do you mean there is no excuse? Now you have a coach to blame your poor performance on instead of yourself. Best of both worlds.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I would have thought you would be 12% more powerful on a TT bike. Or 12% less. ;)
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Pokerface wrote:
    I would have thought you would be 12% more powerful on a TT bike. Or 12% less. ;)

I was thinking along those lines. Now he's got a coach will it still be +12? :?
  • cotti
    cotti Posts: 96
    Just out of curiosity how are you measuring Bodyfat % Im not being nosey Id just like to know if your coach is doing it or your using some bodyfat scales?

Im currently struggling with the concept of losing bodyfat without losing anymore weight...
  • the footbed/cleat fitting sounds good. Never seem to be able to be 100% happy with my feet.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Why do all threads recently come back to Heather Mills.....
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I thought Adrian was back racing top level again ? If he coaches as well as he used to ride you will be fine.
    Interesting peak power Nap, that should be good enough to get you points in races if you can conserve energy and get into the right places at the right time !!
  • Anonymous
    cotti wrote:
    Just out of curiosity how are you measuring Bodyfat % Im not being nosey Id just like to know if your coach is doing it or your using some bodyfat scales?

Im currently struggling with the concept of losing bodyfat without losing anymore weight...

I looked in the mirror stark naked and jumped up and down. There's a lot that wobbles.

I was quite shocked, but not as shocked as the people in the womenswear department of M+S.
  • dboden
    dboden Posts: 349
    I will be watching this one with interest..
    I have booked a bikefit with Adrian, from your recomendation, its this weds!!!!! nice one
  • Pokerface
    NapoleonD wrote:
    cotti wrote:

I looked in the mirror stark naked and jumped up and down. There's a lot that wobbles.

I was quite shocked, but not as shocked as the people in the womenswear department of M+S.

Giant b*llocks doesn't count as high body fat content. 8)
  • alp777
    alp777 Posts: 211
    dboden wrote:
    I will be watching this one with interest..
    I have booked a bikefit with Adrian, from your recomendation, its this weds!!!!! nice one

I will also be very interested in this, as above, i've booked in for a fit next week.

Hope your getting a few quid off the cost of your coaching NapD :)

Cheers for the recommendation
  • Anonymous
    WTF is going on?!?

Did a 20 min FTP test this morning again on the TT bike.

Average power was 70 watts less than best 20 mins on the road bike (taken from a race on 6th March) and was about the same as a 3 hour Normalised Power on the road bike.

My heart rate in the aero position skyrockets and I can really feel my glutes and quads. Happy with the position though as I was able to last the full 20 mins in position and felt comfortable.

I think I need to do more work on my TT bike, core work and stretching... :shock: :shock:

Just awaiting next weeks schedule now.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    The best aero position is not always the best for max power output, so guess a compromise is required :D
    I think David Millar found the same as you and I think, but not sure, he went for aero over slight power loss but sure some one will find a link somewhere to verify.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    You've got to train in the TT position regularly (2 x week or more) if you want to keep your power output up. I find staying on the extensions when climbing <5% hills helps. I can generate the same power at a given intensity on my road bike as my TT bike.

It also helps if you get your road position closer to your TT position, e.g. saddle forward and bars low.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Anonymous
    Coach has given me some food for thought on this...

Watch this space.
  • Jeff Jones wrote:
    You've got to train in the TT position regularly (2 x week or more) if you want to keep your power output up. I find staying on the extensions when climbing <5% hills helps. I can generate the same power at a given intensity on my road bike as my TT bike.

It also helps if you get your road position closer to your TT position, e.g. saddle forward and bars low.

THis has been something I've found, i've always been quite flexible and had a decent position on the drops. For my TT set-up, i've always tried to keep my back in the same position as when i'm on the drops and really going for it, perching on the front of the saddle.

I could be lower at the front, but i'm able to hold that position for as long as needed and get the power down too.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Anonymous
    When I had my fit, I needed a stem that was 20 mm shorter (my bars are non adjustable). It's only a subtle adjustment but I did my tests on the one that was too long resulting in me effictively doing 'the plank' as I rode.

I've got a new stem to go on now and hopefully I'll see a bit of an improvement, although I think this is a minor issue.

I'm doing the same tests again on the road bike next week so we'll see...
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I do all of my turbo sessions on the TT bike, in fact I feel more comfortable on the TT bike.
  • Anonymous
    I think that's what he has in store for me...
  • Pokerface
    SBezza wrote:
    I do all of my turbo sessions on the TT bike, in fact I feel more comfortable on the TT bike.

Me too. It helps a lot when I have to go out on the road and actually race a TT.
  • The best aero position is not always the best for max power output, so guess a compromise is required :D
    I think David Millar found the same as you and I think, but not sure, he went for aero over slight power loss but sure some one will find a link somewhere to verify.
    One should seek to maximise the ratio of TT power to CdA (W/m^2) as that's the best determinant of TT performance.