Coaching - Now I have no excuse!

Comments

• mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    CarbonCopy wrote:
    I gave caffeine up also, and switched to redbush tea,green tea and also decaf coffee.
    When i have real coffee now i some times feel very anxious.followed by a visit to the tolietta often pebble dashing the loo.caffeine is stronger then given credit for i think.

Try being allergic to the stuff, having the squits is the least of your troubles believe me. I must be the only person who is not addicted to the stuff. Having to avoid caffeine is a night mare its in everything nearly. Have a look the next time you drink anything fizzy.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    mkirby wrote:
    Try being allergic to the stuff, having the squits is the least of your troubles believe me. I must be the only person who is not addicted to the stuff. Having to avoid caffeine is a night mare its in everything nearly. Have a look the next time you drink anything fizzy.
    It's not hard to avoid fizzy drinks. I don't have any chocolate. What else could it be in that I'm likely to eat?

Ruth
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    The hardest thing for me is medications. A lot have caffeine or derivatives in so i have to be very careful about what i take e.g. no cold flu medications.

Oh and those revitalising soaps and shower gels? yup may smell of peppermint but they can have up to 200mg per wash.

Most things are easy to avoid as it usually the energy bars and drinks that are laced with the stuff. But it does shpw up in some strange places at times.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Life without 'real' coffee.... :shock:

Jeez... That'll take some adjustment :?
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Tbh, I'm not missing it. (Although it's only been two days...)

The headache has almost worn off...

Did 1hr 40 recovery today, rode outside after being stuck in on the turbo for two days and it rained the whole time! Still, I remember saying after I crashed last year I'd just be happy to be able to get outside and ride a bike at all!
    Adrian crashed 200 metres into a ride with the GB triathlon squad, lost 3-4hrs of memory and broke his elbow and collar bone last week!
    So I'm doubley thankful to be out riding!
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    According to Asker Jeukendrup on this Competitor Radio interview:

http://competitorradio.competitor.com/2 ... eukendrup/

To sum up what he says about caffeine: caffeine is definitely performance-enhancing. He says that this is the case whether you are a regular caffeine user or not, and the dose required for a performance effect is low - ~3-5 mg/kg body weight (equivalent to one or two cups of coffee). There is no performance benefit to taking more. Caffeine has a half-life of ~5 hours so he recomends topping up with a similar dose in longer events, after a few hours.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I have tried to give up caffeine during the week, but I like dark chocolate, and have a diet coke at lunch each day. Then again it is very limited to what it was, and there isn't alot in a bottle of diet coke anyhow.

I use it at races though, and think nothing of it, though I don't pop pills as some do though, and my energy gels are caffeinated.

Also regular use actually reduces the effects of caffeine as your body gets used to it, or so I have read.
  • Anonymous
    I haven't made a conscious effort to give up caffeine... I just haven't had any for a couple of days!
    I will still have a coffee I think before a TT or race.

One side effect I have noticed though is very much a positive...

I have always rather embarrassingly suffered from sweating a lot.

I have stopped!
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    mkirby wrote:
    Oh and those revitalising soaps and shower gels? yup may smell of peppermint but they can have up to 200mg.

you're not meant to drink them.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Anonymous
    I have a sneaking suspicion I've solved my power issue on the TT bike...
    I have a sweet spot session shortly so we'll see...
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I have a sneaking suspicion I've solved my power issue on the TT bike...
    I have a sweet spot session shortly so we'll see...

Oh nice! :evil:

Alex!... You can't just write something like that ( a possible revelation!), throw it out there on the 'net and then leave it! FFS! :evil:

You are a tease... :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Anonymous
    Yep. Pretty sure I've got a long way towards sorting it!

I was letting my hips rotate forward and the middle/top of my back was 'sagging'.

Curved my back a bit, rotating the hips back a bit and hey presto!

Just need to keep up riding on it now.

The nutritionist's plan is working wonders. I'm the lightest I've been since I was about 25 having been hovering at 90kg for a few months and not being able to get below it - and I feel fantastic!! Energy levels are much better and consistent too.

That's after only 4 days!
  • Anonymous
    edited May 2010
    Beacon Roads CC Little Mountain TT yesterday - went well.

All I did last week was a lot of Lvl 1 with a hard threshold session on Weds, this probably helped as I was raring to go yesterday morning.

I now have an event to target for next year too.

With a lot more power and a lot less weight I should be slaughtering this year's time.

Average (not normalised) Power for the 2 hrs 13mins was 238.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Average (not normalised) Power for the 2 hrs 13mins was 238.
    That's a pretty solid ride given your FTP........nice one!
  • Anonymous
    Cheers Bronzie! NP for 2hrs was 258.

I had to do a 5 min / 1min / Sprint Power Profile test tonight outside on the road. (Sprint from 15mph, 1 min from 20mph)

Results -

5 min - 361 (Best ever by 20 watts)
    1 min - 518 (Best ever)
    10s - 1099 (Best ever, particularly pleased as it was from rolling start)
    Max - 1154 (Possibly best ever but I'm sure I had over 1200 last year...)
    En route to the above I did my best ever 2 min too. In the sprint I held 1000 watts until 14s then it started dropping off.

I think there's something in this being coached lark!

Now comes the good bit....

I did it on my TT bike!! :o

Last month my 5 min power on the TT bike was 320!

Now comes the next good bit...

I'm the lightest I've been since I was about 22! (88.75kg)
  • spanielsson
    spanielsson Posts: 776
    Get in!!!!!!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    NapoleonD wrote:
    10s - 1099 (Best ever, particularly pleased as it was from rolling start)
    You certainly have a bit of a gallop - max QuadPower!

Although it probably feels like you are producing more power from a standing start, optimum cadence for max power is around 120rpm so it's probably easier to get higher figures from a rolling start.
  • Anonymous
    It was on the TT bike too which felt very weird!

Just done 2 x 10 mins test on the TT bike (Bear in mind I did the power profile test yesterday and a hard threshold session on Weds) -

1st interval up 17watts
    2nd interval up 20 watts

(Compared to 3rd April, when I was rested too!)
  • Anonymous
    First long hilly ride today since beginning of March. Chest was really bad this morning due to smoke at a party last night (there was a firepit and I woke up barely able to breath, my inhaler didn't help much...)

However -

What a difference a few kilos weight loss makes on the climbs! :shock:

4hrs, very satisfying :o
  • Anonymous
    Not updated for a while...

Since coaching / nutrition plan over the last 4 weeks or so I have taken 1.05 mins off my club 10 mile time trial, slaughtered my best sprint power (whilst on TT bike!!) and trounced my best 1 min power...

I'm the lightest I've been for 13yrs.

It's going well...

Hard race next tues, power figures should be interesting.
  • 36spoke
    36spoke Posts: 50
    doing good work there with some nice improvements

would also like you to keep your weight figures coming so we see how you are progressing there, you are sre to be having some great improvements in W/kg
  • Anonymous
    36spoke wrote:
    doing good work there with some nice improvements

would also like you to keep your weight figures coming so we see how you are progressing there, you are sre to be having some great improvements in W/kg

I'll weigh myself later today...
  • Anonymous
    Ar$e!

My Nofriendo Wii has stopped working so can't weigh myself.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Ar$e!

My Nofriendo Wii has stopped working so can't weigh myself.

how the fk do you weigh yourself on a Wii..?? Don't you have any bathroom scales..?
  • Anonymous
    Wii fit.

No.
  • Anonymous
    edited May 2010
    Wii working again.

87.5kg

Lost 4.5kg in the 5 weeks since I started with Adrian / 4 weeks following Barry's nutrition plan...

So - the stats...
    Start of coaching

Weight 92kg, quite high body fat %

Functional Threshold Power (FTP) - 271 (2.94watts per kilogram)
    Peak 5 min power - 341 (3.7w/kg)
    Peak 1 min power - 516 (5.6w/kg)
    Max (Quad) power - 1109 this season. (Before I broke my leg it was approx 1200 I think)

All from road bike

Races - 3, did crap in them all!
    Club 10 mile TT best - 26.14

After 6 weeks

Weight 87.5kg, lost a lot of fat, put on some muscle. Muscles much more defined.

FTP - Due a test...
    Peak 5 min power - 361 (4.12w/kg)
    Peak 1 min power - 518 (5.92w/kg)
    10s Power 1018
    Max 1180

All above done on TT bike which, if you have been reading, I have been having power issues with!!
    I think I am approx 5-10% stronger on the road bike.

Races 1 - Came in top 10 and scored 1st BC points
    Club 10 mile TT best - 24.32 (1min 44 better)
  • 36spoke
    36spoke Posts: 50
    well nap, that is more or less bang on the maximum recommended for weight loss, great achievement and congratulations, i am sure you notice this when out on the bike, especially on a rolling / hilly course, keep it up
  • softlad
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Wii fit.

No.

what I meant was - how does a Wii tell how heavy you are..??
  • Anonymous
    softlad wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Wii fit.

No.

what I meant was - how does a Wii tell how heavy you are..??

On the 'Body Test' on the Wii Fit program, it does your weight and BMI as well as centre of balance.

You just stand on the platform and it does it, takes a couple of minutes.
  • softlad
    ok - got it now....

I've never seen the wii fit stuff, so the notion of a games console telling you your weight was a bit confusing... ;)