My Cannondale Team Flash Carbon Ultimate *NOV* Page 13

Comments

• El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    Also got hold of some custom Ti-springs and alloy sleeves (from Germany) to replace the steel springs and sleeves.

I'd be very interested to find out where you obtained the springs from?

I'm going down the same route as you with my egg beaters, they're currently at 185g from 222g for the pair, after just changing the spindles.

I got my springs and alloy sleeves custom made in Italy. You can buy the sleeves now from Robert at r2.de (really top bloke) :DHere But I don't know where to get the alloy sleeves. I will email some of my parts sellers and see if I can get a hold of them.

Cheers. Ordered a pair of the springs this morning. :D
  • Xgreygoose wrote:
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    Also got hold of some custom Ti-springs and alloy sleeves (from Germany) to replace the steel springs and sleeves.

I'd be very interested to find out where you obtained the springs from?

I'm going down the same route as you with my egg beaters, they're currently at 185g from 222g for the pair, after just changing the spindles.

I got my springs and alloy sleeves custom made in Italy. You can buy the sleeves now from Robert at r2.de (really top bloke) :DHere But I don't know where to get the alloy sleeves. I will email some of my parts sellers and see if I can get a hold of them.

Cheers. Ordered a pair of the springs this morning. :D

No worries, if you need a manual on how to take off the springs, let me know and I will PM the info :D
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
    Cannondale Flash Ultimate 2010
    Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2010
    Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2009
  • chick0
    chick0 Posts: 338
    Hey John, a few quick questions,

What's the story with your Formula R1 calliper mounting bolts, are they made by Formula or are they some other third party part? What are they made from, titanium? Magnesium ?

The reason i ask is that i have a set of R1's coming from Italy, and as you will know, all the various parts for these brakes are to be bought separately, but i have yet to track down and order the calliper adaptors mounts and hard-wear i want/need.

I have also have ordered a set of 180mm formula floating rotors to go with the R1's, and i saw in this thread that they are your favourite rotors. I know there not the lightest on the market, so what's your reasons for this? Is it do to the power and feel they give?

Charlie,
  • chick0 wrote:
    Hey John, a few quick questions,
    What's the story with your Formula R1 calliper mounting bolts, are they made by Formula or are they some other third party part? What are they made from, titanium? Magnesium ?

The reason i ask is that i have a set of R1's coming from Italy, and as you will know, all the various parts for these brakes are to be bought separately, but i have yet to track down and order the calliper adaptors mounts and hard-wear i want/need.

I have also have ordered a set of 180mm formula floating rotors to go with the R1's, and i saw in this thread that they are your favourite rotors. I know there not the lightest on the market, so what's your reasons for this? Is it do to the power and feel they give?

Charlie,

Hey there Charlie,
    The bolts are just normal M6 Gold Titanium which I bought separately with Green alloy washers and Gold Titanium washers at the rear.

You should get the PM mounts with the rotors, if not try Here
    I got mine both custom made in Italy from Eliflap & Co.( I think)
    The middle tube bit is made of Carbon fiber with alloy ends and weigh in at 9.3g for the rear and 8.7g for the front. The black rear PM mount for the Flash weighs in at 4g

IMO I do think formula make one of the best rotors 1pc or floating. I have tried most of the other aftermarket brands and I always go back to Formula rotors. Especially the Formula floating rotors. Tons of power and never over heat even on wicked long descends and they stay true. When I get my Jekyll, i plan to put 1pcs or floating 180mm Formula rotors too.
    You know I tried those Hope X2 pro rotors which are lighter (79g) but they seem to float everywhere meaning you had to adjust them every-time you when out on one ride. :x

Anyway here some photo. The black R1's are from my Scalpel and the white R1's are from my Flash. BTW are you getting white R1's? And is it from Claudio (clood69)nice guy? Also if you are looking for some Mixmaster (Matchmakers) PM me :)

DSC01605.jpg
    DSC01604.jpg
    DSC01608.jpg
    DSC01598.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • chick0
    Thanks for the Info and links John,

My R1's will be Red ( i'm hoping they don't look cheapy in the flesh), which i think were originally made for top end Cubes. I got them and the Floating rotors (which seem very rare these days, possibly about to be replaced for 2011??) and Ti rotor bolts from "kw570" on the Italian ebay.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/kw570/m.html?_nk ... ksid=p3686

I'm going to wait until the brakes arrive to see if they do come with adaptors, but i doubt they will , as the brakes and rotors where separate auctions, and even if they do, its unlikely that they will be the correct sizes i need of 180mm front and back. Fingers crossed...

I decided to jump my rear rotor size from 160mm to 180mm as i have found on my Avid setup that the rear was often getting close to the fade limit on a lot of descents, and the Formula 180mm rotors seem fairly light for there size, so the weight penalty is small. I have seen a few pics of the Formula Floating 180mm being weighed, and they are always between 108g and 110g. As a direct comparison, the floating 180mm Hope rotors come in at around 146g. My original Avid rotors were 148g for the 180mm and 108g for 160mm, so the 180mm Formulas are about the same as 160mm Avids ;)

Have you seen the 2011 R1's? Formula will offer two upgrade for Reach and Pad contact adjustments knobs, and i have also read that these options will be available for retro-fitting on 2010 R1 models. r11.jpg

I might be interested in trying Mixmaster, although I normally have a strange brake and shifter positions on my bars (friends riding my bikes always comment on my brakes being set up only for 1 finger braking), but i will also wait until all my new components arrive to decide, as have a set of XO redwin shifters coming, and i think the red bar mount will be looking very cool next the the Red R1's :):):)
    What kind of weight saving is possible with Mixmaster ? is it worth if from that point of view, or is it more for a cleaner looking bar?

I also have noticed that you have some experience with various Tune hubs. How have you found them for durability, do they take a lot of maintenance ? Would you use them on a Trail / AM bike ( like your Jekyll) with the correct Rims?
  • chick0
    I guess you will have seen already. But here's the link anyway

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/artic ... eels-28130

My guess was right that Formula are too introduce a new Floating Rotor in 2011.
  • chick0 wrote:
    Thanks for the Info and links John,

Have you seen the 2011 R1's? Formula will offer two upgrade for Reach and Pad contact adjustments knobs, and i have also read that these options will be available for retro-fitting on 2010 R1 models.

I might be interested in trying Mixmaster, although I normally have a strange brake and shifter positions on my bars (friends riding my bikes always comment on my brakes being set up only for 1 finger braking), but i will also wait until all my new components arrive to decide, as have a set of XO redwin shifters coming, and i think the red bar mount will be looking very cool next the the Red R1's :):):)
    What kind of weight saving is possible with Mixmaster ? is it worth if from that point of view, or is it more for a cleaner looking bar?

Yep, I have seen the new line up for Formula brakes. Don't the like the look of Reach and Pad contact knobs. I do like the look of the new floating rotors. :D I think it will add some grams to the brakes. Plus you just don't need them (IMO). Another reason why I sold my Avid XX brakes because of Pad Adjustment knob(IMO).

I took some photo's to compare the weight of the mounts. I think you would only save a few more grams with your X.O mounts. I guess it's more of a clean look especially if you have "lockout" switches on your bar or you are using shorter handlebar.

Sram XX bar mounts and R1's bar mounts 30.4g

DSC01585.jpg

Mixmasters/Matchmakers with upgrade alloy bolt ( Mixmasters came with a steel bolt)29.8g

DSC01579.jpg

My new custom made carbon Sram XX and R1's bar mounts :D 20.1g

DSC01582.jpg
    DSC01611.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • At last my new post has arrived. It's a custom order Mcfk carbon post from Germany. I did order a Schmolke post but changed my mind due to the LONG wait and cost. I went with this new small company cause I've hear so many good things about the Mcfk post.
    Its a 27.2mm 400mm UD carbon post with a adjustment range + / - 25mm plus a rider's weight limit of 110kg!! :D
    DSC01616.jpg

My old Extralite post which I though was pretty light.
    DSC01618.jpg

My new Mcfk post with a TUNE Kom Vor Saddle(95g)
    DSC01630.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • My new Chainrings from Italy.
    Carbon Ti Evo Titanium chainrings (42-26T)for Sram XX 120/80 BCD.
    Wasn't to sure about these as I had Carbon-Ti chainrings before and shifted like crap. Happy to say that they have sorted this out. Shifting is super fast just like my old XX chainrings with the help of Delrin parts attached at the back of the ring.
    4066_2.jpg

My new Sram XX chainrings by Carbon-Ti weigh in at 90g :D
    DSC01627.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • WOW :O

That is turning out amazing. How much did the custom bar mount fabing cost?
  • El Capitano
    Like the new seat-post. What's the bike weigh now?
  • Xgreygoose
    Xgreygoose Posts: 371
    edited October 2010
    WOW :O
    That is turning out amazing. How much did the custom bar mount fabing cost?

I think I paid roughly about €130 euro for the custom XX and R1 carbon bar mounts. You get similar parts from Here but it will cost more.

Like the new seat-post. What's the bike weigh now?

Hey El Capitano, how's the springs coming along?
    Here is new weight so far. I wasn't going to put it up yet as I am still waiting for few more parts to arrive. Once I get these parts I think my Flash is pretty much done and I will be super, super happy with it :D
    I will be moving on/waiting for my new bike :)

7.06kg :D with pedals
    DSC01620.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Nice chainrings, but 26/42? That sounds like a horrendous jump! Why not 28/42 or 26/39 as SRAM spec, or 26/40?
  • Simonhi
    Simonhi Posts: 229
    Good work John,

Nice to see it all coming together as you shave those vital grammes off !!!

My long wait is nearly over, I should have my bike ready tomorrow once the last few plastic bearing protectors arrive fro the BB30, I9 were a nightmare with the wheels but the LBS kept banging on the door of the importer for me and it has finally all arrived.

Should get some pics up by the weekend.

Cheers,

Si.

ps - I know what you mean about the Schmolke post, I'm still waiting for mine after ordering in June !!! I bought a Thompson as a "make-do-for now" and also to use when clamping the bike in my work stand as the post will crush without too much effort. Like yours the bit exposed is thin as hell with only 65mm to play with, the rest gets machined out, I'll have to weigh it to see how they compare !!!
  • njee20 wrote:
    Nice chainrings, but 26/42? That sounds like a horrendous jump! Why not 28/42 as SRAM spec, or 26/39 (or 40)?

I had a 42/28 (XX spec) set up awhile back, but I was struggling going up on some very long steep hills. My SRAM rep didn't recommend me changing the small ring to 26T and told me that I should go for a 39/26 (XX spec) but the large ring (39) is far too little for me. Plus my cadence would be way to high on the flats.
    So after some small adjustments and an extra spacer on the spindle. Bingo, silky smooth shifting with 42/26. Perfect :)
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • njee20
    Weren't tempted by single ring then!? Easy weight saving there!
  • El Capitano
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    Hey El Capitano, how's the springs coming along?

Will be fitting them on the weekend. :D
  • Simonhi wrote:
    Good work John,
    Nice to see it all coming together as you shave those vital grammes off !!!

My long wait is nearly over, I should have my bike ready tomorrow once the last few plastic bearing protectors arrive fro the BB30, I9 were a nightmare with the wheels but the LBS kept banging on the door of the importer for me and it has finally all arrived.
    Should get some pics up by the weekend.

Cheers,

Si.
    ps - I know what you mean about the Schmolke post, I'm still waiting for mine after ordering in June !!! I bought a Thompson as a "make-do-for now" and also to use when clamping the bike in my work stand as the post will crush without too much effort. Like yours the bit exposed is thin as hell with only 65mm to play with, the rest gets machined out, I'll have to weigh it to see how they compare !!!

Hey Si,
    Long time no hear. Wow!! Your bike has taken this long. Yes, I9 people to take there time in moving out stock :evil: Never mind at lease your bike is almost done. Same story with Schmolke. BTW what seat-post did you order? You know the TLO version does have a weight limit. I wouldn't worry about clamping on to a work stand. I will be strong enough, besides your bike is light too :)

Have you seen my friend LYNSKEY PRO 29 Bought the frame from fleaBay. Scroll down. Also you will see my new project (bike) at the very bottom.

Looking forward to your pic's
    P.S If you are looking to get a light system, do try the Betty II and new Piko. Awesome combo!! As I'm think you will be riding in the dark soon :)
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Lucozade1
    Lucozade1 Posts: 171
    Gob smacked...... Awesome machines, can't pick one as my favourite...

You have great bikes and a great sense whats what when it comes to a build...

Nice one :wink:
    It's all in the glory!!!

2011 Giant Trance X2
    [url=ihttp://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa452/Lucozadejim/MyMachine4.jpg]ihttp://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa ... chine4.jpg[/url]
    2008 Rockrider HT
  • njee20
    Where did your green bolts come from? I was thinking of going for green on the new Fuel, but I've noticed ProBolt don't do green, boo hiss!
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    It's mentioned some point earlier in the thread I think.
  • njee20 wrote:
    Where did your green bolts come from? I was thinking of going for green on the new Fuel, but I've noticed ProBolt don't do green, boo hiss!

For what part of the bike do you mean? Front, rear derailleur? Handlebar area? Crank set area?
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Simonhi
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    Simonhi wrote:
    !

Hey Si,
    Long time no hear. Wow!! Your bike has taken this long. Yes, I9 people to take there time in moving out stock :evil: Never mind at lease your bike is almost done. Same story with Schmolke. BTW what seat-post did you order? You know the TLO version does have a weight limit. I wouldn't worry about clamping on to a work stand. I will be strong enough, besides your bike is light too :)

Have you seen my friend LYNSKEY PRO 29 Bought the frame from fleaBay. Scroll down. Also you will see my new project (bike) at the very bottom.

P.S If you are looking to get a light system, do try the Betty II and new Piko. Awesome combo!! As I'm think you will be riding in the dark soon :)

Hi John,

I went for the TLO seat post, SLO handlebar.

Yes, I saw Eliflap's bike a couple of weeks ago on MTBR.com forum, very nice, I've copied him with the Carbon Ti seat post collar.

I've weighed mine and it's just over 21lbs, with the weight saving that can be made on a set of carbon wheels and a few other "weenie" pieces I may get the bike under 20lbs, which was my target. Not bad for an XL Ti frame.

I think I would struggle to get to 8.5kgs like Eliflap as he is using a medium frame, same fork, drivetrain etc but 1 x 10 and carbon rims too.

Maybe a lighter saddle, Schmolke post should be 80g less than temporary Thompson, wheels could be 400g less when the new Enve tubless rims are available with some light Tune hubs maybe.

I'm gonna leave it as is for a bit and ride it, maybe during the frozen winter months.

Already riding in the dark with an LED headtorch, need more power though.

I'll get pics up by the weekend.

Cheers,

Si.
  • Simonhi
    njee20 wrote:

Go to Steve the anodising man, very helpful.

stevebarry1978@hotmail.com
  • njee20
    Cheers, was just after a bolt supplier, so that looks fine. I'm happy to measure things myself, rather than pay double because it comes in a box that says 'bottle boss bolts' :-)
  • Simonhi wrote:
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    Simonhi wrote:
    !
    Hey Si,

Hi John,
    I went for the TLO seat post, SLO handlebar
    I've weighed mine and it's just over 21lbs, with the weight saving that can be made on a set of carbon wheels and a few other "weenie" pieces I may get the bike under 20lbs, which was my target. Not bad for an XL Ti frame.
    I think I would struggle to get to 8.5kgs like Eliflap as he is using a medium frame, same fork, drivetrain etc but 1 x 10 and carbon rims too.
    Maybe a lighter saddle, Schmolke post should be 80g less than temporary Thompson, wheels could be 400g less when the new Enve tubless rims are available with some light Tune hubs maybe.
    I'm gonna leave it as is for a bit and ride it, maybe during the frozen winter months.
    Already riding in the dark with an LED headtorch, need more power though.
    I'll get pics up by the weekend.
    Cheers,
    Si.

21lbs is great your for bike size and the parts that you have. :)
    I miss those winter months. I haven't seen snow in over 10yrs. Lucky you. Would love to ride in the winter.
    I am planning too, to buy another Enve AM wheelset for my Jekyll but not sure on what hubs to get. I do love the XC one's on my Flash. Super stiff and strong for carbon rims.

Did you sort out that problem you had with the anodizing the R1's?

If you are getting the Schmolke TLO post did you ask them to increase the rider's weight limit. Standard post are for 90kg riders.

BTW if you are looking for head light, try the new Lupine Piko. Great little light, or the Exposure Diablo or Joystick. I had these both but found it didn't last long on MAX. plus the spot is not tight enough for me. But still good value lights and cable free.
    The Piko is great. It has a separate battery pack but light enough to be mount on the helmet if you (like me) don't always use a Camelbak.

DSC01507.jpg
    DSC01503.jpg
    DSC01497.jpg
    DSC01500.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • njee20 wrote:

I remember now. I got my green bolts from Nano bike-de and r2 bike-de much better quality/finish than torontocycles. They are only really good for Ti-bolts (IMHO)

Top one is from Torontocycles. Looks more blue'ish and doesn't have a gloss look. Unless of course you are looking for that kind of green. Still the finish is so so.

DSC01633.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • njee20
    Perfect, good man, they don't seem to do green in certain bits anyway.
  • njee20 wrote:
    Perfect, good man, they don't seem to do green in certain bits anyway.

Yeah, I know what mean. Nano bikes do great bolts and sets. I am pretty sure you will find what you need from them.
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9