My Cannondale Team Flash Carbon Ultimate *NOV* Page 13

Comments

• AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    Looking as awesome as ever mate!!

Loving teh slick tyres!

Got an update for you on my Flash Hi Mod 2........remember I binned it and had a breakdown as thought I damaged the frame...................well.............frame totally ok but to protect it came up with a great plan................................bought a lefty rubber stopper that usually guards teh frame against teh fork.......so this now is on top tube where brake / shifter would hit if the bars came all teh way round................no damage as it will only hit the rubber stopper if I bin it!

Rode the Kielder 100 coupel weeks ago and defo rode harder coz I knew that if I crashed my bike would be ok..................dont mind if I get damaged!!!!

Keep the updates coming matey!............love seeing how the machine is coming along.
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • That is a sexy build and jesus is that bike light! 7.2kg is crazy light.
  • chick0
    chick0 Posts: 338
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    mattbarnes wrote:
    Very, very nice.

Have you ordered your 2011 Scalpel yet? Your 2010 bikes are looking a little dated now! :lol:

Aaaah, I'm just jealous...

Thanks......no new Scalpel or Lefty this time. Going for bigger travel mtb.
    I've put my order for new Jekyll hi-mod 1 :D Should get around early November. Can't wait..
    jekyll-himod1-2011.jpg

What colour scheme of Jekyll have gone for ?
  • chick0 wrote:

Since all my bikes have black/green colour scheme, I have ordered this one. White/green but I if I don't like it my LBS says I can change it. They are getting 3 each of all models/colours. I know for sure its going to be the Hi-mod 1 or 2. I didn't go for the Ultimate version due to those crap Crank brothers wheelset.
    Its going to be great. I can't wait. :D
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
    Cannondale Flash Ultimate 2010
    Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2010
    Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2009
  • chick0
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    chick0 wrote:

Since all my bikes have black/green colour scheme, I have ordered this one. White/green but I if I don't like it my LBS says I can change it. They are getting 3 each of all models/colours. I know for sure its going to be the Hi-mod 1 or 2. I didn't go for the Ultimate version due to those crap Crank brothers wheelset.

That was the colour scheme that stood out for me when i 1st saw these bikes.

I meant to ask this before, how do Hong Kong's prices for Cannondale's ( or bikes in general) compare to the UK's?

The Flash Team's RRP is £6,999 in the UK ( you can PM the answer if you don't want to disclose on the public forum).
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    This seems to suggest a price of $71,000HKD for the Flash Ultimate, which Google reckons is £5,853.94, so cheaper, which I'm surprised at personally.
  • Thats one awesome looking bike 8)
    Nicolai CC
  • chick0 wrote:
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    chick0 wrote:

I meant to ask this before, how do Hong Kong's prices for Cannondale's ( or bikes in general) compare to the UK's?

The Flash Team's RRP is £6,999 in the UK ( you can PM the answer if you don't want to disclose on the public forum).

The price list that njee20 gave is about right. Only that I get 20% to 23% discount. :lol:
    Not surprisingly anywhere is cheaper that the EU especially the UK. Tax is way to high.
    When I go back home I never go to any bike shops. No point. Way too expensive!! VAT is to much.
    One main reason I left the UK cause it was to hard to make a living.
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • chick0
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    chick0 wrote:
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    chick0 wrote:

The price list that njee20 gave is about right. Only that I get 20% to 23% discount. :lol:
    Not surprisingly anywhere is cheaper that the EU especially the UK. Tax is way to high.
    When I go back home I never go to any bike shops. No point. Way too expensive!! VAT is to much.

I'm not surprised at this at all, as from my own experience's of living around south east Asia, the cost of living is much lower then the UK, especially for basic everyday expenses (food, electricity, fuel, phone calls, travel, etc) .
    On a "average" UK salary, in many places its possible to live like a king :)

There is also a culture of bargaining, where locals will rarely pay list price for products.
  • chick0 wrote:
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    chick0 wrote:
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    chick0 wrote:

I'm not surprised at this at all, as from my own experience's of living around south east Asia, the cost of living is much lower then the UK, especially for basic everyday expenses (food, electricity, fuel, phone calls, travel, etc) .
    On a "average" UK salary, in many places its possible to live like a king :)

There is also a culture of bargaining, where locals will rarely pay list price for products.

F#$%ING Absolutely!! Agree. When my sisters come's here, they go completely crazy in shopping :lol:
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Out of interest may i ask where abouts in Hong Kong your LBS is? I am out there soon and would quite like to pick up a few bargains :D
  • Out of interest may i ask where abouts in Hong Kong your LBS is? I am out there soon and would quite like to pick up a few bargains :D

Here is couple of places that you might like.
    Flyingball is one of my flav mostly because I ride with the owner and they are the Sole distributor of Cannondale for Asia :D
    http://www.bullbike.net/index_e.htm and http://www.flyingball.com/
    PM me if you need some help 8)
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • prestons wrote:

150mm of travel will be plenty for my kind of riding. That's why I will be going for the Jekyll. Claymore looks hot but a bit too much travel (180mm) for me. Plus we have alot of "Hike and bike" So the Claymore is going to be a bit on the heavy side. :D
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • any ideas how much the new jekell weighs?
  • chick0
    tri-sexual wrote:
    any ideas how much the new jekell weighs?

Jekyll Ultimate - is 25.4lbs / 11.5kg. That's with a mixed XC / AM build.
  • not that light for a top end cannondale :(
    the scott genius ltd is much lighter
  • tri-sexual wrote:
    not that light for a top end cannondale :(

Not looking for a light (AM) bike this time. I have my Flash and Scalpel for that :lol: Also three reason why I didn't go for the Jekyll Ultimate: Don't want XX stuff as I have it already and the main reason don't like (hate) CB Cobalt wheelset. And I'm a big fan of lime green :D
    Anything around 25lbs for a AM bike will be fine. Need a bike that will stick to the ground and take big hits.
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Xgreygoose wrote:
    tri-sexual wrote:

Not looking for a light (AM) bike this time. I have my Flash and Scalpel for that :lol: Also three reason why I didn't go for the Jekyll Ultimate: Don't want XX stuff as I have it already and the main reason don't like (hate) CB Cobalt wheelset. And I'm a big fan of lime green :D
    Anything around 25lbs for a AM bike will be fine. Need a bike that will stick to the ground and take big hits.

i for one will be seriously dissappointed if your new jekell is not pimped to the max and is put on a serious crash diet :D
    looking forward to "make over transformation" when your new bike arrives
  • chick0
    tri-sexual wrote:

The Cannondale weight is the real weight (with pedals, tire selent etc etc ) for a medium size.

Do you have an independent confirmed weight for the scott genius ltd ?
  • 2009 and 2010 scott genius ltd both have claimed weights of 22.91lbs (10.40kg) and thats with pedals.
    never weighed them independently but know people who ride them and am amazed at how light they feel
    all the top end scotts have very impressive weights and are amongst some of the best for off the shelf frames of any manufacturer
    i have several cannondales myself and have riden most scott models (road and mtb) so i'm not knocking cannondales in any way
  • chick0
    tri-sexual wrote:
    2009 and 2010 scott genius ltd both have claimed weights of 22.91lbs (10.40kg) and thats with pedals.
    never weighed them independently but know people who ride them and am amazed at how light they feel
    all the top end scotts have very impressive weights and are amongst some of the best for off the shelf frames of any manufacturer
    i have several cannondales myself and have riden most scott models (road and mtb) so i'm not knocking cannondales in any way

I;m not knocking Scotts, i rate there frames up there with the very best, so don't worry :)

But the extreme lightweight build kit on a Genius Ltd ( including carbon rims and forks) is not really fair to compared with the mostly AM kit on the Jekyll.
  • thats what i mean, the genius is classed as a AM mtb so should is a direct competitor with the new jekell, it has 150mm travel forks and a equalizer shock (similar to the new jekyll shock)
    if you want lightweight FS then the crown goes to the scott spark ltd, 20.26lbs,/ 9.20kg with 100mm fork and 110mm shock (off the shelf weight with no mods) inc pedals
  • chick0
    tri-sexual wrote:
    thats what i mean, the genius is classed as a AM mtb so should is a direct competitor with the new jekell, it has 150mm travel forks and a equalizer shock (similar to the new jekyll shock)
    if you want lightweight FS then the the scott spark ltd, 20.26lbs,/ 9.20kg with 100mm fork and 110mm shock (off the shelf weight with no mods) inc pedals

The Genius LTD may be listed as an AM bike (it's a broadly used term), but aside from its travel, its build kit is pure XC, and therefore it ends up being very light, but lacks the robustness and capabilities of true "AM" bikes.
    Would you hit big jumps, 10 foot drops or extreme rocky descents on "your" 2 grand XC Carbon rims ?

If you put the build kit from the Genius LTD on to the Jekyll frame, im sure the Jekyll would be achieving similar weights. In fact, i think im right in saying that it might be possible to get the Jekyll to a lower weight then the Genius, mostly due to the BB30 Hollowgram crankset, the lighter Fox pull shock, and the use of BallisTec grade carbon on the frame which is military developed and new to the bike industry (although i have never seen independent frame weight comparison to confirm this).

Your Scott Spark LTD "crown goes to" claims are all rather hollow, as Scott only design and produce the frame, and then fit off the shelf components. There is no doubt that Scott's Spark frame is a fantastic piece of engineering, but there is other fames on the market that are of similar quality and weight, that would easily achieve a similar or lighter weight using component integration and the same budget for parts as Scott do on the LTD.

The owner of the Flash this thread is about also has a Scalpel (although modified, but will be of similar overall value to a Spark LTD), and it weighs in less then your quoted Spark weight, and his build is of a realistic robustness, and on a XL frame ( Is that right Big John??).

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forums/vie ... ht=scalpel

We could argue back and forwards forever about build kits and weights. But all bikes are a compromise, you cant have one thing without it effecting another. All manufacturers are working within the same laws of engineering and physics. There is also a lot of cross employment between the top manufacturers, so there is few secrets within materials and construction A good example of this is Peter Denk, the designer of the recent Scott Carbon bikes, including the Genesis. He is now at Cannondale, and designed the 2011 Jekyll.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Your Scott Spark LTD "crown goes to" claims are all rather hollow, as Scott only design and produce the frame, and then fit off the shelf components. There is no doubt that Scott's Spark frame is a fantastic piece of engineering, but there is other fames on the market that are of similar quality and weight, that would easily achieve a similar or lighter weight using component integration and the same budget for parts as Scott do on the LTD.

This.

The Spark was very light when it came out, but it's not changed one iota in 5 years, and everyone else has caught up! Throw enough money at a bike at 20lbs is very achievable these days.

If you want a properly light FS bike, get an MSC Koncept Carbon, they are scarily light frames. Sadly the durability suffers. But the Top Fuel 9.9, S-Works Epic, Anthem Advanced SL etc are all about the same as the sensibly specced Sparks. In fact, for 2011 there is no Spark LTD and the Spark RC is heavier than the Trek/Spesh/Giant, not to mention the new Scalpel as pointed out above, which wees all over everything!
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    Also got hold of some custom Ti-springs and alloy sleeves (from Germany) to replace the steel springs and sleeves.

I'd be very interested to find out where you obtained the springs from?

I'm going down the same route as you with my egg beaters, they're currently at 185g from 222g for the pair, after just changing the spindles.
  • Xgreygoose wrote:
    Also got hold of some custom Ti-springs and alloy sleeves (from Germany) to replace the steel springs and sleeves.

I'd be very interested to find out where you obtained the springs from?

I'm going down the same route as you with my egg beaters, they're currently at 185g from 222g for the pair, after just changing the spindles.

I got my springs and alloy sleeves custom made in Italy. You can buy the sleeves now from Robert at r2.de (really top bloke) :DHere But I don't know where to get the alloy sleeves. I will email some of my parts sellers and see if I can get a hold of them.

Originally 2ti eggbeaters
    DSC01193.jpg

2ti eggbeaters on a diet :D with a riders weight limit of 235lbs
    DSC01195.jpg
    DSC01194.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Rubbish. Seen better in my local Halfords.

Er, not really. That Flash shows there's life in the ole hardtail yet.

Jeckyl looks cool but it's a straight rip-off of a Genuis ( I realise it's the same designer btw)
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • Rubbish. Seen better in my local Halfords.

Er, not really. That Flash shows there's life in the ole hardtail yet.

Jeckyl looks cool but it's a straight rip-off of a Genuis ( I realise it's the same designer btw)

Thanks.
    You say the Jekyll is a straight rip-off of a Genuis, apart from the designer. What is similar? Details please.
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Adjustable pull shock is very similar to Scott's Equalizer.Faux bar linkage design and rear triangle very similar too.It's a lovely bike but if Peter Denk had stayed at Scott this bike would probably say Scott on it and not Cannondale. Plus why no Lefty?
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012