My Cannondale Team Flash Carbon Ultimate *NOV* Page 13

Comments

• wilko193
    wilko193 Posts: 89
    chick0 wrote:
    wilko193 wrote:
    That's true... Maybe i wasn't fair with that last comment :P

Weighing in at like 88kg and doing harder and faster riding - with not exactly faultless technique - means that leftys are not an option for me! :lol:

But they look really cool and i'm just a little bit curious

Hardcore "trail" riding is no problem for 140mm leftys. They are designed to compete with similar 140mm forks from Fox and RS, and have just as much ability, but at much lower weight, although it has to be said, the lefty cost alot more..
    The top of the range Lefty MAX Carbon PBR 140mm comes in at 1.2kg, but ( cough cough) costs about £1000 in the UK..

I'm 86kg, and tested an RZ-140 equipped with a carbon 140mm for 4 days earlier this year. As a previous sceptic i was shocked at how good it was. I even lapped the Laggen Black route a few times ( probably the most extreme centre route in the UK), and it handled it better then my Fox Floats do.

Would i upgrade to a lefty for my current rig ? nope, the after market price is way too expensive ..
    Would i buy a new bike already equipped with one? Definitely would consider it.. !

Ah well that definitely throwputs a different spin on things....

Seems like the PR might be true then.....

But I agree with the price thing though, it's pretty mad, and i think i could spend a k on slightly more productive things on my mountain bike :)
    Boardman Road Pro 2010
    Viper Carbon Lite 2008 Custom Build
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Thought you might appreciate this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKL3zDEc ... re=related

Not mine unfortunately!
  • Xgreygoose
    Xgreygoose Posts: 371
    edited June 2010
    Dirtydog11 wrote:

Not mine unfortunately!

Yep, saw that, very nice 8) . I believe that weight is without pedals.

Talking about pedals, I just tuned my Eggbeaters 2Ti from 223g to 151g. Pic's coming soon.
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
    Cannondale Flash Ultimate 2010
    Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2010
    Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2009
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Sorry, you probably answered this somewhere, but how are the Scrub rotors? I've been tempted by them a few times, although I don't think they'd suit the wet UK conditions!
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    Dirtydog11 wrote:

Not mine unfortunately!

Talking about pedals, I just tuned my Eggbeaters 2Ti from 223g to 151g. Pic's coming soon.

Yeah 7.2 kg but unverified, he's done a lighter build at 6.8kg but its looks incredibly fragile I would be frightened of breaking it.

I think there's a limit to how far you can go before durability becomes a major issue, I think that that 6.8kg build probably exceeds it.
  • chick0
    chick0 Posts: 338
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    Dirtydog11 wrote:

Not mine unfortunately!

Yeah 7.2 kg but unverified, he's done a lighter build at 6.8kg but its looks incredibly fragile I would be frightened of breaking it.

I think there's a limit to how far you can go before durability becomes a major issue, I think that that 6.8kg build probably exceeds it.

Depends on its intended usage. And Cannondale have a well renowned lifetime warranty policy on there frames, so no worry's there. But i do agree that some components maybe rather fragile. I would not be riding Laggen Black route on one of these builds ;)
  • Xgreygoose
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    Dirtydog11 wrote:

Not mine unfortunately!

The components that I see on his Flash can not have this weight. I am sure it is without pedals.

Anyway it isn't hard to get under 7kg but things will break (for sure) very easy :wink: .
    I have seen/know people that build bikes just to put it on a scale.(go figure) :?
    I see myself as a practical weight weenie. I want the lightest stuff but stuff that is not going to break ever time I go riding. And I weigh just under 200lbs (14stones) and their are certain components that I just can't or want to use. Also different riding conditions. Tires are a place you can save a ton of weight but some rubber you just can't use on wet, muddy conditions.
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • njee20
    Tires are a place you can save a ton of weight but some rubber you just can't use on wet, muddy conditions.
    Huh? You have Furious Freds or Maxxlite 285s in pictures though!?
  • Xgreygoose
    njee20 wrote:
    Sorry, you probably answered this somewhere, but how are the Scrub rotors? I've been tempted by them a few times, although I don't think they'd suit the wet UK conditions!

I tend to use Scrub rotors only on dry, dusty conditions. Very light and great only dry days.

They scream like hell in wet conditions also it doesn't help as you need to use organic pads. They wear out too fast in the wet.
    I think if I was back home (UK) my Scrub would be sitting at home most of the time :wink:

Still I am looking forward as I have order the new Raceday Scrub rotors which I should get in a couple of weeks.
    racedayscrubs.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • njee20
    Yes seen those, they look interesting, I just think it's too much to spend for something I'd never really use, considering the negligible weight savings really. I used to run the Stan's Aluminium rotors, and it was the same for those, just not really worth it in the wet.
  • Xgreygoose
    njee20 wrote:
    Tires are a place you can save a ton of weight but some rubber you just can't use on wet, muddy conditions.
    Huh? You have Furious Freds or Maxxlite 285s in pictures though!?

I only use these on dry days or paved paths. Sometime if I know there's abit rough terrain I switch my front tire to something like Maxxis Flyweight 330, Racing Ralph's, or even Rocket Rons. I do tend to keep my rear tire as light as possible. I only need grip up front.
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • njee20
    Yes ok, but my point was that you were putting down other people's bikes for being weighed with silly parts, like daft tyres, then you weigh yours with the lightest ones known to man!

The Fred's a great tyre (I'm not rich enough to want to spend several hundred quid on the Maxxlite 285 for UK use!), but it's a very light tyre with no grip, agree it can be used on the back in a variety of conditions, but it's not a great 'all rounder!'

The Ron is lighter than the Ralph too, seeing as that's clearly the intention (and it's achieved very well I should add), I'd ditch the Ralphs!
  • Xgreygoose
    njee20 wrote:
    Yes seen those, they look interesting, I just think it's too much to spend for something I'd never really use, considering the negligible weight savings really. I used to run the Stan's Aluminium rotors, and it was the same for those, just not really worth it in the wet.

Yes,for sure not worth it in the wet. I think the best all round light rotor are the new X2 hope floating rotors (79g for 160mm) or the Formula r1 floating rotors (85g for 160mm) or even the Alligator or Ashima AiRotor but I'm not a big fan of Sintered brake pads.
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Xgreygoose
    njee20 wrote:
    Yes ok, but my point was that you were putting down other people's bikes for being weighed with silly parts, like daft tyres, then you weigh yours with the lightest ones known to man!

The Fred's a great tyre (I'm not rich enough to want to spend several hundred quid on the Maxxlite 285 for UK use!), but it's a very light tyre with no grip, agree it can be used on the back in a variety of conditions, but it's not a great 'all rounder!'

The Ron is lighter than the Ralph too, seeing as that's clearly the intention (and it's achieved very well I should add), I'd ditch the Ralphs!

Huh!?? "putting down other people's bikes for being weighed with silly parts" What are you talking about! Sorry mate but I haven't put anyone down! :? :lol:

Yes, Fred's are a "good" tire. Better grip than the 285's but they puncture way too easy. You need to get the PSI spot on or risk several punctures in one day, this is why I prefer the Maxxis 285's. Grip is ok but at lease I've had no punctures with these tires. Plus the weight is spot on or under. Fred's can weigh between 315g to 340g. :shock: Ralphs are heavier but they have a better low rolling resistance than the Ron's.

njee20 have you ever tried 285's yourself?? Who said these tires are a great 'all rounder' :? And what LBS sell's Maxxlite 285 for several hundred quid? :? They only cost me US$74 or 50 pounds(plus 15%discount) http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping ... p?id=32929

Anyway enjoy your bike and your tires :wink: 8)
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Xgreygoose
    Here are my Eggbeaters 2ti that has gone on a diet :lol:

I changed the steel spindle to a Ti-Spindle which I got from Wade on Flea bay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT
    Also got hold of some custom Ti-springs and alloy sleeves (from Germany) to replace the steel springs and sleeves.
    Better than the (old style) 4ti eggbeaters plus I could never use them due to Crank brothers Max.weight limit.

Before the diet
    DSC01193.jpg

After diet 8)
    DSC01195.jpg
    DSC01194.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • njee20
    Yes, Fred's are a "good" tire. Better grip than the 285's but they puncture way too easy. You need to get the PSI spot on or risk several punctures in one day, this is why I prefer the Maxxis 285's. Grip is ok but at lease I've had no punctures with these tires. Plus the weight is spot on or under. Fred's can weigh between 315g to 340g. Shocked Ralphs are heavier but they have a better low rolling resistance than the Ron's.

285s are obviously cheaper in the US, £115 each here, just not worth it for me, considering how many times you can actually use a tyre like that!

Look at the quote I originally took from you, you said "Tires are a place you can save a ton of weight but some rubber you just can't use on wet, muddy conditions." Seems an odd comment considering you're using the lightest tyres on the market!

Are you not running tubeless? I find Freds go up really nicely, then you can run whatever pressure you want, I've never flatted mine.

Like the pedals, I run Wade's spindles in mine too, ti springs look good, seen those on Weight Weenies.

Anyway, why don't you swap to some Innolite XCC250 rims, lose another 160g there...
  • Xgreygoose
    njee20 wrote:
    Yes, Fred's are a "good" tire. Better grip than the 285's but they puncture way too easy. You need to get the PSI spot on or risk several punctures in one day, this is why I prefer the Maxxis 285's. Grip is ok but at lease I've had no punctures with these tires. Plus the weight is spot on or under. Fred's can weigh between 315g to 340g. Shocked Ralphs are heavier but they have a better low rolling resistance than the Ron's.

285s are obviously cheaper in the US, £115 each here, just not worth it for me, considering how many times you can actually use a tyre like that!
    Look at the quote I originally took from you, you said "Tires are a place you can save a ton of weight but some rubber you just can't use on wet, muddy conditions." Seems an odd comment considering you're using the lightest tyres on the market!
    Are you not running tubeless? I find Freds go up really nicely, then you can run whatever pressure you want, I've never flatted mine.
    Like the pedals, I run Wade's spindles in mine too, ti springs look good, seen those on Weight Weenies.
    Anyway, why don't you swap to some Innolite XCC250 rims, lose another 160g there...

Have you tried the 285's yourself? I think you would be pleasantly surprise that it isn't a bad tire but I guess it ALL depends on WHAT riding conditions YOU do and WHERE you are riding. :wink:

Don't like tubeless. Bad experiences with stan's plus I swap/change my tires all the time. I am currently using these. So far so good. 1000km+ and only one punture. 8)
    DSC01032.jpg

As I quoted before on my weight..........Innolite rims has a 80kg riders weight limit. Plus if I was to purchase another set of rims the EDGE Carbon Tubular would be a much better choice. My riding partner has a wheelset with these. Amazing rims!! Stiff and soild as. Very well made. But still I am very happy with my DT swiss XCR 1.2 ultimates and my ZTR Crest rims. :D

BTW njee20, do you have any post of your bike? Would like to see what you ride and what setup you use?
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • njee20
    Top Fuel 9.9

That was when I first built it, swapped to a SID, Egg Beaters for summer (they won't last a British winter, not worth the hassle!), some alu bolts etc. Comes in at 20.7 with a Ron/Fred combo, be good to get it sub-20, but frankly as I only keep the bike for one season I can't really be bothered to spend too much more on it, it's quick and reliable!

I've not tried the 285s, like I say they're just too expensive! I used to be sponsored by Maxxis, and had some 310s, they were crazy enough. I know some people say the 285s are actually grippier, but I have no issues with the Freds, they're cheaper, work really nicely tubeless and have more grip!

Just not sold on tubs for MTBs, particularly if you like to swap tyres! If I was going that route I'd probably go for the AX-Lightness rims anyway, slightly lighter than the Edge ones, and surprisingly for them, not crazy money either! I've been meaning to get some ZTR Race/Podium wheels for years, but always have something better to do with the money when it comes to it!
  • Xgreygoose
    My new Scrub Raceday Rotors came in the other day. Also came with a nice tin tray box :lol:
    DSC01261.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Xgreygoose
    Some new parts and some new wheels.
    I upgraded my brake to Formula R1's (White). I feel that they have power and modulation, plus I really like the feel of the R1's then my SRAM XX brakes

Wheelset: I wanted a stronger/stiffer but light carbon wheelset. I heard so many good thing about the Edge carbon rims. Also saw that Steve Peat was using the AM version, so they must be strong :D I almost went with Tubular rims but they had very limited tire choice but I'm happy with XC Clincher rim. I went with Tune Prince and Cannonball SL hubs with Sapim CX Aero spokes.

New weight of my Flash is 7.22kg :D This setup is for DRY day. If it was for wet condition, I would change my brake rotors to Hope X2 rotors and Schwalbe Racing Ralph(rear) and Rocket Rons (front) which would add another 290g to the Flash. I will post up that setup later. Anyway here are some photos

DSC01343.jpg
    DSC01340.jpg
    DSC01339.jpg
    DSC01338.jpg
    DSC01337.jpg
    DSC01351.jpg
    DSC01335.jpg
    DSC01349.jpg
    DSC01364.jpg
    DSC01353.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Those rotors are horrible!
  • njee20
    They may look horrible, but they are very light! Surprised you didn't get them with green bits though!

Nice wheels, sub in the Innolite rims and that'd be my perfect wheelset I reckon! Particularly as you're not gonna have to worry about trashing bearings in the mud!
  • Xgreygoose
    Andy wrote:
    Those rotors are horrible!

Well, I like them. Very Light and they go well with my new components :D
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    7.22kilos!!!! (that's just shy of 16lbs for anyone who doesn't do Kg) That bike is ridiculously light!

Right i'm off to find ways to make my lardy 24lb bike lighter!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Xgreygoose
    njee20 wrote:
    They may look horrible, but they are very light! Surprised you didn't get them with green bits though!

Nice wheels, sub in the Innolite rims and that'd be my perfect wheelset I reckon! Particularly as you're not gonna have to worry about trashing bearings in the mud!

I did get them with the green band (see photos).
    Innolite rims have a weight limit of 80kg. Not strong enough for me or my kind of riding. Was very happy with my DT swiss 190 XCR 1.2 carbon rims but just wanted a pair of stronger light carbon rims. The Edge XC rims has a rider's weight limit of 110kg which is super strong/stiff (I think) and the wheelset weighs in at 1240g 8)
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • njee20
    Innolite rims have a weight limit of 80kg. Not strong enough for me or my kind of riding.

Aye, you said above, I was just commenting! Unless you're a hell of a lot over 80kg I wouldn't have thought the rims would be the first part to break mind :-)
    the wheelset weighs in at 1240g

So they're heavier than your old ones!?

So you did, somehow missed the green bits in the photos! Shame they don't do them with the green carrier like they do the standard ones.
  • coxy17
    coxy17 Posts: 401
    very very nice bike
    any light and you will take off on the downhill setions
  • chick0
    chick0 Posts: 338
    This flash just gets better and better! I love the rotors, Edge wheels are great, very strong and have a great feel on the trail..
  • Xgreygoose
    njee20 wrote:
    Innolite rims have a weight limit of 80kg. Not strong enough for me or my kind of riding.

Aye, you said above, I was just commenting! Unless you're a hell of a lot over 80kg I wouldn't have thought the rims would be the first part to break mind :-)
    the wheelset weighs in at 1240g

So they're heavier than your old ones!?

So you did, somehow missed the green bits in the photos! Shame they don't do them with the green carrier like they do the standard ones.

Aye, no worriers. Yes the Innolite rims do look nice but you know what I've not heard or have anyone ever talk about these before. Have you use or know of anyone who has use these rims :?:

My old (still use) DT190 XCR 1.2 wheelset weighs around 1150g or less but I need to confirm this as I can't remember.

Yes, for sure the green carrier would have looked good. :D
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Xgreygoose
    chick0 wrote:
    This flash just gets better and better! I love the rotors, Edge wheels are great, very strong and have a great feel on the trail..

Hey chick0, How's the Rize doing? You know I was planning to get th1 RZ140 but I've already put in my order fro the new Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1 for those Epic rides you keep telling me to do :lol:
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9