BikeRadar Forum Spring Fling Ride

Comments

• Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    I'm wearing a mask.

And stopping messes with my legs.
  • Scrumple
    Oh, and as I am coming from nottm, i may try to sort out a share from us M1 siders - pm me?
  • Scrumple
    me again -

any weather updates for the weekend from you lot who live there would be appreciated.

Been wearing an LS craft baselayer and a gore windstopper softshell - bib longs.

After today's sun I thought about a windstopper gilet, arm warmers and a jersey, but there is still snow up there?! Perhaps stick with the 1st option???
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    edited March 2010
    Scrumple wrote:
    any weather updates for the weekend from you lot who live there would be appreciated.

In the morning, I get out of work (in the peak district) at 6:30am and manage just fine in a base layer and thin summer jersey with long sleeves, even in cold foggy damp conditions. It can be -3c at that time and the roads are not icy at all. I doubt it will be as extreme as this during the day time as there is an incredible difference between 6:30am and 8am as things warm up. Small showers are no worry. The only thing i'd be worried about is prolonged heavy rain.
  • Scrumple
    edited March 2010
    I have an assos climajet for showers.... monatne featherlite if it is awful, and a gore phantom if it buckets down.
    I'll bring them all an hope my car doesn't get screwed. Can't carry them all but I'll pack for any weather and select on the day....

I'll skip the sun cream.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,084
    Bhima wrote:
    Scrumple wrote:

In the morning, I get out of work (in the peak district) at 6:30am and manage just fine in a base layer and thin summer jersey with long sleeves, even in cold foggy damp conditions. It can be -3c at that time and the roads are not icy at all. I doubt it will be as extreme as this during the day time as there is an incredible difference between 6:30am and 8am as things warm up. Small showers are no worry. The only thing i'd be worried about is prolonged heavy rain.

Thats the summer for the peaks isn't it :)
  • I'm hoping for no rain. I'll probably be in bib tights & a long sleeve jersey. Weather here (Greater Manchester) has been ok for the past several days.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I might be there now, wheelers don't have anything apart from a intro ride on sunday so do 60 mile chaingang on sat then this on sun.
  • Scrumple
    ditch your buddies for you new mates.

no excuses, please.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    You guys will have to take it easy on me on Sunday. I have fcuk all fitness, and Sunday may turn into a 94 mile day.

Hopefully Wilhelm will tow me all of the way.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There will be a timed ascent of Crowdicote though...
  • redddraggon
    Didn't think you were coming?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    That's why there will be a timed ascent...
  • Scrumple
    fcuk all fitness....

you are lucky.

I have fcuk all. FACT
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I'm planning on racing on Saturday. And even though I will get dropped on the first lap... in the stories I tell all of you on Sunday - I led out the final sprint and won by two bike lengths. :)

Chances are pretty good that me and Ralph (that's what I've named my fake leg) will be comfortably bringing up the rear on Sunday.
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    Scrumple wrote:
    fcuk all fitness....

you are lucky.

I have fcuk all. FACT

You can't have as little as I have. I've only done about 200 miles this year, thanks to injuries and running getting in the way.
    I thought it was supposed to be a group gathering and social type ride. No-one gets dropped kind of thing?
  • Scrumple
    200 miles is like a world wide trip!

I've done about 3, and most of those were with stabilisers...

Ignore me, it is a social thing, just having some banter. I have done maybe 220 (2 x 50), and about 2 weeks of 22 miles a day 3 times. So your 200 looks ok to me!
  • Anonymous
    Bl00dy hell!

Is this a pre-ride excuse session or what!?! :o

I've done less than all of you and I broke my leg thricefold less than a year ago.
  • redddraggon
    I did 36miles around a Pond last night, to train for this.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Scrumple
    I did 40 star jumps
  • Anonymous
    I watched Will for, like, 20 minutes on the Computrainer, like, while eating a cheeseburger.
  • Scrumple
    whoooooaaaaa

whoooooop whoooooooop

need to update your facebook status. Mine says i just ate like a whole pie.
  • Ax
    Ax Posts: 36
    I'm tempted to come along and have a go at this.
    50+ miles is a bit more than I'm used to but I think/hope my legs are up to the challenge - I might need somebody to help me off the bike and in to the car at the finish though :wink: .
    Not got the all-clear from Mrs. Ax yet mind you so it may not happen for me.
    2005 Dawes Galaxy
    2008 Specialized Rockhopper Disc
    2009 Focus Variado Expert
  • Anonymous
    Ax wrote:
    I'm tempted to come along and have a go at this.
    50+ miles is a bit more than I'm used to but I think/hope my legs are up to the challenge - I might need somebody to help me off the bike and in to the car at the finish though :wink: .
    Not got the all-clear from Mrs. Ax yet mind you so it may not happen for me.

It's a slow steady ride - if anyone wants to race up hills they will be waiting at the top.

Plus, there is a cafe stop halfway round...
  • Scrumple
    Stopping seems to have the opposite effect on me to a rest. My legs seize.
  • Anonymous
    Scrumple wrote:
    Stopping seems to have the opposite effect on me to a rest. My legs seize.

You ride round the green near the cheese shop while others eat cake then...
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I'm sitting here reading this thread nearly wetting myself.

Scrumple - you are quality. Can't wait to meet you.
    NapD - even funnier. I am glad you aren't coming. I'm not sure I can handle another ride with you. You nearly killed me last time ;)
  • Scrumple
    Pokerface wrote:
    I'm sitting here reading this thread nearly wetting myself.

Easy....

You don't want Ralph getting rusty.