BikeRadar Forum Spring Fling Ride

Comments

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    The link for the route doesn't appear to work? :?

'Route or database no longer available'
    Cycling weakly
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    Scrumple wrote:
    After my first 2010 ride today, and some dry retching at the top of a hill...
    I may be washing my hair!

go on get on with it.....

you never regret a ride even ones where you are left to follow grovelling with drool and snot frothing out of your face..

it's the sort of kick start one needs to get back into it after what must be for everyone a season of thin winter millage

besides a lot of people are in the same boat

just grabbed 40 miles with a mate of mine this morning....

how would i describe it?

two old fat guys grovelling around a series of pretty insignificant hills and rises in essex

pretty much sums it up.... but faster than going out on my own the day before!

have fun guys.. i suspect the range of fitness and abilities will be pretty wide :D
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    If you read the rest of the thread, I've said I'm coming.
    That post was just me talking out loud. I rode again today and it was much better! It helped that I found my gloves and headband last night, though!
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    Scrumple wrote:
    If you read the rest of the thread, I've said I'm coming.
    That post was just me talking out loud. I rode again today and it was much better! It helped that I found my gloves and headband last night, though!

I'm never one to read through an entire thread if I come across something that nudges me towards the submit button

sounds like it will be a laugh
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,084
    sounds like it will be a laugh

I thought it was a training ride :lol:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Hi all - I haven't forgotten about this ride. Just been laid up the past few weeks with injury and sickness so haven't been too enthusiastic about cycling.

But rehab has started and I'm slowly working my way back to fitness. Will get the route finalised over the next week or so and post it so everyone can decide if they want to come or not!

Cheers all!
  • tlw1
    cheers - looking forward to it!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Right -

How's about this then folks -

Start at Macc station, ride down to Hartington for cafe stop (Cafe is on the left as you come in to Hartington, next door to a pub.) Back to Macc, includes the Crowdicote hairpins someone requested earlier in the thread.

Nice distance, nice hills. Stunning scenery!!

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Bikeradar-Spring-Fling
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    Looks grand to me. Loads of roads I've not cycled before.
  • Looks like a nice route, I'll know whether I'm ready for it nearer the date.
  • Anonymous
    Looks like a nice route, I'll know whether I'm ready for it nearer the date.

It's a fantastic route IMO with no silly steep climbs, lots of nice steady ones. I'm gutted that it's highly unlikely I'll be able to make it :(

Challenging but enjoyable. The scenery around Hartington takes your mind off the climbing anyway!
  • NapoleonD wrote:

It's a fantastic route IMO with no silly steep climbs, lots of nice steady ones. I'm gutted that it's highly unlikely I'll be able to make it :(

Challenging but enjoyable. The scenery around Hartington takes your mind off the climbing anyway!

Why is it unlikely you'll make it? Racing?
  • Anonymous
    NapoleonD wrote:

Why is it unlikely you'll make it? Racing?

Wife is most likely going to be working and unless I can get child care (unlikely) I'll be doing stuff with the kiddies.
  • Scrumple
    Can't they provide a food station?

I have a huge screw in thread I use for the dogs, to attach leads to. We could attach them to that to keep them safe, and they can hand out drinks and bananas.

Get them working, kids love it.
  • Anonymous
    Tbh, I'll probably have a great day with the kids.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Well, I'm out here working until the 16th Feb, so that's twice I've missed it due to work commitments... :cry:

Back to the gym bike, again!
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Anonymous
    hopper1 wrote:
    Well, I'm out here working until the 16th Feb, so that's twice I've missed it due to work commitments... :cry:

Back to the gym bike, again!

I thought it was 7th March?
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Ah.... Yes... Got ahead of myself, there.
    Still working, though... :(
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • tlw1
    I am still up for it, my kids day is the day before as the wife is shopping with her mates
  • bennj
    bennj Posts: 76
    Is there room for a slow unfit one?

What sort of pace will the ride be? just wondering if I will get dropped like a stone? :(

Cheers

Benn
    STOP!......... Carry on!

Roadie FCN 2
    when commuting FCN 5
    MTB FCN 10
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    bennj wrote:
    What sort of pace will the ride be?

Willhub will be pulling at the front at 24mph all day.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • bennj
    bennj wrote:

oh :shock:
    STOP!......... Carry on!

Roadie FCN 2
    when commuting FCN 5
    MTB FCN 10
  • Pokerface
    bennj wrote:
    bennj wrote:

oh :shock:

He was kidding.

Slow people are welcome.
  • bennj
    cool :D

in that case count me in, just let me know meeting place and a time sounds great!

Cheers

Benn
    STOP!......... Carry on!

Roadie FCN 2
    when commuting FCN 5
    MTB FCN 10
  • Scrumple
    I'm be riding with my stabilsers.

You;ll be fine.
  • Great route - thanks for the crowdicote! Definitely in, thinking of making a weekend of it so looking for a Saturday ride too - might stopover in the peaks, or might chicken out and just get a few miles under the rubber on the leafy cheshire lanes on the saturday and stop at home Saturday night. BTW - I will be using mudguards too!
    If I can feel the pain in my arse, I mustn't be hurting my legs enough.
  • Willhub will be pulling at the front at 24mph all day.

So it's not only NapD that will be child minding that day then?!
  • Pokerface
    Very good chance that I won't be able to make it to the ride I'm trying to organize!

My back is so messed up that it may takes months before I can get back on a bike.

So I'll just have to come along on the day in my 4x4 and pack the back up with cases of water and snacks for everyone. Be a rolling support vehicle!
  • Scrumple
    I hope the sun is out.

Bored of grit and grime.
  • Anonymous
    Pokerface wrote:
    Very good chance that I won't be able to make it to the ride I'm trying to organize!

My back is so messed up that it may takes months before I can get back on a bike.

So I'll just have to come along on the day in my 4x4 and pack the back up with cases of water and snacks for everyone. Be a rolling support vehicle!

Doh!!

I really really hope I can go.

I'm really chuffed with the route :(