BikeRadar Forum Spring Fling Ride

Comments

• Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Still wish Po Kerface would update the 1st post with the links, and details.

Somewhere in this thread is the route, and times, and stuff n things and sheete.

Where on the route are we meeting? And, is there a safe place to leave all the cars, without fear of oinks pilfering all my cycle spares hidden in the boot (I'll pack for a variety of weather).

Ideally, I'd prefer to meet more East on the route... and with somewhere secure to park or leave stuff.

I'd also like world peace and to swim with dolphins.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I'd ideally like somewhere to meet where I can cycle to. People driving can drive a bit further.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Scrumple wrote:

Somewhere in this thread is the route, and times, and stuff n things and sheete.

Where on the route are we meeting? And, is there a safe place to leave all the cars, without fear of oinks pilfering all my cycle spares hidden in the boot (I'll pack for a variety of weather).

Ideally, I'd prefer to meet more East on the route... and with somewhere secure to park or leave stuff.

I'd also like world peace and to swim with dolphins.

I think the best meeting place is Macc leisure centre personally... It's free parking and easily accessible.

But hey, it's not my ride!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Scrumple wrote:

1st post updated - just for you. Sorry about the route and meeting place. Still starts in Macc.
  • Pokerface
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I think the best meeting place is Macc leisure centre personally... It's free parking and easily accessible.

You're doing more for this ride than me!

Would you be so kind as to update the route you did to make the starting point the Leisure Centre. Excellent idea for a starting point.

I hadn't thought of people having to drive/park, etc.
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    NapoleonD wrote:

Sound very reasonable to me. There's also a lot of parking there.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    It would be a good test to do this and the Jodrell Bank Sportive the following week to get some early season miles under my belt on the new bike, so I would very much like to join in.

I do hope that will be ok for a relative newbie, lacking in the "Posts" (and Quad PowerTM) department?
  • Scrumple
    Mr Birkett.. I'm just as much a bike weakling as you.

We can be pathetic together at the rear. No gayness, however, please.

Thanks to Poke Yourface for the 1st post update - means I (we) can quickly see any significant changes.
    These little details are coming together, and I'm getting excited. First of many, I hope, as I have yet to ride any distance and with anyone else.

A bit sad.
  • Scrumple
    I have another excellent suggestion.

We should all write our bikeradar names on our foreheads in felt tip. Make the ice breaking easier.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Willhub will be pulling at the front at 24mph all day.

So it's not only NapD that will be child minding that day then?!

Now why would I need child minding?
  • Anonymous
    I've edited the route to reflect the new start point at Macc Leisure centre...

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Bikeradar-Spring-Fling
  • skinsey
    skinsey Posts: 105
    +1 for another rider if anyone's counting; as I live in Macc & don't ride with a club it seems daft not to.
  • Pokerface
    Well - I MAY actually make it now. Fingers crossed. Will have a much better idea after this weekend.
  • Anonymous
    How are you doing mate?
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,084
    Pokerface wrote:
    Well - I MAY actually make it now. Fingers crossed. Will have a much better idea after this weekend.

Great news
  • Pokerface
    NapoleonD wrote:
    How are you doing mate?

See my post above and ask me on Monday. ;)

(Don't want to jinx it)
  • This is very tempting but given the 5 hour drive (round trip) and my current levels of fitness i think i'm going to chicken out. Bit later in the year maybe!
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • Pokerface
    blinddrew wrote:
    This is very tempting but given the 5 hour drive (round trip) and my current levels of fitness i think i'm going to chicken out. Bit later in the year maybe!

I wouldn't worry about your fitness for this ride.

But the 5 hour drive would kinda suck.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Could be tempted, depending how the next couple of weekends go. Done very little lately due to weather.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Pokerface wrote:
    I wouldn't worry about your fitness for this ride.

But the 5 hour drive would kinda suck.

Yeah, the idea of driving 5 hours to ride a bike is a bit twisted. Will keep an eye on future runs though
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • Anonymous
    Did a recce of bits I didn't know today.

Was hit with all sorts of weather, it was like the beginning of Flash Gordon!

Crowdicote hairpins are awesome, looks ridiculous on approach (photo doesn't do it justice, you can see one of the sections running from middle left up to the right), it's tough but good.

I did a different climb out of Sutton too, think I'm going to change the route to do this as the scenery was utterly gorgeous, you miss this on the climb on there at the moment, plus it misses out a section of main road.

A good 5hrs in the saddle today I think!

Crowdicote hairpins -

Crowdicotehairpins120210.jpg
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Yes, that route near Sutton makes an excellent descent too, apart from that hairpin bend.

Looks like a good route that. If I can make it, it'll be a good 150km including getting to Macc & back!
  • Anonymous
    Bhima wrote:
    Yes, that route near Sutton makes an excellent descent too, apart from that hairpin bend.

Looks like a good route that. If I can make it, it'll be a good 150km including getting to Macc & back!

We'll be climbing it...
  • Pokerface wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    How are you doing mate?

(Don't want to jinx it)

So, how are you doing now? ;)
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    How are you doing mate?

(Don't want to jinx it)

Hey Andrew - thanks for asking. I'm back to full training now and feeling much better. Still have a sore shoulder/back at times, but managing to get out on my bike regularly.

I hope you'll make it to the ride again this time - you can show us all how much you've improved since last time!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,084
    good news!
  • Scrumple
    After my effort at 50 last week, I am worried.
    There were no hills, and it hurt!

But I'll be there.
  • Pokerface wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    How are you doing mate?

(Don't want to jinx it)

Hey Andrew - thanks for asking. I'm back to full training now and feeling much better. Still have a sore shoulder/back at times, but managing to get out on my bike regularly.

I hope you'll make it to the ride again this time - you can show us all how much you've improved since last time!

Glad to hear you're ok.

I should be able to make it, not done too many longer rides this year but will try one next weekend.
  • Pokerface
    Just over a week away now. Just bumping this thread to the top. All are welcome to come join for a ride in the peak next Sunday (March 7).

Will be checking again next week to see who is coming!