Social ride. 28th Feb. London.

Comments

• CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    DDD - Unfortunately as the start point (CP Park) is up a hill pretty much everyone who's coming will need to go over something to get there! Still the start should be fun heading down towards Beckenham :-D

Yep, the clues are in the names of the surrounding areas...Tulse Hill, Herne Hill, Sydenham Hill, Beckenham Hill, Harry Hill...well maybe not the last one

I'm keen to join this ride if newbies are welcome :P

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,206
    edited January 2010
    Yep, the start point is almost on top of the Crystal Palace hill so you will have to climb coming from any direction. Also anyone coming from Central London will have the added joy of the hill at Camberwell/Herne Hill, so we should all be nicely warmed up by time we get to CP :)

Ironically I am only coming from Beckenham so will climb then immediately go back down the way I came.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    I will try to come along to one of these, now that I have Harry, but cant make this one...
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I will need to climb up Streatham Common N or a road like it, which is a steep mother (f-you all who thinks London hasn't got any hills) and then again to get to Crystal Palace. I'm going to be knackered before the ride begins.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Yep, plenty of hills in SE London. One Tree Hill (like the TV programme) in Honor Oak is a bit of a killer - anyone tried that one?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    I will need to climb up Streatham Common N or a road like it, which is a steep mother (f-you all who thinks London hasn't got any hills) and then again to get to Crystal Palace. I'm going to be knackered before the ride begins.

I'm not so worried about the hill, more the distance and the fact I'll not know my way. so make for slow progress. it's a little over 15 miles, so with stops could take over a hour.

any cafes etc open nr start point?
  • Headhuunter
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I'm not so worried about the hill, more the distance and the fact I'll not know my way. so make for slow progress. it's a little over 15 miles, so with stops could take over a hour.

any cafes etc open nr start point?

Not sure specifically where we are meeting at Crystal Palace but there's Cafe St Germain and another cafe a couple of doors down on Crystal Palace Parade. That's where Dulwich Paragon and loads of other cyclists meet for rides into Kent every weekend. In fact we'll probably see other cyclists hanging around there. They do very nice croissants and pastries and a lovely breakfast. There's another cafe a couple of doors down which is v good too.
  • Stevo_666
    Not sure specifically where we are meeting at Crystal Palace but there's Cafe St Germain and another cafe a couple of doors down on Crystal Palace Parade. That's where Dulwich Paragon and loads of other cyclists meet for rides into Kent every weekend. In fact we'll probably see other cyclists hanging around there. They do very nice croissants and pastries and a lovely breakfast. There's another cafe a couple of doors down which is v good too.

Start point is a little way down Anerley Hill from the parade. Those places are probably the closest for a spot of brekky.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Headhuunter
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Start point is a little way down Anerley Hill from the parade. Those places are probably the closest for a spot of brekky.

So get there early, ride to the top of Anerley Hill for brekky, then back down a bit to meet for the ride. Unless we make one of the cafes the start point....
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    (I should probably read the thread of course, but)
    What time would ye be thinking of starting the ride from?
    If I was free that weekend I might think about a day trip to London for a bike ride...
  • Stevo_666
    So get there early, ride to the top of Anerley Hill for brekky, then back down a bit to meet for the ride. Unless we make one of the cafes the start point....
    Sounds like a plan - get to the cafe at the parade for say 9.30 (easy for us locals) and get some fuel/ballast. It's only a minute or two down the hill to the start.
  • Stevo_666
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    (I should probably read the thread of course, but)
    What time would ye be thinking of starting the ride from?
    If I was free that weekend I might think about a day trip to London for a bike ride...
    10.00am mate
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Sounds like a plan - get to the cafe at the parade for say 9.30 (easy for us locals) and get some fuel/ballast. It's only a minute or two down the hill to the start.

that was my idea, so I could get a coffee/bun and pee break. as if I did come I'd need to give myself time in hand.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    DonDaddyD wrote:

There are worse hills in Kent, one side of Biggin hill is particularly challenging. Not sure if the planned route goes up that one but if anyone tells you Kent is flat they are lying.
  • Headhuunter
    amnezia wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

There are worse hills in Kent, one side of Biggin hill is particularly challenging. Not sure if the planned route goes up that one but if anyone tells you Kent is flat they are lying.

Try Yorks Hill or Toys Hill. One side of Toys is very tough. Yorks is 15-20% but it's relatively short and sharp, Toys just goes on and on and on...
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    amnezia wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Try Yorks Hill or Toys Hill. One side of Toys is very tough. Yorks is 15-20% but it's relatively short and sharp, Toys just goes on and on and on...

I think the 60 mile route goes near Toys Hill. I'll also be happy (said whilst sitting in a nice warm house and not gasping for air......) to lead a small diversion for any sadists who want to take on Titsey Hill and/or Whites Lane on the return leg :-) Whites Lane is particularly nasty, with a nice kick up at the top :P

@DDD - Not having been out round this part of Kent on the bike but briefly in the car I shouldn't imagine we'll find any much worse then what we encountered on the ML
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    amnezia wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I've been up Toys Hill.

Golly, how the mighty are fallen. :oops:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Bunch of pu$$ies complaining about London hills. MTFU people, I've had 3 months off the damn bike and you don't see me complaining! The only way to get better at hills is to ride more hills - surely this is part of the point of the social rides, part of the reason they were suggested in the first place?

:twisted:
  • Stevo_666
    Bunch of pu$$ies complaining about London hills. MTFU people, I've had 3 months off the damn bike and you don't see me complaining! The only way to get better at hills is to ride more hills - surely this is part of the point of the social rides, part of the reason they were suggested in the first place?

The clue is above :wink:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Stevo 666 wrote:

The clue is above :wink:

Well yes and no. Not being tongue in cheek (for once) the original idea was to give people who might not want to get out on their own/don't no good routes, the opp to get out of London on their bikes and test themselves a little bit by riding further, and climbing a bit more - with the rules that it's not too fast, no one gets dropped and everyone enjoys themselves. I reckon we can manage that.

:D
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736

+1. I hate climbing. Therefore I make a point of regularly riding hills on my weekend rides. There's a little bugger at Chalton near Waterlooville, 12 miles or so north of me- very short but must be 25-30%. It's beaten me a couple of times, but I'll keep having a go until I make it up in one piece!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Stevo_666
    Well yes and no. Not being tongue in cheek (for once) the original idea was to give people who might not want to get out on their own/don't no good routes, the opp to get out of London on their bikes and test themselves a little bit by riding further, and climbing a bit more - with the rules that it's not too fast, no one gets dropped and everyone enjoys themselves. I reckon we can manage that.

I was emphasising the social more for my own reasons - first time out for me on something like this with a bunch of die hard, mile munching roadies. The 'no-one gets dropped' rule is very handy as it saves me preparing the predictable bevvy of excuses :D
  • Coriander
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I was emphasising the social more for my own reasons - first time out for me on something like this with a bunch of die hard, mile munching roadies. The 'no-one gets dropped' rule is very handy as it saves me preparing the predictable bevvy of excuses :D

I went on the slowcial and I was light years slower than anyone else, but everyone was extremely patient and generous, waiting at the top of every hill for me without a single grumble or sarcastic comment.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Coriander wrote:
    [I went on the slowcial and I was light years slower than anyone else, but everyone was extremely patient and generous, waiting at the top of every hill for me without a single grumble or sarcastic comment.

I'll be testing that at some point this year :twisted:

not deliberately, I assure you. Hopefully will have done some 'warm-up' London rides beforehand :praying:
  • DonDaddyD
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Coriander wrote:
    [I went on the slowcial and I was light years slower than anyone else, but everyone was extremely patient and generous, waiting at the top of every hill for me without a single grumble or sarcastic comment.

not deliberately, I assure you. Hopefully will have done some 'warm-up' London rides beforehand :praying:

To be honest, if you're after a group ride the best ones are the ones that leave London.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Cafewanda
    @ DDD - True, but as I am Wanda no-mates when it comes to cycling I think it would be a good idea if I 'cruise' London on a bike for more than the 35 mins each way per day I currently do, before joining one of the rides.

Besides which Balham Hill is the only 'hill' I climb on a regular basis :roll:
  • Coriander
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Coriander wrote:

If you go, I will too.

Am not going on this social ride as am too slow.
  • Cafewanda
    Deal!

Not going on this one as I can't handle winters. April onwards and I complain less about the weather :wink:
  • DonDaddyD
    You are both wimps and need to come along.

Corrie you were fine on the Slowcial. Besides this ride has many in attendance of varying speeds and distances to accomodate all.

I'll be at the back going up hills, until I see a flat where it'll be sprint sprint sprint.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Coriander
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    You are both wimps and need to come along.

Corrie you were fine on the Slowcial. Besides this ride has many in attendance of varying speeds and distances to accomodate all.

I'll be at the back going up hills, until I see a flat where it'll be sprint sprint sprint.

Thanks, that's very sweet of you, DDD, but, if you can possible conceive of this, I am even slower now than I was in the summer! :shock: :shock: :shock: Two months of bronchitis has seen to that.

Also, although you were all very kind and patient, I felt dreadful at holding you up so much. So am working on my fitness and hope to get faster. Just about April, in fact!

Also, I'm not sure anyone else is doing the 40 mile ride. And, as someone who got lost in Greenwich Park the other day, there's no way I'd trust myself to find my way round the route on my own.