Social ride. 28th Feb. London.

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    provisonally i am in, will have to see if i can get the miles in between then and now and if anything major comes up
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    NB there is a large hill (the clue's in the name of the pub location) you have to go up straight after lunch. Sorry about that.

It'll be like Wales all over again :-) Mind you it was the climb first thing on the Sunday morning that blew the cobwebs away :lol:

Remember thinking 'thought this was supposed to be a gentle day?' !!!! I have at least got the knack of climbing on the Viner now.....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    ah i see there are varying lengths of rides, well seeing as i'll be coming from Barnet i'll be doing the 40miler as i will need to get there and home... assuming i come
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Sewinman wrote:
    OK, will be at the cafe at 1.00pm, will hang about for 5 mins, see you if i see you.

DDD - you interested?

Alreet. Will aim for 1.

I've had a change of plans, weather willing I'll be aiming to get to the Cafe at Roehampton Gate for 1 as well.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    OK, will be at the cafe at 1.00pm, will hang about for 5 mins, see you if i see you.

DDD - you interested?

Alreet. Will aim for 1.

I've had a change of plans, weather willing I'll be aiming to get to the Cafe at Roehampton Gate for 1 as well.

See you there dude, scalps don't count in RP btw...
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

DDD - you interested?

Alreet. Will aim for 1.

DDD, quick, now's the time to beat IP in that sprint race you planned ages ago! Take the chance while it's there!

;)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

DDD - you interested?

Alreet. Will aim for 1.

Can I smell fear?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • For the avoidance of doubt, all the rides are identical until Four Elms - the 25 mile mark.
    And all rides are identical after the pub.
    See page 3 of this thread for all the links.

At Four Elms you have the choice of :
    2 miles to the pub if you're on the 45 mile version.
    Or about 15 miles if you're doing the 60.
    or 30 if you're doing the 80

So people can decide at that point if they'd rather bail and have a extra long sit down in the pub.

NB there is a large hill (the clue's in the name of the pub location) you have to go up straight after lunch. Sorry about that.

Genius. So I can totally cop out... ;)

Good work Livs, I'll even forgive you for the post-lunch hill.

Have received rollers as compensation for getting older. Any suggestions on how to not fall off and die?
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    What's this about older? Have we missed summat or somfink?
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    _Brun_ wrote:
    What's this about older? Have we missed summat or somfink?
    If you cared, you'd have remembered that today (yesterday? Saturday!) was Lit's birthday.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Clever Pun wrote:
    There are some great rides out into the kent hills and some lovely pubs with nice ales too - various extension loops possible to account for faster / more enthusiastic folk available.

So...
    45 mile ride
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... /255665573

60 mile version
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 4481345359

80 mile version
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 6244316199

Proposed lunch spot would be Crookham Hill. Fab pub. I forget the name of it but there's only one. Different groups could set out on different distances, with the aim of meeting at the pub at x time.

I know those roads a little better from my forays with Dulwich Paragon, although I still have a crap sense of direction so wouldn't be sure about leading a ride!

+2 south central starting point and a known quality pub... bonus

Sounds good to me, although the use of the word 'hill' fills me with horror in my current incredibly unfit state! I've never been out into kent before...

Kents pretty flat to be honest - I started from nearly scratch last year and now lead rides round Kent . I can get p any hill in Kent - just don;t expect me to be all that fast.

anyway - I'm up for a ride in Kent!

btw - only just discovered this thread. Reading thorough it slowly even though my net connection is e.x.t.r.e.m.e.l.y. s.l.o.w. 40 miles suits me for now wherever the ride ends up being...as long as i don't have to get out of bed too early.

My only target this year is to be able to cycle 120 miles of Dunwich Dynamo in July so 40 miles in February will be just fine.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    There are definitely some pretty harsh hills in Kent, you've obviously avoided them. I can't remember all their names though. There's a 1 in 25 or 30 hill somewhere near Downe, if I remember correctly, although I could be completely wrong on the location and what about Yorks/Yorkes Hill? There are quite a few others. Try heading out on a Sunday training ride with Dulwich Paragon, depending on who's there, those rides seem to actively seek out the hills.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    There are definitely some pretty harsh hills in Kent, you've obviously avoided them. I can't remember all their names though. There's a 1 in 25 or 30 hill somewhere near Downe, if I remember correctly, although I could be completely wrong on the location and what about Yorks/Yorkes Hill? There are quite a few others. Try heading out on a Sunday training ride with Dulwich Paragon, depending on who's there, those rides seem to actively seek out the hills.

You're absolutely right of course - but most of it is pretty gentle - i've encountered the odd hill - but nothing insurmountable - it's not exactly the Alps. :wink:
  • il_principe
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

DDD - you interested?

Alreet. Will aim for 1.

At RP, are these 2 gonna show I wonder? Misery loves company. Damn it's good to be back though. The new Mannaggia jacket is super toasty.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    gauntlet.jpg

:lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    There's a 1 in 25 or 30 hill...
    I think you've got a little mixed up there.
  • Good news I got the job, so this should not be an problem. Now to get some more miles on the clock as well as getting my chain shortened to take a 13t at the rear :twisted:

I am up for the 60mile route, just got to make sure I have enough food with me, I eat like a bleeding horse most the time :P
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • Hey that's starting off just round the corner from me. I'm in! Haven't read the whole thread but up for any Kent rides that start at Crystal Palace.
  • I want to break my duck for my first social ride as well so count me in.
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • Hey that's starting off just round the corner from me. I'm in! Haven't read the whole thread but up for any Kent rides that start at Crystal Palace.

Shoulder, you owe me a tenner! Bring it to the social!
  • How is that solely through using this website that it ends up costing me money. First there was the whole "Let's thank the stats man" shake-me-down etc. etc. etc.

I thought the whole point about the internet was that it is FREE! And that you are able to make whatever promises you like and no-one can hold you to them!

Anyway, I bet someone ate my curry, did you ever think of that? What about that freeloader, who's dinner I am subsidising, why don't you go and chase them?

Gulp! Actually re-reading your message has me slightly scared...

Ack. Gad. OK you got me. I owe you a tenner.
  • il_principe
    How is that solely through using this website that it ends up costing me money. First there was the whole "Let's thank the stats man" shake-me-down etc. etc. etc.

I thought the whole point about the internet was that it is FREE! And that you are able to make whatever promises you like and no-one can hold you to them!

Anyway, I bet someone ate my curry, did you ever think of that? What about that freeloader, who's dinner I am subsidising, why don't you go and chase them?

Thanks for the Curry though, it was yummy.
  • How is that solely through using this website that it ends up costing me money. First there was the whole "Let's thank the stats man" shake-me-down etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for the Curry though, it was yummy.

Thanks for owning up 'ppreciate it - just pay the tenner directly to LiT.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    How is that solely through using this website that it ends up costing me money. First there was the whole "Let's thank the stats man" shake-me-down etc. etc. etc.

Bussssttttteddddd by the hot chick with the 'real' hair :lol:

Pay up dude :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • :lol::lol:

I'll send the boys round...

Anyone want to be the boys?
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    :lol::lol:

I'll send the boys round...

Anyone want to be the boys?

teamPhoto1.jpg

Their certainly packing something.........;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    I was thinking about this ride and thinking about ways of getting to Crystal Palace from Wimbledon. No matter what angle I attack from I'm going to encounter a b*tch of a hill.

So, this ride, the hills/climbs are we talking the las Slowcial ride I attended when we went through Surrey but managed to avoid the hills. Or are we talking Wiltshire. Or worse (is that even possible).
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    DDD - Unfortunately as the start point (CP Park) is up a hill pretty much everyone who's coming will need to go over something to get there! Still the start should be fun heading down towards Beckenham :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    DDD - Unfortunately as the start point (CP Park) is up a hill pretty much everyone who's coming will need to go over something to get there! Still the start should be fun heading down towards Beckenham :-D

'True that'!

And Beckenham should be down hill, promptly greeted with a uphill (if memory serves) but the degree of these hills, so I'm mentally prepared, are they more Wiltshire, or Surrey (which you can't answer having not been there on that ride).

It doesn't help that I have a dinner party the day before.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778

yeah I'll have earned that hill coming from that way

Lit I can be sent round places to sort people out :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14