Social ride. 28th Feb. London.

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    that just depends on how many beers in all honesty.. getting up the hill might be good enough
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    edited February 2010
    Clever Pun wrote:
    that just depends on how many beers in all honesty.. getting up the hill might be good enough

Well, it's carbs, right.....;)

17 mph average pre-lunch should be doable for me. Did 14 miles in 50 mins Sunday before last, in 55 (with a headwind) this past Sunday, both without anything isotonic (my rides on dailymile are all door-to-door times, so they include bits I have to walk, level crossings, etc). So reasonably confident I shouldn't hold anyone up too much. If I do, can always bail at the 25 mile mark and head to the pub from there.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • only thing I am slightly iffy on are these hills, if the worst comes to the worst I will flip my wheel round and run a 16t free wheel instead of my 13t set up :D

17mph is more than reasonable for me, managed to keep a 20ish mph speed up over a 22 mile ride at the weekend, average was 14mph after all the hills and all the stopping at starting.

tis gonna be a good ride, hopefully I will have my new drops by then :D

hopefully no one will be offended by my eating habits..... I just cant help it I LOVE FOOD
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I just plan to ride my bike and keep up with the slowest rider, which may just be me. I generally pedal around 17-19mph, throw in hills and inclines and I don't know what my average would be. U
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Where's the pub??

I am bang up for a quick sixty - please put me on the first page.

I am seeing Elvis at the O2 at 6.30pm so I think the 80 might be pushing it a bit as I am meant to be going to a liquid lunch before that...
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Hang on, whats all this reasonable speeds thing about. We're men, on an internet forum. Shouldn't the claims be up to 32mph, but only if it's hilly, by now? :D
  • Retch
    Retch Posts: 78
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    Hang on, whats all this reasonable speeds thing about. We're men, on an internet forum. Shouldn't the claims be up to 32mph, but only if it's hilly, by now? :D

32?

MTFU.
    FCN 5ish. Unless hungover.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Coriander wrote:
    when did it creep by stealth to 45 miles?

It never crept anywhere :-)

Here's the 3 routes as suggested by LondonLivvy:

45 mile ride
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... /255665573

60 mile version
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 4481345359

80 mile version
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 6244316199

Just so any late joiners can have a check over - DDD, could you add these links to 1st post and update attendees list?

Updated.

could you add yours truly to the possibles.

45 prob, maybe 60, though that would be close on 100 miles for the day. hence 45 more likely.

and I'm out, sister is bringing wee one around that sunday so much as as social ride is tempting I do like my family more!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Where's the pub??

I am bang up for a quick sixty - please put me on the first page.

I am seeing Elvis at the O2 at 6.30pm so I think the 80 might be pushing it a bit as I am meant to be going to a liquid lunch before that...

I'm not quite sure how to break this to you but...

elvis-presley-is-dead.jpg
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Since people are getting their excuses in, I'm out cos of the league cup final taking precedence.

I was wracking my brains trying to work out why that date rang a bell. I also will be unavailable. Also, I've barely put any miles in my knees since the snow left and I'm hideously unfit, so even the 45 would probably be pushing it.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • Anyone going asides from LondonLivvy familiar with the pub we are headed to for lunch?
    Is it going to be able to accommodate 20 cyclists + our bikes?
    I have a small combination lock which I can stow under the saddle pack which might be able to wrap round to secure a couple of bikes together (or just mine depending on what mood I'm on when I get to the pub ;-))
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • stuaff
    Having had a look at the map and the train times, it looks like the easiest option for me is to join the peloton outside CP station (you lot are all going that way anyway), as the most convenient train (via East Croydon) gets in there at 9.58. Unless someone fancies meeting me at Clapham Junction and riding over?
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,206
    Anyone going asides from LondonLivvy familiar with the pub we are headed to for lunch?
    Is it going to be able to accommodate 20 cyclists + our bikes?
    I have a small combination lock which I can stow under the saddle pack which might be able to wrap round to secure a couple of bikes together (or just mine depending on what mood I'm on when I get to the pub ;-))
    Not familiar with the pub but its out in the sticks so we probably don't need 3kg Kryptonite locks - I was planning on bringing my crappy spare lock that I picked from Center Parcs as the alternative is dragging round a heavy lump of metal for 45 miles....
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Not familiar with the pub but its out in the sticks so we probably don't need 3kg Kryptonite locks - I was planning on bringing my crappy spare lock that I picked from Center Parcs as the alternative is dragging round a heavy lump of metal for 45 miles....

This lock is relatively small and fits nicely under the Specialized saddle pack (wrap the velcro straps around 2/3 coils) Doesn't weigh but and can't say I noticed it when I had it on the bike for the Capital-to-Coast last year :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • il_principe
    Dibs on a lock share then please! I only have my Kryptonite and I'm not lugging that bad boy around.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,206
    Dibs on a lock share then please! I only have my Kryptonite and I'm not lugging that bad boy around.
    Happy to share if you don't mind your nice bike being locked up next to a 'burd's' hybrid :wink: Actually that's good for me as mine is then less likely to get half inched :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • il_principe
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Happy to share if you don't mind your nice bike being locked up next to a 'burd's' hybrid :wink: Actually that's good for me as mine is then less likely to get half inched :D

Cheers! Although I doubt the nice bike will make an appearance given the weather.

In fact if it's raining on the day I will not be making an appearance, I'm getting rather bored of riding in the rain.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Cheers! Although I doubt the nice bike will make an appearance given the weather.

In fact if it's raining on the day I will not be making an appearance, I'm getting rather bored of riding in the rain.

translation: Road water stains my pretty clothes
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • stuaff
    The Viner will be making an appearance. Must clean all the manure off it some time....
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    Is this open to (forum) newbies? My brother (who posts as "davis") and I fancy the idea of a social (and sociable?) ride away from our usual haunt (Sussex). If we're welcome, count us in for the 45 miler.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    I suck at this cycling thing, I really do. Today proved that.

So, to spare myself the mortification of the public humiliation and to allow others to get round the course before it turns dark, I will not come.
  • Retch
    Coriander wrote:

So, to spare myself the mortification of the public humiliation and to allow others to get round the course before it turns dark, I will not come.

It'd be a real shame if anyone felt they couldn't come because of speed or fitness: it's a social ride not le Tour :)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Norky,

All are welcome. Read through the thread to gauge whether this is something for you.

Corriander, come on... I'll see you Sat 28th, Crystal Palace.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • stuaff
    Retch wrote:
    Coriander wrote:

It'd be a real shame if anyone felt they couldn't come because of speed or fitness: it's a social ride not le Tour :)

+1. There will be no humiliation. Or else. Come anyway.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Coriander wrote:

L-i-T will be there, and she'll be hungover, so you'll be fine.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Norky,

All are welcome. Read through the thread to gauge whether this is something for you.

Corriander, come on... I'll see you Sat 28th, Crystal Palace.

No you won't the 28th is a Sunday ;-)
    Must clean the bike tomorrow, last weeks Sunday ride + cr4p weather this week means the drivetrain is shot to pieces..........
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • stuaff
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    Coriander wrote:

L-i-T will be there, and she'll be hungover, so you'll be fine.

Well, LiT was making excuses too....I'm sure I speak for everyone else when I say I hope both ladies honour us with their presence. The more the merrier!
  • Dudes...

I'm so not going to be there.

This won't be a manageable hangover, the kind you can ride with, this will be the kind that requires you to remain horizontal.

So unless someone can lend me a 'bent, I'm out.

Sorry.
  • Retch
    Dudes...

This won't be a manageable hangover, the kind you can ride with, this will be the kind that requires you to remain horizontal.

Sorry.

To be honest LiT, we were just hoping you'd come still decked out for a night at School Disco :wink:
  • stuaff
    Dudes...

Sorry.

Ho hum....hope you have a good night!