Social ride. 28th Feb. London.

Comments

• This is on my doorstep practically so I'm in.

UNLESS IT RAINS.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Clever Pun wrote:
    StuAff wrote:
    Clever Pun
    StuAff

I know ain't that quick, but I want to keep doing 60 mile+ runs as prep for L2P in September. That'll be 120+ for the weekend (L2B Friday night). And I'm not that slow either....Apart from that, 40 miles seems a little short for the effort of getting to CP and back....

I was intending on this being a quicker ride... you're welcome obviously just so you know.

My idea was to get to the pub the same time as the 20 milers

Point taken, naturally...like I say, I want the mileage and want to make the day worth my while for riding as well as splendid company. If I do end up holding the Speedy Gonzales brigade up, there is at least a handy bail out in the form of the B269. I (and anyone else who gets knackered!) can just go back on that one, either head off to the pub on my own or tag along with the slowcoaches- in the worst case, unlikely, catch them up..... I can't imagine DDD's 'preferred commuter speed' of 19 mph being an average, frankly, so that shouldn't happen.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    If you want an alternative to the L2B try the Capital to Coast. Another charity ride of comparable length but much quieter. I've done it the last 2 years and even without starting in the crazy early hours I was never forced to walk any of the hills do to the sheer number or riders!

Just has a look at that route, depending on where we stop and if we have anyone interested, I can lead a small diversion from that route to take in an alternative climb (Titsey Hill, rated at 16% but you can divert up a short and nasty one half way up there!) from about point 28-31. The route as it takes you up a much nicer and gentle climb (which I can down last time, that was great fun!)32-33 is a great ride into and out of a valley IIRC from last time I went for a ride out that way :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • The way the routes are, currently, it's 25 miles to the pub on the 44 mile route and 40 miles to the pub on the 60 mile route - so as CP suggests, it might be realistic for a faster group to get to the pub at a similar time. Those doing the 80 would have 55 before lunch so they'll have to get a shifty on....

NB I have route cards for all the routes (no fancy garmins here, just a bit of geekdom) if that helps and someone wants to do the 55 and allow a bit more time.

Bassjunkie - like the sound of that diversion. I've done these routes A LOT and good to learn new ones!
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    This is starting to sound like fun! The diversion can re-join the main group easily. I'd personally also like another crack at Titsey as last time I attempted it they where resurfacing the road so I had the fist section before the climb starts being pinged by horrid little stones kicked up by cars and then caught the temp lights so I had to start again and clip in (without flopping over) in a low gear :-)

Looking at these routes they certainly look like some I was considering trying last year but had to shelve as I was only given a couple of hours riding time, I remember wanting to try and head down some of the route towards Hever Castle as it was nice country roads with some hills :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • This is starting to sound like fun!

Don't worry if I come, that'll soon change :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    The way the routes are, currently, it's 25 miles to the pub on the 44 mile route and 40 miles to the pub on the 60 mile route - so as CP suggests, it might be realistic for a faster group to get to the pub at a similar time. Those doing the 80 would have 55 before lunch so they'll have to get a shifty on....
    NB I have route cards for all the routes (no fancy garmins here, just a bit of geekdom) if that helps and someone wants to do the 55 and allow a bit more time.

Bassjunkie - like the sound of that diversion. I've done these routes A LOT and good to learn new ones!

The 80 seems like fun, sod the fixie it's time to bring out the gears and crank it up a bit. Is anyone else up for something a bit faster :lol:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Rich158 wrote:
    The way the routes are, currently, it's 25 miles to the pub on the 44 mile route and 40 miles to the pub on the 60 mile route - so as CP suggests, it might be realistic for a faster group to get to the pub at a similar time. Those doing the 80 would have 55 before lunch so they'll have to get a shifty on....

The 80 seems like fun, sod the fixie it's time to bring out the gears and crank it up a bit. Is anyone else up for something a bit faster :lol:

The mind is willing but the body is in no shape. I think 80 miles might be overkill, but I'm back on the bike from Monday so will see where I am in a month or so!
  • I am going the Fixed route as well (well might be using the SS side depending on how i feel - and how much time i get on the fixed side before hand).

Might be starting a new job which requires 5 weeks training, possibility of the training centre being way out of london, interviews next week so should be able to update you all on whether its going to happen for me of not in 2-3 weeks or so.

Aiming to do 100miles (each way rides in the summer months) to family in Harwich then back to London mainly on the bank holiday weekends so I get a days rest. so this should be good for getting me ready to do some serious (for me at least) distances :P
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • No idea which length to go for but pretty sure I wouldn't have the gears (let alone the legs) to cope with the 80 on the cannon. If there are 3 groups the 60 sounds more than possible...
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'm lost as to what is going.

3 routes of varying distance.

40mile ride
    60mile ride
    80mile ride

To my understanding the 40mile route is the social ride where people are prepared to wait. Managable pace.

The 60mile ride is the fast ride. Not sure what the etiqutte is for this ride.

80mile, if people are doing this then I suspect, there will be no waiting and pretty darn fast. Nearly twice as fast as the slow ride* if there is any hope of getting to the pub at the same time.

*I can see a race forming between the 40mile and 80mile rides to see who can get to the pub first. :twisted:

It would be interesting to know what rides (distance) people are intending to do. (Could you post your intention please?)

Is it wrong to want to ride alongside people who ride at you own pace?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • stuaff
    DonDaddyD wrote:

40mile ride
    60mile ride
    80mile ride

To my understanding the 40mile route is the social ride where people are prepared to wait. Managable pace.

80mile, if people are doing this then I suspect, there will be no waiting and pretty darn fast. Nearly twice as fast as the slow ride* if there is any hope of getting to the pub at the same time.

*I can see a race forming between the 40mile and 80mile rides to see who can get to the pub first. :twisted:

It would be interesting to know what rides (distance) people are intending to do. (Could you post your intention please?)

Well, I'm not confused, and CP & I are down for the 60 mile list....
    40 miles- social
    60 miles- faster social. Still manageable...
    80 miles- nutters, respectfully :)

And yes, I want to ride alongside people at my pace. ....
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    StuAff wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

40mile ride
    60mile ride
    80mile ride

Well, I'm not confused, and CP & I are down for the 60 mile list....
    40 miles- social
    60 miles- faster social. Still manageable...
    80 miles- nutters, respectfully :)

And yes, I want to ride alongside people at my pace. ....

I intend on completing the 40 miles to the pub before the 25's get there...
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • I was looking at the combination of distance and bikes - and general speed banter from other threads to guess that el zippo the ginge rocket will do all three routes and still get to the pub before he got up that morning.
    The fittest long distancers/trainers will do the 80
    The 60 will be reasonably - 15-17 mph avg and the
    The 40 will be those not wanting to push it but still have fun etc.

So I want to push it and have reasonable enough gears (I think) so going for the 60.
  • Rich158
    I was looking at the combination of distance and bikes - and general speed banter from other threads to guess that el zippo the ginge rocket will do all three routes and still get to the pub before he got up that morning.
    The fittest long distancers/trainers will do the 80
    The 60 will be reasonably - 15-17 mph avg and the
    The 40 will be those not wanting to push it but still have fun etc.

So I want to push it and have reasonable enough gears (I think) so going for the 60.

I'm up for the 80 mile route at a decent pace if there's a few other nutters who want to form a group, otherwise I'll do the 60 fixed :wink: I'll be looking to go at about 19-20mph ave on the 80 if we can get a chain gang going :lol:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • MM, I'm with you, CP and Stuaff on the reasonably paced 60.

Unless of course my new bike suddenly morphs me into Victoria Pendleton in which case I'll be joining Rich and IP on the 80 mile speed run.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    nice work if you can keep that pace for 55 miles Rich good on you

being realistic in a group I reckon 17 is more than achievable for the 40 miles to the pub
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DonDaddyD
    All these speeds get me confused.

Obviously those on the 80miler won't be waiting if someone gets dropped.

Will the same apply to the 60miler?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    MM, I'm with you, CP and Stuaff on the reasonably paced 60.

Unless of course my new bike suddenly morphs me into Victoria Pendleton in which case I'll be joining Rich and IP on the 80 mile speed run.

Where did I say I was doing the 80 :shock: 80 + home and back = 94 miles. 94 miles after 4 months off the bike = :cry:

60 for me. Unless it's raining, then I'll be indoors on the turbo.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    All these speeds get me confused.

Obviously those on the 80miler won't be waiting if someone gets dropped.

Will the same apply to the 60miler?

Now I'm just guessing here but I suspect nobody would get dropped from any of them - you wouldn't attempt the 80 unless ready for it and you know you are ready if you're one of *them* :D. The 60 I doubt will drop any, it might morph into 2 mini groups but again don't think drops will occur. I don't see us working that way as a group?
  • DonDaddyD
    When people say reasonably paced what do they mean?

Oh hell, I want to do the 60, but I don't want to hold people up. James, Rich others based on the ride into Surrey (that James led) would I be OK on the 60miler?

Edit: Didn't see you post before I made mine MM, thanks.

Probably will stick to the 40miler, though I will make my mind up on the day.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Rich158
    Clever Pun wrote:
    nice work if you can keep that pace for 55 miles Rich good on you

being realistic in a group I reckon 17 is more than achievable for the 40 miles to the pub

I'll only do that if there's a group and someone to share the work with. I was averaging 19.5 on some flattish sportives last year so it seems a good target to aim for.

Just look for the sweaty, gibering, shaking, mass in the corner of the pub, desperately trying to eat his way through the entire menu :shock: That'll be me :wink:

Revised FCN - 2
  • stuaff
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I intend on completing the 40 miles to the pub before the 25's get there...

+1. I will be at the pub before the slowcials, one way or another (If I have to bail on the 60 mile group, so be it, but trying to keep up will do me good). I'll never have the speed of certain bods on here- OK, lots of bods- but sustained effort is not a problem. My rolling average round the IOW was 14-15, and that's rather more hilly......

DDD, you know if you do the 40 you'll be trying to take my Carbon Owners' Wooden Spoon, right....?
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if i am off track but this seems to be a warm up for L2B?

I rode it last year errr... [cough] unofficially [/cough].

I live not too far from where the route passes through Woodmansterneand i and some mates joined the route at 6-30am. at that time the roads were clear and i would say 75% of the other riders i saw were unofficial entrants too.

it's only 50 miles from my start point but i did ride it back too (via an alternative route) and didn't have to walk anywhere making it a nice trip of 100 miles in 6.5 hours.

the joy of riding on a closed road makes it well worth the effort and it was a glorious 23 degrees c

Here we are at about 9-15am. Look at that sea and sky

21-06-2009_08.jpg
    FCN = 4
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I am doing the 60 mile route. I have a Garmin, so don't care if i get dropped. Having said that my garmin has yet to work properly for a full ride!
  • Sewinman wrote:
    I am doing the 60 mile route. I have a Garmin, so don't care if i get dropped. Having said that my garmin has yet to work properly for a full ride!

Garmin, smarmin. I'll send you the paper version for you to use when your Garmin gets lost! :wink:
  • Sewinman wrote:

Garmin, smarmin. I'll send you the paper version for you to use when your Garmin gets lost! :wink:

I thought you were going to be handing out laminated sheets along with the coloured bibs and numbers with the ticklist at the start? :D
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Are enough of us to split into 3 groups? I was thinking more along the lines of 2 groups... I'll do the 60 probably. No way I'm doing 80 miles at average of 19-20mph with hills n all! That's nutter pace. When I've been out on similar routes with Dulwich Paragon Sunday training rides with cat 1 and 2 racers over similar distances, average speed is usually around 17-18mph
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I am torn... I'd like to do the 60, but am drastically unfit.

Hmmm. Do the 60 and the 40 intersect?
  • il_principe
    I am torn... I'd like to do the 60, but am drastically unfit.

Hmmm. Do the 60 and the 40 intersect?

Come on Liv - I'll keep you company (or get dropped trying). I may venture out to RP on Sunday just to see quite how bad things have got.