Social ride. 28th Feb. London.

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    If it helps Cori, I got lost in Richmond Park (twice) despite following the maps they have at each gate :oops:

DDD, I freely admit to being a wimp. See you in April :D

I've now set weekly bike ride reminders in my phone starting in Feb 8)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Cafewanda wrote:
    If it helps Cori, I got lost in Richmond Park (twice) despite following the maps they have at each gate :oops:

Getting lost in Richmond Park is up there with actually eating your own head (with no hands). It really is.

:lol::lol::lol:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

Getting lost in Richmond Park is up there with actually eating your own head (with no hands). It really is.

:lol::lol::lol:

The older I get, the less shame I have in admitting my failings :D
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    Coriander wrote:
    Thanks, that's very sweet of you, DDD, but, if you can possible conceive of this, I am even slower now than I was in the summer! :shock: :shock: :shock: Two months of bronchitis has seen to that.

Also, although you were all very kind and patient, I felt dreadful at holding you up so much. So am working on my fitness and hope to get faster. Just about April, in fact!

Also, I'm not sure anyone else is doing the 40 mile ride. And, as someone who got lost in Greenwich Park the other day, there's no way I'd trust myself to find my way round the route on my own.

I am really slow up hills too, I find its quicker to walk or jog uphill with the bike sometimes :oops:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    moonio wrote:

I am really slow up hills too, I find its quicker to walk or jog uphill with the bike sometimes :oops:

There's no shame in getting off your bike and walking up a hill.... except the actual shame of pushing your bike up a hill
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Coriander wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    You are both wimps and need to come along.

Corrie you were fine on the Slowcial. Besides this ride has many in attendance of varying speeds and distances to accomodate all.

I'll be at the back going up hills, until I see a flat where it'll be sprint sprint sprint.

Thanks, that's very sweet of you, DDD, but, if you can possible conceive of this, I am even slower now than I was in the summer! :shock: :shock: :shock: Two months of bronchitis has seen to that.

Also, although you were all very kind and patient, I felt dreadful at holding you up so much. So am working on my fitness and hope to get faster. Just about April, in fact!

Also, I'm not sure anyone else is doing the 40 mile ride. And, as someone who got lost in Greenwich Park the other day, there's no way I'd trust myself to find my way round the route on my own.

Mind you - we WERE all slagging you off something chronic on the Derbyshire ride.... :D

(waits for mention of the only time Cori led and promptly got lost.... :wink: )
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Coriander wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    You are both wimps and need to come along.

Corrie you were fine on the Slowcial. Besides this ride has many in attendance of varying speeds and distances to accomodate all.

I'll be at the back going up hills, until I see a flat where it'll be sprint sprint sprint.

Mind you - we WERE all slagging you off something chronic on the Derbyshire ride.... :D

(waits for mention of the only time Cori led and promptly got lost.... :wink: )

See, it's safer to be slow. :wink:
  • I dont know nothing of down south so I am gladly going to just ride in the group, hopefully not too far at the back :P going to be riding a 48/13 fixed so may be pushing it up the hills as I have not rode that gear yet, getting the chain shortened and everything checked tomorrow to make sure I am doing it right :oops: the ride homes going to be the first attempt at that gearing.

may be a bit rusty as I dont know how to get to the training course I am going to be on other than by train.... plus its a 14+mile ride each way and I have no idea about where I am going yet, but the work place is 3miles away or 9miles away depending on which way i turn outside my door.
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,206
    If enough people come along who are slow and/or not riding shiny drop-barred racing machines there will be some safety in numbers :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    As it seems to have disappeared back on page 6 I guess it might be an idea to get a list of riders up!

I'd suggest add/amend your name and then your distance (45, 60 or 80 iirc) :-)

Also once we get some more firm numbers together would it be wise to phone the pub to warn then that they have 20+ potentially starving cyclist descending on them so they can through a few more hogs on the fire ;-)
    LondonLivvy
    Bassjunkieuk - 60
    Clever Pun
    Sewinman
    Il Principe (provisionally)
    JonGinge
    Headhuunter
    Skippy2309
    PinkPedal (maybe + 1-3 others)
    Rich158
    Brun (provisionally)
    StuAff (provisionally)
    MonkeyMonster (if ars* is in gear)

Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • LondonLivvy
    Bassjunkieuk - 60
    Clever Pun
    Sewinman
    JonGinge
    Headhuunter
    Skippy2309  - 60/45
    Rich158
    Brun (provisionally)
    StuAff (provisionally)

• stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Skippy2309 wrote:
    LondonLivvy
    Bassjunkieuk - 60
    Clever Pun
    Sewinman
    JonGinge
    Headhuunter
    Skippy2309  - 60/45
    Rich158
    Brun (provisionally)
    StuAff (provisionally) - 60 

Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    LondonLivvy
    Bassjunkieuk - 60
    Clever Pun
    Sewinman
    JonGinge
    Headhuunter
    Skippy2309  - 60/45
    Rich158
    Brun (provisionally)
    Oddjob62 - urrrr. depends how well the next month of cycling goes... ideally 80

As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    LondonLivvy
    Bassjunkieuk - 60
    Clever Pun
    Sewinman
    JonGinge
    Headhuunter
    Skippy2309  - 60/45
    Rich158
    Brun (provisionally)
    itboffin (provisionally)

Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Stevo_666
    itboffin wrote:
    LondonLivvy
    Bassjunkieuk - 60
    Clever Pun
    Sewinman
    JonGinge
    Headhuunter
    Skippy2309  - 60/45
    Rich158
    Brun (provisionally)
    itboffin (provisionally)
    Stevo 666 - 45

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • LondonLivvy
    Bassjunkieuk - 60
    Clever Pun
    Sewinman
    JonGinge
    Headhuunter
    Skippy2309  - 60/45
    Rich158
    Brun (provisionally)
    itboffin (provisionally)
    Stevo 666 - 45
    markshaw77 (provisionally) - 60

• Coriander
    markshaw77 wrote:
    LondonLivvy
    Bassjunkieuk - 60
    Clever Pun
    Sewinman
    JonGinge
    Headhuunter
    Skippy2309  - 60/45
    Rich158
    Brun (provisionally)
    itboffin (provisionally)
    Stevo 666 - 45

Is everyone listed above doing the 60 mile or longer route?

Stevo666 and I have talked and he is happy to go at my pace (assuming I have reached any level of fitness by then) round the 45 (when did it creep by stealth to 45 miles?) mile course. Am I right in assuming that I won't be massively constraining anybody else?
  • Hopefully I will be able to keep up with you..... but I am up for either route, may try and drag the missus out but she struggles to get any sort of distance in, we did a nice little 12mile ride and that left her exhausted. but i am sure lots of poking and nagging will get her to do it :D

• Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    If I make it, it would be the 45 that I'd go for
    Ian
  • Coriander
    LondonLivvy
    Bassjunkieuk - 60
    Clever Pun
    Sewinman
    JonGinge
    Headhuunter
    Skippy2309  - 60/45
    Rich158
    Brun (provisionally)
    itboffin (provisionally)
    Stevo 666 - 45
    Cori - 45 (assuming fit enough)

• Stevo_666
    Coriander wrote:

Stevo666 and I have talked and he is happy to go at my pace (assuming I have reached any level of fitness by then) round the 45 (when did it creep by stealth to 45 miles?) mile course. Am I right in assuming that I won't be massively constraining anybody else?
    Cori, as long as we're not too slow we'll get to the pub before the 'Tour de Kent' hoardes :D
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Cori, as long as we're not too slow we'll get to the pub before the 'Tour de Kent' hoardes :D

Guinness please :P
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Coriander wrote:

We'll see about that ;)
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Coriander wrote:
    when did it creep by stealth to 45 miles?

It never crept anywhere :-)

Here's the 3 routes as suggested by LondonLivvy:

45 mile ride
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... /255665573

60 mile version
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 4481345359

80 mile version
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 6244316199

Just so any late joiners can have a check over - DDD, could you add these links to 1st post and update attendees list?
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Call me silly but would people be up for doing the 45 say a week or 2 before then doing the 60 then the 80 after that?

I dont know if I can do it but it could be something to do.

going to try and squeese in some longer rides as my commutes dropped to 6-7miles total, i miss the 13miles each way commute on the big heavy full sus, My much lighter fixed needs a good hard long run. I have a few long runs planned for the summer, as in all the way to Harwich to see family and back (maybe not the same day)

• Retch
    Retch Posts: 78
    Assuming no objections to complete random strangers rocking up, I'm inclined to join. Targetting a full ton and the Dragon this year, so I'm thinking 10 miles each way commute won't cut the Colman's.

Have no idea how slow / fast I am, but that's half the fun. Currently doing the commute at average about 17/18, but it has every set of lights in London en route...

See you chaps and chapettes there.
    FCN 5ish. Unless hungover.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Retch wrote:
    Assuming no objections to complete random strangers rocking up, I'm inclined to join. Targetting a full ton and the Dragon this year, so I'm thinking 10 miles each way commute won't cut the Colman's.

Have no idea how slow / fast I am, but that's half the fun. Currently doing the commute at average about 17/18, but it has every set of lights in London en route...

See you chaps and chapettes there.

That's a good average, moving I assume?

The Dragon is a fab sportive and the last 2 years have seen perfect weather.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    I'm up for this as long as it's not on 28th of Feb. Been through parts of thread - too much for me to go the whole way through on this damned awkward laptop. Can anyone give me the latest plan?

I'm for Kent btw - if there's still a choice.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Porgy wrote:
    I'm up for this as long as it's not on 28th of Feb. Been through parts of thread - too much for me to go the whole way through on this damned awkward laptop. Can anyone give me the latest plan?

I'm for Kent btw - if there's still a choice.

Woo! Go Kent!

Erm, best you just read the title of the thread then Porgs old chap
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Porgy,

DDD has updated the first post to include all the details but yes, essentially it's kent and it's the 28th Feb. Varying routes, depending on enthusiasm levels, from 45 to 80 miles.