Social ride. 28th Feb. London.

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I'm up for social rides being arranged more frequently, one every other week. I don't want to hold the responsibility of maintaining such a thread, ensuring a ride leader and the route. I'm just not that person anymore sorry...

Why don't people take it in turns to pick a route and lead a ride?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I'm up for social rides being arranged more frequently, one every other week. I don't want to hold the responsibility of maintaining such a thread, ensuring a ride leader and the route. I'm just not that person anymore sorry...

Why don't people take it in turns to pick a route and lead a ride?

sounds fine

28th round kent is DDD's baby
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Meet at entrance to Crystal Palace Park, on Anerley Hill. The entrance opposite Cintra Park (i.e. the main entrance. There's a huge car park).

Proposed Route :
    http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/kent/ ... 7694526401

Proposed lunch spot would be Royal Oak in Crockham Hill.

We have enough folk to do a couple of groups - on different routes according to enthusiasm / fitness levels - but people may want to make their mind up nearer the time. The route is easily extendable up to 60 or 80 miles with the same lunch spot.
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    I'd be interested...just to see how slow I am.

I live in SE3. I haven't read through this entire thread, has the route or start point been decided?
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I thought you said something about hills?
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    _Brun_ wrote:
    I thought you said something about hills?

You'll be joining me on the fixie then :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'd be interested...just to see how slow I am.

I live in SE3. I haven't read through this entire thread, has the route or start point been decided?

All are welcome. See main page for every evolving details.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    Main page updated.

Which one is the main entrance at Crystal Palace park again? A link on Google maps would be great.

What time would everyone like to 'kick off'?
    Meet at entrance to Crystal Palace Park, on Anerley Hill. The entrance opposite Cintra Park (i.e. the main entrance. There's a huge car park).

Proposed Route :
    http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/kent/ ... 7694526401

Proposed lunch spot would be Royal Oak in Crockham Hill.

We have enough folk to do a couple of groups - on different routes according to enthusiasm / fitness levels - but people may want to make their mind up nearer the time. The route is easily extendable up to 60 or 80 miles with the same lunch spot.

Thanks for the info.

Any chance of that scheldule of ongoing bi-weekly social rides thread?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Main page updated.

Which one is the main entrance at Crystal Palace park again? A link on Google maps would be great.

The mapmyride route starts from the meet location so people just need to zoom in on the start and it shows you exactly where the main entrance is.

10am?
  • Clever Pun
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Main page updated.

The mapmyride route starts from the meet location so people just need to zoom in on the start and it shows you exactly where the main entrance is.

10am?

yes 10am sounds suitable as people have to get there plus I don't want to get up early

and that makes lunch at 12 nice and easy
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    10am sounds good to me, the one I did last time started around that time.

Details are up on the main website.

All are welcome to come along. Coriander, you are more than welcome.

Fast riders I'll understand if you want to make additional plans within the plans - seperate faster, longer ride - cool beans. Let me know and I'll add it to the main page.

Slow riders it is a social, we'll wait if you get dropped. Moderate - average - manageable pace.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Clever Pun
    edited January 2010
    List for the 60 mile ride (well certainly 30 miles or so to the pub...we'll see after :lol:
    Clever Pun

Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Slow riders it is a social, we'll wait if you get dropped. Moderate - average - manageable pace.

Does it matter if I join in on this on a hybrid?

Not sure if I can make it yet but I need to get some long rides in for L2B in June.
  • Clever Pun
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Does it matter if I join in on this on a hybrid?

Not sure if I can make it yet but I need to get some long rides in for L2B in June.

you can ride what you like... better for you if you use the bike you're planning on hitting the L2B on too
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • _Brun_
    From what I've heard you're better off practising for L2B by walking with it. Especially up any hills.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    _Brun_ wrote:
    From what I've heard you're better off practising for L2B by walking with it. Especially up any hills.

if you get in the first group at 6:00am its fine otherwise yeah walking up hills in spds would be good practise
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    _Brun_ wrote:

The C+ article last year said as much. If you actually want to ride L2B, do it at night....;)
    http://fnrttc.blogspot.com
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • il_principe
    _Brun_ wrote:

Never again. NEVER. L2B is hellish. Much better to do the ride another weekend. There and back in a day is very doable and is a great ride if you route well.
  • Looks great Livs, nice one!

Fun fun fun!

:D
  • Clever Pun
    amnezia wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

if you get in the first group at 6:00am its fine otherwise yeah walking up hills in spds would be good practise

I managed to ride up everything, it's tricky and there's a small line practically in the gutter on the rhs of the road

the way back was so much better
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Clever Pun wrote:
    amnezia wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

I managed to ride up everything, it's tricky and there's a small line practically in the gutter on the rhs of the road

Could you guys explain what you mean by this?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • _Brun_
    The volume of people walking up the hills leaves very little room to ride up them.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    _Brun_ wrote:
    The volume of people walking up the hills leaves very little room to ride up them.

Ahhh... right. Obvious now you mention it :oops:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • il_principe
    Clever Pun wrote:
    amnezia wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

It's an event that is totally oversubscribed, typically by people that haven't ridden in years/are hopelessly unfit/have no cyclesense/are riding bikes that are not road-worthy etc. As a result most hills see a mass dismount, people then walk all over the road making it very hard to stay mounted. I saw some fcuking awful cycling when I did it, people without properly functioning brakes etc. Fair enough it's for a good cause, but never again. It's not worthwhile for anyone vaguely serious about cycling - there are far better (and more enjoyable) options out there.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun wrote:
    amnezia wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

Every hill gets filled up with walkers from the left as they try and get up the hill, bike or legs fail and they start walking times that by 1000 and you have a very busy hill. there is generally a sliver of space on the far right hand side of said hill allowing people who want/can ride up the hill to do so. It's incredibly slow and tricky.

Riding home was much more fun, it had decent pace and loads of space.

Also downhills are dangerous as numpties try and off themselves at every given opportunity
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    amnezia wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

It's an event that is totally oversubscribed, typically by people that haven't ridden in years/are hopelessly unfit/have no cyclesense/are riding bikes that are not road-worthy etc. As a result most hills see a mass dismount, people then walk all over the road making it very hard to stay mounted. I saw some fcuking awful cycling when I did it, people without properly functioning brakes etc. Fair enough it's for a good cause, but never again. It's not worthwhile for anyone vaguely serious about cycling - there are far better (and more enjoyable) options out there.

Yep, I plan to do other sportives as they seem more interesting and less crowded. Only doing this for a tick in the box and have a 6am start so hopefully it will not be too painful. Plan to be fit enough not to have to worry about the walkers.

Also thinking of riding back after a leisurely break.
  • Clever Pun

Yep, I plan to do other sportives as they seem more interesting and less crowded. Only doing this for a tick in the box and have a 6am start so hopefully it will not be too painful. Plan to be fit enough not to have to worry about the walkers.

Also thinking of riding back after a leisurely break.

Have some lunch in the sun, a beer went down a treat as well

for the route back gun it down the A23 (fast dual carriageway) then take it easy on the nice country route via peas pottage (or something to that effect)
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • stuaff
    Clever Pun
    StuAff

I know ain't that quick, but I want to keep doing 60 mile+ runs as prep for L2P in September. That'll be 120+ for the weekend (L2B Friday night). And I'm not that slow either....Apart from that, 40 miles seems a little short for the effort of getting to CP and back....
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • stuaff
    Clever Pun wrote:
    amnezia wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

Seen one deathtrap and the odd underequipped rider on FNRttCs, but the vast majority on those know what they're doing, or listen to those people who do. I don't know the route the BHF ride uses, but the usual FNR route doesn't have anything really nasty until Ditchling (Portnalls Road in Horley and Turners' Hill are taxing butnot too bad). The Beacon itself is more than doable as long as you have the willpower. The thought of trying to climb Ditchling with a few thousand numpties does not appeal though!!
  • Clever Pun
    StuAff wrote:
    Clever Pun
    StuAff

I know ain't that quick, but I want to keep doing 60 mile+ runs as prep for L2P in September. That'll be 120+ for the weekend (L2B Friday night). And I'm not that slow either....Apart from that, 40 miles seems a little short for the effort of getting to CP and back....

I was intending on this being a quicker ride... you're welcome obviously just so you know.

My idea was to get to the pub the same time as the 20 milers
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5