Social ride. 28th Feb. London.

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    We wouldn't have forgotten PinkPedal. 'Hot' as the sun that is currently scorching her. But thank you.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    [pedant hat ]Actually Richmond is east of the river as it flows south-north there. :)

I'd be tentatively interested in joining in if it's really a 'slow'cial. And are you planning the 45, 60 or 80 mile route (or, as suggested, splitting up into groups if there are enough people)?
  • Dondaddyd 
    LondonLivvy 
    Bassjunkieuk 
    Clever Pun 
    Sewinman 
    Il Principe 
    JonGinge
    Headhuunter
    Skippy2309
    PinkPedal (maybe + 1-3 others)
    Rich158
    Oddjob

Oddjob also got knocked off the previous edition somehow.
  • JonGinge wrote:
    Putting Rich back in ;)
    Yeh, but the skiver said he'd join part way* - around Ide Hill, I presume :P

Or did I miss him change his mind when it moved to Crystal Palace :)

*did I manage to cover my omission successfully
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Dondaddyd 
    LondonLivvy 
    Bassjunkieuk 
    Clever Pun 
    Sewinman 
    Il Principe 
    JonGinge
    Headhuunter
    Skippy2309
    Rich158
    Brun (provisionally)

I'll wait and see how I feel that morning. Last time I put my name on the list I couldn't be arsed with the 12 mile trek to the start.

Not sure whether I'll want to take the road bike out of hibernation. Anyone else planning to ride fixed?
  • Ian.B wrote:

I'd be tentatively interested in joining in if it's really a 'slow'cial. And are you planning the 45, 60 or 80 mile route (or, as suggested, splitting up into groups if there are enough people)?

I don't know how fast most of those riders are. I suspect some are very fast, so yes, perhaps a divide and conquer and reconvene at the pub and then ride back to town together might work.

I am slow, currently. Though soon to have a flash bike and therefore will possibly be less slow. hurrah.
  • _Brun_ wrote:
    Not sure whether I'll want to take the road bike out of hibernation. Anyone else planning to ride fixed?

Fixed? In the Kent hills? Are you MAD?

* or just much, much fitter than me?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    _Brun_ wrote:

Pssst! "he drinks a lot" :P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DonDaddyD
    On speed. Slow'cial rules appy. (potentially modified by the inclusion of the 'fast' group).

If there is a 'fast' group then they'll have to make up their own rules.

As for the group I'm in, I'll be stopping and waiting for those that get dropped. You do have to try though.

My preferred speed (on the commuter) is 19mph, on the Kharma I guarantee nothing. :twisted: Up hill its far far less or so the myth goes. :roll:

I don't like to give numbers to these things. With enough people there will bound to be someone at someone elses pace.

If I even see a hint of Sewinman, Rich or headhunter I'm going after them like some rabid wolverine...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    itboffin wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

Pssst! "he drinks a lot" :P
    I'll have you know I've not touched a drop since Saturday. Think I've got over the worst of the withdrawls now, although I can't deny a pint after work is very tempting.

Must stay strong...
  • Fortunately I know the route and I know where the pub is, so totally not bothered about being dropped. :lol: So long as you club together to buy me a pint if I'm last.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Huzzzah, a long ride. Super.

Only kidding... I won't do it to you all again.

:wink:
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Coriander wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:
    Dondaddyd
    LondonLivvy
    Bassjunkieuk
    Clever Pun
    Sewinman
    Il Principe
    JonGinge
    Headhuunter
    Rich158

I'll drag myself over for a CP start.

Just remember to wear your stab vests that far sarf of the river :wink:

Actually I think Richmond Park is further south of the river than Crystal Palace, in fact RP is probably officially in Surrey rather than London proper. it's just far further west...

Errr, given that Richmond is ON the river, how can it be further 'south' of the river than Crystal P alace? :wink:

And it's not in London - it has a county and a non-London postcode. That's my test, at least, of whether or not somewhere is in London.

RP is not ON the river though - there's a good strip of city between it and the river, but I'll give you that RP is closer to the river than CP, although the river bends north around Waterloo so it's a bit unfair. Also RP is bloody enormous compared with CP so the northern most bit near the river but the southern part is nearer the same level as the bottom edge of CP. So there.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Coriander wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:
    Dondaddyd
    LondonLivvy
    Bassjunkieuk
    Clever Pun
    Sewinman
    Il Principe
    JonGinge
    Headhuunter
    Rich158

I'll drag myself over for a CP start.

Just remember to wear your stab vests that far sarf of the river :wink:

Actually I think Richmond Park is further south of the river than Crystal Palace, in fact RP is probably officially in Surrey rather than London proper. it's just far further west...

Errr, given that Richmond is ON the river, how can it be further 'south' of the river than Crystal P alace? :wink:

And it's not in London - it has a county and a non-London postcode. That's my test, at least, of whether or not somewhere is in London.

RP is not ON the river though - there's a good strip of city between it and the river, but I'll give you that RP is closer to the river than CP, although the river bends north around Waterloo so it's a bit unfair. Also RP is bloody enormous compared with CP so the northern most bit near the river but the southern part is nearer the same level as the bottom edge of CP. So there.

Oooooh I think you might be clutching at straws there.... ;)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    There is something about the council offices for the The Mightily Fine Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames actually being in Surrey or something. Or not being in Surrey. I'm not sure which, but I heard some story about the borders being different to the county we're supposed to be in. Or something like that.

Anyway...

What's the plan? :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    cjcp wrote:
    There is something about the council offices for the The Mightily Fine Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames actually being in Surrey or something. Or not being in Surrey. I'm not sure which, but I heard some story about the borders being different to the county we're supposed to be in. Or something like that.

Yes - but it's the other way round. Surrey's council offices aren't in Surrey, they're in Kingston (at County Hall) - ie in the London Borough. They are in Surrey postally, but then so is the whold of the London borough....
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Dondaddyd 
    LondonLivvy 
    Bassjunkieuk 
    Clever Pun 
    Sewinman 
    Il Principe 
    JonGinge
    Headhuunter
    Skippy2309
    Rich158
    Brun (provisionally)

I'll wait and see how I feel that morning. Last time I put my name on the list I couldn't be arsed with the 12 mile trek to the start.

I will if you do matey, I haven't had a decent run on the fixie since last years social
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Rich158 wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

I will if you do matey, I haven't had a decent run on the fixie since last years social

Bah... stop tempting me!
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • cjcp
    Ian.B wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Yes - but it's the other way round. Surrey's council offices aren't in Surrey, they're in Kingston (at County Hall) - ie in the London Borough. They are in Surrey postally, but then so is the whold of the London borough....

Ah, right. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Count me in, provisionally. Enough moaning about the distance some of you have to travel...
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • What date is this set for (perhaps DDD could edit the first post to provide current info ... c'mon DDD, stop arsing about and do something useful for once!)?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • 28th Feb, Greg, though I'm not entirely sure why nothing sooner. I think there were mutterings about the cold etc....
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Dondaddyd 
    LondonLivvy 
    Bassjunkieuk 
    Clever Pun 
    Sewinman 
    Il Principe 
    JonGinge
    Headhuunter
    Skippy2309
    Rich158
    Brun (provisionally)
    StuAff (provisionally)

Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • cjcp
    28th Feb? Hmmm. Might be ok. I'm hoping to do the Surrey Rumble the following week, so not sure I'll be able to get away with that. Will keep an eye on the thread.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Dondaddyd 
    LondonLivvy 
    Bassjunkieuk 
    Clever Pun 
    Sewinman 
    Il Principe 
    JonGinge
    Headhuunter
    Skippy2309
    Rich158
    Brun (provisionally)
    StuAff (provisionally)
    MonkeyMonster (if arse is in gear)

Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Ah. 28 Feb. Will be in snowy Whistler, packing to come home.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    LondonLivvy 
    Bassjunkieuk 
    Clever Pun 
    Sewinman 
    Il Principe (provisionally)
    JonGinge
    Headhuunter
    Skippy2309
    Rich158
    Brun (provisionally)
    StuAff (provisionally)
    MonkeyMonster (if ars* is in gear)

• gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    Or... set up a standard cunning plan (as Wheezy McChubby suggests) along the lines of:

1st weekend of the month : Kent rides, beginning from Crystal Palace Park Entrance, 10am.
    3rd weekend of the month : Surrey rides, beginning from Kingston gate, 10am

VG - this will give everyone a chance to put it in the diary and avoid unknowingly giving conflicting commitments.

I cannot join on the 28/02 ride but I will lurk and show interest as plans develop.

Now I must get away and find the mudguards.

PS I am free most days for a spin, RP or further, if any one wants to avoid being solo.
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • DonDaddyD
    edited January 2010
    LondonLivvy 
    Bassjunkieuk 
    Clever Pun 
    Sewinman 
    Il Principe (provisionally)
    JonGinge
    Headhuunter
    Skippy2309
    Rich158
    Brun (provisionally)
    StuAff (provisionally)
    MonkeyMonster (if ars* is in gear)

Ha. Ha. Ha. :roll:
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    OK to begin,

Can someone post a link (again) of the route and include details stating where the start point is.

I'm up for social rides being arranged more frequently, one every other week. I don't want to hold the responsibility of maintaining such a thread, ensuring a ride leader and the route. I'm just not that person anymore sorry...

If you want to make a seperate thread doing so cool, I'll be happy to join a number of those rides (assuming they're in London) I'm sure.
    Food Chain number = 4