Social ride. 28th Feb. London.

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Dudes...

I'm so not going to be there.

This won't be a manageable hangover, the kind you can ride with, this will be the kind that requires you to remain horizontal.

So unless someone can lend me a 'bent, I'm out.

Sorry.
    what's a 'bent?

Also Lit's, come on, the single guys want to see you ride a bike!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    what's a 'bent?

Recumbent bike, ridden sitting up with legs out in front usually or in a more horizontal position. They look good fun and I'm hoping to have a crack on one over the summer when I drag the family up Dulwich Park again :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Anyone going asides from LondonLivvy familiar with the pub we are headed to for lunch?
    Is it going to be able to accommodate 20 cyclists + our bikes?
    I have a small combination lock which I can stow under the saddle pack which might be able to wrap round to secure a couple of bikes together (or just mine depending on what mood I'm on when I get to the pub ;-))

I did the ride today and looked hard at the Royal Oak in Crockham Hill as I went past to ascertain space for cyclists and bikes. The pub is big enough for 20 people and for bikes, the easiest answer is probably to put the bikes outside the front windows and then sit in those bays overlooking them. We could probably book some tables once we know how many people are still planning to come.

http://www.crockhamhillevents.co.uk/theroyaloak.asp
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Dudes...

I'm so not going to be there.

This won't be a manageable hangover, the kind you can ride with, this will be the kind that requires you to remain horizontal.

So unless someone can lend me a 'bent, I'm out.

Sorry.
    what's a 'bent?

Also Lit's, come on, the single guys want to see you ride a bike!

Well done, once again DDD you've avoided being creepy in any way
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    edited February 2010
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Norky,

All are welcome. Read through the thread to gauge whether this is something for you.

Splendid. Already read through it, and it sounds like fun hence the asking. Count davis and me in. We'll either be riding from East Croydon Station at 09:24 (to save changing trains) or from Crystal Palace (train gets in at 9:58 ) so should be there on time.

Cheers.

edit: train time fail.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Norky wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Norky,

All are welcome. Read through the thread to gauge whether this is something for you.

Splendid. Already read through it, and it sounds like fun hence the asking. Count davis and me in. We'll either be riding from East Croydon Station (to save changing trains) or from Crystal Palace (train gets in at 9:59) so should be there on time.

Cheers.

Funnily enough, I might well be on that train as well :)
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • DonDaddyD
    Clever Pun wrote:

I'd be surprised if LiTs found me creepy, but then again....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    Clever Pun wrote:

I'd be surprised if LiTs found me creepy, but then again....
    Food Chain number = 4

• Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Guys, thanks, but I'm really not fit enough yet to do this ride. It's not people have been putting pressure on people to ride at a certain pace, it's just that I wouldn't enjoy it.

But I'm getting fitter all the time and there'll be other rides you can wait for me on...
  • Clever Pun
    StuAff wrote:
    Norky wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Norky,

Splendid. Already read through it, and it sounds like fun hence the asking. Count davis and me in. We'll either be riding from East Croydon Station (to save changing trains) or from Crystal Palace (train gets in at 9:59) so should be there on time.

Cheers.

I can come and meet you guys from EC if you want... it's a few extra miles for me so that's no problem (gotta think of the stats)
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • stuaff
    Clever Pun wrote:
    StuAff wrote:
    Norky wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Norky,

Cheers.

I can come and meet you guys from EC if you want... it's a few extra miles for me so that's no problem (gotta think of the stats)

Sounds like a good plan. Should be into East Croydon 9.39. I'll SMS you when I'm en route. Should I miss that one (I'll have the alarm on etc, but...), backup plan for me is to get the next train, via Clapham Junction- gets into CP slightly later but I might ride over if I end up on that one (map prepared).
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,206
    I did the ride today and looked hard at the Royal Oak in Crockham Hill as I went past to ascertain space for cyclists and bikes. The pub is big enough for 20 people and for bikes, the easiest answer is probably to put the bikes outside the front windows and then sit in those bays overlooking them. We could probably book some tables once we know how many people are still planning to come.

http://www.crockhamhillevents.co.uk/theroyaloak.asp
    Good idea re: booking in advance: saw a review that recommends doing this:
    http://www.wheresbest.co.uk/venue/143907/The-Royal-Oak/
    They may be popular on a Sunday lunchtime and I don't want to go unfed :!: :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • not to piss on anyones parade but you seen the forecast for sunday now...
    W14 at least is going to need an Ark.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Stevo_666
    not to wee-wee on anyones parade but you seen the forecast for sunday now...
    W14 at least is going to need an Ark.
    Let's hope the forecasts are as inaccurate as usual (esp 6 days out)
    http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/dayforecast.asp?zipcode=se20&day=6
    :(
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I'm more of a WILL than WONT at the moment, I have some catching up to do and besides someone needs to see my awesome tan before the "BBQ Summer" kicks in and I have to wear even more layers :evil:

brrrr it's 1c here in Wilts - i'm not a happy bunny, plus I fancy a beer but it's 09:28 AM on a school day :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DonDaddyD
    If its chucking buckets then I'm gonna bail.

I'll leave it right up until the day, however. I'll probably make my deciding post 1-2hr before the ride.

Hope this is cool.
    Food Chain number = 4

• stuaff
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I'll leave it right up until the day, however. I'll probably make my deciding post 1-2hr before the ride.

Hope this is cool.

If there's going to be a mass bail-out, better for those of us with further to travel to know beforehand....that said, unless it's torrential I'll still want to come. Though perhaps a shorter faster run then afternoon in the pub would be in order......!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Hope this is cool.

+1 F*ck getting soaked again, I have a turbo + rollers for a reason.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056

I'm not too fussed about the getting wet bit... but getting wet miles from home doesn't sound fun. At least if i'm on my usual turf i can be home in 10mins.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Oddjob62 wrote:

I'm not too fussed about the getting wet bit... but getting wet miles from home doesn't sound fun. At least if i'm on my usual turf i can be home in 10mins.

Throw in the increased risk of punctures etc and it's just not fun. A bunch of us got caught in the rain on a social ride in March(?) last year (Boffin's) and I've never been so cold. Thank feck for the nearby pub + support vehicle.
  • Clever Pun
    Well, it's early doors yet... lets see what's what on Friday
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Oddjob62 wrote:

Throw in the increased risk of punctures etc and it's just not fun. A bunch of us got caught in the rain on a social ride in March(?) last year (Boffin's) and I've never been so cold. Thank feck for the nearby pub + support vehicle.

yup on a roadie it's simply misrable last sunday i got soaked and cold, crisp cold days are lovely (Minus ice) but wet cold days are MTB days really.
  • stuaff
    +1 for waiting till Friday. At the moment, doesn't look good. Both Metcheck & the Met Office think wet, windy, chance of snow for Sunday....but longer-range forecasts are of course much less accurate.
  • Oddjob62 wrote:

Quit your whining, at least you got to ride all the way to the pub stop ;-)
    +1 for the support vehicle tho and the very accommodating pub!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    They may have a point on the weather, though the forcast for Saturday evening (it doesn't show Sunday) has already changed a fair bit from what it was last night. The current forecast has a lot of rain in the Bay of Biscay and off the coast of Portugal, all of it heading up the Channel to us.
    We'll see if that changes.
  • Stevo_666
    Yep, lets wait and see - MTB at the ready in case I fancy a more comfortable jaunt :) That said, Metcheck seems to have changed its mind completely about the weather on Sunday now:
    http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/dayforecast.asp?zipcode=westerham&day=5
  • I'd still be up for a ride, even if it's raining, as I am now equipped with waterproof socks and a Gore jacket.

But I'd go with Stuaff's recommendation of doing the ride, then finding a pub, rather than sitting damp and wet in the pub and then trying to muster the enthusiasm to head up Crockham hill.
  • DonDaddyD
    Oddjob62 wrote:

Wiltshire made me a better rider because the weather (let alone the hills) pushed my tollerance to new levels.

In fact the weather was so bad and I was so cold the hills weren't even an issue.

Part of me loved it.
    +1 for waiting till Friday. At the moment, doesn't look good. Both Metcheck & the Met Office think wet, windy, chance of snow for Sunday....but longer-range forecasts are of course much less accurate.

It says rain today, but I haven't seen a drop yet. I'd happily leave for the ride and be rained on. Also when I mean rain, I mean proper raining the kind where your car wipers are on the highest setting.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Stevo_666
    If we're going to find a pub in SE London/Crystal Palace then suggest we pack our Kryptonite locks....personally I'd prefer to stop near the end after we've done the last biggish hill (probably the one going up toward Biggin Hill from the M25). Let's see how things are on the day.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Oddjob62 wrote:

Wiltshire made me a better rider because the weather (let alone the hills) pushed my tollerance to new levels.

In fact the weather was so bad and I was so cold the hills weren't even an issue.

Part of me loved it.

It says rain today, but I haven't seen a drop yet. I'd happily leave for the ride and be rained on. Also when I mean rain, I mean proper raining the kind where your car wipers are on the highest setting.

Don't forget your cross dressing pub stop :wink:

But seriously my hands have NEVER been that cold even when on exercise in Norway or drunk in field in winter :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.