Social ride. 28th Feb. London.

Comments

• stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Clever Pun wrote:
    To set the record straight

If it's hammering it down I aint getting out of bed :lol:

+1. I'll have the alarm set anyway. If it's raining hard, I'll go back to sleep. Five mile ride in the wet, 2 hours on the train, then getting wetter again....hmmm, probably not. If it's drizzle locally, I'll be seeing the hardcore remnants of you lot up there.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    itboffin wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Yes it would be for the best, just think of the visits from you know who :wink:

if you're riding everyone else is ok
    FACT. I've not had an unscheduled deflation since you returned to these fair shores. Plenty during your sojourn, though. :x

That was the deal I had with the PF :lol:
    You know some posts just tempt fate. Guess what pleasant surprise awaited me when I returned to my bike this evening :lol:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    JonGinge wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Yes it would be for the best, just think of the visits from you know who :wink:

if you're riding everyone else is ok
    FACT. I've not had an unscheduled deflation since you returned to these fair shores. Plenty during your sojourn, though. :x

That was the deal I had with the PF :lol:
    You know some posts just tempt fate. Guess what pleasant surprise awaited me when I returned to my bike this evening :lol:

:roll:

Not me guv honest
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Due to unforeseen availability (and the date of my first ever sportive approaching rapidly), I may be up for this little jaunt.

Unless Metcheck is correct in which case I'm not even leaving my bed !

(who am I kidding ? Metcheck is predicting barely positive temps and heavy sleet. Brr....)
    Misguided Idealist
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    itboffin wrote:
    linsen wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Oh dear, looks like sw trains might have scuppered my plans, engineering works this weekend - bus replace = no bike = no ride

balls, looks like I'm out, guess I'll have to do a solo yokel ride :(

If the weather perks up, I may be available Sunday (and my +1) for yokel riding with you. As long as you wait for me......

Oh goodie I do love a yokel social :wink: if you +1 fancy dinner after that would also be v nice :wink:

Sounds like a date to me. I'll let the +1 know shall I?
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    linsen wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    linsen wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Oh dear, looks like sw trains might have scuppered my plans, engineering works this weekend - bus replace = no bike = no ride

If the weather perks up, I may be available Sunday (and my +1) for yokel riding with you. As long as you wait for me......

Oh goodie I do love a yokel social :wink: if you +1 fancy dinner after that would also be v nice :wink:

Wooo! Party at ITB's house!!!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Just wondering, are we going to have a fast group and a slower group still? Who is up for a fast ride? I would like to do a fast one with fewer stops if poss - perhaps a stop every 10-15 miles to regroup but not much more. I need to know just so that I wear the right clothes and bring the right food. If I'm with a fast group I'll wear less and eat more and vice versa if I'm going to be stopping every 2 miles
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • stuaff
    Just wondering, are we going to have a fast group and a slower group still? Who is up for a fast ride? I would like to do a fast one with fewer stops if poss - perhaps a stop every 10-15 miles to regroup but not much more. I need to know just so that I wear the right clothes and bring the right food. If I'm with a fast group I'll wear less and eat more and vice versa if I'm going to be stopping every 2 miles

I have a feeling there's not going to be a fast group, or a slow group, just a group.....As for clothing, wear more and eat more I think, judging by the forecast.....
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    If I go there'll be a faster group as I'd like to make the 40 miles to the pub in roughly the same time as the 20 milers to the pub

mmm pub
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • stuaff
    Clever Pun wrote:
    If I go there'll be a faster group as I'd like to make the 40 miles to the pub in roughly the same time as the 20 milers to the pub

mmm pub

Weather forecast is now looking slighly less inclement on Metcheck. Still wet, cold and windy, just not quite as much....
    You still want to do 60 miles in that?
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    It seems the mass of rain heading for Portugal on Friday has veered a little further north than had been though earlier in the week. Looking at it, there might be a lull in the rain on Sunday, but yeah, it's looking like it will be wet. However, it's currently just left the Carribean, it has a long way to go before it gets to us on Sunday, and could easily find itself being moved a little further north or south to miss us entirely yet.
  • Clever Pun
    StuAff wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

mmm pub

Weather forecast is now looking slighly less inclement on Metcheck. Still wet, cold and windy, just not quite as much....
    You still want to do 60 miles in that?

worst case I get to the pub nice and early and have a couple of nice pints while you lot schelp outside in the cold
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Last night's BBC forecast for Sunday would have fitted well with some O Fortuna in the background...
  • DonDaddyD
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    It seems the mass of rain heading for Portugal on Friday has veered a little further north than had been though earlier in the week. Looking at it, there might be a lull in the rain on Sunday, but yeah, it's looking like it will be wet. However, it's currently just left the Carribean, it has a long way to go before it gets to us on Sunday, and could easily find itself being moved a little further north or south to miss us entirely yet.

Are you like Superman or something and just flew 100,000miles above the planet to look at the clouds and their movement?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • itboffin
    linsen wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    linsen wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

please do ;)

ooo it's so clicky around here :)
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DonDaddyD
    itboffin wrote:
    linsen wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    linsen wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

please do ;)

I'm coming.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    itboffin wrote:
    linsen wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    linsen wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

please do ;)

I'm coming.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    itboffin wrote:
    linsen wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    linsen wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

please do ;)

I'm coming.
    Food Chain number = 4

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Last night's BBC forecast for Sunday would have fitted well with some O Fortuna in the background...
    Hmm. Bike or surf-board, surf-board or bike. Decisions.

*hopeful mantra* It'll be fine, it'll be fine, it'll be fine...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    Last night's BBC forecast for Sunday would have fitted well with some O Fortuna in the background...
    Hmm. Bike or surf-board, surf-board or bike. Decisions.

*hopeful mantra* It'll be fine, it'll be fine, it'll be fine...

Ark.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    StuAff wrote:

I have a feeling there's not going to be a fast group, or a slow group, just a group.....As for clothing, wear more and eat more I think, judging by the forecast.....

Hmmm. I'm concerned I'm going to get cold. I was hoping for a group at about the 18-19mph or so avg with fewer stops. Riding in the rain (as long as it's not torrential) and damp in Feb is fine if the pace is constant and fast to keep warm but frequent stops in damp clothing aren't much fun...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • StuAff wrote:

Hmmm. I'm concerned I'm going to get cold. I was hoping for a group at about the 18-19mph or so avg with fewer stops. Riding in the rain (as long as it's not torrential) and damp in Feb is fine if the pace is constant and fast to keep warm but frequent stops in damp clothing aren't much fun...

warm stops are fine, but standing out side yuck....
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Eau Rouge wrote:

Are you like Superman or something and just flew 100,000miles above the planet to look at the clouds and their movement?

Don't be so silly man, of course I'm not Superman and I didn't fly 100,000 miles above the planet to look at the clouds. ssheesh.
    I phoned Superman and asked him to do it for me, d'uh.

(the Atlantic map on the BBC's weather forecast if you must know)
  • StuAff wrote:

Sounds like CP is up for a burn too so you can both do speeding through the lanes followed by steaming in the pub, waiting for the rest of us. I can't go that fast, though. The 13-15mph bracket is plenty enough to keep me warm...
  • I think the 45 mile ride will be for me, although I still have to fit my drops and brake lever along with taping the bars....

will actually quite a bit longer than 45miles, as its around 10-15miles to Crystal Palace.

havent been able to get many miles at all with the weather and with the travelling back and fourth to this course :roll:
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • stuaff
    Metcheck forecast briefly looked much better, has now reverted to previous version (?!). But not too bad, all the same. So, assuming that stays the same or improves a bit, I'm in. Will aim to be on the 0800 from Havant, gets into East Croydon 0939, perhaps with Norky & Davis in tow...Assuming CP's still up for some extra mileage for his stats, the run into CP will give me an idea which group to join...
  • itboffin
    Not sure which forecast you've been looking at Stu but most suggest Sunday will be the end of the world.
  • Clever Pun
    itboffin wrote:
    Not sure which forecast you've been looking at Stu but most suggest Sunday will be the end of the world.

I blame DDD
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I blame DDD

+1 He's been doing that vile rain dance again.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I blame DDD

+1 He's been doing that vile rain dance again.

*forces back sick in mouth*
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5