Social ride. 28th Feb. London.

Comments

• Stu, indeed, curious to know which forecaster says not too bad! Both metcheck and MetOffice are widely predicting doom and gloom of the weather variety.

I'll still be going out tho. Cos I'm stubborn like that. And cos I've spent FAR too many hours in my office this week.
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    StuAff wrote:
    Metcheck forecast briefly looked much better, has now reverted to previous version (?!). But not too bad, all the same. So, assuming that stays the same or improves a bit, I'm in. Will aim to be on the 0800 from Havant, gets into East Croydon 0939, perhaps with Norky & Davis in tow...Assuming CP's still up for some extra mileage for his stats, the run into CP will give me an idea which group to join...

Davis and I will be on a different train to you (from Pulborough up the Arun Valley line, I think it originates in Bognor) and we'll be getting into ECR at 09:24, but we can hang about for 15 minutes to meet you. You'll be on a folding Viner, correct? ;).

I don't know Croydon at all, but I put a 4 mile route to Crystal Palace Park into a GPS device so I'm sure we can find our way if Clever Pun can't make it for any reason.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Norky wrote:
    StuAff wrote:
    Metcheck forecast briefly looked much better, has now reverted to previous version (?!). But not too bad, all the same. So, assuming that stays the same or improves a bit, I'm in. Will aim to be on the 0800 from Havant, gets into East Croydon 0939, perhaps with Norky & Davis in tow...Assuming CP's still up for some extra mileage for his stats, the run into CP will give me an idea which group to join...

Davis and I will be on a different train to you (from Pulborough up the Arun Valley line, I think it originates in Bognor) and we'll be getting into ECR at 09:24, but we can hang about for 15 minutes to meet you. You'll be on a folding Viner, correct? ;).

I don't know Croydon at all, but I put a 4 mile route to Crystal Palace Park into a GPS device so I'm sure we can find our way if Clever Pun can't make it for any reason.

it's a real easy ride... if it's raining and looking like it's never going to stop then I'll let you know... saying that I might ride it fixed instead
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Metcheck briefly-and I mean briefly- had a rather nice forecast for Sunday. And it still isn't that bad, frankly- wind's not too strong, 6 mm of rain forecast for 9-12 am ...Still sounds better than it was for the November FNRttC (took a couple of days to dry out everything after that...).

Yup, I'll be on the Viner.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I don't want to throw a dampener on things, but the forecast for that part of Kent is grim. Sleet and rain is forecast for most of the day :cry:

I'm definately out of this one, but I'm sure the lure of the new MTB will prove to be too much for me to stay indoors. The 60 & 80 mile routes go through Penshurst, so if anyone's brave enough to do those routes stick your head in at PORC (Penshurst off-road club), it's just up the road from the vineyards, stop by and laugh at the mud covered idiot and warm yourselves up with a cuppa. I'll be there pretty much all day.

A quick heads up about the valley Penshurst is in. It's always cold and seems to attract the worst of the weather in the area. I've had blizzards and almost impassable roads there, and yet it's been completely clear by the time I hit Sevenoaks. It's great riding and countryside though so have fun guys and gals :lol: See you on the next one hopefully
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I'm out, realistically I cannot see the weather being decent; all forecasts point to it being cold and nasty. Rollers or Turbo for me thanks. Hope we can organise another social for Springtime.

To those that MTFU, chapeau.
  • stuaff
    I'm out, realistically I cannot see the weather being decent; all forecasts point to it being cold and nasty. Rollers or Turbo for me thanks. Hope we can organise another social for Springtime.

To those that MTFU, chapeau.

+1 for another one. I'd still like to get all and sundry riding round my neck of the woods for once..
    It certainly looks like Sunday will be, er, interesting. I'm going to reserve the right to bail, I think.....
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    It's mostly bright and dry in Chancery lane right now and it told me it was going to rain. I'm still undecided but if people keep dropping out I guess the decision will be made for me. :cry:

As it is I'm still going, unless it's hammering it down.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I'll be there if there if it only turns out to be a bit damp (ie no gale force winds, sleet and torrential rain) and there are enough people who will aim for an 18-19mph avg. Sorry but I'll get cold at 13-15mph, don't mind a leisurely one in summer, but not in freezing Feb. Who else is up for a quick one? Livvy - who is CP? You mean CJCP?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • DonDaddyD
    It's practically summer outside now.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Headhuunter
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Yeah, if it's like this I am SO there....
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    DonDaddyD wrote:

What country are you people living in...?

It's blowing a gale out there, trees are bending in half, small children snatched into the air never to be seen again!

It's the end of the world I tell you, now where did I put that sandwich board :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DonDaddyD
    itboffin wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

It's blowing a gale out there, trees are bending in half, small children snatched into the air never to be seen again!

The global change and climate warming bunch were right! Gather in a circle, lets sing Kumbaya. If you're not waring sandles you are not joining in!
    Food Chain number = 4

• Headhuunter
    itboffin wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

It's the end of the world I tell you, now where did I put that sandwich board :roll:

Chancery Lane area, it was gloriously sunny for a while, but seems to have gone cloudy again now...
  • DonDaddyD
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:

Precisely!

Metcheck is normally very reliable which is the worrying bit - after I whacked "Kent" into the location........Sunday is still rain and sleet :-(
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Cafewanda wrote:

You tell em girl!

so that feels like -2 with 20mph gusts and sleet, mmmh sounds like perfect cycling weather to me :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Chancery Lane area, it was gloriously sunny for a while, but seems to have gone cloudy again now...

Lovely here in Mornington Crescent.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Oddjob62 wrote:

Lovely here in Mornington Crescent.

Mornington Crescent you say? You work up near there at all or just passing by as I often ride upto Greater London House for work :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • I'll be there if there if it only turns out to be a bit damp (ie no gale force winds, sleet and torrential rain) and there are enough people who will aim for an 18-19mph avg. Sorry but I'll get cold at 13-15mph, don't mind a leisurely one in summer, but not in freezing Feb. Who else is up for a quick one? Livvy - who is CP? You mean CJCP?

I totally understand not wanting to wait - hence me being honest about my speed! CP is Clever Pun and from what he's said, he also rides at 18-19mph. I think he's coming if the weather is ok (ie some drizzle ok, torrential downpour not ok).
  • Headhuunter
    I'll be there if there if it only turns out to be a bit damp (ie no gale force winds, sleet and torrential rain) and there are enough people who will aim for an 18-19mph avg. Sorry but I'll get cold at 13-15mph, don't mind a leisurely one in summer, but not in freezing Feb. Who else is up for a quick one? Livvy - who is CP? You mean CJCP?

I totally understand not wanting to wait - hence me being honest about my speed! CP is Clever Pun and from what he's said, he also rides at 18-19mph. I think he's coming if the weather is ok (ie some drizzle ok, torrential downpour not ok).

OK then Clever Pun, if the weather's good, it's you and me getting space for everyone at the pub 1st...
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I am keeping my powder dry at the mo. I have to meet my Dad at 6am in Gatwick to give him his car keys and car...he is coming back from Barbados for the UK spring and summer (idiot). The weather looks awful too.

I am undecided as yet, if it is as bad as it looks then probably not.
  • Norky
    edited February 2010
    Livvy - who is CP? You mean CJCP?

I think CP is Clever Pun. Or Crystal Palace. But in this context
    Sounds like CP is up for a burn too
    I'm sure she means Clever Pun who has also expressed a preference for a respectable average pace.

For my part I'm likely to be slow.

edit: hmm, either browser cache or brain failure, apparently that question had already been answered and I'm way behind.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • Norky
    OK then Clever Pun, if the weather's good, it's you and me getting space for everyone at the pub 1st...

For "space" read "beer". Mine's an ale, please. And no umbrella in it.
  • Clever Pun

yup JonGinge will be with us I'm sure
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    Norky wrote:

good call, never let me have cart blanche... a mate didn't care what I got him once.. I turned round with a bright blue banana daiquiri for him
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Headhuunter
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Norky wrote:

good call, never let me have cart blanche... a mate didn't care what I got him once.. I turned round with a bright blue banana daiquiri for him

A blue banana? Damn GM food....
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Norky wrote:

A blue banana? Damn GM food....

was waiting for that, the liquid was of course coloured with blu cauracau(sp) it was rank
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • stuaff
    I'm out...I've had my fill of wet and windy riding for this weekend, after London-Brighton overnight on the FNRttC- headwind all the way, steady rain pretty much all night. I want to ride back from at least one or two this year, but the northwesterly would have meant a headwind on the return too (bad enough riding from Havant!). Was a pretty good workout though, got up Ditchling OK (yes, with the D-lock etc in the rucksack).

Good luck to the hardy guys and gal tomorrow