New Crud Road Bike Specific Mudguards

Comments

• Oddjob62 wrote:
    Was thinking of buying a winter hack, but if these are as good as they look i can keep Carly running all year :)

Carly is a winter hack, isn't she? ;)

I have always been against mudguards, because they ruin the aesthetic of the road bike, basically turning it into a tourer. But these do look very very good. Would be good to see pics from all the people in this thread who have gone ahead.

Will probably invest, if I can ever get out of bed.....
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    edited August 2009
    photo-700808.jpg

This is them fitted to my Defy 2.5. Unless you knew they were there you wouldnt notice them!
    us0.png
  • forgotrafe
    forgotrafe Posts: 637
    Flasheart Thanks. The review has certainly been popular, never had so many people reading my blog before :)

It's difficult to find detail to write about when the product is so simple and so good. But any questions please ask.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Was thinking of buying a winter hack, but if these are as good as they look i can keep Carly running all year :)

Carly is a winter hack, isn't she? ;)

Pah... what would you know :P. One of the best bang for buck steel track frame you can get with top of the range components. Ok i'll admit she's not yet seen a track but....
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Hmmm, I just tried to fit mine. The back one went on easily, seems made for the bike, really good.

The front one's not so good on my BeOne Mistral, the cable tie just doesn't seem to fit around the brake properly, there's very little clearance between the wheel and the fork on my bike, and the cable tie is just too wide/too short to fit easily, I can make it grip, but I suspect it's too tight now.

Unfortunately this means that there is some rubbing on the guard. I minimised this by removing the front tip (which had bent to an angle), but there still seems to be more friction than I'd hoped.
  • FeynmanC
    have you tried a longer/thinner cable tie? Maybe get in touch with Mr Crud, as he seemed very interested in our feedback and making sure his product worked with every bike.
    us0.png
  • I will indeed try various cable ties when I get home, I'm sure it'll be fine. I would say that they are a great looking product, all the bits fit together absolutely flush. Good shout regarding Mr Crud, I'll let them know my feedback as soon as I know what's actually wrong.
  • Right, I take it all back, I'm an idiot. Turns out the at the cable tie on the front had managed to get hooked under the mudguard on one side. I stopped after a mile or so of struggling to take them off and realised my mistake.

Crud Roadracer mudguards are back to awesome. I rode through a load of puddles tonight to test them out and they work like a dream.

Well done to Mr. Crud. :D
  • FeynmanC
    How about a pic, UndercoverElephant?
    us0.png
  • ny152
    ny152 Posts: 2
    Fitted a set to my Trek District over the weekend.

Build quality is excellent and everything pieces together very well. Instructions are clear as well and only takes about 10 minutes to fit both guards.

Took a 20 mile test ride (in the rain!!) and noticed the lack of noise coming from the guards which makes a big difference from the mudguards on my daily commuter bike. By the end of the ride, the cruds had done a reasonable job at protecing the frame (and me) from rain splashes. The rain was very heavy and I imagine with just a light shower or two they would do an even better job.

Only thing I'd like to see is a longer extension for the front of the rear mudguard so it came further down between the downpost of the frame and the wheel/chain area. Its just a little too short at the moment and leaves that section still open to the elements. Maybe Crud could offer longer extensions? That would make this just about the perfect mudguard.

Overall though, very impressed.
  • FeynmanC wrote:
    How about a pic, UndercoverElephant?

What a good idea :)

DSC08649.jpg
  • Nice! Looks like you got yours flusher to the wheels than I did.

I've just seen the weather forecast for friday. Looks like i'm going to need these for all of the 110 miles :(

Anyone fitted a sail to a bike before?
    us0.png
  • These will be available in the USA in October from us, the distributor for North America. Crud USA.

http://www.crudusa.com/product/27
  • Mines will be delivered tomorrow, I hope. Will then have to carry them home. How big is the packaging? I might use it as a sail...
  • fnegroni wrote:
    Mines will be delivered tomorrow, I hope. Will then have to carry them home. How big is the packaging? I might use it as a sail...

Only little, but in this wind it will definitely work ;)
    us0.png
  • taz3611
    taz3611 Posts: 172
    But where did you purchase said items?
  • Ribble appeared to have them in stock, purchased them two days ago, despatched today, hopefully arriving tomorrow.
  • Mine arrived from CRC today I only ordered them tue so a good turn around. Fitted them and ready to give em a go tomorrow on the way to work.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    They seem to be very much like race blades, but cheaper, all in black and having a mudflap
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,947
    vorsprung wrote:
    They seem to be very much like race blades, but cheaper, all in black and having a mudflap

Do they..........?

To my untrained eye they seem to be a totally different design.

17694_150641.jpg

rracer-mguards.jpg_e_2b8df0fbb7e5d5041995089af7f42c03.jpg

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Daniel B wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:

Do they..........?

Both the raceblades and this new crud thing clip on to the stays/fork with o rings
    Both attach in similar places
    Neither stop mud/dirt/water going in the headset from underneath
    Both will work with 23/25mm tyres
    They are both a similar length
    They are both made from plastic

To find out which is best I think you'd have to try them both out. I would guess one would be more durable than the other. I doubt that one would be noticeably better than the other at keeping the road dirt off you and your bike, but like I say you'd have to try it. If there is any apparent difference in effectiveness, I can't see it
  • vorsprung wrote:
    Both the raceblades and this new crud thing clip on to the stays/fork with o rings
    Raceblades (mine at least) use rubber strips, not O-rings
    vorsprung wrote:
    Raceblades (mine at least) don't attach to the brake mount
    vorsprung wrote:
    The crud ones look like they would, as far as mudguards can, because they extend under the headset.
    vorsprung wrote:
    True
    vorsprung wrote:
    Raceblades (mine at least) appear shorter
    vorsprung wrote:
    Raceblades (mine at least) have metal arms

You're right though, apart from this they are very similar.

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • Nobody seems to have practical experience of these guards. They look great but I'm concerned that clearance is too close and any minor 'wobble' could rub and the
    positioning brushes are a gret idea but they'll catch sand and salt on winter rides and
    may quickly become 'abrasive' brushes on the rim.

I am debating wether to get these or 'Race lades'

Any thoughts ?
    M A WOOD
  • My reviewwas updated with some practical experience, not a lot mind but because it's harvesting season the roads near me were covered in crap. Obviously no-one will have experience in salt on winter roads until the winter.

I'm doing a 65-mile ride on Sunday and will update my review after that.

HTH
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,947
    vorsprung wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:

Do they..........?

To find out which is best I think you'd have to try them both out. I would guess one would be more durable than the other. I doubt that one would be noticeably better than the other at keeping the road dirt off you and your bike, but like I say you'd have to try it. If there is any apparent difference in effectiveness, I can't see it

What Verloren articulately said :D

Mike, there seems to be plenty of reviews, including a CRC employee (?) who used them for a chariddy ride I think it said. Plus there was a Bikeradar review somewhere I thought.

Forgotrafe's excellent review here as well: http://www.forgot.co.uk/crud-roadracers/

I am going to buy 2 sets of these (Am being good and not buying online) and have asked my LBS to put a couple of sets aside for me.
    If they are really good, then I will probably get a third set for tuther bike.

I have been won over by the reviews on here, and the videos showing the fitment and what happens with potential debris etc etc

I look forward to fitting my mudguards!

How wrong does that sound :lol: :shock:

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Mine arrived this morning (I was embarrassingly excited... :oops: ) and I've just fitted them. Never had any other mudguards on my road bike, so don't have anything to compare to, but...

I found they took a bit bit of time to fit, but that was mostly because of the struggle I had to get the O-rings round the front forks (I have a Roubaix Expert and it has some reasonably aero forks). I managed to adjust them so there was no friction between guards and tyres, and then added the pile strips. Not sure if I've done it wrong, but this seems to have slowed the wheels a little (and I can hear rubbing going on). Will see if it makes any noticeable difference out on the road. May brave the winds later and go looking for puddles!

The only other comment/question is regarding the distance between the guard and tyre. The instructions say that there should be a minimum of 5mm, but I don't think there can be more than about 2 at very most underneath the brakes. Anybody else noticed this? Reckon it'll be a problem?
  • Mike Wood wrote:
    Nobody seems to have practical experience of these guards.

I've used them a few times after getting them properly fitted. On my bike, the rear is excellent, no problems at all, it spins freely, though obviously not quite as freely as before, as there is something against the rim. The front still seems to have a bit more friction than the back. It does cover the aheadset from the bottom, as it goes right beneath the fork.

The friction on the front means that the wheel brings itself to a stop with no load after about three of revolutions when spun medium fast; without the guards it would spin for an age. I do have a slight wobble on the front, so that could be it. I would say that I hear the odd brush when going slowly, rising to a slight squeak in the wet, but all in all, they make little to no difference when moving.

I ride across a quite sandy patch of promenade on my commute, I have seen nothing getting caught in the brushes.

Hope this helps.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    got some from my LBS this morning. Had to cut the rear one down so that it would fit. they ride well, im excited by them in the wet