New Crud Road Bike Specific Mudguards

Comments

• mr.crud
    mr.crud Posts: 49
    Are these going to be available through all your usual stockists or are there specific ones I should look out for?

Available to all shops from Monday.
  • Avoneer
    Avoneer Posts: 525
    Thank you Mr Crud.

Review and pics here (damn they look good):

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/j ... acer-22881

Pat...
    "Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    TommyEss wrote:
    FeynmanC wrote:
    If they fit the Defy, i'm gonna get some!

+1 I've got the "Defy Guards" at the moment, and I don't think they're up to much. By that, I mean I think they're a bit of a con.

Me - Does this bike take full mudguards?

LBS - Yes - mounting points here, here and here. Giant do their own ones which fit perfectly.

Me - Great - one please with mudguards.

Week later, pick up bike, pump tyres up to recommended pressure - rrr rrr rrr rrr rrr rrr......

Something's rubbing - WTF!?

Anyway - can't manage anything above 23mm at pressure at the moment - bit miffed as wanted to fit the same tyres on my winter steed as on my Pompino (running the GP 4000 in 25mm with the reflective sidewalls for visibility)

+1

I've got a Defy 2 with 25c tyres and found the Defy specific mud guards dissapointing. I wouldn't recommend the Defy mudguards with 25c's.

These ones from Mr Crud look great - think I'll get a set.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Avoneer wrote:
    Review and pics here (damn they look good):

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/j ... acer-22881

Pat...

It's not that they look good - i can barely see them at all, and what I can see just looks like it should have been there all along. (Nah, you're right - they do look good!)

I just hope they blend in as seamlessly on my bike.
    us0.png
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    Mr Crud, are you still here? I'm genuinely quite excited about these. They're the first guards that look good enough to fit to my bike (yes I'm a tart :oops: ) . I'll be getting a pair for the good bike for sure, but could you tell me if the front guard is able to fit to an aero fork. I've got Deda Black Streams on my fixed which have a rather deep fork leg, was just wondering if you think the rubber O'rings are flexible/strong enough to fit an aero fork or if larger rings are available. I'm dying to get a pair (or two of these).The fixed gets used the most so it would be great if I was able to fit a pair if possible.
  • mr.crud
    [quote]could you tell me if the front guard is able to fit to an aero fork.]
    [/quote]

When it comes to after-sales, we are the best. Buy yr mudguards, and if your 'O' rings don't fit, get in touch and we will send you some longer ones by return 1st class FOC. Standard ones fit a Boardman, which has deep aero forks, but we have longer rings here from our early testing program.
    Visit our website and leave a message either way.
    Best Regards, 'Mr Crud'
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,947
    mr crud,

will there be any different finishes, or will it just be black?

And as an additonal question, is there any risk, with the mudguard being so close to the tyre, that if you pick something up on the tyre (as unlikely as this may be...) that it might jam, or potentially jam solid and stop the wheel rotating?

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • mr.crud
    Hi Dan
    This all sounds a bit like an advert, but here goes...

Only in black metallic. They almost disappear visually in this shade.

Re. gravel etc. Jamie and I have increased our fitness enormously in the last 3 months by testing almost daily. We have been out exclusively on 'b' roads, purpously riding in all the crap at the side of the roads, and in all the loose gravel in the middle of the lanes. We have been on muddy tracks, ridden fast through deep puddles. It has been an odd experience. A lifetime of road riding schools you to avoid all these things, but we have had fun.
    Hand on heart, we have experienced no rubs, no clogging, no problems.
    Fit and forget.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    mr.crud wrote:
    Only in black metallic. They almost disappear visually in this shade.
    Pity, I'd have liked a metallic white option (to match my Bontrager bottle cages). With guards so nicely designed, I think they'd add a certain something to a bike.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    MERLIN HAVE THEM IN STOCK ON THEIR WEBSITE.....
  • Cyclelife also has them in stock...

http://www.cyclelife.com/Product.aspx?p ... 25&pg=4899

I've found they're the best shop, and we all owned a Raleigh at some point didn't we?

Support the Heron!
  • camerone wrote:
    MERLIN HAVE THEM IN STOCK ON THEIR WEBSITE.....

Just ordered them too. :D
  • FeynmanC
    I should have mine before 2pm tomorrow :D - but i don't currently have the bike as it's in the LBS and it's looking like i've got to cover a colleague who's taking time off, so I won't be able to get there to pick it up and fit them :(
    us0.png
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    i feel like a right chugnut, i am so excitied about a pair of bloomin mudguards!
  • Anyone worked out if these can be used with a Spesh Sirrus? I saw someone more or less scrapped this idea on his because of the V-Brakes.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    In the BR review I commented and included 2 youtube vid links

Install
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJuJXk8aJs8

Crash test
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55thL5q6hxs

To me it looks like you can put a bolt through the fork crown with some spacer for the cable tie to attatch to and similar on the rear brakebridge which should be a standard m5 bolt
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,947
    Those are very good videos, looks like a very well thought out, clever and yet simple design.

Well I am sold, 2 pairs are on the shopping list, wonder if my LBS will stock them.....

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Avoneer
    Avoneer Posts: 525
    Well I've got mine and they are really cool - will post some pics later.

And the fit my Defy 4 so should fit all the Giant Defy alu frames.

Pat...
    "Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"
  • redvee
    Going to pop into the local cyclelife later this morning and order a pair for when the money comes in.
  • FeynmanC
    I have mine in my hands now - they weigh nothing! :D

I'll try fitting later on this afternoon as I did manage to get my bike from the LBS this morning.
    us0.png
  • redvee
    Mine on order but I need some 25 tyres first and source a long bolt for the fork crown to hang the cabletie on. A session of fettle next weekend me thinks. New wheel, new tyres and guards for the rest of the 'summer'
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    None in stock in Brum, oh well, it's not like it rains in utopia anyway :?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • FeynmanC
    Rear one "soft" fitted in a few minutes, but i'm going to hold off sticking the "floating brush" thingies until I get home and can give the surfaces a good clean before hand.

Plus i've got some 23 tyres to replace my 25s and that may change the fit slightly too.

Looks good so far though.
    us0.png
  • FeynmanC
    Nice review forgotrafe.

Those with Defy's, I can confirm that they fit...just!

I've not been out for a ride with them, but they are on and there is just enough clearance for the tyres not rub. I have a feeling they'll still need some tinkering but they look gorgeous and just blend into the bike.
    us0.png
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Just ordered some of these, should make my Nero Corsa more appropriate for rainy days.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Was thinking of buying a winter hack, but if these are as good as they look i can keep Carly running all year :)
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • redvee
    Hopefully got the fittings sorted out for my bike with v-brakes but till I ger the guards I won't know wether the solution I've devised will work. Done this for the front and will do the same for the rear if I can get the same fitting on tuesday from 'work'.

dsc030.th.jpg
  • FeynmanC
    edited August 2009
    Redvee, from how mine fitted that should work OK.

Just don't do the ties up too tightly, which I did to start with. It pulls the guards out of their circular shape enough to cause rubbing, at least on the Defy, which has very low clearance between the tyre and brake callipers.
    us0.png
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Look just the ticket. I'll get a set for the beast.
    Nice review btw Forgotrafe :wink:
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/