Armstrong vs Contador

Comments

• Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Is that round one to Contador then?
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • I think AC's attack had to do with Evans just sucking Astana's wheels. He wanted to make his rivals work harder. No gifts. The head wind make counters very hard. Not a good sign for the rest of the rivals that they lost more time but it's early still and I did not expect fireworks.
    Astana was awesome. Lance/Levi are right there if something happens to AC.

Levi had to ride up a false flat to get back on after crashing and then do the climb. Impressive.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Perhaps Lance will now realise that Bertie knows something about the Tour de France ;)
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    I think AC's attack had to do with Evans just sucking Astana's wheels. He wanted to make his rivals work harder. No gifts. The head wind make counters very hard. Not a good sign for the rest of the rivals that they lost more time but it's early still and I did not expect fireworks.

Levi had to ride up a false flat to get back on after crashing and then do the climb. Impressive.

Did you watch the same race I did? Evans sucking wheels? You call starting off the attacking "sucking wheels"? He was the first to pounce! Contador was right on his wheel in a few pedal strokes. Armstrong took a good 10-20 seconds to grind back up to Contador's wheel.

The wind prevented a group from catching a lone rider? :shock:

Anyways, Contador beat Armstrong in a TT and is clearly better on the climbs. Contador should be team leader. That's about it, no?
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    edited July 2009
    Yes. I couldn't help myself cheering for AC when he jumped, I loved it.
  • drenkrom wrote:
    I think AC's attack had to do with Evans just sucking Astana's wheels. He wanted to make his rivals work harder. No gifts. The head wind make counters very hard. Not a good sign for the rest of the rivals that they lost more time but it's early still and I did not expect fireworks.

Did you watch the same race I did? Evans sucking wheels? You call starting off the attacking "sucking wheels"? He was the first to pounce! Contador was right on his wheel in a few pedal strokes. Armstrong took a good 10-20 seconds to grind back up to Contador's wheel.

The wind prevented a group from catching a lone rider? :shock:

Anyways, Contador beat Armstrong in a TT and is clearly better on the climbs. Contador should be team leader. That's about it, no?

Mainly, Evans sucked AC wheel all day. Yes, Evans did attack, once, AC chased him down, Lance came around and sat on Evans. Then Jurgen van den Broeck went out and Lance and Koldi went around Evans to chase. At that point Evans was just sitting. He would have sat on waiting for Lance and Klodi to catch and may have attacked again. AC didn't let that happen. The heavy wind was going head, tail, head, tail, up the switchbacks, AC sprinted downwind getting the gap, went around the corner and they were chasing him into that wind. Not a chance. Brilliant. His attack negated any counterattack from Evans.

Today's race dictated who the leader was.. in this race. AC attacked and Lance did what bike racing dictates.

Now they are 2 seconds apart. Other races may dictate different scenarios and these proffessionals will do what racing dictates.

Yes, the headwind finish made attacking very hard. Credit AC for his power.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Evans sucked?
    I thought that's what Astana wanted him to do.
    That's the idea of the train: suck or drop off.
    Evans did neither. He attacked. Bertie didn't wait for him to go again.
    Don't forget, he's seen the "new" Evans at the Dauphine.

At the end of the day, very little difference.
    The three stages that will decide the race are over a week away.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Evans sucked?
    I thought that's what Astana wanted him to do.
    That's the idea of the train: suck or drop off.
    Evans did neither. He attacked. Bertie didn't wait for him to go again.
    Don't forget, he's seen the "new" Evans at the Dauphine.

At the end of the day, very little difference.
    The three stages that will decide the race are over a week away.

Poor guy just doesn't have enough team. Although Jurgen van den Broeck's move there was pretty good if Contador hadn't countered it sailing down that section so fast he had to brake in an uphill turn when he ran all over the motorcycles.

It bugs me when the motorbikes don't stay out of it. The first bike took AC's inside line away and the other created a draft for fifty yards going into that wind.
  • Manaru
    Manaru Posts: 18
    Armstrong looked awsome today. I didn't think Contador's attack was that great either because he sort of sprinted off but didn't keep it going that well. I wish they were both on different teams so Lance could chase him down, and destroy him!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Manaru wrote:
    Armstrong looked awsome today. I didn't think Contador's attack was that great either because he sort of sprinted off but didn't keep it going that well. I wish they were both on different teams so Lance could chase him down, and destroy him!

There was nothing stopping Armstrong attacking first, you know. Or maybe there was... his legs perhaps.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Manaru wrote:

So this is the spin a losing Lance is going to get? He was really better than Contador, would have destroyed him, but unfortunately had to obey team orders? Puhlease
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Manaru wrote:

Haha. The rest were going hammer and tongs, especially Lance but just couldn't catch up to Contador. Lance beating Contador in the mountains! In you dreams maybe...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Manaru wrote:

Haha. The rest were going hammer and tongs, especially Lance but just couldn't catch up to Contador. Lance beating Contador in the mountains! In you dreams maybe...

Maybe, ya never know.
  • frenchfighter
    Lance's view: http://www.velonews.tv/?bclid=199546500 ... 9100631001

"That wasn't really the plan...but I didn't expect him to stick to the plan, so no surprise"

LOL, you better get used to Contador ripping your fat legs and black nikes off you.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    LMAO @1min - BACK UP!!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    It's a bit like 'Armstrong would have won all the Classics - if he'd ridden them' and 'Lance would have won the Giro - if he'd wanted to'.

I thought Armstrong's face like thunder and Contador's huge grin in the last km really told you all you needed to know about just who has the measure of who.

I am puzzled though - if Armstrong's intention is to appear to be clean, wouldn't it make more sense to be a good teammmate and ride in support instead of trying to look like the Armstrong of old? Or does he think he's fooled enough of the people?
  • frenchfighter
    "It was not a coup," said Contador. "I had nothing special in mind. But I'm on my terrain and I really enjoyed riding in the mountain so close to home."

And Contador insisted his lead over Armstrong did not mean much.

"It does not make me the team leader. Only the race will decide on the leader," he said.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    AP Photo.

"Now look here Contador, show some respect. I won 7 already you know"

610x.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Reuters

"Sorry, slow down did you say....speak up I can't hear you...it's cutting out"

610x.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I remember during the Giro, certain folk rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of Armstrong getting his arse handed to him at the Tour. Now they're jumping with joy cos he's 2 seconds behind Contador on GC.

There certainly does seem to have been a downgrading of expectations by some...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Well, he could have always ridden in circles, waiting for the old buffer to catch up.

It was always going to be a case of his legs giving out before his mouth.

So, Lance, stage 3 was just riding smart, including putting to team mates on the front, to pull and today was treachery?
    Right, of course.... :roll:

A case of the biter bit, I would say. More chewing to come, too.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    Well, he could have always ridden in circles, waiting for the old buffer to catch up.

So, Lance, stage 3 was just riding smart, including putting to team mates on the front, to pull and today was treachery?

Seriously ... wtf are you talking about ??? what would you have advised as DS ??
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • frenchfighter
    edited October 2012
    That is why I respect Contador. He lets his LEGS do the TALKING. And guess what - they work.

Contador has quality friends. Not movie stars.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    rockmount wrote:

Seriously ... wtf are you talking about ??? what would you have advised as DS ??

you mean you dont have a million pictures of 'bertie' (ffs) under your pillow, specially laminated for protection? or lance on a dartboard in the garage. my god man are you quite mad?
  • rockmount
    edited July 2009
    That is why I respect Contador.
    So who is your next avatar ???or shall we wait until the next stage result :lol::lol::lol: the highest placed finisher with a photo available via gooooooogle maaaaaaan :lol::lol:
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    this is the same albert contador who rode for liberty seguras isnt it? just checking thats all. lots of love for someone who by the guilty by association rules of the forum is dirty as sh1t.

if valverde is anything to go by he wont be here next year....
  • frenchfighter
    Not sure if you are referring to the photos I posted camerone...words can get a little boring sometimes don't you think. A photo here and there certainly makes things more interesting.

Incidentally I don't have millions but I do have hundreds of superb photos that I have edited. I love this sport and the photos are a part of that.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    rockmount wrote:
    So who is your next avatar ???or shall we wait until the next stage result :lol::lol::lol: the highest placed finisher with a photo available via gooooooogle maaaaaaan :lol::lol:

You have demonstrated two tactics of those on the defensive and in the wrong. Firstly you abuse me. Secondly you change the subject.

I pity people like you as you are treading on thin air.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Thanks for the photo of Bahamontes - a very charming gent and an extraordinary rider - would have loved to see him in his prime
  • rockmount
    rockmount wrote:

You have demonstrated two tactics of those on the defensive and in the wrong. Firstly you abuse me. Secondly you change the subject.

I pity people like you as you are treading on thin air.
    :lol::lol: In the words of .... I pity the fool !!! .. :lol::lol::lol: