Armstrong vs Contador

dave_1
dave_1 Posts: 9,512
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Looks like the start of some tension...brilliant :D just hope LA is going well enough that Contador has to fight for it

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-le ... -at-astana

But in an exclusive interview granted to French newspaper L'Equipe, Lance Armstrong said he was unaware of Contador being the team captain.

"When we made the selection of the team, we made it very clear that Alberto would be the leader of the team at the start of the race," Bruyneel said. "He's wearing number 21, and I discussed this with Lance, that I wanted him to have the 21. It's a sign of how we value him and how we respect him for what he has done. We could have had an alphabetical order, just to avoid any polemics - but then Lance would have had the 21."

In the French newspaper, however, Armstrong said that he did not understand why Bruyneel announced the Spaniard as the team's leader on the official Astana website. "I've asked Johan to explain that to me, because if there's going to be a leader, then everybody should know it," he was quoted as saying.

"It would be better to be open and honest. If you say that there's a leader, that's it, then everyobody works for him. But this discussion never took place... Most people consider Alberto as the favourite and I think that he is the best stage race rider. But you shouldn't forget Leipheimer."

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    2_0040244_1_thumb2.jpg

"Ouch! Who did that? Can someone please take that knife outta my back por favor?"

2_0040258_1_thumb2.jpg

"Yeah, it was me, big 'ol Tex...I confess.....NO WAIT I TAKE THAT BACK!!!!"
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Interesting that Contador isn't wearing the yellow wristband.

As for Armstrong talking about 'being open and honest' - one word: CAITLIN
  • colint
    colint Posts: 1,707
    Roll on the first mountain stage when they're both in contention, it should be dynamite ! Wonder how the team will split up ? Cadel won't know which wheel to follow
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    micron wrote:

As for Armstrong talking about 'being open and honest' - one word: CAITLIN
    YAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.................ZZZZZZZZZZZ
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • dave_1
    edited July 2009
    this Astana team is over in 3 weeks time...Bruyneel gone, LA gone...he is there in is bike shop jersey in Monaco...AC must be wondering...that team will not work as a unit, no way
  • colint
    colint Posts: 1,707
    Absolutely, I'm sure AC has promised a few euro here and there to recruit some new domestiques, you'd guess all but 1 or 2 will support LA
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    Lance is very media savvy. anyone reckon that he may be making these comments to whip the media into a frenzy? him and JB are so close i cannot image that Lance wasnt involved in the team leader decision....
  • Sun Dodger
    Sun Dodger Posts: 393
    Could this be better - it's Hinault vs Lemond again.

Sit back and enjoy :D
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    colint wrote:
    Cadel won't know which wheel to follow
    Which is extremely valuable for the astana boys. Valuable enough for Lance to pretend that his best friend and confidant Bruyneel doesn't talk to him about fundamental issues regarding the tour...

whether "the road decides", whether the numbers on the jerseys are clues, whether Bruyneel made some inadvertent "indiscreet" announcement that contador is leader, whether astana have 1,2,3 or even 4 riders capable of winning the GC - they ain't gonna tell us.

first instalment tomorrow. I can't wait for the talking to stop!
  • dave_1
    Sun Dodger wrote:

absolutely...who can say they aren't glad Lance A is back?...it's got the ingredients for something like 86 if LA is going well..what could be better for the race and cyling?
  • dave_1
    I bet Leiphemer and LA are not happy Contador vetoed Horner's selection for team... reckon LA will be isolated within the team?
  • Sun Dodger
    Sun Dodger Posts: 393
    Dave_1 wrote:
    I bet Leiphemer and LA are not happy Contador vetoed Horner's selection for team... reckon LA will be isolated within the team?

I would give good money they are not too happy, but you never know when they let it show.

If they wait 'till the next book, then professional, but boring. If not, then an interesting tour ahead :?:
  • diarmuid
    diarmuid Posts: 73
    Was at the presentation yesterday, The tension between the two was palatable. You can even see it in the pictures
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,042
    Dave_1 wrote:

I bet Vino was behind that. JB/LA/LL all wanted Horner in. How did AC manage to over-rule?
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    diarmuid wrote:
    Was at the presentation yesterday, The tension between the two was palatable. You can even see it in the pictures

Great pictures. They don't look happy.
    LA looks in much better shape than at the Giro. I expect them both to do well, just hope it's fun.
    exercise.png
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    LA has the look of a man who has a little trick up his sleeve.. Something ain't right..

Contador looks like he is super stressed..
    cartoon.jpg
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I'd say Contador looks bored shitless rather than stressed, which is about normal from what I saw the presentation.
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    micron wrote:

Apparently it leaves an indelible stain, worse than if you hissed yourself
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    diarmuid wrote:

It's no doubt nothing significant..but why is Lance's Jersey subtly different to the others ? Less yellow on the shoulders, a different design.
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    cArmaswrong has done everything right , especially if your aunty is Jesus's mothers sister. This will indeed be the funniest Tour free Dance ever and I don't think the brides a virgin, not yet anyway.
  • crimsondynamo
    crimsondynamo Posts: 246
    edited July 2009
    At 9/1 old Mr Cuddles (as they're calling Cadel Evans) looks decent value, especially if there's an Astana civil war.

No matter how much you fancy AC, even money is far too stiff a price.
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    micron: Interesting that Contador isn't wearing the yellow wristband.

neither are Kloden, Paulinho, Murayev, Rast, Popovych and Zubeldia....
  • le patron wrote:
    diarmuid wrote:

It's no doubt nothing significant..but why is Lance's Jersey subtly different to the others ? Less yellow on the shoulders, a different design.

Yea maybe its just a older jersey or something- Lance seems abit OCD about his kit and equipment. Despite not being official team leader he looks to have made an effort to make himself stand out from the rest of the team- he has white kicks and everyone else's are dark. Plus that garish bike. (thats ok though cos its promoting a good cause hey?)

I think this is all rope 'a' dope anyway, Lance and Alberto are probably best of friends behind closed doors... The more confusion and stuff surrounding the team is a good smoke screen for Bruyneel to work his tactical magic and engineer another tour win (whoever the winner may be?) I can imagine the twinkle in his eye as he fondly regales the story a couple of years down the line!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    diarmuid wrote:

Thanks for the photos, as I didn't catch the presentation. I particularly liked Cav in his shades. And Pozzato's Italian champ jersey is horrible (IMO)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    Superb!! I wonder what LA has printed on his downtube??? CIGD (Contador Is Going Down) :lol: Sly fox...old Lancey boy :twisted:
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    TBH, I can't see Lance beating Contador, it's not just becaus I'm not a lance fan either! Contador has won all 3 GTs, he is the real deal. Levi, is good, but not great and Lance well he is an all time great, but he hasn't followed his usual run up to the tour, which was a crucial part of his 7 wins, furthermore, his age is against him.

Furthermore whilst Bruyneel and LA are pretty dam close, he does have his post lance career to think about, as far as I can see, that future lies with AC, and Bruyneel would be wise to keep in ACs good books.

All in all, I think they are just trying to get publicity, and it's certainly working.

OTOH, I might be completely wrong, but whilst LA might be telling himself that he'll be a contender for yellow, I can't see him keeping up with AC in the mountains, or gaining enough time in the TTs. Sooner or later he'll have to accept that.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Sun Dodger wrote:

absolutely...who can say they aren't glad Lance A is back?...it's got the ingredients for something like 86 if LA is going well..what could be better for the race and cyling?

The good thing about 86 is that people only ever talk about the race, not about anything else. Obviously the team politics were part of the race, but it wasn't like recent years where people have tried to find the smallest stories and tried to turn them into stories that will damage the Tour. I just hope for some good stories coming out of this Tour rather than the monotony of past years when it has been doom and gloom.
  • pedalpower
    pedalpower Posts: 138
    I find it amazing all these discussions about Astana leadership completely ignore Kloeden. He's got a far superior record to Leipheimer and proved it again today. He's twice come second in the Tour, same as Evans.
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    RichN95 wrote:
    diarmuid wrote:

Thanks for the photos, as I didn't catch the presentation. I particularly liked Cav in his shades. And Pozzato's Italian champ jersey is horrible (IMO)

Roche's Irish champ jersey, however, is superb.
  • pedalpower
    pedalpower Posts: 138
    "palatable"? :wink: