Phil & Paul's Cycling Cliche Bingo

Comments

• nosmo-king
    nosmo-king Posts: 47
    Paul had a " Carry On" moment leading up to Mt Ventoux. As the camera tracked one of the planes fighting the forest fire, Paul said. " He's coming around now to drop his load." oooer matron!!
    Here's a box,a musical box. Wound up and ready to play.
    (brian Cant,Camberwick Green).
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    There are a couple of funny podcasts on that page. "Phil and Pauls furry friends of the Tour de France" is good too.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    'Heads of state' is the one that really annoys me. What's wrong with just saying GC contenders or overall leaders? Clowns.

I watched a bit of the ITV highlights last night and spotted some more:

"David Millar's legs will be burning like a bonfire"

"David Millar goes into the tunnel, and he's going to come out at the sharp end of this Tour de France"

I think the fact this thread is 11 pages long says it all really.
  • swiss01
    swiss01 Posts: 8
    dancing on the pedals- the found poetry of phil liggett

anyone?

or is it just me?
  • I'm sorry but I had to bump this thread. I watched the ITV4 coverage today and Phil & Paul did not disappoint in the bingo stakes.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They were, in fact, freaking annoying!
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    Kléber wrote:
    "Oh Phil, a flamingo!"

For a short moment of editing genius, go here:
    http://www.bicycleradio.com/
    Click on the itunes podcast link (you need itunes, I can't find a non-itunes link)
    Then listen to "Tour de France Stage 13" 8)

Number 54, Tour de Twitter is pretty funny too!
  • secretsqizz
    secretsqizz Posts: 424
    Amazingly they even managed to drop in the damndable
    COLUMBIA TRAIN reference wooo wooo

even in a bleedin indiv TT
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    the most alan partridge like one I heard referenced was there was some rider called Vladimir Carpets who was caught on a break, and one of them said something Like " It's curtains for carpets " or something????? :shock:
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    I think the Its curtains for Carpets was by David Duffirld - probably the moment when they decided to promote David Harmon.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I love how Phil will trot out the Eugene Christophe story 4 times on any day the race climbs the east side of the Tourmalet.

We had a competition on our Tourmalet ride this year as to who could do the most convincing rendition.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Phil has this stream of conciousness thing going on. During the prologue he went into this funk about advantage-Armstrong-and-not-Contador-but-last-year-they-were-on-the-same-team-they-are-the-angels-who-fly-in-the-mountains.
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    Curtains for Karpets...I absolutely LOVED that one !!! i still chuckle regularly on the back of it, whenever he's racing...genius
  • neilmacd
    neilmacd Posts: 128
    Sherwen's comment on yesterdays stage - so and so is doing a job of work for his team leader - WTF is that all about (sorry can't remember what riders were involved but I thought it was typical Sherwen.

His ramble about the cathedral in one of the suburbs of Belgium even sounded like he was reading the local tourist info brochure.

Favourite moment from yesterday was when he said "We're nearing the port of Antwerpen" Liggett was quickly on his case saying or Antwerp as we call it in English

Anyone know where Duffield is this year - has he finally been put out to pasture with his Brompton?
    Scott CR1 Team
    Bitsa training bike. Bitsa this Bitsa that.......
    I'd rather quit than buy from Halfords
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    I remember when ever Pascal Lino got into a break there were comments about "He's putting the power down on the floor" etc

There was also lots of confusion re: Belli Elli and Lelli
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    My favourite from yesterday was "they're sliding the missile into the tube", the idea of launching the cavmeister like an intercontinental ballistic missile made me grin all evening.
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    neilmacd wrote:
    His ramble about the cathedral in one of the suburbs of Belgium even sounded like he was reading the local tourist info brochure.

He is. All of the press get given a huge book which details all of the points of interest on the route. Sherwen regularly tries to pass it off as personal knowledge (a little tongue in cheek in think(.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    For Sherwen 'Front' or 'Back' is never enough it has to be 'front end' and back end' of every bunch, peleton, group comment he makes. I managed about 30 minutes of this yesterday before resorting to Eurosport.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Personally I was "amazed at the interesting building the riders are about to pass under, which is in fact; the law courts which were designed by the architect Richard Rogers and symbolized the sails of trade ships. The entire building is steel and glass; and ......" my girlfriend said "I now have this on in the afternoon as it's like having a mad old aunt rambling in the corner". Her first time having to watch the TdF and she has summed it up quite succinctly.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    sherwen's going on about 'machines' rather than 'bikes'. strictly speaking hes correct but hes still a helmet.

give me harmon and kelly any day- sadly the cable subs ended before the tour
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • joosed
    joosed Posts: 24
    Early in today's coverage Paul referred to yesterday's stage finish as "a bit of a damp squid". LOL :)
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    'bike race..... bike ride...... bike race..... bike rider' Aaaaaargh!!!!!
    What ever happened to the terms cycle race and cyclist?
    You wouldn't even know that Ligget was British by the scant regard he gave to Thomas and Wiggins today!
  • just spent the last 20 mins reading through all this a laughing remembering all of thsoe random things.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    I love these two guys working in tandem 'see what I did'. Personally they bring class to the highlights and I prefer these two to the dreadfully monotone, succint views of sean Kelly!
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    certaintly not. that is majorly heresy.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • It's now 'Bernie' Eisel and 'Micky' Rogers, according to Sherwin.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I've just watched the ITV highlights and Liggitt said 'Leakygas'!!!!! Screams :o
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • 'The heads of state' was, er, wheeled out today.

(Hello.)
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    yesterday Phil said "And look at Pavel Brutt, he IS a brute!"

and also after Armstrong had a flat there was something like "Armstrong looks like a miner from the forest of Arenberg, he's got black all over his face"

Best one from monday's stage was "the Schlecks really are a tough pair of customers" ironic considering Frank's early exit.

We've started adding the day's best PhilandPaulism to the wallchart
  • boyfriday
    boyfriday Posts: 103
    I am sure that around 45mins after Frank's crash, Paul chipped in with....

"it's been a good day for the Schleck's, except Frank who had that nasty crash".