Phil & Paul's Cycling Cliche Bingo

Comments

• mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    Phil-: "This is the kind of day you want both men across the line 1st, a dead heat......... it won't happen".

It gets more partridge like every day! Think I'll need to switch from David and Sean on Eurosport to ITV just for the calssic comments.
  • vikingdel
    vikingdel Posts: 24
    Basques loving their sport of cycling :D
  • I think you meant "the sport of professional cycling".
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    dougzz wrote:
    I think on Saturday or Sunday they went with "Goodnight Vienna"

Classic.
    worse - he actually said 'goodbye vienna' ... couldn't even get the cliche right.

muppet.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • Robin123
    Robin123 Posts: 5
    [Roadside supporters in fancy dress / speedos / Borat mankinis running along side the riders]

"They must be Australians"
  • I had forgotten this one... but last night on the highlights show Sherwen said "It's a case of bridge to engine room - more power - and there is none there". Likening a rider who's cracked to the starship enterprise in a force-field has got to be worth 10 points.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    "It's a case of bridge to engine room - more power - and there is none there".

That one's going up on my bedroom wall.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    And of course there's no point in taking any risks on these slippery roads

Those white lines are deadly in the wet.

and a new one for this year "Boonen is having a terrible/shocker of a tour this year"
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • attica
    Cycling Plus August 2009, Page 104, the review of the Hincapie top, you guessed it, "Big George"

I claim my prize
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    "bridge to engine room - more power - and there is none there".

Whenever I'm struggling up a hill on by bike, I can hear this in the background!!
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Phil even mentioned early on yesterday, whilst they were riding in the valley, that "one of my favourite phrases" might be used later when they're struggling on the climb
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    How many times did they use the word "unhitched" when men went backwards yesterday?

Having no Eurosport sucks.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • attica
    and Cancellara "put it in reverse" after his turn at the front.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    And the new one:

"I think Lance Armstrong has done an admirable job. You know Phil, he's 38, I mean 37. And he's been out of cycling for 3.5 years'.

How often are we going to hear this over the next 6 days????
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    This is something special, and they have gone up in my estimation!

http://twitpic.com/azscr
  • Rob4
    Rob4 Posts: 75
    they are both sheer class.
  • Harry Hill
    Harry Hill Posts: 114
    Despite everything - I like them both. I've been listening since the 80's!
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • Rob4
    Rob4 Posts: 75
    ...and these riders will reach speeds of up to 65mph on this descent...

(with 65 really accentuated in classic Paul style)
  • wasp707
    wasp707 Posts: 116
    The quote I liked from Sherwin yesterday was:

"He's finished his job of work". Brilliant! Can't remember who he was referring to though.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Rob4 wrote:
    ...and these riders will reach speeds of up to 65mph on this descent...

(with 65 really accentuated in classic Paul style)

Sherwen criticisms aside, he knew a thing or two about descending in his days as a pro. Anyone remember his segment as part of the Kellogg's Tour coverage years ago when he demonstrated how to descend Holme Moss at 60mph? And making it look easy-peasy.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    There's also the constant reminder of the blindingly obvious, that "this is the rear of the peleton, where you really don't want to be..."
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Further to the "prawns" remark:

If they were cooked they were probably riding for Lampre.

If they were tiger prawns Silence/Lotto

If they were Liquigas prawns, don't eat them!

I know it's late but i put a great deal of effort into working it out and wasn't going to waste it :oops:

P & P are a class act IMO, other brands are inferior by far.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    So which one of you lot emailed them the other day to ask just how big, "Big George Hincapie" was?

Genius.
  • epr
    epr Posts: 26
    The other day, "Team Astana are completely controlling the front end of the peloton, just like they did in the years 1999 to 2005".

The thing that annoys me about this, apart from the fact that it's obvious bunkum, is that it is a mistake that could only have been made by someone with a completely Lance-centric view of cycling; i.e., teams are defined by the fact that Armstrong is a member. It's not USPS, or Discovery, or Astana, just "Team Lance".

That said, I do enjoy the ITV4 programmes very much, and P&P are part of the pro cycling scenery for me.
  • CHRISNOIR wrote:
    Add points every time Paul mentions hydro-electric dams ("The French are very big on hydroelecrics, Phil...")

I believe the full quote from the Alpe D'Huez stage last year was....

You know Phil the French are very much the artisans of hydro electric power
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    Add points every time Paul mentions hydro-electric dams ("The French are very big on hydroelecrics, Phil...")

I believe the full quote from the Alpe D'Huez stage last year was....

You know Phil the French are very much the artisans of hydro electric power

This year comments about wind farms seem to be in favour, so next year would appear to be the turn of either tidal, nuclear or fossil fuel power stations. :wink:

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    "You know Phil the French are very much the artisans of hydro electric power"
    Fantastic! Would any other commentator employ the word 'artisan' here? Probably not, the bloody amateurs...
    This year comments about wind farms seem to be in favour, so next year would appear to be the turn of either tidal, nuclear or fossil fuel power stations. :wink:
    Yeah! it's all been about windmills recently hasn't it? Does France use much solar power? Could be next years power-of-choice.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    One of Paul's:

"This is the man who..."
    *goes on to give a brief highlight of a particular rider's recent Tour/career history*

I love ITV
  • attica
    From todays stage
    "...and soandso has already built up an impressionable lead"

Not exactly a cliche but more in the vein of the commentating greats that are David "Colemanballs" Coleman and Murray "Boot is on the other Schumacher" Walker
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • simon johnson
    simon johnson Posts: 1,064
    He's 'really turning the screws' to catch that break-away

:D
    Where\'s me jumper?