Phil & Paul's Cycling Cliche Bingo

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Phil: "Thats what the sport of professional cycling is all about" +1 pt
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • LOL (but with affection for both commentators).

Racked my brains to add something new. Seeing the post relating to "big" Jan (Ullrich) reminded me that Paul used to refer to the (big) diesel engine, especially when Jan was "mano mano" with LA in the mountains. I suspect this term has been used in relation to "big" Jens Voight also. As well as others. Call it 5 points?
  • I almost got 20pts from one sentence yesterday, so perhaps we need to redress the balance a little with some point deductions.

can I suggest:

-1pt : for every time Sherwin mentions Lance Armstrong, or "7 times winner of"
    -2pts: for "the great Lance Armstrong"
    -5pts for the combo "the great Lance Armstrong, 7 times winner of TDF"
    -10pts: for the supersized combo "the great Lance Armstrong, 37yrs old now, 7 times winner of TDF, can he make it 8?"
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • I think I might kill this thread with this post, but, Phil managed to avoid using 'big' before the name Jens Voight yesterday on at least two occassions. Blimey!

Strangely, because the stage was a bit different to normal the commentary was a bit more interesting.
  • mister oy
    mister oy Posts: 81
    ....just got time for some of your emails.....
  • that one is worth double points if Phil & Paul are wearing matching shirts (like they are a couple at a friend's civil partnership ceremony).

Phil & Paul: of course we all think you are brilliant and we love all the cliches - keep them coming (just like the emails).
  • cedargreen
    cedargreen Posts: 189
    Just watched highlights of the opening time trial on ITV player

..' he's rocked everyone's boat here in the harbour'

...'he's bashing on those pedals like he's working down a coal mine'

'''those Aussie fans must be hoping Cadel Evans is going to bounce up there like a
    kangaroo'

Strictly speaking, these are probably not really clichees, more like simile/ metaphor gone wrong. Still I think they do a pretty good job in difficult circumstances- most of the time its hard to tell riders apart - especially with helmets/ shades. Even the team colours are not that distinctive in recent years with a lot of pale blue/ yellow/ white combinations.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Anyone else notice that long flat stages usually co-incide with a 'request' to see some landscape shots? Cue nice two-or-three-minute-filling-montage of castles and stuff...
  • Ratkilla
    Ratkilla Posts: 230
    'corridor of noise ' ...
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    beatsystem wrote:
    Once again its very easy to knock these people,if your all so f ....ing clever why dont you do it.

if you could get me an interview..................................mind you your grammar indicates you're probably flipping burgers :D
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Some great lines above. Part PTP, part Mornington Crescent.

I remember going to see a stage finish years ago and watching the pair doing a piece to camera. They were dressed in shirt and tie... but from the waist down it was shorts and trainers. It's hard to take them seriously now.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Sherwin ~ "The big face of Thor Hushovd..."

Fantastic :D
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    "Thats why they call him the god of thunder"

But 'they' don't do they Paul.... :roll:
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    On the other side Phil Ligit's Sidequick was heard to comment on the Sacrada Familia church by Gaudi as being A 15th century church. I think he then said Gaudi was brought in to do a bit of work around the place but his plans were upside down, Hell above us and all that.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    They love their cycling in this part of France.
  • drumon
    drumon Posts: 175
    "David Millar has got a big engine" or something like that....was predictable!
  • Chris_Who
    Chris_Who Posts: 137
    johnfinch wrote:
    Paul and Phil - if you read this, please compare any rider of your choosing to a wildebeest over the next few weeks. Thank you.

I listened to the ITV4 podcast for stage 5 and Matt Rendell referred to Phil doing a line about Cancellara which he couldn't quite remember but had thought it worth mentioning where he called him
    "...something like a beast a massive beast? or something like that"

I wonder, might it have been Wildebeest? Did we all miss this?

Keep it up P&P

Fat people are so insensitive
  • "It's those dangerous white lines Phil!" Did Boonen crash on one of those.........?
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    "It's those dangerous white lines Phil!" Did Boonen crash on one of those.........?

Makes a change from him having trouble with the usual variety! :wink:

Why does Sherwen keep referring to the event as 'the bike race' rather than just 'the race'? Is there some other event going on in the background that we don't know about? Or is for the hard-of-understanding who might accidentally tune in assuming that any tarmac-based racing involves motorsport? :?

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Little kiss from Tom Boonen there........ that's for the ladies by the way :D

(Phil)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mettan wrote:
    Little kiss from Tom Boonen there........ that's for the ladies by the way :D

(Phil)

Awesome.

Simply awesome.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    .............. that would be a turn up for the French............. if they won in Andorra ........wouldn't it.

Phil :D
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Why does Paul always precede the word "race" with either "bike" or "cycle"? I thought it was pretty obvious which sport I was watching.
  • Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    definitely heard "it's mano o mano now" from phil on tonights highlights as Contador attacked.

Classic
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Yep, they're bike riders, riding their machines in this professional bike race, and the boys were tapping out a rhythm on that climb today.
  • alan14
    alan14 Posts: 149
    Paul: "Mick Rogers involved in a nasty crash yesterday and obviously in a whole host of hurt."

And why are they calling him Mick Rogers this year?
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    "The highlight of his [Brice Feillu's] short bicycling career"

Bicycling career??
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Sherwen used the phrase 'in old money' when discussing riders' speeds at the weekend. Have they now resorted to using Duffisms as well as their own stock expressions? :wink:
    Also at least one inevitable mention of "big George Hincapie"; as with Jens Voigt, there must be some clause in Phil & Paul's ITV contracts requiring both riders' names to be preceded by said adjective at all times....

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    just watching the rest day programme on itv4 and its a veritable cornucopia of ligget and sherwen verbal cliche :D

does sherwen have some sort of crush on armstrong would he like to be 'mano a mano" with him? :shock:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I think on Saturday or Sunday they went with "Goodnight Vienna"

Classic.