Phil & Paul's Cycling Cliche Bingo

Comments

• Paul slipped up yesterday and mentioned "The sport of cycling". Spot the missing word.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I'm impressed by Paul's encyclopedic knowledge of the chateaux of France.
    Truly incredible - he knows enough to write a book...
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    pottssteve wrote:
    I'm impressed by Paul's encyclopedic knowledge of the chateaux of France.
    Truly incredible - he knows enough to write a book...
    Err, that's because commentators get given a book that includes landmarks for each stage, from chateaux to lakes, memorials and famous inhabitants of the towns along the way etc.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Kleber,
    I was being sarcastic, I am sometimes... :roll:

:lol:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    Add points every time Paul mentions hydro-electric dams ("The French are very big on hydroelecrics, Phil...")

I believe the full quote from the Alpe D'Huez stage last year was....

You know Phil the French are very much the artisans of hydro electric power

Maybe they get free elastic trickery from the HE power companies everytime they mention it ;-)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    He's not lost any of his impetuous, Phil.
  • nosmo-king
    nosmo-king Posts: 47
    I like Paul Sherwin's " He's turned himself inside out"
    Also during Liquigas' first year on Le Tour, both Phil and Paul called them "Leakygas"!
    Make up your own jokes folks!
    Here's a box,a musical box. Wound up and ready to play.
    (brian Cant,Camberwick Green).
  • On last night's highlights: "he's literally flying up the mountain!"
  • jp1985
    jp1985 Posts: 434
    "Gustav Larsson vice olympic champion"
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Twin turbos today in relation to Fabian.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • symo
    Twin turbos today in relation to Fabian.
    +++++++++++++++++++++

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • I think Sherwen went even further than that and said 'triple turbos even, Phil!' at one point.

Also had to laugh when Ligget said "lance is really ripping up the road here" followed 10 seconds later by a time check that suggested he clearly wasn't.

I thought yesterday they were on proper Partridge form.
  • What about the level of innuendo?: "The 'massive engines' of Astana are going hard at it...!" (team time trial stage).
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    "Oh Phil, a flamingo!"

For a short moment of editing genius, go here:
    http://www.bicycleradio.com/
    Click on the itunes podcast link (you need itunes, I can't find a non-itunes link)
    Then listen to "Tour de France Stage 13" 8)
  • That was amazing well worth a listen... definitely 'full house' there for cliche bingo!
  • symo
    OK, for Ventoux there will have to be some mention of Simpson's death but what will they say about it?

Also will they relate the tales of cars being blown off the summit.

Plus I am getting my nominations in for "Well they do call it the giant of Provence"
    +++++++++++++++++++++

• Phil might describe it as "a brute". Although that designation is normally reserved for Hautacam.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    For the Mount Ventoux stage, Paul will use the following phrases:

"Phil, this is an interminable climb"

"He is going through all sorts of purgatory"

"He has lost none of his impetuous on this attack"

And of course, Phil:

"Every time he feels like he is slowing down, he gets out of his saddle"
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    Kléber wrote:
    "Oh Phil, a flamingo!"

Click on the itunes podcast link (you need itunes, I can't find a non-itunes link)

crying here! :lol::lol::lol:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • drumon
    drumon Posts: 175
    "THEY PUT THE HAMMER DOWN and immediately split the main field"
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    What are they doing carrying hammers on bikes in the first place?
  • Airmiles
    Airmiles Posts: 101
    The appropriate punishment for commentators capping a 5 minute discourse on agricultural yields with "cilantro" and "baysil"...... :roll:
    I'm not saying pedestrians in Hackney are stupid.. but a fixed bayonet would be more use than a fixed gear...
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Finally! After nearly three weeks...

"The Heads of State"

I thought I'd never hear it.
    Kléber wrote:
    "Oh Phil, a flamingo!"

That was genius :lol:
  • skut
    skut Posts: 371
    Woop

Heard it twice.

First it was "The heads of state of the Tour de France", the second time it was just "The heads of state".
  • mmitchell88
    mmitchell88 Posts: 340
    Kléber wrote:
    "Oh Phil, a flamingo!"

crying here! :lol::lol::lol:

Perhaps it's because I'm already drunk on red wine. But that's brilliant! Oh Phil, a flamingo!" Good find!

I'm going to have a headache.
    Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak.
    And then you put in the milk.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    People getting `assassinated' seemed to be Pauls new thing for this year, today had "Saxobank assassinating their own team", on the lower slopes of the Ventoux, doesn't sound like the best of team strategies..

Oh another from today, the traditional `dances on the pedals' was abbreviated to "[someone] attacks and Lance dances' ,which just sounds odd in isolation.
  • mmitchell88
    mmitchell88 Posts: 340
    fluff. wrote:
    People getting `assassinated' seemed to be Pauls new thing for this year, today had "Saxobank assassinating their own team", on the lower slopes of the Ventoux, doesn't sound like the best of team strategies..

Oh another from today, the traditional `dances on the pedals' was abbreviated to "[someone] attacks and Lance dances' ,which just sounds odd in isolation.

I'm watching the highlights and had this thread open when Phil just said, "Frank is going to have another go and Armstrong dances". It doesn't just sound odd - it sounds positively fruity!!
    Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak.
    And then you put in the milk.
  • Dunkeldog
    Dunkeldog Posts: 138
    David Harman seems obsessed with people being 'shelled out the back door'. Naturally, these riders all 'lose a packet' on the day.
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    Another Harmon moment I chuckled at whilst watching the highlights tonight. Nice helicopter shot of the Ventoux appeared showing the elevation and the fans roadside.

"The Ventoux, known as the bald mountian has been sprouting hair today, and people."
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    dunno about you guys but I heard heads of state loads of times over the last week...... gets on my nerves as well as all the lance obsequeism
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight