The Fat Club

Comments

• XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    gz girl.

I know this is going to be a really bad week for me as i've not done any riding since sunday due to all my blooming blisters! :evil:

So do some home circuits - upper body stuff. Press ups, pull ups, dips, anything.

I've had a dislocated shoulder - and still trained.
    I've had a busted knee - and still trained.

You can work around almost anything.

Sorry to drop in like an unwanted smell but you MUST harden up and all stop your excuses. Some of you are doing massive distances and that's amazing but some fall too easily.

I know as a non largey I'm not qualified but as an ex kickboxing instructor/torturer, I have helped a lot of people that think it can't be done, to just do it. The ones that stick with it make huge leaps in fitness and weight control.

I'll go now...

dont leave chap you have just made a huge piont there and i think it is a valid one to.
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    Briarquest wrote:
    Hi,
    almost did not ride today, one of my dogs had a bad break to its back leg and it is going to have to be amputated on Monday :(

OH NO!!!! :? :? :? :? :? Give him a gentle little scrubble behind the ears from me...
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • Ditch Witch
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    gz girl.

I know this is going to be a really bad week for me as i've not done any riding since sunday due to all my blooming blisters! :evil:

So do some home circuits - upper body stuff. Press ups, pull ups, dips, anything.

Sorry to drop in like an unwanted smell but you MUST harden up and all stop your excuses. Some of you are doing massive distances and that's amazing but some fall too easily.

I know as a non largey I'm not qualified but as an ex kickboxing instructor/torturer, I have helped a lot of people that think it can't be done, to just do it. The ones that stick with it make huge leaps in fitness and weight control.

I'll go now...

Well, you are qualified, really. Not being a largey means you're doing something right.

FWIW, I agree with you completely. On another forum I moderate, we started monthly goals. If you succeed, you get a medal to "wear" under your avatar for the next month. If you don't keep doing them, you lose your medal.

It sounds silly, but making that commitment makes me do things when i don't want to.

This month, one of my goals was to climb the stairs at work everyday. Every day I get to work and I don't want to, but I do it because I don't want to lose my medal. My other goal is to exercise, in any way, even if it's just a walk, 26 days out of 30. 3 days ago, all I could manage was pushups, tricep dips and abs, but it was something.

I can do 18 pushups now. It was 10 at the beginning of the month.

There is always something you can do, even if it's climbing the stairs in your house 20 times. Hell, you can do that in your pants.
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • MAXlMUS
    MAXlMUS Posts: 39
    I know people that eat and eat and do no exercise and still stay thin.....so I disagree....we are all different in metabolism,fitness,willpower...etc etc.

I used to teach Karate in my younger days....but things change..family,work,kids.....everyone has different circumstances...but saying that its time to get fit,,,again!!

Max
  • Briarquest
    Briarquest Posts: 93
    edited May 2011
    Hi,
    Ian
  • OwenB
    OwenB Posts: 606
    WIsh I had one of those metabolisms!
    One of my main difficulties is finding time to spend time with the Mrs and keep 4 kids entertained as well as finding time to get out and about and exercise. I do a few press up and sit up sessions a week which helps and I was getting up early to go for a run till my guts fired up again. The intention is to resume that once my heel is better as I really enjoy jogging and I find it brilliant to get the weight shifting.

My willpower isn't great though and I know I'm very easily distracted, however I intend to get myself in a lot better shape from now on, after realising that my stomach problems will be helped out with weight loss I know it's serious now.
  • XxxBFGxxX
    Briarquest wrote:
    Hi,
    thanks for the kind thoughts.

Cheshley.

They give you a map refference each week and that is where you meet up. This week it was up by Thirsk, they are doing a ride over the North York Moors soon and do Dalby forest quite often.

I just don't think I am fit enough to keep up with them yet.

BFG

I have two breeds of dog, Working Cockers and Dutch Police Shepherds.

Here is a link of me in Holland to bore the living daylights out of you :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy986PeogXs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwtL07MkB9w

Ian

i worked in the securit industry chap. we were trained by a ex miletry bloke. bilding searching and stuff liek that was a great laugh. we had a bvelguim malanay. i had as my work dog a sheperd.
  • Ditch Witch
    MAXlMUS wrote:
    I know people that eat and eat and do no exercise and still stay thin.....so I disagree....we are all different in metabolism,fitness,willpower...etc etc.

I used to teach Karate in my younger days....but things change..family,work,kids.....everyone has different circumstances...but saying that its time to get fit,,,again!!

Max

Max, those people may not do exercise, but they will be moving more. Fidgeting, "ants in their pants", even sitting up straight, etc. It's called NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis). It is NOT their metabolism.

Normal metabolism is virtually the same in 95% of the population and too many people blame their metabolisms for their weight problems. Don't fall into that trap.

Yes, we all have willpower differences. No one should use that as an excuse either.

And fitness! The less fit you are the more calories you burn just walking around the block.
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • MAXlMUS
    The moving and fidgetting is the difference and not a conscious act ....lets call that their metabolism?

Max
  • Surf-Matt wrote:

I'll go now...

I agree about the mentality of just doing something.

Sunday I did 20 miles
    Monday was rest day
    So tuesday I walked for 4-5 miles and got the blisters.
    Wednesday I cycled on the exercise bike
    Thursday I walked several more miles including up and down several flights of stairs @ the hospital. However, I just made the blisters worse in doing so and got additional blisters on my heels.
    Friday has been rest.

Re upper body...
    I was doing upper body weights and situps about a month ago but re-injured my back so stopped and concentrated on leg work and cycling.
    I started doing pressups a fortnight ago to gently work my way back in and have been doing significantly more since sunday, but it looks like I've still got a trapped nerve from a car crash I was in last year and my right arm swells up and I keep losing sensation in it whenever I walk or cycle. And unfortunately the back pain from the pressups has left me unable to move my neck much.
    The car crash also severed some blood vessels in my head which took me about 3 months before I could move without passing out. And it damaged my inner ear so I had to do a lot of physio to retrain my balance. I moved to a real bike about a month after my last fall whilst just trying to walk so it was a real test for me which has worked brilliantly - apart from this trapped nerve which still hasnt healed.

I never bothered mentioning it as I dont want to moan about my problems, but I'm not going to mess about with my back too much and risk damaging things further.
    Blisters on the other hand I've never really had any before despite doing a fair amount of hiking in the past. Bad socks I've been wearing recently I guess.

I suppose I should also mention I have 3 screws holding my leg together, which unfortunately prevents me from applying much stress to it like weights or jogging.

All that the asthma and being partially blind in both eyes are the main health issues.

And like you I've trained through things. I've dislocated my right patella about 100 times over 10 years and my left patella about 50 times over the same period. I shattered my right kneecap during one dislocation but still got in the pool to do my 1250m routine. All these years I just unstrap my leg braces by the side of the pool or the exercise bike at the gym and just get moving.

Depending on how the back feels tomorrow I was planning on riding through the blisters to see if 1 days rest is enough. Its new to me - I dont know how much time to give them to heal. Obviously I've just learned that 1 night isnt enough. I'm also carrying another stupid 'injury' on my right foot after riding barefoot for 2 hours on my exercise bike and the pedal groves cutting a row of several 1 inch long strips down my sole which reopen with every ride and have been bleeding for the last 2 weeks now. But I've ignored it and just got on with it.

So does this additional info make it look like I'm just getting on with it or just giving in?
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    Briarquest wrote:
    They give you a map refference each week and that is where you meet up. This week it was up by Thirsk, they are doing a ride over the North York Moors soon and do Dalby forest quite often.

I just don't think I am fit enough to keep up with them yet.

I don't blame you, I've been considering looking for a cycling club to join but everythere I've looked the homepage is covered in pictures of exceedingly fit people wearing lycra, and (a) I'm not exceedingly fit and (b) I don't look good in lycra. I still think that the suggestion made early on in this thread of a 'Fat Club' ride is a good one tho, there seems to be a few people who live in this general area at make this do-able.

I've ridden in Dalby a couple of times and don't think much to it. The difference between the blue route (wide fire roads - 6 miles) and the red route (loooong singletrack, drop-offs, STEEP rocky switchback descents - 20+ miles) is stupid. I bottled out of a lot of the downhill sections the first time I went while my mate rode them all but he lives 5 miles away from there so rides it all the time but even he was saying recently that the downhill sections are getting washed away over winter and he's starting to bottle out of them now too. I've recently discovered Sherwood Pines and really enjoy it there. The red route is only about 9.5 miles and is singletrack all the way but there's nothing technical about it. Loads more fun than riding the local flat woods but nothing that has me getting off and hoofing. A couple of mates have been to Glentress recently and can't recommend it highly enough. There is a skills section so you can practice the type of things you'll encounter out on the trails and apparently the Blue route splits and has blue graded sections and also red graded sections so you can see if you'd be up to riding the full red route without getting halfway round it and discovering you've run out of talent. Unfortunately, Google says it's a 4 hour drive so that's a weekend away and with our first baby due in 8 weeks (or is it 7...?) I don't think I'll be getting my pass stamped for that any time soon. :lol:
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • OwenB
    Told myself I shouldn't do it as I'm only half way through my diet week but I had to weigh myself this morning. I started at 20st 10 on Wednesday and this morning I weighed in at 20st 6 so I'm well chuffed, just hope now that the weight loss continues in the same vein :)
  • Ditch Witch
    MAXlMUS wrote:
    The moving and fidgetting is the difference and not a conscious act ....lets call that their metabolism?

Max

No, because it's not :lol: My point is that the difference between thin people and large people is movement, not metabolism.
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • Ditch Witch
    edited June 2009
    OwenB wrote:
    Told myself I shouldn't do it as I'm only half way through my diet week but I had to weigh myself this morning. I started at 20st 10 on Wednesday and this morning I weighed in at 20st 6 so I'm well chuffed, just hope now that the weight loss continues in the same vein :)

Why didn't you think you should do it?

You really should weigh yourself every day or not at all, just to learn how your body changes naturally.

And 4lbs is awesome! :D:D:D
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Thanks for not lambasting me.

My sister, now 25 had always been on the large side. She suddenly got the running bug despite lifelong asthma and is now barely a size 10 - but fit - no dangerous over slimming.

What needs to be done is to set your excuses up (metabolism, work, kids, etc) up like they are targets on a firing range and shoot them down.

Metabolism - I think this is massively overplayed. If you eat x calories and don't burn them off, you get bigger - simple.
    Work - anyone can fit in half to one hours exercise a day (me and my wife run a busy PR company and have a little 9 month old boy - we bot make sure we get at least an hour a day in)
    Kids - your kids will want a fit mum/dad that can play with them. if anything I have found having a little one more of an incentive to stay fit.
    Motivation - it takes so little exercise (half an hour a day) to make the difference between being that trim fit bloke and being that tubby one. You'll also look better.

TimesLikeThese - flipping eck you've had some setbacks - I don't see them as poor excuses. Perfectly legitimate and a real shame for you but keep on doing what your doing - amazingly I reckon.

I'm falling to bits - dodgy knee, shoulder, hip, get sinusitis a lot from surfing, etc - but still always exercise and feel wrong if I don't - it helps so many things - you stave off illnesses, you don't get lethargic, you just feel good.

It's worth it!

Okay - too much information. Time to slink off for a surf...!
  • OwenB
    OwenB wrote:

Why didn't you think you should do it?

You really should weigh yourself every day or not at all, just to learn how your body changes naturally.

I've just been told not to in the past, sorry miss :oops: Also I've no scales at my house, I'm at my parents this morning so weighed in here :D

Still I'm happy with myself :)
  • Ditch Witch
    And so you should be! Sorry, I'm getting ready for a ride, so I didn't add the well deserved congrats :)
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • XxxBFGxxX
    MAXlMUS wrote:

Max

the difference between thin people and large people is movement, .

its mad that you say this.

I can run faster tan some of my skinny mates. not for long periods i will add due to asthma and hay fevour

I can also out ride most of my skinny mates when we hit a sprint.

And when i was a bad lad i could fight i.e. thro punches real fast. and still can

alot of my mates cant belive how fast i can move for a fat bloke.

i dont know if this is coz i ama lot fitter than ithink or i am a freak of the fat world lmfao
  • Ditch Witch
    XxxBFGxxX wrote:
    MAXlMUS wrote:

Max

the difference between thin people and large people is movement, .

its mad that you say this.

I can run faster tan some of my skinny mates. not for long periods i will add due to asthma and hay fevour

I can also out ride most of my skinny mates when we hit a sprint.

And when i was a bad lad i could fight i.e. thro punches real fast. and still can

alot of my mates cant belive how fast i can move for a fat bloke.

i dont know if this is coz i ama lot fitter than ithink or i am a freak of the fat world lmfao

I was speaking purely about movement vs metabolism, not food, which is obviously a (if no the) deciding factor.

Bearing that in mind, though, why is it mad? I have really, really strong legs, so can lope up a steep hill faster than even my husband (to be) practically. So what? I can't keep it up for much longer than 30 or 40 feet because I'm hauling more weight than he is. He will eventually overtake me. We eat the same food, but he's thinner because he cycles 30 miles a day. I don't.

I don't quite see the comparison between what you're capable of speed wise and how MUCH you move?

When maximus talks of people that "never exercise but can eat whatever they want", he's speaking of people that move more (they'd HAVE TO BE), whether they're exercising (in the conventional sense) or not.
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • Briarquest
    edited May 2011
    Hi
  • MAXlMUS
    Well, me and my Bruv (Regal) went round Rutland Water water yesterday 23.3 miles if memory serves.

Great weather and a great day and not the leisurely ride the guys at the bike shop would lead you to believe. Great variation and the scenery was breathtaking I recommend it to anyone that hasnt already done it!.

Max

p.s. I ran out of water and we had to fill up at the pub toilets....I think my brother got mine from the Bowl. :)
  • Cheshley
    Which pub Max? You been in The Finches....?
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Briarquest
    edited May 2011
    Hi folks,

Ian
  • bramstoker
    bramstoker Posts: 250
    Well just back from a jaunt 32 miles in 2 hours 20, not flat out all the way but a fair bit of it :?
    feel bone tired now but i did do 10 miles XC this morning as well and had a huge off :cry:
    but what dont kill us ect ect, lets hope that lot shifts a few pounds this week for me :D
    A feather is kinky, a whole chicken is just perverse.
  • Briarquest
    Well done, hell of a speed and distance.

Ian
  • Briarquest
    Hi,
    checked my bodyfat today I have gone from 39.2% to 38.9%. Based on my last weight on 160.2kg I should have lost 1.6kg of fat from my body :)

Lets hope its right.

Ian
  • Ditch Witch
    Nice work, BQ ;)
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • Cheshley
    I managed to drag myself out at 7am this morning, rode 9.8 miles to a mate's house in exactly 36 minutes, did a steady 11 miles with him on an MTB and at his pace, and then rode the 9.8miles back home in 34min 51 seconds. While my legs were hurting during the ride home, I'm pleased to report that as of 23:04 tonight, I'm feeling good and planning to go out again tomorrow :)
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• rob_mafia
    rob_mafia Posts: 136
    Nice one dude, I'm deffo out tomorrow at some point, might do my Hatfield, thorne stainey route, it's 12 miles and pretty flat ish so can get some good times
  • I'm being monitored by the hospital dietitian every couple of months and weighed by the practice nurse every four weeks. After the advice given by the dietitian I've completely switched my diet around and, believe it or not, have increased the amount I eat everyday and managed to lose 10.5 pounds in the first three weeks.

I've not ridden properly for about ten years now and am seriously overweight at the moment. I can't tell you my exact weight in stones and pounds but in firkins it's two firkin much! In seriousness I didn't ask what my current weight was as I'm more interested in how much is coming off.

The main goal is to lose enough weight to actually get out on the bike again without fear of destroying the wheels! It's hard to believe now that I completed the coast-to-coast solo when I was in my early 20s.
    Starting Weight: 25 st 13.44 lbs - On: 20/05/09
    Current Weight: 16 st 7 lbs - On: 10/11/12
    Weight Loss: 9 st 6.44 lbs
    Current BMR: 2095 Calories