The Fat Club

Comments

• MAXlMUS
    MAXlMUS Posts: 39
    OwenCB ....Just to let you know it can be done m8!

Contrary to popular belief....weightwatchers is a very successful diet program , even for us fitness fanatics.

I followed it religiously for 10 months about 4 yrs ago and lost 5 and a half stone...the problem is maintaining it.

my 2 penneth worth

Max
  • bramstoker
    bramstoker Posts: 250
    12 months ago yesterday i was 27 stone 2 lb, i do weight watchers, not the meetings but just counting the points. I gym most mornings and have been trying to do 15 or 20 miles a day on the bike which im really starting to enjoy. I also had my first XC session this weekend and loving that as well. Anyway as of yesterday i was 20 stone 2lb which im very pleased with and im still heading down :D
    A feather is kinky, a whole chicken is just perverse.
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    bramstoker wrote:
    12 months ago yesterday i was 27 stone 2 lb, i do weight watchers, not the meetings but just counting the points. I gym most mornings and have been trying to do 15 or 20 miles a day on the bike which im really starting to enjoy. I also had my first XC session this weekend and loving that as well. Anyway as of yesterday i was 20 stone 2lb which im very pleased with and im still heading down :D

Muchos congrats, that's an impressive result :D
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • lovewales
    lovewales Posts: 411
    Hi all I'm becks and and I'm a foodaholic :D

Anyhow reading some of the stories on here has encouraged me to get back on the wagon. I have always been on the large side but recently i have been growing :oops: My main aim is to get some bike gear that fits especially shorts as my current ones are going thread bare and they don't make them anymore.

Plus I'd really like to go into a bike shop and be treated seriously (when i went to get my current bike they tried to flog me a £150 'ladies bike'), everything changed once they realised what I was after and now they know me it's not so bad. Although I do get some very funny looks from some of the blokes when I'm down there.

Anyhow my main motivation is I want to know what it like to be a 'normal' size and also for my health, I have just been diagnosed with high cholesterol and I am at high risk of type 2 diabetes.

It would also be nice not to have to put up with comments from the kids at school.

Anyway deep breath, breathe slowly .... I know I can do it.... can't believe I'm typing this... oh well 118Kgs (18.6 stones) at 5'6", I lost 5 kilos 2 months ago but put it back on last month :oops: Current target is 100Kg it will then be readjusted
    If every action has an equal and opposite reaction does that mean I will be eaten by a fly?
  • Briarquest
    Briarquest Posts: 93
    edited May 2011
    Hi,
    we Ian
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Right just got on the scales. 5 kg more than the last time i was on them.

Lets make this a sticky and get it off.

:lol:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cheshley
    Briarquest wrote:
    Hi,
    we should try and arrange a fat club cycle ride :)

Ian

quality idea
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Lol - the synchronised wiggling thought just wont go away!

I think I need to learn how to ride first tho'. Had my first 'Over the Handlebars Experience' at the weekend. As I flew through the air I awarded myself 10 points for a superb superman impersonation. Swiftly followed through with a graceful belly-flop manoeuver into the gravel. Fortunately the ample padding did its job and I jumped back on the bike, whistling away as if nothing had happened. :oops:

@bramstoker - cracking start there mate!
  • Briarquest
    Briarquest Posts: 93
    edited May 2011
    Hi
    Ian
  • Cheshley
    I have a mate who lives near Malton and I know how hilly it is. That's gonna hurt :oops:
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• MAXlMUS
    MAXlMUS Posts: 39
    Whats the best was to measure bodyfat?..is there some tool you can buy?

TIA

Max
  • OwenB
    OwenB Posts: 606
    edited June 2009
    Hi again, not sure what happened but I seemed to have posted last night using a profile that I stopped using as I couldn't log on here with.
    Anyway, I'm still Owen and I'm still fat but hopefully reducing in size. I'll get some scales and weigh in as soon as possible.
    As for weight watchers, that's how I'm aiming to get the weight off, I know it works for me and the fact that I get so many points for being a tubber means I still get plenty to eat and won't feel hungry. I just need to be able to take part in some exercise, so even though it's not exactly hardcore I'm going to go for a good long walk tonight as that's about all I can manage at the moment with my achilles problem.

One of my main problems with being large is that when I take part in a sport I do like to have clothes specific to that sport so I want to use cycling clothing. I'm ok with padded shorts but I really struggle to get decent baggies and tops to wear that don't cling to me, so if any of you other "larger" gents can recommend anything please let me know.

Edited to mention that I have now weighed myself and I'm currently 20st10, so 2 pounds heavier than I was about a month ago. Will have to keep my motivation going and get it off!

Anyway thanks for the support and hopefully we can all reach our goals in time.
  • OwenB
    MAXlMUS wrote:
    Whats the best was to measure bodyfat?..is there some tool you can buy?

TIA

Max

I know this is approximate but I've just done it and it said I have a whopping 25.2% body fat based upon my last known weight level. It also says I have 72.6 Pounds of fat and 215.4 Pounds of lean (muscle, bone, body water).
    So if I lost about 5 stone and got to the 16 I'd like it seems I'd be pretty lean. Cool 8)
    http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html
  • SpacemanSpiff
    SpacemanSpiff Posts: 1,819
    As I'm obviously going to be joining this little club, and I'm just getting back into my XC riding, I was wondering what kind og milage you guys think you're doing per week ?

I mean I see alot of you having success, so just curious what that success is costing in actual milage ?
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    In answer to Spaceman, 130+ miles in the last week and a half on a SS road bike.... Was going to ride today as well, but forecast is awful. So rowing machine for me today. (plus I'm hoping my new frame arrives today and dont really wanna go out....)

Just tried Owens link to see how much body fat I have...

You have 30.1% body fat.

You have 33.7 Kilograms of fat and 78.3 Kilograms of lean (muscle, bone, body water).

I actually think its lower than that, as my legs are pretty powerful... But as a base measurement, its fine. 8)
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Cheshley
    so Hobbes has turned up, and now Spaceman Spiff..... Where's Calvin? :lol:
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• Cheshley
    OwenB wrote:
    One of my main problems with being large is that when I take part in a sport I do like to have clothes specific to that sport so I want to use cycling clothing. I'm ok with padded shorts but I really struggle to get decent baggies and tops to wear that don't cling to me, so if any of you other "larger" gents can recommend anything please let me know.

I have some padded shorts and cargo pants with zip off legs that I use as shorts. I got them from High & Mighty a few years ago, cost a few quid but very comfy. I find that the cycling specific clothing goes nowhere near the size I need and I'm only a 38/40 and the baggies I've tried on in the past aren't all that baggy by the time I've got them on although I understand that Endura Singletrack shorts are more generous than usual. For shirts, try your local Soccer Sport outlet. I tend to use football shirts as they are made of similar material to cycling tops and if it's a bit cooler out I throw a Helly Hansen baselayer on under it or my Gorewear jacket over the top. Just make sure you're not wearing anything made of cotton cos that just soaks up sweat and gets very uncomfortable and cold.

Try online places like Jacamo.co.uk, or google for 'big tall clothing' or similar.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• ratty2k
    Yep, the Endura clothing (well the shorts anyway) are available in XXL size, fit me OK... Gill jackets are quite large, the one you'll see me wearing (blue one) is ample big enough for me... Worth a look at?
    My Pics !

• OwenB
    Cheers, I have some endura zyme shorts which fit ok on the legs but are a little :oops: tight on the waist, but my singletracks seem to be a bit tighter fitting on my thighs which are on the chunky side.
    Hopefully in a month or two the gut (which is wear I carry most of my weight) will be a lot slimmer and I can fit into a wider range of clothing.
    I do have a large frame as well and I thought I'd try some freeride jerseys as they are supposed to be bigger fitting and when I tried some of the Sombrio and Dakine stuff I thought they'd labelled them wrongly 2XL and still slim fitting and tight on the chest and shoulders.
  • Cheshley
    Cycling clothing sizes are a law unto themselves. What is XL from one manufacturer would be XXXL from another. Buying online from Wiggle is usually a safe bet because they provide the manufacturers sizing guide.

What's wrong with things just being labelled as the measurement it's designed for instead of calling it LARGE and leaving people to guess what the clothing designer's idea of LARGE is?

rant over

(for now)
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• Wow i no longer feel so bad knowing there are others like me

Well my name is Simon i am just over 21 stone and 38 y/o, i am aiming for about 15-16 stone in the long run and 18 stone in the next 12-18 months

I currently ride an On-one Inbred geared all rigid (i dont like suspension) and if i hit my target of 18 stone i am going to treat myself to a Surly 1x1 as i ahve allways wanted one.

Sadly i have a crappy desk job and i am a massive chocoholic and i mean massive, in addition to this i have a sleep disorder that makes things really tough, but the weight loss will help here.

How do i plan on doing it well i intend on gettin out o my bike regular building up slowly untill i can commute to work (6-8 miles all uphill on the way in leaving at 5am) dietry wise i first of all will cut all the crap and junk out of my diet apart from chocolate, if i have it i must earn it though hehe.

good luck to all here :)
  • Cheshley
    GROUP HUG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• OwenB
    Wow i no longer feel so bad knowing there are others like me

Well my name is Simon i am just over 21 stone and 38 y/o, i am aiming for about 15-16 stone in the long run and 18 stone in the next 12-18 months

I currently ride an On-one Inbred geared all rigid (i dont like suspension) and if i hit my target of 18 stone i am going to treat myself to a Surly 1x1 as i ahve allways wanted one.

Sadly i have a crappy desk job and i am a massive chocoholic and i mean massive, in addition to this i have a sleep disorder that makes things really tough, but the weight loss will help here.

How do i plan on doing it well i intend on gettin out o my bike regular building up slowly untill i can commute to work (6-8 miles all uphill on the way in leaving at 5am) dietry wise i first of all will cut all the crap and junk out of my diet apart from chocolate, if i have it i must earn it though hehe.

good luck to all here :)

Hey, as I mentioned earlier, I'm trying to lose weight using the weightwatchers program, for me it's good in that I can eat what I like as long as it's within my points for the day. That means I can enjoy a bar of chocolate a day (I'm a chocoholic too) and any exercise I do (when I'm able) can either be built up as extra points if I need to. When I've done weight watchers in the past I have not used the bonus points from exercise though.
    Good luck with it though am sure with regular exercise you'll benefit from the sucess that a lot of the others on this thread have already achieved. I'm hoping I do too.
  • ratty2k
    One thing that helped me, there is a calorie counter on my rowing machine, when you look at 20 mins of rowing (according to the not too accurate readings..) it takes me 20 mins of rowing to get rid of it! When you look at a couple of Mars bars, and then what an hour of steady cycling to burn that off... :)
    I too have a massive sweet tooth, and I find not eating chocolate harder than packing in smoking!
    My Pics !

• Cheshley
    I have asked my other (better?) half to stop buying stuff like crisps and choccy bars. I'm not working at the minute so when she goes out and I'm sat here all day the temptation is to snack instead of making something proper to eat. If it's not there I can't eat it. Instead we stock up on fruit so as a reward for spending an hour boxing on the Wii this morning I treated myself to a nice slice of melon. It's been like that for a few weeks now and it's surprising how quickly I got out of the habit of going to the snack cupboard to the extent that if she does buy something now I don't know it's there cos I'm not going looking for it. Last week I threw some snack bars away because they had gone out of date before I even knew we had them!!!!
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• bramstoker
    OwenB wrote:
    Hey, as I mentioned earlier, I'm trying to lose weight using the weightwatchers program, for me it's good in that I can eat what I like as long as it's within my points for the day. That means I can enjoy a bar of chocolate a day (I'm a chocoholic too) and any exercise I do (when I'm able) can either be built up as extra points if I need to. When I've done weight watchers in the past I have not used the bonus points from exercise though.
    Good luck with it though am sure with regular exercise you'll benefit from the sucess that a lot of the others on this thread have already achieved. I'm hoping I do too.

Out of interest Owen how do you work out the points gained from exercise? I knew that the points were sort of flexible ie keeping some spare for a blowout the next day, but i never considered getting extras.
  • OwenB
    bramstoker wrote:
    OwenB wrote:

Out of interest Owen how do you work out the points gained from exercise? I knew that the points were sort of flexible ie keeping some spare for a blowout the next day, but i never considered getting extras.
    From what I've gained from the weightwatchers website you can carry 4 points over every day anyway, I'm a member of their online resources and it works it out for you dependent on the duration and severity of exercise. Apparently you can earn back 1.5 points for ten minutes of strenuous cycling! That's twenty minutes for a Double Decker :D anything else should help you lose weight
  • bramstoker
    Thanks Owen, if it works fair enough.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    ***runs in***

My name is Matt, I'm 34, have 9% bodyfat and weigh 11.5 stone and recently won an off road triathlon.

***grabs coat runs out***

Sorry, couldn't resist :wink: :twisted: :lol::lol:
  • OwenB
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    ***runs in***

My name is Matt, I'm 34, have 9% bodyfat and weigh 11.5 stone and recently won an off road triathlon.

***grabs coat runs out***

Sorry, couldn't resist :wink: :twisted: :lol::lol:

Nobody likes a show off :D